INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
Equivalent to free postage
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
BOOKS FOR SALE:
FOREIGN (NON-ENGLISH) LANGUAGE BOOKS & SHEET MUSIC ** FRENCH LANGUAGE BOOKS ** GERMAN LANGUAGE BOOKS ** ABORIGINAL LANGUAGE BOOKS ** FOREIGN-ENGLISH DICTIONARIES.
Check this on our online database, updated frequently !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. About, Edmond (1862). Le Cas de M. Guerin (1st ed) [French language]. Paris: Michel Levy Freres, Libraires Editeurs. 199 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, very good condition, quarter-bound, marbled board covers, leather spine (bands, faded gilt lettering & vignettes), marbled endpapers, minor edgewear. First edition, French language novel. Includes "Le 41e Fauteuil" (24p, at rear). Entertaining novel in which Mr. Guerin, without being a hermaphrodite, carries a pregnancy to term and gives birth to a son. Our Book No: 16697. $30 AUD.
2. Adler, Victor (1922). Victor Adlers Aufsatze, Reden und Briefe Heft 1: Victor Adler und Friedrich Engels [Victor Adler's Essays, Speeches and Letters, Volume 1: Victor Adler and Friedrich Engels]. Wien (Vienna): Wiener Volksbuchhandlung (Vienna's Bookstore). 192 pp. Paperback trade, good plus condition, rubber stamp, top spine repaired, cover & pages toned, edges lightly foxed. German language book (volume 1 of 11 volumes), edited by the Party Leaders of the German Social Democratic Party of Austria. Our Book No: 13412. $15 AUD.
3. Aeschylus; Postgate, Raymond (editor) (1969). The Agamemnon of Aeschylus. Cambridge: Rampant Lions Press. 141 pp. Hardback large octavo, no jacket (glassine jacket missing), very good condition, brown cloth cover (gilt spine lettering on black label), bookplate, autograph (author's written name). The first of a trilogy of Greek tragedies written by Aeschylus in the 5th century BC. King Agamemnon returns from the Trojan War and is murdered by his wife. A private press book. Text edited by Raymond Postgate, with an introduction, a commentary and a translation into modern English prose. (Limited edition of 500 unnumbered autographed copies. Text in Greek and English. Bookplate of Geoffrey Farmer, Australian librarian and researcher of private press books.). ISBN/ASIN: B000VE724C. Our Book No: 15658. $40 AUD.
4. Ailion, Charlie; Sennin, Horuku (introduction) (1959). Bando Hooroku: A Master Potter. Kobe, Japan: Self-published: Charlie Ailion. 104 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, very good condition, black & white plates (full-page photos), inner hinge split (pages firm), papered board cover lightly toned (rear cover little marked), minor edgewear, autograph (author's written & dated dedication). Charlie Ailion provides a self-published illustrated biography of Japanese master potter Bando Hooroku. There is a block of 27 plates at the centre of the book. At the front is an introduction and preface in English, and at the rear Japanese-language equivalent text. Includes an introduction by Horoku Sennin (and his photo). Plus an appendix of artist signatures and imprints. The author has written previous books on pottery, as well as books on his wartime experiences (WW2) in Japan. Our Book No: 16442. $100 AUD.
5. Allan (1957). Songs for Everyone with Piano Accompaniment [Plate B.6865]. Melbourne, Adelaide, Bendigo: Allan & Co. 84 pp. Paperback small folio, very good condition, top corner front cover creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. Sheet music for a remarkable 92 popular and folk songs. Subtitle: Popular English, American songs, German, Irish, Italian, Neapolitan, Scottish, Welsh, etc. Chord symbols included for piano accordeon (accordion), guitar, ukulele, banjo. In the original language and-or with English words. For example: Around the Corner (Army song), Bonnie Wee Thing (Robert Burns), Farewell (German folk song), Farewell to Naples, Aloette (French-Canadian), Foggy Foggy Dew (Irish American). (Latest copyright date, 1957.). Our Book No: 17754. $30 AUD.
6. Allevi, Giovanni (2008). In Viaggio con la Strega. Milano: Rizzoli. 196 pp. Paperback small octavo (with flaps), very good plus condition, many colour photos (some full-page). An illustrated book about by the popular modern Italian composer and pianist about his tours and way of life. Title in English: "Travelling with the Witch". Blurb translation rear cover: "If this is a collective madness destined to run out, I'm glad to have been there in just enough to say 'I was there' ". ISBN/ASIN: 9788817027342. Our Book No: 16255. $20 AUD.
7. Ambrose, Margaret (2005). How to be French (1st ed). Sydney, Frenchs Forest: New Holland. 238 pp. Paperback wide octavo, card covers (with flaps), very good condition, bottom corner tip little bumped front cover, minor edgewear & rubbing. The story of how Margaret Ambrose became a fluent French-speaking journalist, jetsetting to Paris to interview some of France's most famous actors and musicians. Much discussion about her French language classes at Alliance Francaise in Melbourne. She learns the French character. For example, the French 'foof’ (a distinctive puffed breathing noise) to show disapproval, annoyance or incredulity. (1 of 2 available copies.). ISBN/ASIN: 1741102448. Our Book No: 25045. $12 AUD.
8. an-Nabhani, Taqiuddin (1990). The Social System in Islam (3rd ed). London: Al-Khilafah Publications. 196 pp. Paperback large trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. Taqiuddin an-Nabhani provides an exposition of the social system of Islam. He is the founder of Hizb-ut-Tahrir, a fundamentalist Islamic group. He states he strictly applies Shari'ah rules, paying no attention to the onslaught of Western culture upon Muslims, nor succumbing to the views of some Muslim scholars who seek to excessively curtail the activities of woman. Seeks to re-establish the Khilafah "so that men and women can live under its shade in submission to the commands of their Creator". Contains some Arabic text (quotations). ISBN/ASIN: 1899574085. Our Book No: 15080. $30 AUD.
9. Arresto, C. G. H.; van Goor, S.; Jacobus, J. W. (translator) (1805). De Oost-Indien-Vaarer: Tooneelspel in Vier Bedrijven naar Het Hoogduitsch van C. G. H. Arresto (2nd ed) [Dutch language]. Amsterdam: H. Moolenijzer. 168 pp. Hardback small, good condition, no jacket, very good condition, marbled board covers (dark brown leatherette spine), vignette title page, pages little wavy (poor quality paper, minor creasing), untrimmed (edges roughly cut & toned), edgewear, minor annotation. (Dutch language.) Second edition. An historic play translated from German into Dutch. Title (in English): "The East-Indiaman: A Stage Play in Three Acts”. SCARCE: published in 1805. (Dutch languagr.). Our Book No: 16590. $80 AUD.
10. Bachmann, G. (Georges) (1905). Les Sylphes: Impromptu-valse pour Piano [Plate: 3279]. London: Schott & Co. 8 pp. Paperback folio, very good condition, pamphlet (stitched spine, small archival tape repairs), covers lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, corner tips few pages creased. (Estimated date, 1900s, WorldCat. No copyright date.) Sheet music, piano seul (underlined), cost 2 shillings. Edition Facilitee. "A Mon Eleve Louis Hielard.". Our Book No: 13837. $12 AUD.
11. Balazs, Arpad (1973). Tizennegy Konnyu Zongoradarab / Fourteen Easy Pieces for Piano. Budapest: Editio Musica. 24 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, stapled card cover, very good condition, minimal edgewear. Sheet music for piano by Hungarian composer. Our Book No: 13840. $25 AUD.
12. Barnichon, Gilles; Roullet, Pierrick (1998). De Grasse: Empress of Australia / Venezuela. Le Touvet, France: Editions Marcel-Didier. 144 pp. Paperback small oblong quarto, very good condition, black & white text-photos (mostly full-page), glossy paper, minor edgewear. The British-built but French ocean liner "De Grasse" has had an eventful career. For 40 years, she went through a world war, several conversions and sales, and two sinkings. It re-opened the French Line Transatlantic service in 1947, and later became "Empress of Australia" and "Empress of Venezuela" under different national flags. A superbly illustrated book based on archival material. Parallel text in French and English. ISBN/ASIN: 2910821145. Our Book No: 16404. $45 AUD.
13. Biard D'Aunet, [Georges] (1907). L'Aurore Australe [French language]. Paris: Librairie Plon: Plon-Nourrit et Cie, Impimeurs-Editeurs. 403 pp. Hardback very small, goodcondition, marbled cloth cover, leather spine (gilt spine lettering, raised bands, sticker mark), marbled endpapers, pages toned as usual, minimal EX-LIBRARY (rubber stamps, label remnants front cover), edgewear, minor annotation first pages. (French language.) Subtitle: "La societe australienne, le socialisme en Australie, la constitution australienne et son fonctionnement, la valeur et la situation materielles de l'Australie, l'Australie vue de dehors." An interesting French perspective on Australian society and politics contemporary with the birth of the Commonwealth of Australia. Based on personal observations from 1893 to 1905 plus two published articles. Our Book No: 17029. $30 AUD.
14. Bizet, Georges (1925). Flower Song (La Fleur Que tu M'Avais Jetee) from the Opera Carmen: No 2 in D Flat. London / Sydney: J. B. Cramer & Co. / W. H. Paling. 4 + 4 pp. Paperback quarto, looseleaf, very good condition, internal bottom corners creased, minor edgewear. Sheet music for piano, with parallel text in English and French. Advert for J. B. Cramer on rear cover: Songs with a World-Wide Popularity. (Estimated date, 1920s, Trove catalogue.) Our Book No: 14653. $10 AUD.
15. Bohm, Carl; Morgan, Mrs John P. (1915). Still as the Night (Still wie die Nacht): Song [Plate: B4331]. Melbourne: Allan & Co. 6 pp. Paperback quarto, looseleaf (toned tape remnants at joins), good condition, covers minimally foxed, little loose at fold repaired, pages little toned, minor edgewear. (Estimated copyright, 1910s - Trove catalogue.) Sheet music for this old German Love song, Opus 326, no 27. No 2 style underlined. Lyrics in German and English languages. English lyrics by Mrs Morgan, the only translation authorised by the publisher. By arrangement with Alfred Lengnick & Co., London. Our Book No: 14853. $10 AUD.
16. Bosse, Abraham; Blum, Andre (1924). L'Oeuvre Grave D'Abraham Bosse [French language]. Paris: Editions Albert Morance. 94 + 44 pp. Hardback wide (folder), thick papered board cover, red cloth spine (gilt lettering), very good condition, ribbon ties, booklet & sheets (engravings) loosely inserted, booklet top edges uncut, cover corner little bumped (top edge little worn). (French language.)A collection of 44 looseleaf engravings by 17th century French artist Abraham Bosse, presented in a stiff card folder with ribbon ties, together with a 94-page booklet, being an introduction to the 44 looseleaf plates. Our Book No: 14380. $80 AUD.
17. Brahms, Johannes; Whistler, Robert (translator) (1931). Brahms: 15 Selected Songs - English and German Words: Book Two [Plate: 3083]. London: Alfred Lengnick & Co. 64 pp. Paperback large quarto, good plus condition, spine torn & repaired, corners little worn, pages lightly toned. (Copyright date: 1931.) Sheet music from the German composer. Low Voice underlined. Poems that inspired some of the best-loved songs of Brahms, in dual English and German text. The 15 are: Love and the Lilac Flower; Twilight; Nightingale; On the Lake; Swallow From Over the Sea; Constancy; No Longer to Entreat You; Ever Lighter; The Message; To a Violet; Haven (In How Kind a Fashion); Why Go Barefoot, Pretty One; Parting; Serenade; Roses Three. Our Book No: 13882. $15 AUD.
18. Buchbinder, Bernhard; Jarno, Georg (music) (1910). Das Musikantenmadel: Operette in 3 Akten. Stuttgart: Julius Feuchtinger. 85 pp. Paperback small folio, pictorial card cover (lightly soiled), cloth spine binding (frayed), good plus condition, front hinge little split (pages firm), corner tips front cover removed, inside covers lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, rubber shop stamp, edgewear. (Copyright date: 1931.) Piano sheet music and text for this German opera: The Musician's Girl. Signed cover painting of seated man and kneeling girl near piano. Our Book No: 13888. $30 AUD.
19. Clouzot, M.-R. (Marie-Rose) (1961). Jardin d'Enfants: 19 Easy Pieces for Piano, Chosen and Fingered by M.-R. Clouzot [Collection Alpha]. Paris: Editions Henry Lemoine. 30 pp. Paperback folio, very good condition, card cover (stapled), minor edgewear. (Latest copyright date, 1961.) Subtitle: First book - Easy to moderately difficult. The pieces by diverse composers were chosen by Clouzot, a professor of musical education in Paris, to initiate children to the procedures of modern writing, as much for harmonics as for rhythmics. Easy pieces include Melody, Shepherd's Song, and Ronda. The more difficult pieces include a range of sonority, etc. Popular and jazz pieces have been notably included. Our Book No: 17670. $20 AUD.
20. Community School, Yiyili; Mudeling, Penny (Gooniyandi words) (1998). Yarrangi Gooni: Our Dreaming. Halls Creek, WA: Yiyili Community School. 21 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, very good condition, stapled, black & white drawings, covers little scratched, spine little creased, minor edgewear. The Aboriginal stories for children come from the East Kimberley region of northern Western Australia situated on what is now known as Louisa Downs Station near the Margaret River. This area is known to the local Gooniyandi people as Marrara. The stories have been handed down orally from one Aboriginal generation to the next. Includes text in the local Aboriginal language. By the Yiyili Community School, Halls Creek. ISBN/ASIN: 1875617248. Our Book No: 28283. $30 AUD.
21. Contour, Alfred (2007). Le Cuisinier Bourguignon: Nouveau Livre de Cuisine Pratique (Facsimile ed). Dijon: Nimes, France: Louis Damidot: Editions Lacour. 298 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition. Facsimile (re-set) edition of popular French cookbook: in this case of the 1931 edition. A sought after book on Burgundy cuisine, with a number of editions. The author was the former butler of the Hotel du Chevreuil in Beaune, the centre of Burgundy wine production in France. (French language. Originally published, 1891.). ISBN/ASIN: 9782750417857. Our Book No: 17937. $80 AUD.
22. De Ferdkin, S. W. (editor); Guiraldes, Alberto (illustrator) (1948). Argentine Anthology (1st ed). London: Geoffrey Cumberlege / Oxford University Press (OUP). 91 pp. Paperback small, dustjacket, card covers, very good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white drawings, minor edgewear jacket (closed edge tears, edges little chipped, lightly marked, reverse side lightly toned, slight loss top spine), top edge lightly foxed, tiny mark front flyleaf, edges & pages lightly toned, bookshop sticker. This little book is an anthology of writings in English about Argentina, including folklore, portraits, essays, fables and sketches. The introduction and the preface are written in Spanish by the editor. (bookshop sticker from Mitchell's English Book Store, Buenos Aires.). Our Book No: 16090. $15 AUD.
23. de Fontenelle, [M. Bernard le Bovier] (1839). Entretiens sur la Pluralite des Mondes (Nouvelle ed). Paris: Armand Pougin, Librarie. 173 pp. Hardback very small (13.6 x 9.0 cm), good plus condition, cross-hatched leather cover (gilt edges & elaborate spine decoration), spine name label, marbled endpapers, pages lightly toned, minor foxing, owner's written names. By the French man-of-letters (1657 - 1757), a member of the French Academy. A series of six essays on astronomy ("Conversations on the Plurality of Worlds"), ranging from First Night to Sixth Night. Our Book No: 15690. $40 AUD.
24. de Goy, Andre (1852). Aventures Sur Mer et Sur Terre. Paris: Alphonse Desesserts. 344 pp. Hardback large octavo, very good condition, original embossed black cloth cover (spine gilt), sepia (brown-coloured) plates (engravings), frontispiece sepia engraving (with tissue guard), new endpapers, all edges gilt, some foxing (mainly endpapers & adjacent to plates), some edgewear (mostly spine), string bookmark. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Contains two stories: I. La Famille Laurencay. II. Histoire d'un Chercheur d'or en Australie. This scarce book has special significance as the second story is probably the first account of the Australian goldfields in fiction. The first story tells the adventures of the Laurencay family en route to Australia where they intend to settle on a property acquired by Monsieur Laurencay on a previous visit. (French language. No date, but 1852, Trove. Not in Ferguson. Muir 2912 (children's book). All 8 plates including frontispiece present.). Our Book No: 16516. $180 AUD.
25. de Mornay, M. Mauny; Monneret, M. (1838). Livre du Jardinier Guide Complet de la Culture des Jardins Fruitiers, Potagers et d'Agrement: Suivi de l'Hygiene du Jardinier (2 volumes in 1). Paris: A.-L. Pagnerre & Cie / Librarie Encyclopedique de Roret. 608 pp. Hardback very small, half-bound (board cover & leather spine), good plus condition, board cover has vertical split front cover (repaired), two foldout drawings at rear, raised bands spine (gilt lettering), paper label & annotation title page, edgewear, internally very good, cover design differs from stock photo. Two French-language volumes bound as one volume: "Livre du Jardinier" by de Mornay; and "l'Hygiene du Jardinier", by Monneret. Paper label (Librairie Encyclopedique de Roret, Paris) on title page covers original publisher details. Titles in English: "Complete Gardener's Guide to Growing Fruit Gardens, Backyards and Ornamentals" and "Monitoring Garden Hygiene”. (2 volumes in 1: 331 + 277 pages. No date, but 1838, Worldcat.) ISBN/ASIN: B00IJM2PRM. Our Book No: 15508. $100 AUD.
26. De Salinis, Le P. A. (1892). Marins et Missionnaires: Conquete de la Nouvelle-Caledonie 1843 - 1853 (1st ed). Paris: V. Retaux et Fils, Libraires-Editeurs. 340 pp. Hardback (24 x 16 cm), red cloth cover (gilt patterning & lettering, embossed edge bands, raised bands spine), patterned endpapers, very good condition, black & white drawings (engravings, in text & full-page), cover corners bumped, edgewear, pages toned (particularly edges), scattered light foxing. Heavy (1.1 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. First edition. French-language book by Le P. A. De Salinis titled: 'Sailors and Missionaries: Conquest of New Caledonia 1843 - 1853'. A history of the French conquest of this Pacific island near New Guinea and Australia. Essentially the story of the Catholic missions there. Our Book No: 14010. $200 AUD.
27. Della Torre, Edizione (2005). Ricettario di Sardegna. Cagliari: Edizione Della Torre. 96 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good plus condition, colour drawings, full-page colour photos. A cooking book written in the Italian language. Title in English: "Recipes of Sardinia". ISBN/ASIN: 9788873433996. Our Book No: 13672. $20 AUD.
28. Dixon, R. M. W. (Robert) (1977). A Grammar of Yidin [Yidijn] [Cambridge Studies in Linguistics]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (CUP). 563 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), edgewear jacket (tape marks reverse side, edge tears notably base of spine repaired), owner's written name. Heavy (1.0 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This book by the professor of linguistics, Australian National University (ANU), is a followup to his previous book: The Dyirbal Language of North Queensland. Yidin is a northern neighbour of the Dyirbal in the Cairns region of Queensland. It is also a dying language, but is grammatically distinct. The syntax is of a mixed ergative type that cannot be easily accommodated in standard linguistic theory. He explains the grammar in terms of configurations rather than the more usual tree diagrams. He includes a vocabulary and three sample texts, two of traditional myths, and one of an autobiographical account of interaction with early missionaries. (No 19 in this series.). ISBN/ASIN: 0521214629. Our Book No: 12479. $80 AUD.
29. Dorfell, Alfred (1940). Duett-album Sammlung, Beruhmter Duette fur Zwei Singflimmen mit Pianofortebegleitung, Neue Ausgabe revidiert von Alfred Dorffel (Duett-Album III: Duette fur Sopran und Bariton (Bass).) [Edition Peters, no 7645]. Leipzig: C. F. Peters. 145 pp. Hardback quarto, red cloth cover (embossed green outline with gilt lettering), good plus condition, spine little faded, pages lightly toned, edgewear corners, rubber stamp, owner's written name. Sheet music. In German language. English translation of title: "Duet Album Collection, Famous Duets for Vocalists with Pianoforte Accompaniment, New Edition revised by Alfred Dorffel (Duet Album III: Duets for Soprano and Baritone [Bass].) (Estimated date, early 1940s, IMSLP.) Our Book No: 13428. $30 AUD.
30. Ferro, Gaetano (editor); Caraci, Ilaria Luzzana (editor) (1988). The Italian Contribution to the Knowledge of the Fifth Continent: L. M. e E. A. D'Albertis [Il Contributo Italiano alla Conoscenza del Quinto Continente] [XXVI Geographical International Congress: Memoire Societa Geografica Italiana]. Roma (Rome): Societa Geografica Italiana. 157 + 168 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear & rubbing. A summary of historical Italian knowledge about the Australian continent. Mostly about the voyages of Luigi Maria D’Albertis in the 1870s and later, including visits to Papua New Guinea, and an overland trip from Sydney to Melbourne by coach and train. Includes lengthy extracts from his diaries. This report is printed twice, at the rear being in the Italian language (upside down). Our Book No: 17648. $50 AUD.
31. Franck, Johann Wolfgang; Osterwald, Wilhelm; Engel, O. H.; Francks, Johann Wolfgang (1955). Zur Hauslichen Erbauung: Geistliche Melodien: Mit Neuen Texten Versehen von Wilhelm Osterwald und fur Eine Singstimme mit Begleitung des Pianoforte, neu Bearbeitet von O. H. Engel, Op. 24. [Plate: 1657]. Leipzig: Breitkopf & Hartel. 42 pp. Paperback oblong small quarto, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), good condition, spine little torn repaired, cover little soiled, pages lightly toned, abrasion mark front cover (former written name), owner's written name & date. (Foreword dated 1857. Worldcat suggests 1955 reprint. Owner's written name dated 1962.) Sheet music, text in German language. English translation of title: "For home use: Spiritual melodies, with new text by Wilhelm Osterwald and for solo voice with piano accompaniment, revised by O. H. Engel, Op. 24." One of the most prolific composers of his time, Franck lived in Hamburg, and between 1679 to 1686, composed fourteen operas. Our Book No: 13939. $25 AUD.
32. Funck-Bretano, Frantz (1928). Retif de la Bretonne: Portraits et Documents Inedits. Paris: Albin Michel, Editeur. 425 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, quarter-bound (paper-covered patterned boards), patterned leather spine (raised bands, gilt title), pages toned, black & white plates (including frontispiece portrait). Title translation: "Tricksters (fraudsters) of Breton: Portraits and original documents". Our Book No: 16592. $30 AUD.
33. Giorni, Bruno (1999). Monterchi (4th ed). Italy: Bibloteca Comunale / Comune di Monterchi. 256 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, illustrated black cloth cover, very good condition, black & white photos collected at rear, covers faintly scratched, non-author written dedication. Italian language book about the lengthy history, architecture, art, convents, etc., of the little village of Monterchi in the Tuscan Tiber Valley (No ISBN in book.). Our Book No: 15001. $20 AUD.
34. Gougaud, Henri (1997). Les Cathares et l'Eternite [The Cathars and Eternity]. France: Bartillat. 272 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition. French language textbook in which the scholar and storyteller Henri Gougaud surveys often-ignored sources to provide keys to the history and achievements of Catharism (12th to 14th century European Christian sect). Includes its remnants that survived until later, and its mythology. ISBN/ASIN: 2841000834. Our Book No: 15912. $15 AUD.
35. Greene, Gracie; Tramacchi, Joe; Gill, Lucille (1999). Roughtail the Dreaming of the Roughtail Lizard and Other Stories Told by the Kukatja: Tjarany Tjaranykura Tjukurrpa Ngaanpa Kalkinpa Wangka Tjukurrtjanu (Reprint ed). Broome, WA: Magabala Books. 53 pp. Paperback square quarto, very good condition, red & black drawings, colour illustrations, tiny closed tears spine ends, minor edgewear corners, sticker mark rear cover. This is a very special book with the stories from the Kukatja (Gugadja) people, who have given permission for Gracie, Lucy and Joe to tell their stories, which are written in English and Kukatja. The stories were told to Gracie in Kukatja and English, while she was visiting Lucy and Joe at Noonkanbah, about halfway between Wirrumanu (Balgo) and Broome,at Christmas 1987. This children’s picture book for older children is also suitable as an art book for adults. The main story is called: The Roughtail Lizard Dreaming. The other stories are: The Crow and the Eagle, The Emu and the Turkey, The Black Goanna, The Witchetty Grub Man Dreaming, Kalpartu the Dreamtime Snake, How the Emu got Short Wings, and The Seven Sisters. Chosen for the Children's Book Council of Australia Eve Pownall Award for Information Books. ISBN/ASIN: 1875641300. Our Book No: 40069. $20 AUD.
36. Grieg, Edvard (1918). Greig Album Lieder fur eine Singstimme und Klavier von Edvard Grieg mit Teilweise Neuen Ubersetzungen von Hans Schmidt: Original Ausgabe: Kriegsausgabe [Edition Peters, no 466a: Plate 9718]. Leipzig: C. F. Peters. 36 pp. Paperback small quarto, fair plus condition, card cover (foxed, edge tears, corners worn, spine repaired), pages little toned, edgewear. Translation: "Greig album Songs for voice and piano by Edvard Grieg with some new translations of Hans Schmidt. Original edition. War output." Sheet music, with German and English words. Songs: Margaret's Cradle Song; My Love She Was So Pure; The Princess; To Springtime My Song I Utter; Outward Bound; Sunset; Cradle Song; the Rosebud; The Poet's Last Lay; Good Morning!; The Odalisques; Thy Warning is Good. SALE PRICE. Our Book No: 13962. $10 AUD.
37. Gros, Jules (1892). L'Homme Fossile: Aventures d'une Expedition Scientifique dans les Mers Australes. Paris: Librairie Marpon et Flammarion. 256 pp. Hardback very small, very good condition, black cloth cover (gilt spine lettering), marbled endpapers, pages toned as usual, staple marks front free flyleaf, string bookmark, minimal EX-LIBRARY (hospice library, rubber stamps, small spine sticker remnants), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve (acetate). A novel that is an obscure example of the "lost race" theme in adventure fiction. The story is set in the sealing grounds off southeastern Australia, with the imaginary expedition of geologists and paleontologists on board the ship "Le Glorieux" using Melbourne as its base. French language text. ISBN/ASIN: 0521275938. Our Book No: 17027. $40 AUD.
38. Grovlez, Gabriel (1917). A Child's Garden (Au Jardin de L'Enfance). London: J. & W. Chester. 30 pp. Paperback small folio, stapled (rusted), good condition, decorative period cover, base spine damaged (no loss of text), minor edgewear & edge tears, price sticker. Sheet music. Subtitle: "Six pieces pour le piano (d'apres l'art d'etre grand-pere de Victor Hugo)". The piano pieces are: La Sieste - Choses du soir - Chanson de Grand-Pere - Chanson D'Ancetre - Chanson Pour Fire Danser En Rond Les Petits Enfants - Pepita. Text in French and English. Our Book No: 15233. $12 AUD.
39. Guerin, Leon (1841). Le Tour du Monde, ou Les Mille et Une Merveilles de Voyages (2 Volumes). Paris: Langlois et Leclercq. Unnum pp. Each volume: Hardback very small (duodecimo), good condition, dark brown cloth spine (marbled boards), drawings, spine little faded, edges toned (pages lightly toned), inner hinge split (front v1, rear v2, pages firm), edgewear, annotation rear flyleaf. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. A collection of ten booklets on world travel, written in the French language. Ten parts (pages individually numbered, about 140p per part) are here bound in two volumes. Volume 1: Australie - Oceanie [Voyages de Williams Jarvis] - Asie [China] - Europe Meridionale - Amerique du Sud. Volume 2: Afrique Septentrionale - Amerique Septentrionale - Asie [India] - Europe Septentrionale - Afrique. A scarce complete set of booklets. Our Book No: 16624. $200 AUD.
40. Guy, H.; Guy, C.; Paris, Alfred (illustrator) (1897). Le Roman d'un Petit Marin (2nd ed) [Bibliotheque des Ecoles et des Families]. Paris: Librarie Hachette et Cie. 272 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, very good condition, original pictorial red cloth cover (spine ends chipped), black & white engravings, all edges gilt, some foxing (mainly near edges of some pages), blotchy patches rear cloth cover (small section board exposed), pages lightly toned, minor edgewear, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. Heavy (1.1 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Second edition. A children's maritime adventure set in Brittany [France], North Africa, India and Indo-China [Indochina]. Our Book No: 1851. $50 AUD.
41. Hall Jr, Robert A. (1955). Hands Off Pidgin English! Sydney: Pacific Publications. 142 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, good plus condition, green cloth boards (rear cover lightly flecked), endpapers lightly toned, jacket flap laid down on front pastedown. Robert Hall, an American linguist, offers a passionate defence of Pidgin English, a simplified version of English, as practiced in Papua New Guinea (PNG) and elsewhere, as a distinct language that advances the welfare of native peoples. ISBN/ASIN: B002H3AUDK. Our Book No: 13061. $25 AUD.
42. Harrasser, Albert (1936). Die Rechtsverletzung Bei den Australischen Eingeborenen: Beitrag zur Monograph "Darstellung des Strafrechtes der Australischen Primitiven". Stuttgart: Verlag von Ferdinand Enke. 167 pp. Paperback trade, original paper covers, very good condition, many pages edges uncut, other edges untrimmed, minor foxing edges, minor edgewear. In German language. English translation of title: "Violation of the Law by Australian Aborigines. Contribution to the Monograph: Representation of the Criminal Law of the Australian Natives". Our Book No: 14622. $40 AUD.
43. Joshy, Mou (2004). Learn Tamil in 4 Weeks. Chennai: Alpha Land Books. 200 pp. Paperback very small, very good plus condition. Subtitle: Easy and understanding approach of learning Tamil through English without a teacher. ISBN/ASIN: 8182490162. Our Book No: 15134. $15 AUD.
44. Knos, Teodor (1875). Bilder ur Lifvet i Australian: Reseskildringar [Pictures from Life in Australia: Travelogues]. Stockholm: Albert Bonniers Forlag. 263 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, good plus condition, blue cloth cover (gilt embossed design front cover & spine), full-page drawings (woodcuts), duplicate (extra-illustrated) title page, frontispiece drawing (with tissue guard), single-colour maps at rear, recased (new grey endpapers), pages toned, minimal foxing (moderate first & last page), minor edgewear. A narrative written from letters sent by Teodor Knos (Knoes) when he travelled throughout New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria in 1873. Written in the Swedish language (title translates as: Pictures from Life in Australia: Travelogues). Superb gilt front cover design of Aborigine with spear, kangaroo, emu and platypus surrounded by vegetation. Our Book No: 16596. $150 AUD.
45. Kotzebue, August von; Kotsebue, August von (title page) (1800). Broeder Morits, de Zonderlinge, of de Volkplanting voor de Pelew-Eilanden, Tooneelspel in 3 Bedrijven. City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated. 162 pp. Hardback very small, no jacket, good condition, rebound (decorative cover, new endpapers), pages little toned & creased, edges untrimmed, some minor foxing, minor edgewear. (Estimated date, from similar editions published in the 1790s and 1800s, Worldcat.) A play by the popular German playwright, August von Kotzebue (1761 - 1819) here translated into the Dutch language. Our Book No: 16595. $30 AUD.
46. Kovats, Gabor (1978). 300 Jahre Klaviermusik: Die Slawische Romantik / 300 Years of Piano Music: Slavic Romanticism [Plate: Z7981]. Budapest: Editio Musica. 52 pp. Paperback folio, very good condition, sticker removal marks, corner rear cover creased. Sheet music. Parallel titles in English, German and Hungarian. Our Book No: 14177. $25 AUD.
47. Krajums, Kora Dziesmu (1993). Kora Dziesmu Krajums: Dziesmas Tinu Kamola: AL43.KD, Brisbane 1993. City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated. 56 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, musical scores, brochure loosely enclosed, minor scratches, owner's name (texta), some pencil annotation. This booklet of sheet music (with text in Latvian language) presents Latvian folk songs presented at the 43rd Latvian Cultural Festival, Brisbane, 1993. Loosely inserted: stapled pamphlet (28 pages, large quarto), being mainly transcripts of the Latvian folk songs. Our Book No: 15059. $25 AUD.
48. La Rosa, Domenico (1995). L'Apostolato di P. Giuseppe La Rosa in Australia [Italian language]. Sydney, Leichhardt: Domenica La Rosa / Co.As.It: Italian Historical Society of New South Wales. 189 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), reproduced documents (letters), colour photos spread at rear. Italian language book being "The Apostleship of P. Giuseppe La Rosa in Australia". Father Giuseppe La Rosa (1915 - 1990) spent only a decade on Australian soil, but left a rich legacy for Italian-Australians, including his brief memoirs. Incorporating English translation by Barbara McGilvray of: "Dieci Anni tra gli Italiani in Australia (1939 - 1949)", or, in English "Ten Years of Italians in Australia (1939 - 1949) ". ISBN/ASIN: 0646261134. Our Book No: 14040. $60 AUD.
49. Liebknecht, Karl (1921). Politische Aufzeichnungen aus Seinem Nachlass Geschrieben in den Jahren 1917 - 1918 [Politische Aktions Bibliothek]. Berlin: Die Aktion (Franz Pfemfert). 162 pp. Hardback octavo, very good condition, superior spine (lightly foxed) with papered board cover, front flyleaf creased & lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, rubber stamp. Translation of title: "Political Notes from His Estate Published in the Years 1917 - 1918”. SALE PRICE. Our Book No: 13515. $15 AUD.
50. Macintyre, Duncan Ban; Macleod, Angus (editor) (1952). The Songs of Duncan Ban Macintyre (1st ed) [Scottish Gaelic Texts]. Edinburgh: Scottish Gaelic Texts Society / Oliver & Boyd. 581 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, top edge gilt, roughly cut page edges, light internal toning & foxing, endpapers little foxed & toned, edges toned, spine ends lightly worn, rear cover corners little bumped, minor edgewear, owner's written name. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This wonderful old book contains the songs of 18th century Gaelic poet Duncan Ban Macintyre, who was born at Glenorchy, Argyleshire, Scotland, in the year 1724. He began to compose songs at age 23. The Gaelic words appear opposite the English translation by Macleod (edited, with notes and introduction). Our Book No: 28839. $30 AUD.
51. Majerova, Marie; Svolinsky, Karel (1955). O Slepicce a Kohoutkovi [The Hen and the Cockerel]. Praha [Prague]: Stani Nakladatelstvi Detske Knihy [Public Children's Books Publishing Company]. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback oblong quarto, board cover (green cloth spine), very good condition, colour drawings, corners little bumped, minor edgewear. A delightful children's picture story in the Czech language. Our Book No: 15455. $30 AUD.
52. Manbulloo, Karen; Angelo, Denise (illustrator); Haysom, Julie (illustrator); Binjari, Buk Mob (illustrator) (2019). Molly the Pig (Moli det Bigibigi) (Reprint ed). Sydney: Indigenous Literacy Foundation. 23 pp. Paperback oblong, very good plus condition, colour drawings, minimal edgewear. Australian children's picture book about a pig named Molly who was found in the bush by Karen’s brother (location: Katherine, Northern Territory). This is a true story from Karen Manbulloo. Molly loves eating weetbix and soon grows into a large pig who scares away the dogs that used to chase her when she was tiny. This is a beautiful positive Indigenous story that will make children and adults happy to read it. (Written in Kriol and English. Originally published 2017, and later reprinted in 2019 for the Australian Reading Hour.) This is the 2019 edition. ISBN/ASIN: 9780648155430. Our Book No: 40371. $20 AUD.
53. May, Jean; Loeweke, Eunice (1981). Fasu (Namo - Me) - English Dictionary. Ukarumpa, PNG: Summer Institute of Linguistics. 444 pp. Paperback thick wide (with flaps), very good condition, flexible cover, minor edgewear. This dictionary has been produced as part of a project: Leadership Training for Indigenous Groups in Papua New Guinea. The Fasu language (called Namo Me by the people themselves) is spoken by about 1000 indigenous people in the Southern Highlands and Western provinces. ISBN/ASIN: 0726305278. Our Book No: 17576. $60 AUD.
54. Meneghelli, Pietro (1978). La Lettera di Joyce [James Joyce]. Roma (Rome): Editrice Lestoille. 160 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, spine lightly foxed, minor edgewear, owner's rubber stamp. A critical commentary of the James Joyce novel "Finnegan's Wake" as a journey in search of an imaginary golden age, through space and time, with the eventual hero's return to home and childhood. Also discusses "Another September" by Thomas Kinsella, and "The Hobby" by Flann O'Brien. Written in the Italian language. (No ISBN in book.). Our Book No: 16602. $15 AUD.
55. Menke, Joe; Bertie, Bernd; Jones, Ollie (1961). Without Your Love (Ganz Ohne Liebe) [Plate: B.8031]. Melbourne: D. Davis & Co. 4 pp. Paperback large quarto, single folded sheet, good condition, minor creasing & edgewear (corner tip removed), pages little toned, rubber stamp. Sheet music in German and English. Original text and music by Menke & Bertie, English lyric by Jones. Stamped on front cover: Professional copy only - not for sale (does not apply to this secondhand copy). Our Book No: 14849. $10 AUD.
56. Merimee, Prosper (1923). Carmen, Arsene Guillot, L'Abbe Aubain, La Dame de Pique, Les Bohemiens, Le Hussard, Nicolas Gogol. Paris: Calmann-Levy, Editeurs. 359 pp. Hardback octavo, good plus condition, half-bound (red leather spine & corners, gilt lettering & raised bands spine), marbled endpapers, pages lightly toned (title page very toned), edges foxed (& parts of some pages). (No 866 of 1600 copies.) Short stories by the French writer, in the French language. The opera Carmen was based in part on the novella of the same title by Prosper Merimee. Our Book No: 15896. $20 AUD.
57. Moliterno, Gino (editor); Pettini, Roberto (editor) (2003). Sydney and the Italian Touch: Italian-Australians in Sydney [Sydney e il Tocco Italiano: Italo-Australiani a Sydney]. Sydney: Italian Cultural Association / Five Dock Learning Centre. 185 pp. Hardback large quarto, no jacket as issued, very good condition, pictorial cover, black & white text-photos (mostly portraits), few full-page colour photos, minor edgewear. Portraits and the lives of 39 prominent Italian-Australians from Sydney, arranged in seven categories: Art and artisans, food and drink, entrepreneurs, political and social life, cinema and journalism, entertainment, immigration and language. Arranged by 2 to 4 pages per person in English, then repeated in the Italian language. ISBN/ASIN: 0646424149. Our Book No: 17159. $30 AUD.
58. Mozart, W. A.; Wales, Evelyn (1945). La ci Darem la Mano: Duet for Soprano and Baritone from "Don Giovanni" [Plate: B4830]. Melbourne: Allan & Co. 8 pp. Paperback large quarto, looseleaf as issued, good condition, covers lightly foxed, some creasing, edgewear, owner's written name front cover. Sheet music for "Let Me Still Hold Your Hand", vocal scores with piano, words in Italian and English. Music by Mozart, English words by Wales. Our Book No: 14847. $10 AUD.
59. Mudrooroo; Seruzier, Christian (translator) (2010). Chat Sauvage en Chute Libre. Paris: Asphalte Editions. 169 pp. Paperback (with flaps), very good plus condition. (French-language edition of the book "Wild Cat Falling", originally published in 1965.) Novel about a bodgie Aboriginal youth of the 1960s. The first novel published in Australia by an Aboriginal writer. ISBN/ASIN: 9782918767008. Our Book No: 14800. $20 AUD.
60. Nakamura, Mitsuo; al., et; Muzakki, Akh. (editor) (2010). Expressions of Islam in Recent Southeast Asia's Politics. Yogyakarta, Indonesia: State Institute for islamic Studies Surabaya / Impulse. 450 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear, old price marks. Essays based on talks at an international conference "Islam and Politics in Southeast Asia". Some articles are written in Indonesian. ISBN/ASIN: 9786029767988. Our Book No: 16544. $40 AUD.
61. Nerval, [Gerard de] (1944). Les Filles du Feu [Les Tresors de la Literature Francaise]. Geneva: Editions d'Art Albert Skira. 287 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, half-bound (paper-covered boards, cream leather spine & corner tips), edges untrimmed & faintly foxed. (Estimated date, 1944. Originally published in 1854.) A volume of short stories or idylls: Introduction - Angelique - Sylvie - Chansons et legendes du Valois - Octavie - Isis - Pandora. Note: "Sylvie" is his most famous story (novelette). Les Chimeres - a sequence of twelve poems in the form of sonnets - is appended. Our Book No: 15665. $25 AUD.
62. Oberlander, Gerhard (1953). Pingo und Pinga: Ein Bilderbuch fur Grosse und Kleine Kinder Erzahlt und Gemalt von Gerhard Oberlander (1st ed). Frankfurt am Main: Buchergilde Gutenberg. 32 pp. Hardback large quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial board cover (cloth spine), colour drawings, minor edgewear. First edition. German language children's picture story about the love between two penguins Pingo and Pinga who overcome adversity. Our Book No: 15561. $30 AUD.
63. Oksanen, Sofi; Farbregd, Turid (translation) (2011). Utrenskning [Purge: Norwegian language]. Norway: Forlaget Oktober. 333 pp. Paperback, very good condition, minimal edgewear. Norwegian language novel. Bestselling novel by Estonian-Finnish writer, and winner of the Nordic Council Literature Prize, 2010. Translated from Finnish to Norwegian. The story of an old lady Allide and a forlorn young girl Zara. The elder has lived her entire life on the farm in western Estonia, the younger has grown up in the easternmost Russia and has sought her luck in Western Europe, but is now on the run from men who pursue her. Gradually we become aware of the bond that unites the two women. The action occurs in part during WW2 (1940s) during the Soviet occupation of Estonia, and partly in the early 1990s when a new Europe is taking shape. ISBN/ASIN: 9788249508266. Our Book No: 16014. $15 AUD.
64. Palacios, Alex; Osegeda, Roy C. Boland (translator) (2009). Simplemente Poesia: Simply Poetry. Sydney, Willoughby: Cervantes Publishing. 205 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, autograph (author's written dedication). Bilingual edition. Poems in Spanish, by the Chilean-Australian poet. The poems have a strong autobiographical flavour. The poems are translated into English in the second half of the book. There is a short biography of the poet at the front of both the Spanish and English sections. ISBN/ASIN: 9780949274281. Our Book No: 16104. $20 AUD.
65. Papangelos, Ioakin A.; Vamvakas, D. (1987). Mount Athos Touristic [Tourist] Map [and] General Information Booklet. Athens: Malliaris-Pedia Publishing. 31 pp. Ephemera, small octavo cover (colour drawing, little creased), small format booklet inside front cover (pages loose), large oblong foldout colour map inside rear cover (minor creases & edge tears). This English-language pamphlet informs visitors to the Eastern Orthodox monasteries and surrounds on the Athos Peninsula, northeastern Greece. Describes the monasteries and visitor protocol and services available. Groups of 10 only, no women, no dancing, no photographing the monks without permission, etc. Four signed certificates of approval required before entry (two of them are enclosed with this item, dated 1987, in Greek language). A large foldout colour map of the peninsula is included, noting all the monasteries. Our Book No: 17921. $15 AUD.
66. Parra, Alejandro (2003). Fenomenos Paranormales: Una Introduccion a los Eventos Sorprendentes (1st ed) [Paranormal Phenomena: An Introduction to Surprising Events]. Buenos Aires: Coleccion Infinito / Editorial Kier. 160 pp. Paperback (with flap), very good plus condition, tables, black & white text-photos, autograph (author's written dedication). (From the library of retired parapsychologist Harvey Irwin.) An introduction to parapsychology written in Spanish for readers in Argentina. ISBN/ASIN: 9501770044. Our Book No: 14938. $15 AUD.
67. Renault, Emmanuel (2001). Hegel: La Naturalisation de la Dialectique [Histoire de la Philosophie]. Paris: Librarie Philosophique / J. Vrin. 320 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition. The philosophy of nature has mostly been ignored in Hegelian studies. A careful reading of the German philosopher rectifies this prejudice, showing that not only is Hegel attentive and respectful of positive knowledge of his time, but that he tries to define the terms of methodological collaboration between philosophy and science. What is a speculative science project? What is Hegel's speculative deduction of the truth? What is the Hegelian understanding of the status and forms of discourse of the natural sciences? What attitude should the speculation adopt concerning scientific controversies? It is these questions that this book attempts to answer. (French language.). ISBN/ASIN: 9782711615025. Our Book No: 16762. $45 AUD.
68. Reuter, Wolfgang (1983). The Lipizzaners and the Spanish Riding School (1st ed). Innsbruck: Pinguin-Verlag. 64 pp. Hardback small oblong quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), full-page colour text-photos, few black & white photos, minor edgewear jacket (top spine little chipped), bottom corners covers little bumped, top spine lightly bumped. This is the story of the beautiful white performing stallions of Vienna. The author gives a brief outline of the foundation and development of the stud, the ups and downs of its history prior to the dissolution of the Habsburg Monarchy, the Austrian Lipizzaners' move to Piber near Graz and, finally, their fate after the Second World War. (Text is in German and English.). ISBN/ASIN: 3701621462. Our Book No: 30167. $15 AUD.
69. Rietstap, J. B.; Rietmann, O.; Kelly, William (1867). Australie: De Jongste Zee-en Landreizen in dat Werelddeel, aan het Volk Verhaald. Leiden: Van den Heuvell & Van Santen. 274 pp. Hardback large octavo, very good condition, green cloth cover (gilt & black embossed cover & spine), colour frontispiece, edges faintly foxed, minor edgewear & bumping corners, top spine little frayed, prize bookplate. A rare Dutch translation by Johannes Baptist Rietstap (1828 - 1891) of two books about travel to Australia and the south west Pacific islands in the 1850s. The first book is "Wanderungen in Australien und Polynesien" (in German language), by O. Rietmann. The second book is "Life in Victoria, or Victoria in 1853, and Victoria in 1858", by William Kelly. Frontispiece is chromolithograph of Sydney. (Bookplate is prize awarded at Institution de Glimes, Anvers , dated 1876. No date, but 1867 Ferguson 14922, or 1870s Trove.). Our Book No: 15603. $400 AUD.
70. Robert, N. (Nicholas) (1976). Diverses Fleurs Dessinees et Gravees d'Apres le Naturel par N. Robert (Facsimile ed). London: Scolar Press. 64 pp. Hardback small folio (31.0 x 21.5 cm), no jacket as issued, very good condition, brown cloth cover (gilt spine lettering & logo front cover), sepia (brown-tinted) engravings including title page (tissue guard, few doubled), marbled endpapers, top edge gilt, other edges untrimmed, few faint toned spots, minor edgewear. Nicholas Robert started as a painter of ornamental flower pictures (botanical artist), but his work became more botanical after he was hired by the Duke of Orleans to draw the rare and exotic plants and animals in the Duke's gardens. The Scottish botanist Robert Morison, director of the gardens, is believed to have encouraged Robert to take a more scientific approach to his subject. (No 320 of a limited edition of 500 copies. Facsimile on handmade paper of the original edition of 1660, from a copy in the Lindley Library of the Royal Horticultural Society. Contains 31 numbered full-page engravings, including title page. French language. Unnumbered pages). ISBN/ASIN: 0859672468. Our Book No: 16676. $60 AUD.
71. Roy, Mme; Perron, J. (1909). Les Explorations Geographiques au XIXe Siecle. Paris: Societe d'Edition et de Publications. 256 pp. Hardback large quarto, no jacket, very good condition, quarto-bound, leather spine (raised bands, gilt lettering), marbled boards & endpapers, drawings, maps, spine ends chipped (edges worn), pages very toned, string bookmark, dated bookplate (school prize certificate). Heavy (1.5 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. (Estimated date, 1909, bookplate.) Title in English: "Geographic explorations of the 19th century". A worthy worldwide survey of exploration, written in the French language. Our Book No: 16808. $100 AUD.
72. Ruurs, Margriet; Badr, Nizar Ali (illustrator) (2016). Stepping Stones: A Refugee Family's Journey: In Arabic and English. Brisbane, St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (UQP). Unnum 24 pp. Hardback small oblong quarto, no jacket, very good plus condition, pictorial cover, illustrated endpapers, colour drawings, minimal edgewear. This beautiful story is illustrated by Syrian artist Nizar Ali Babr using stones to create the people in the author's thoughtful story. About Rama and her family who are forced to leave behind in Syria everything they know and love. With only what they can carry on their backs, they set out to find refuge in Europe. This very special book includes the story of the artist. ISBN/ASIN: 9780702259739. Our Book No: 30388. $25 AUD.
73. Saint-Saens, C.; Spicker, Max (editor) (1911). Operatic Anthology: Mon Coeur S'Ouvre a ta Voix (My Heart at Thy Sweet Voice). New York: G. Schirmer. 10 pp. Paperback large quarto, cloth binding, good condition, pages lightly toned, tear bottom edge pages repaired, edgewear, owner's written name. Sheet music for soprano. Extracted from "Samson et Dalila". Text in English and French language. Copyright 1889, renewed in 1911. Written name is "Mrs E. Murdoch. Our Book No: 15301. $10 AUD.
74. Santa Maria, Vincente; Galvin, John (editor); McBride, Professor Patrick, (translation); Hammond, Dr George (translation); Smithers, Adelaide (translation) (1971). The First Spanish Entry into San Francisco Bay 1775: The Original Narrative, Hitherto Unpublished, by Fr Vicente Maria and Further Details by Participants in the First Explorations of the Bay's Waters (Translated ed). San Francisco: John Howell Books. 130 pp. Hardback large quarto, two dustjackets (one paper, one clear plastic), very good condition (in good dustjacket), blue cloth boards, gilt title cloth cover & jacket, frontispiece, maps, colour illustrations, fore-edge pages untrimmed (roughly cut), edges paper jacket chipped (spine & title faded, closed tears), top corners plastic jacket few small tears. Heavy (1.1 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Father Santa Maria's journal of 1775, a record of a participant in the first Spanish voyage of exploration into San Francisco Bay, has only recently been located. It contains four contemporary maps and six illustrations in full colour from the brush and pencil of Louis Choris who was at San Francisco in 1816. There is a glossary, references and an index at the rear of the book. (Parallel text in Spanish and English. Limited edition, 5000 copies.). ISBN/ASIN: B002K50QCU. Our Book No: 40709. $90 AUD.
75. Schachner, Dr Robert (1909). Australien in Politik, Wirtschaft, Kultur. Jena: Verlag von Gustav Fischer. 464 pp. Hardback thick octavo, no jacket, very good condition, rebound black cloth cover (brown endpapers), endpages toned, edges little stained (top edge little stained), minor edgewear, bookplates, stickers. Heavy (1.1 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. German language book. The author is a professor at the University of Jena, Germany. He examines Australian politics, economy and culture, after a visit to Australia. A unique copy with bookplates of book collectors Walter Stone (2) and George Mackaness. Plus annotation on front free flyleaf by Walter Stone: "Schachner wrote for The Bulletin and other papers whilst he was in Australia, and was friendly with Chris Brennan and other writers. Brennan translated part of the book for an article in The Bulletin on 22-8-07[?]: What the Australian author reads". Our Book No: 17842. $120 AUD.
76. Schachner, Robert (1912). Austraalia ja Uusi Seelanti: Maa, Kansa ja Talous (Mukaellen Suomensi A. K.). Jyvaskylassa: K. J. Gummerus Osakeyhtio. 61 pp. Paperback, good plus condition, card cover, pages lightly toned, spine little torn (repaired), minor edgewear. Title translation: "Australia and New Zealand: Country, Nation and Economy (Nicely translated by A.K.)". A pamphlet, translated (probably from German) into Finnish, about Australia and New Zealand up to the 1900s. (Robert Schachner, a German economist, wrote a series of letters from Australia during 1906 - 1907, about the supposed worker's paradise in Australia.). Our Book No: 16556. $30 AUD.
77. Schirmer, G.; Baker, Theodore (translator) (1948). Twenty-four Italian Songs and Arias of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries: For Medium Low Voice [Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics, no 1723: Plate 41573]. New York: G. Schirmer. 100 pp. Hardback large quarto, blue cloth cover (gilt lettering), very good condition, rear cloth cover little scratched, endpapers toned, pages lightly toned, minor foxing, one folded sheet loose (misbound), minor edgewear, minor annotation contents page. Sheet music, in Italian language, with English translation (rebound edition). Includes: Per La Gloria D'adorarvi - Amarilli, Mia Bella - Alma Del Core - Come Raggio Di Sol - Sebben, Crudele - Vittoria, Mio Core! - Non Posso Disperar - Danza, Danza, Fanciulla Gentile - Vergin, Tutto Amor - Caro Mio Ben - O Del Mio Dolce Ardor - Che Fiero Costume - Pur Dicesti, O Bocca Bella - Il Mio Bel Foco - Lasciatemi Morire! - Nel Cor Piu Non Mi Sento - Se Tu M'ami, Se Sospiri - Nina (Attributed To Pergolesi) - Gia Il Sole Dal Gange - Le Violette - O Cessate Di Piagarmi - Se Florindo E Fedele - Pieta, Signore!; Tu Lo Sai. Our Book No: 14641. $15 AUD.
78. Schumann, Robert (1926). Schumann Lieder und Balladen Album: Tief: Bd. I [German language: Edition Globus No. 35]. Berlin: Globus Verlag. 40 pp. Paperback small folio, very good condition, card cover (black cloth spine), scuff mark title page, pages little toned, minor edgewear. (Published about 1926, WorldCat.) Sheet music, Part 1 of 3-part series: Songs (Deep voice) with piano. Contents: Wanderlied (Hiking Song); Ich Grolle Nicht (I Bear No Grudge); Die Beiden Grenadiere (The Two Grenediers); Du Bist Wie eine Blume (You're Like a Flower); Mondnacht (Moon); Schone Wiege Meiner Leiden (Beautiful Cradle of my Sufferings); Fruhlingsfahrt (Spring Ride); Wer Machte Dich So Krank? (Who Made You So Sick?); Ich wandre nicht (I Do Not Wander); Der Hidalgo (The Hildalgo); Der Schatzgräber (The Treasure Hunter); Allnachtlich im Traume (Every Night in My Dreams); Er Ist's (Its Him) ; Auftrage (Orders). Our Book No: 14176. $30 AUD.
79. Sinding, Christian (1931). Fruhlingsrauschen Klavierstuck (Piano Piece: Rustle of Spring: Opus 32 no. 3) [Op. 32: Peters Edition no. 2870: Plate 8486]. Leipzig: C. F. Peters. 10 pp. Paperback small folio, stapled card cover, good plus condition, cover lightly foxed, pages little toned, edges toned / thumbed. (Originally published, 1896, noted by German bookseller. Later reprint, 1931, base of rear cover.) Sheet music of German piano piece. Our Book No: 13854. $15 AUD.
80. Smith, Ethel (1945). Ethel Smith Album (Tico-Tico, Brazil, Parrot, Baia, and Other Successful Tunes). Melbourne: Allan & Co. 30 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, stapled, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear, owner's written name. (Latest copyright date, 1945.) Sheet music for nine popular Brazilian songs. Text in both Portuguese and English. Our Book No: 16469. $15 AUD.
81. Souter, Alexander (1999). Earliest Latin Commentaries on the Epistles of St Paul. Oxford: Sandpiper Books / Clarendon Press. 244 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), old price marks, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. These Latin commentaries on part of the New Testament by Alexander Souter were originally published from 360 AD to 410 AD. Reprint of a book originally published in 1929. SALE PRICE. ISBN/ASIN: 0198270011. Our Book No: 12017. $10 AUD.
82. Stillings, Henrich (1923). Jugend: Eine Wahrhafte Geschichte [Youth: A True Story]. Berlin & Leipzig: George Jacob Decker. 169 + 11 pp. Hardback very small, marbled cloth boards, leather spine (gilt decoration & lettering), very good condition, pages toned, minor foxing, minor edgewear. German language. Originally published 1777 (title page), this being a 1923 reprint. Autobiography of the early life of Johann Heinrich Jung, the German author, physician and academic (1740 - 1817). "Henrich Stillings" is a pen name. Our Book No: 15501. $40 AUD.
83. Strauss, Johann; Gray, Geoffrey (editor) (1941). Voices of Spring (Voci di Primavera). Melbourne: Allan & Co. 10 pp. Paperback small folio, looseleaf, good plus condition, front cover creased, minor edgewear. (Copyright, 1941.) Sheet music, English words by N. H. Cole, Italian words by I. Celesti, music by Strauss. Our Book No: 14737. $10 AUD.
84. Sunshine Club, Members of (1975). Norfolk Island Cookery Book, with Local Words and Phrases. Norfolk Island: Greenways Press. 48 pp. Paperback very small, stapled pamphlet, card cover, very good condition. Estimated date: 1970s (Trove, this publisher). Last three pages contain Norfolk phrases and their English translation. Our Book No: 9223. $10 AUD.
85. Thomas, J. W. (2010). Von Nias Nach Kaiser-Wilhelms-Land und Uber Australien Zuruck nach Deutschlands: Ein Reisejahr. Gutersloh: C. Bertelsmann (original publisher). 90 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, yellow card cover, black & white text-photos, top corner front cover lightly creased. (Estimated date, 2010.) Modern facsimile edition of a German-language book originally published in 1892. Translation of title: "From Nias to Kaiser-Wilhelms-Land and over to Australia and back to Germany: A Travel Year". The account of a German missionary visiting German New Guinea (now Papua New Guinea). The scanned photos are low-quality, and there is no map in this edition. Our Book No: 16820. $30 AUD.
86. Turnbull, John (1806). John Turnbull's Reise um die Welt in den Jahren 1800 bis 1804: Nebst einer Genauen Schilderung der Englischen Verbrecher-Kolonien in Neu-Holland und der Societats- und Sandwich-Inseln in ihrem Gegenwartigen Zustande. Wein (Vienna): In Kommission bei Anton Doll. 438 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, very good condition, marbled papered board cover (spine label, corners bumped), two black & white plates (lithographs), foldout map at rear, pages toned (text only) & little creased, edges speckled & lightly foxed, sticker & rubber stamp (minimal EX-LIBRARY). Translation: "John Turnbull's travel around the world in the years 1800 to 1804: together with a precise detailing of the English convict colonies in New Holland, and the existing Society and Sandwich Islands [Tahiti and Hawaii] in the present day". A German translation of the first edition published in London in 1805. Records his commercial trading voyage aboard the trading ship Margaret, and includes extensive accounts of Botany Bay, as well as Norfolk Island. (XXV embossed on embedded black spine label. Lithographs opposite pages 116, 262.). Our Book No: 16748. $250 AUD.
87. Upfield, Arthur; Valencia, Michele (translator) (1998). The Melbourne Cup Mystery / Le Mystère de la Melbourne Cup [French language]. La Tour d'Aigues: Editions de l'Aube. 221 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear corners, loose red wraparound label (author's printed name). This novel by Arthur Upfield, initially published in 1933, was inspired by the strange death of the champion horse Phar Lap, the famous winner of the Melbourne Cup. (This is the scarce French language edition. Has loose red wraparound label, with 'Upfield' name in big letters.). ISBN/ASIN: 2876784580. Our Book No: 14793. $30 AUD.
88. Van Hasselt, A.; Ronge, J.-B. (1828). Repertoire de Concerts Ecole Allemande: 30 Airs pour Basse ou Baryton [Plate: 2684]. Braunschweig & New York: Henry Litolff's Verlag. 175 pp. Hardback small quarto, half-bound (marbled covers, deluxe cloth spine), good plus condition, pages toned, endpapers lightly foxed. (Estimated date, 1828 or later, WorldCat.) Sheet music. Full title page: "Repertoire des Concers - Ecole Allemande - 30 Airs de Bach, Haendal, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Weber et Schubert - Pour Basse ou Baryton - Avec Paroles Allemandes, Italiennes ou Anglaises et Traduction Francaise Rythmee - par A. van Hasselt et J.-B. Ronge". Parallel text in German, French and Italian languages. Our Book No: 5658. $50 AUD.
89. Verdi, Giuseppe (1946). Di Quella Pira (da. Il Trovatore) per Canto e Pianoforte Tenore [Biblioteca Lirica: Plate 119975]. Milano: G. Ricordi. 8 pp. Paperback small folio, good condition, looseleaf, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear & edge tears, rubber stamp. Sheet music. Our Book No: 15235. $10 AUD.
90. Veress, Sandor (1971). Fingerlarks (Billegetomuzsika): 88 Esercizi Pianistici [88 Piano Pieces]. Milano: Edizioni Suvini Zerboni. 58 pp. Paperback folio, very good condition. Sheet music for 88 piano pieces, all being Hungarian folk tunes. Foreword in Italian, English and German languages. The title Fingerlarks comes from the English poet John Manifold. Our Book No: 16350. $30 AUD.
91. Voigt, Johannes H. (editor); Fletcher, John (assisted); Moses, John A. (assisted) (1983). New Beginnings: The Germans in New South Wales and Queensland (Neuanfange Deutshe in New South Wales und Queensland) [Studies in International Cultural Relations]. Stuttgart, Germany: Institute for Foreign Cultural Relations. 290 pp. Paperback small quarto, good condition, black & white text-photos (few full-page photos), corner tips few pages lightly creased, small mark fore-edge, spine & top edge covers faded, top corner front cover creased, front and rear hinges slightly split (pages firm), spine & free flyleaf little creased, minor edgewear. This book is about the assimilation of Germans into New South Wales and Queensland. Some of the chapters are: The centenarians - 100 years of Concordia Club - Immigration, assimilation, and pioneers - Religious, cultural, and scientific relations. Includes a section at the rear on early German connexions with natural history, geology, and mining in New South Wales and Queensland. (Volume 20 in this series. English text, parallel German translation.). Our Book No: 30621. $20 AUD.
92. Wild, Margaret; Blackwood, Freya (illustrator) (2009). Samuel and Saltitao. Cordova, Portugal: Editorial Caminho. 32 pp. Paperback large square quarto, very good plus condition, colour drawings, top corner little bumped. Portuguese translation of the children's picture story "Harry & Hopper" (Omnibus, Gosford, 2009). Samuel and Saltitao his dog do everything together. At night, Saltibao sneaks past Dad and goes to sleep in Samuel's bed. One day, Samuel comes home from school and his dog isn't there to greet him. Teaches children about the death of a loved pet dog. ISBN/ASIN: 9789722120937. Our Book No: 14867. $20 AUD.
93. Wild, Margaret; Brooks, Ron (illustrator) (2005). Zorro. Caracas, Venezuela: Ediciones Ekare / Edif. Banco del Libro. Unnum pp. Paperback large square quarto, very good plus condition, colour drawings. A classic children's picture story, written in the Spanish language, and published in Venezuela. An injured magpie and a one-eyed dog live happily together in the forest, until a jealous fox arrives to teach them what it means to be alone. ISBN/ASIN: 9802573140. Our Book No: 14836. $20 AUD.
94. Wild, Margaret (Margateh); Niland, Deborah (illustrator) (2010). Vovo Nene [Grandpa Baby]. Brazil: Editora Fundamento. 32 pp. Paperback square quarto, very good condition, colour drawings, top edge front cover lightly faded. Brazilian edition of a favourite Australian children's picture book: Grandpa Baby, by Margaret Wild. In Brazilian Portuguese language. ISBN/ASIN: 9788576769354. Our Book No: 15143. $20 AUD.
95. Wolf, Hugo (1951). Wolf: Selected Songs: Volume 1B - High [Imperial Edition 583: Plate B5484]. Melbourne: Allans Music (Australia). 25 pp. Paperback folio, very good condition, grey card cover, stapled (rusted), corner tip front cover creased, owner's written name & details. Sheet music for eight songs: Secrecy - The Mouse Trap - Home - In the Night - The Gardener - The Forsaken Maiden - To An Ancient Picture - Anacreon's Grave. Words in English and German. (Copyright date, 1951, but later reprint with decimal price.) Our Book No: 16192. $10 AUD.
96. Wyss, J. D. [as Wyss]; MM, Telery et Pegard, illustrators; de Montolieu, Madame Isabelle (translator) (1861). Le Robinson Suisse: Contenant la Suite Donnee par l'Auteur: Traduction Nouvelle. Paris: Morozot, Libraire-Editeur. 464 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, very good condition, brown cloth cover (embossed bands, gilt spine lettering & decoration), full-page black & white engravings, frontispiece engraving (tissue guard, toned & torn repaired), all edges gilt, flexible endpapers, edgewear, some foxing (mainly end pages & page edges), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. A novel for young adults written in German by J. D. Wyss in 1812, inspired by Defoe's 'Robinson Crusoe'. It was translated by Madame de Montolieu into French in 1814, altering the ending. This is a later version of this French translation. A Swiss family is shipwrecked on a desert island en route to Port Jackson (Botany Bay), New South Wales. Our Book No: 16805. $40 AUD.
97. Yun, Venerable Master Hsing; Shan, Fo Kuang (translation) (1999). Mindful Wisdom, Heartfelt Joy (3rd ed). Berkeley, NSW: International Buddhist Association of Australia Inc. 144 pp. Paperback small square in card slipcase, very good condition, slipcase edge one side lifting slightly, sticker rear cover book. A little book packed with Buddhist wisdom. One page is in English and the opposite side is in Chinese. The sticker is from Fo Guang Tea House Sussex Street Sydney. ISBN/ASIN: 0646343688. Our Book No: 40727. $15 AUD.
98. Zempleni, Kornel (1977). 300 Jahre Klaveriermusik: Wiener Klassiker / 300 Years of Piano Music: Vienna Classics [Plate: Z7975]. Budapest: Editio Musica. 44 pp. Paperback small folio, card cover, stapled (rusted), very good condition, minor edgewear. Sheet music. Parallel titles in English, German and Hungarian. Our Book No: 15232. $20 AUD.
99. Zusters, Reinis; Salnajs, Venita; Araja, Mudite (translator); Berzina, Ligita (translator); Anderson, Mark (design); Morrell, Jude (photos); Wallace, David (photos) (1996). Two Worlds - One Sky (1st ed). Emu Plains, NSW: Penrith Regional Art Gallery. Unnum 24 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, stapled pamphlet, very good condition, colour & black & white text-photos, top corner tip front cover & some pages little creased, light toning edges, spine rubbed, small section front cover little faded, minor edgewear. This is the catalog of the Two Worlds - One Sky art exhibition. It ran from 15th December to 4 February 1996 at the Lewers Bequest and Penrith Regional Art Gallery, and The National Art Museum, Riga, Latvia on 7 June 1996 - 6 July 1996. The artists came from Latvia to Australia as migrants to make a new start. Venita Salnajs arrived in Sydney in 1949 and Reinis Zusters in Fremantle in 1950. In her Preface Venita Salnajs says that the joint exhibition not only celebrates a shared artistic life with Reinis for almost 30 years, but also is the celebration of their national duality. There are sections in both English and Latvian languages. Our Book No: 30788. $25 AUD.