INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
(Located in Australia):
BOOKS FOR SALE: RECENT ACQUISITIONS NOVEMBER 2016
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. Admiralty (1889). [MAP] South America: Magellan Strait from the First Narrows to Sandy Point. London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 100 cm. with folded add-on), single sheet, folded vertically once, poor condition reading copy, edges heavily stained (particularly , some annotation, notable edgewear. Admiralty chart no 1337, copyright 1869. Surveyed by Capt R. C. Mayne, HMS Nassau 1867-8 [etc], longitude corrected 1882, magnetic variation noted 1889. Superintended by Capt G. H. Richards, hydrographer. Contains coastal rivers and hills, as well as extensive depth soundings along the strait. Includes inset of two vertical profiles across the strait. Folded add-on sheet (19 x 46 cm) pasted to bottom left section of map. Our Book No: 16863. $30 AUD.
2. Admiralty (1929). [MAP] Ceylon South Coast: Galle to Little Basses. London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 125 cm), single sheet, folded vertically twice, good plus condition, faintly toned, edgewear corners. Admiralty chart no 3265 (Zc 1947), copyright 1910, magnetic corrections 1929, printing 1947. Surveyed by HM Skylark, 1908-9. Contains coastal towns, rivers and hills, as well as extensive depth soundings off the coast. Our Book No: 16861. $30 AUD.
3. Admiralty (1940). [MAP] Mediterranean - Tunisia North Coast - Les Fratelli to Cap Carthage [Inset: Cap Farina Anchorage]. London: The Admiralty. N/a pp. Map, very large format (70 cm x 100 cm), single sheet, folded vertically once, fair condition reading copy, reverse heavily marked (with annotation, rubber stamp), notable edgewear. Admiralty chart no 1381 (Zc 1951), copyright 1940, printing 1951. From French Government charts to 1936. Contains coastal towns, rivers and hills, as well as extensive depth soundings off the coast. Our Book No: 16862. $30 AUD.
4. Angoff, Allan (1974). Eileen Garrett and the World Beyond the Senses. New York: William Morrow. 241 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), dual binding (has superior binding along spine), reverse side jacket faintly foxed (flap clipped), minor edgewear, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. A biography of the famed 20th-century psychic, Eileen J Garrett. It tells both the public and private story of a remarkable woman with psychic gifts. It offers an account of her work associations with many international notables, including, Aldous Huxley, Arthur Conan Doyle and Dr J B Rhine. Garrett set us the Parapsychology Foundation in New York to promote the scientific study of psychic phenomena. ISBN: 0688002501. Our Book No: 16843. $20 AUD.
5. Austin, Steve; Flynn, Hazel (2016). Working Dog Heros: How One Man Gives Shelter Dogs New Life and Purpose. Sydney: HarperCollins. 287 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, colour photos, some corner tips little worn. In this fascinating memoir, the author shares amazing stories and many tips from a career of working with dogs. He writes about the 'Young Diggers' program, which matches specially trained dogs with returned Diggers suffering from issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder and depression. Steve's dogs now work in the fields of drug enforcement, customs, wildlife protection, and more, all over the world. ISBN: 9780733334399. Our Book No: 28887. $18 AUD.
6. Barrett, Charles (editor) (1948). Across the Years: The Lure of Early Australian Books. Melbourne: N. H. Seward (Hawthorn Press, printer). 150 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket as issued, very good condition, black cloth cover (gilt spine lettering), black & white photos, colour frontispiece, endpapers lightly toned, top corner front free flyleaf little thinned, minor edgewear few page corner tips. (Limited edition, 650 copies.) A worthy illustrated collection of essays about collecting early Australian books. Our Book No: 4117. $70 AUD.
7. Bates, Albert; Shiva, Vandana (foreword) (2010). The Biochar Solution: Carbon Farming and Climate Change. Canada: New Society Publishers. 209 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, figures, black & white text-photos, top corners some pages minimally creased, minor edgewear. A detailed analysis of our global climate and food predicament with techniques for the production and use of biochar and practical carbon farming. The author traces the evolution of this extraordinary substance from the ancient dark earths of the Amazon to current practices. ISBN: 9780865716773. Our Book No: 28892. $18 AUD.
8. Beale, Pat (2003). Operation Orders: The Experience of a Young Australian Army Officer 1963 to 1970 [Australian Army History Collection]. Loftus, NSW: Australian Military History Publications (AMHP). 142 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, maps, top corner front cover little bumped, top edge jacket lightly creased (minor edgewear). A valuable look at Australia's military involvement in South-East Asia and Papua New Guinea as experienced by Pat Beale, DSO, MC. He was involved in anti-terrorist activities in Malaysia, action in Borneo during Confrontation and then Vietnam, with a Special Forces unit. ISBN: 1876439513. Our Book No: 28870. $22 AUD.
9. Bevan, Ian (1993). The Story of the Theatre Royal. Sydney, Paddington: Currency Press. 266 pp. Hardback large octavo, dark green leatherette boards, very good condition, sepia photos (brown-tinted) on tinted vanilla paper, gilt title cover & spine, frontispiece, endpapers photo, edges lightly foxed. The first Theatre Royal opened in Sydney in 1932, the brainchild of stagestruck immigrant, Barnett Levey. The author traces the story through a tangle of distasters and triumphs, and four separate historic buildings, to the new and thriving theatre of today. Unnumbered edition of 1250 copies. ISBN: 0868193755. Our Book No: 28904. $25 AUD.
10. Bishop, Christine (2008). Schwalm Embroidery: Techniques and Designs (Reprint ed) [Milner Craft Series]. Binda, NSW: Sally Milner Publishing. 112 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good plus condition, colour photos, black & white drawings, minor edgewear. This type of embroidery is named after the region along the Schwalm River in Germany. The beautiful and delicate embroidery is a form of late 18th to 19th century whitework embroidery which incorporates surface stitches, pulled fabric, drawn thread, needlelace and needleweaving, and was traditionally embroidered on blouses, shirts and stockings, pillowcases, top sheets and towels. The colour photos clearly show the intricacy and beauty of the work. The author explains the ways to create it in simple stages, the many step-by-step drawings help to explain the instructions. ISBN: 9781863513906. Our Book No: 28893. $18 AUD.
11. Briand, Pierre Cesar (1834). Aventures d'un Jeune Naufrage, ou Voyages d'un Petit Negre a Recherche de Son Maitre. Paris: Librarie Enfantine et Juvenile de Pierre Maumus. 285 pp. Hardback small, very good condition, original brown leather cover (spine decoration & label), marbled endpapers & edges, black & white engravings (frontispiece, title page & two internal pages), minor edgewear, string bookmark, dated prize bookplate, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve (acetate). Our Book No: 16845. $200 AUD.
12. Bulfin, William (1908). Rambles in Eirinn (2nd impression ed). Dublin: M. H. Gill & Son. 456 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, very good condition, original black cloth cover, (gilt pattern & lettering), black & white photos, frontispiece portrait, foldout maps, moderate foxing edges, front inner hinge minimally split (pages firm), edge tears front endpapers, minor edgewear, minor annotation rear endpapers, prize bookplate. An excellent early copy of this classic tale of travel throughout Ireland, originally published in 1907 and frequently reprinted. Our Book No: 16823. $80 AUD.
13. Bundy, Ariana; Linder, Lisa (photographer) (2015). Pomegranates and Roses: My Persian Family Recipes. London: Simon & Schuster. 224 pp. Paperback small quarto (with flaps), very good plus condition, full-page colour photos, minor edgewear. This beautiful book captures the essence of Persian cuisine. The Iranian-born author writes about Persian food, her family, and the history behind the country and its cuisine. The photos bring the many recipes to life. ISBN: 9781471149269. Our Book No: 28921. $25 AUD.
14. Castro, Brian (2006). Shanghai Dancing: A Novel (3rd printing ed). Sydney, Artarmon: Giramondo Publishing Company. 447 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, charts, few black & white text-photos, faint foxing top edge, minor edgewear. Winner of Victorian Premier's Award 2003 for Fiction, Winner NSW Premier's Award for Fiction 2004. This fictional autobiography is told from an Australian perspective, it is loosely based on the author's family's life in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Macau from the 1930s to the 1960s. The author uses memory, stories, photos, and family myths and secrets to tell the story. ISBN: 0957831188. Our Book No: 28906. $20 AUD.
15. Choi, C. Y. (1975). Chinese Migration and Settlement in Australia. Sydney: Sydney University Press (SUP). 129 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), endpapers lightly toned, rear flyleaf little creased, minor edgewear. The first part of the book by a Chinese demographer traces the diverse origins of Chinese migrants, and their impact and acceptance among White Australians prior to World War 2 (WW2). Part 2 is a study of Chinese migration after WW2, and includes a detailed examination of tChinese families in Melbourne, and the shift in jobs, suburbs and related sociological trends. ISBN: 0424068109. Our Book No: 16850. $15 AUD.
16. Conway, Jill Ker (1998). When Memory Speaks: Exploring the Art of Autobiography (1st stated ed). New York: Alfred A. Knopf. 205 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition, (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket. First edition. Examines the modern memoir: the forms and styles it takes, and the different ways in which men and women respectively tend to understand and present their lives. Written by the popular Australian author of "The Road from Coorain" and "True North". ISBN: 0679445935. Our Book No: 28883. $15 AUD.
17. Cormick, Craig (editor) (2014). Ned Kelly Under the Microscope: Solving the Forensic Mystery of Ned Kelly's Remains (1st ed). Melbourne, Collingwood: CSIRO Publishing. 263 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, black & white & colour & sepia (brown-tinted) text-photos, minor edgewear corners. A report on the 20-month scientific process of identifying the remains of Ned Kelly, with chapters on anthropology, odontology, DNA studies, metallurgical analysis of the Kelly gang's armour, and archaeological digs at Pentridge prison and Glenrowan. There is a medical analysis of Ned's wounds and a chapter on handwriting analysis which all lead to the challenging conclusion. There are photos taken during the forensic investigation, historical images, and breakout boxes of little-known facts about Ned Kelly and the gang. ISBN: 9781486301768. Our Book No: 28911. $30 AUD.
18. Cousins, Arthur (1933). The Northern Rivers of New South Wales [N.S.W.] [Australian Local & Regional Histories]. Sydney: Shakespeare Head. 108 pp. Paperback small, good plus condition, black & white text-photos, frontispiece map, corner rear cover creased, covered staples rusted, covers little foxed & toned, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. An excellent history and description, for school students, of the north coastal region of New South Wales, centred on the Clarence River and the town of Grafton. Our Book No: 16827. $30 AUD.
19. Cross, J. P. (1989). Jungle Warfare: Experiences and Encounters (1st ed). London: Guild Publishing / Arms and Armour Press. 222 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, minor edgewear jacket (top edge lightly creased). Contains many examples from the British and Japanese sides in the Second World War (WW2), showing how the opposing forces recognized and then sought to resolve the difficulties posed by the jungle. The author is one of the world's most experienced jungle fighters and has spent most of his life teaching the art of jungle warfare. This book is the perfect blend of factual military history and the empathetic, personal recollection of a skilled and internationally admired person. Our Book No: 28875. $25 AUD.
20. Cummins, Harry Hadden (1946). That Reminds Me: A Collection of the Best Stories of Forty Years. Hobart: Oldham, Beddome, and Meredith. 190 pp. Paperback dustjacket (fixed to board spine), good condition (in poor jacket), jacket foxed & torn (front flap removed), edgewear, owner's written name & details. A collection of period jokes by a Hobart identity. Our Book No: 4112. $10 AUD.
21. Dale, Darley (1885). Wild Marsh-Marigolds. London: Blackie & Son. 63 pp. Hardback small, no jacket as issued, blue cloth pictorial cover, very good condition, colour frontispiece, endpapers toned, cover corners lightly bumped. Estimated date: 1885 (British Library catalogue). Novel for young adults. Darley Dale is a pen-name for Francesca Maria Steele. The decorative heritage cover shows a girl clutching an umbrella and a dog. Our Book No: 10908. $10 AUD.
22. Darby, Dr Garry ; Emanuel, Cedric (illustrator) (2006). Cedric Emanuel: I Know You Are an Artist: 1906 - 1995. Sydney, Rosebery: Hippo Books (Printer). 82 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good plus condition, black & white drawings & photos, minor edgewear. (Estimated date, 2006, Trove catalogue.) This biography tells the story of a prolific and successful Sydney artist who earned a lifetime income from his well-known artwork. Superb pencil drawings by Cedric Emanuel are included in the book. There is a list of the books illustrated by Cedric from 1945 to 1988. ISBN: 0646455885. Our Book No: 28922. $30 AUD.
23. Davies, George; Miller, Roderick (foreword) (2001). The Occupation of Japan: The Rhetoric and the Reality of Anglo-Australasian Relations 1939 - 1952. Brisbane, St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (UQP). 391 pp. Paperback thick octavo, good plus condition, black & white photos, maps, inside covers & edges lightly foxed, edges & pages toned, bottom corner rear cover creased, top spine lightly bumped, few small marks fore-edge, minor edgewear corners. This book is a unique analysis of the relative contributions of Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom to World War 2 in the Middle East and the Pacific. The maps and photos make this book an important contribution to military history. The author was a member of the first contingent of New Zealanders who left Italy to join the British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF) in Japan. ISBN: 0702232092. Our Book No: 28891. $15 AUD.
24. Edwards, Hugh (1984). Port of Pearls: Broome's First 100 Years. Perth, Swanbourne: Hugh Edwards. 198 pp. Paperback trade, good plus condition, black & white text-photos (few colour), spine little creased, spine ends little scuffed, faint tide marks (previous water contact now dry) top edge rear cover & last few pages, minor edgewear corners, autograph (author's written name). This is the story of Broome, Western Australia. In March 1942, the pearling fleet was burnt, then faced bankruptcy, in the 1960s pearl-farming was introduced, and local cultured pearls are now the biggest and best in the world and the industry is worth millions of dollars annually. The Western Australian author is also a marine photographer, and his historical and contemporary look at Broome make this a fascinating book. ISBN: 0646193090. Our Book No: 28913. $18 AUD.
25. Elliott, Di; Silver, Lynette (2007). A History of the 2/18th Infantry Battalion: Based on the Original Book Against All Odds (Revised ed). Sydney, Pennant Hills: 2/18th Battalion (AIF) Association / Australian Military History Publications (AMHP). 306 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, as new condition, pictorial cover, black & white photos. War service in Singapore and Malaya, and as prisoners of war in camps in Singapore, Borneo, Japan, Sumatra, and on the Thai-Burma Railway. Revised edition of James Burfitt's "Against All Odds" (1991). It was raised in northern NSW and Sydney in 1940 as part of the 8th Division. It assumed garrison duties in Malaya in February 1941 and trained continuously for ten months, with an emphasis on jungle warfare. It had a total of nine days in its fighting history and during that brief period lost 225 men killed, with over 400 wounded. With the fall of Singapore it went into captivity, its men being split between camps in Singapore, Sumatra, Java, Borneo and Japan, and on the Burma-Thai railway. Includes a nominal roll. ISBN: 9781876439835. Our Book No: 16845. $30 AUD.
26. Evans, Ken; Scott, Allan; Budrys, A. J. (1984). Cycle Repair and Maintenance (1st U.K. ed). London: Adam & Charles Black. 96 pp. Paperback wide quarto, very good condition, black & white drawings & photos, minor edgewear, cover corner tips little worn, faint foxing edges, top corner front cover creased. Based on "Bicycles: How They Work and How to Fix Them" by Budrys. This edition has been adapted for the UK by Evans and Scott. The book is a comprehensive maintenance guide, and explains and illustrates the parts of all types of bicycles popular throughout Europe and elsewhere. How they work, how they might go wrong and precisely how to fix the problems are all covered. There are step-by-step instructions, photos and diagrams. A useful book for all bicycle owners. ISBN: 0713624515. Our Book No: 28905. $18 AUD.
27. Favenc, Ernest (1967). The History of Australian Exploration from 1788 to 1888: Compiled from State Documents, Private Papers and the Most Authentic Sources of Information (Facsimile ed). Amsterdam: Meridian Publishing Co. 474 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, gilt title on cover & spine, maps, few black & white drawings, maps, fold-out frontispiece map (tiny tear bottom edge & tiny loss), endpapers lightly toned & little foxed, edges & pages lightly toned, faint foxing edges. Facsimile edition. An unchanged facsimile of the 1888 Sydney edition. The author has included some of the best examples of courage and fortitude which helped the early explorers to build Australia. Includes the authors' dedication to Sir Henry Parkes, maps, an extract of letters to Sir Joseph Banks, from Captain Matthew Flinders March 1806, an extract from a letter written by Mr E. J. Eyre, and signatures of various Australian explorers. A wonderful book to add to an Australian history collection. Our Book No: 28882. $60 AUD.
28. Garrett, Eileen J. (1969). Many Voices: The Autobiography of a Medium (1st U.K. ed). London: George Allen & Unwin. 256 pp. Hardback octavo, jacket missing (flaps loosely inserted), fair condition (internally very good condition), bottom edge few rear pages stained, page edges foxed (few small edge tears), minimal annotation, non-author written dedication. Autobiography of the American medium who later in life supported the scientific study of psychic phenomena (parapsychology). ISBN: 0049200216. Our Book No: 16847. $15 AUD.
29. Gould Group, compiler (2008). The Nestbox Book: Enjoy the Wonder of Nesting. Melbourne: Wilkinson Publishing. 80 pp. Paperback large thin octavo, very good condition, colour text-photos, single-colour drawings, cream background top part covers little faded, title front cover little faded, minor edgewear. This practical and helpful book is a guide to the selection, construction, instalment and maintenance of a selection of nestboxes for a variety of native Australian birds and mammals. ISBN: 9781921332265. Our Book No: 28896. $15 AUD.
30. Green, Philip M. (1987). Memories of Occupied Japan (1st stated ed). Blackheath, NSW: Philip Green / Logosprint Pty Ltd (printer). 167 pp. Paperback wide trade, illustrated thick card covers, very good condition, black & white photos, flyleaves & pages lightly toned, light creases front cover, minor edgewear, autograph (author 's written name title page). The story of British Commonwealth Occupation Forces in Japan (BCOF). He has used the diary he kept throughout his career, letters sent home, and clippings from the BCOF newspaper, BCON, to compile this fascinating book. He wrote the book to pay tribute to the people who served in Japan. The book will interest anyone interested in our military history. ISBN: 0731608313. Our Book No: 28879. $30 AUD.
31. Griesberg, Harry (editor); Basterfield, Keith (editor) (1981). Proceedings of the Sixth Annual ACUFOS UFO Conference, Adelaide SA 1981. Gosford, NSW: Australian Centre for UFO Studies (ACUFOS). Unnum pp. Paperback large quarto, good condition, figures, black spiral binding, typewritten text, card covers (little marked), edges little foxed, minor edgewear, minor text annotation, owner's written name. A collection of 10 essays presented at this UFO conference (pages of each individually numbered). Topics covered include: the "ufo state of mind", electromagnetic radiation, UFO noises, ghostlights, close encounters of the third kind, lightning strike effects, perceptual implications, Aboriginal myths. Our Book No: 16859. $50 AUD.
32. Habel, Norman (editor); Elders, Rainbow Spirit & Corowa, Jasmine (artist) (2000). Rainbow Spirit in Creation: A Reading of Genesis 1. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press. Unnum pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), colour photos (paintings). The delightful paintings and accompanying text seek to capture the creation story in the Bible (Genesis 1), through the eyes of the (Aboriginal) Rainbow Spirit Elders from Queensland. Corowa is a Christian Aboriginal artist from Queensland, and is the daughter of a rainbow spirit elder. Habel is professor of Hebrew Bible at the Lutheran Theological College, Adelaide. ISBN: 0814627161. Our Book No: 4123. $20 AUD.
33. Handley Knibbs, George (1913). Voices of the North (Book I) and Echoes of Hellas (Book II) (1st ed). London: Alston Rivers. 291 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, brown cloth cover (gilt title cover & spine), endpapers lightly toned & little foxed, pages faintly toned, top edge toned, light foxing flyleaf & title page, minor foxing some pages, inner hinge little split (pages firm), spine ends & edges little rubbed, cover corner tips little rubbed, autograph (author's written dedication). This book is epic poetry based on ancient Scandinavian and Greek myths. The foreword states that the book consists of two books, each of three parts. Part 3 of Book I and parts 2 and 3 of Book II are original poems. Parts 1 and 2 of Book 1 are paraphrases, rather than strict translations, of poems by Finnish authors. Part 1 of Book II is a translation of a rendering into German by Linke of the story we owe to Apuleius. Each Book has its own dedication, preface, and list of contents. (Extensive written dedication to his friend Rev. N. Cocks, in Greek and English, on front free flyleaf.). Our Book No: 28884. $30 AUD.
34. Harris, Russ (2009). ACT With Love: Stop Struggling, Reconcile Differences, and Strengthen Your Relationship with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (Reprint ed). Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications. 230 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, minor edgewear, old price marks. Popular myths about love set us up for a struggle with real life. The inconvenient truth is there's no such thing as a perfect partner, all couples fight, and feelings of love come and go like the weather. But that doesn't mean you can't have a joyful and romantic relationship. Through a simple program based on the revolutionary new mindfulness-based acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), you can learn to handle painful thoughts and feelings more effectively and engage fully in the process of living and loving together. With your partner or alone, teaches you how to let go of conflict, open up, and live fully in the present. Use mindfulness to increase intimacy, connection, and understanding. Resolve painful conflicts and reconcile long-standing differences. Act on your values to build a rich and meaningful relationship. ISBN: 9781572246225. Our Book No: 16864. $20 AUD.
35. Hazlitt, William (Wm); Archer, William (editor); Lowe, Robert W. (Robt) (editor) (1895). Dramatic Essays. London: Walter Scott, Ltd. 231 pp. Hardback small, very good condition, burgundy cloth cover, frontispiece portrait (tissue guard), top edge gilt (little marked), endpapers toned & lightly foxed, minor edgewear. These critical essays about the British theatre were originally collected and published in 1854. Here, the editors have selected the best ones, edited, with notes and an introduction. William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830), of Irish Protestant descent, was one of the best-known literary critics and essayists. Publishers catalogue at rear (8p). Our Book No: 16854. $40 AUD.
36. Hill, Graham L. (2006). Surgeon Scientist: Adventures in Surgical Research. Auckland, NZ: Random House New Zealand. 208 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, black & white diagrams & figures, tiny scuff top spine, bottom corner rear cover & few pages minimally worn, minor edgewear. This is the inspiring story of the working life of Professor Graham Hill, a surgeon who has worked in hospitals and teaching institutions in New Zealand, Indonesia, Britain and the United States. An intriguing scientific detective story is given, as Professor Hill and his teams put together clues, about how bodies heal. Anyone interested in new advances in medicine will enjoy this book. ISBN: 1868417925. Our Book No: 28912. $25 AUD.
37. Hocking, Geoff (2012). Under the Southern Cross: The Rebels, Martyrs, Exiles and Activists Who Shaped Australia. Melbourne, Scoresby: Five Mile Press. 394 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, sepia & colour & black & white photos, top corner rear cover creased, small bump bottom edge front cover & few pages, minor edgewear. This book has many photos, artwork reproductions, newspaper illustrations and contemporary graphics to tell the story of people who have challenged authority in Australian history from 1798 to the present day. This well illustrated wide-ranging story is written in an-easy-to-read narrative style. ISBN: 9781743007952. Our Book No: 28931. $25 AUD.
38. Hulme, Mike (Michael) (2010). Why We Disagree About Climate Change: Understanding Controversy, Inaction and Opportunity (Reprint ed). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (CUP). 392 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition. Climate change is not 'a problem' waiting for 'a solution'. It is an environmental, cultural and political phenomenon which is re-shaping the way we think about ourselves, our societies and humanity's place on Earth. Drawing upon 25 years of professional work as an international climate change scientist and public commentator, Mike Hulme provides a unique insider's account of the emergence of this phenomenon and the diverse ways in which it is understood. He uses different standpoints from science, economics, faith, psychology, communication, sociology, politics and development to explain why we disagree about climate change. In this way he shows that climate change, far from being simply an 'issue' or a 'threat', can act as a catalyst to revise our perception of our place in the world. An important contribution to the ongoing debate over climate change and its likely impact on our lives. ISBN: 9780521898690. Our Book No: 16849. $30 AUD.
39. Humphreys, Christmas (1973). Concentration and Meditation: A Manual of Mind Development (3rd ed). Baltimore: Pelican Books / Penguin Books. 254 pp. Paperback, fair condition (complete reading copy), corner rear cover & few pages stained, covers little scuffed & creased, pages toned, edgewear, rubber bookshop stamp, old price marks. Third edition. A leading Buddhist thinker explains how mind-development is the highest step on the path to spiritual perfection. Explains the basic principles of concentration and meditation simply without needing to understand the details of Buddhist thought. ISBN: 0140212361. Our Book No: 4116. $10 AUD.
40. Isaacs, Jennifer (1996). A Companion Guide to Bush Food (1st ed). Sydney: Lansdowne Press. 158 pp. Paperback tall narrow trade, very good condition, colour text-photos, spine ends minimally bumped, minor edgewear. This pocket edition has been published to accompany the author's "Bush Food". This concise clear compendium lists the kinds of foods eaten by Aborigines. The foods are listed alphabetically by common name for easy reference, and there are more than 100 photos. The book explains how the foods are gathered and caught, prepared and cooked, and contains notes on their nutritional value. ISBN: 1863025146. Our Book No: 28903. $30 AUD.
41. Isaacs, Jennifer (2002). Australian Aboriginal Paintings (Reissue ed). Sydney, Frenchs Forest: New Holland. 189 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, colour reproductions, few colour text-photos, top corner front cover creased, minimal edgewear corners & few internal pages. An overview of traditional Aboriginal religious paintings. They are all from the Dreaming, the Tjukurrpa, the Wonggar, the Creation, and express this now in present day Australia. The book does not analyse or explain the paintings. The minimal notes provided allow the paintings to speak for themselves. ISBN: 1864368039. Our Book No: 28894. $30 AUD.
42. Jacobs, Susie; Burgess, Linda (photographer) (1991). Recipes from a Greek Island (1st ed). London: Conran Octopus. 144 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, colour photos (most full-page), faint foxing top edge, minor edgewear. This book rediscovers the Greek culinary tradition which follows the healthier Mediterranean diet. The beautiful photos show a Greece unknown even to the many visitors who visit the beaches yearly. The author has lived on the island of Hydra since 1976. The recipes have been collected from local people, and she has developed her own variations, using local ingredients. ISBN: 1850295085. Our Book No: 28880. $20 AUD.
43. Joyce, James; Ellmann, Richard (introduction & notes) (1968). Giacomo Joyce (Reissue ed). New York: Viking Press. Unnum pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good plus dustjacket), red boards (grey cloth spine), frontispiece, pages lightly toned, edges little foxed, reverse side jacket lightly toned (edge tears, faded notably spine, tiny hole spine, flap clipped, light loss spine ends). This book was first published in 1959. It is an autobiographical love story written by James Joyce in Trieste, thought to be in 1914, when he was 32. Richard Ellmann's introduction, a fascinating piece of literary detection, dates the work from internal evidence, the title is explained, the reports the circumstances behind the story - and gives a possible reason why, after the copy was prepared for the printer, it was never published. This reissue edition retains the introduction and notes, with some revisions. The book includes four manuscript pages in reduced facsimile, as well as a frontispiece portrait. Our Book No: 28890. $20 AUD.
44. Jurisevic, Craig (2011). Blood On My Hands: An Australian Surgeon's Extraordinary Story of Courage and Conflict (Reprint ed). Melbourne: Wild Dingo Press. 328 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, maps, colour photos center spread, corners tips little creased covers, pages lightly toned, bottom corner tip front cover little scuffed, minor edgewear. Memoirs of an Australian surgeon. The author recalls his grandfather's ordeal in a Nazi concentration camp and to honour his memory he offers his skills as a surgeon to the victims of the war in Kosovo. This book has been co-written with Robert Hillman. ISBN: 9780980757002. Our Book No: 28885. $15 AUD.
45. Kadloubovsky, E. (translator); Palmer, G. E. H. (translator) (1981). Early Fathers from the Philokalia Together with Some Writings of St Abba Dorotheus St Isaac of Syria and St Gregory Palamas (Reprint ed). London: Faber & Faber. 421 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition,(in good dustjacket), edges lightly foxed, flap clipped jacket (minor edgewear, faint foxing reverse side, minor foxing front cover & spine), bottom corner rear cover little bumped. From title page: "Selected and translated from the Russian text Dobrotolubiye." This book is drawn from the great collection of writings of Fathers of the Orthodox Church which was compiled in the 18th century under the title Philokalis. The translators have given a representative collection of writings from between the 3rd and 7th centuries. These texts date from very early times in the Christian era, and they are all before the 11th-century schism between the Eastern and Western churches. ISBN: 0571037941. Our Book No: 28868. $40 AUD.
46. Kelly, Paul (2014). Triumph and Demise: The Broken Promise of a Labor Generation (1st ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 560 pp. Hardback thick octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket. Heavy (1.0 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. First edition. Drawing on more than 60 interviews with all the major players, a senior journalist from "The Australian" provides an inside account of the hopes, achievements and bitter failures of the Labor Government from 2007 to 2013. Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard came together to defeat John Howard, formed a brilliant partnership and raised the hopes of the nation. Yet they fell into tension and then hostility. The full story of Julia Gillard’s tragedy as our first female prime minister - her character, Rudd’s destabilisation, the carbon tax saga and how Gillard was finally pulled down on the eve of the 2013 election by Tony Abbott. ISBN: 9780522862102. Our Book No: 16839. $25 AUD.
47. Kingston, William H. G. (1865). The Gilpins and Their Fortunes: An Australian Tale (1st ed). London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (SPCK). 171 pp. Hardback small, good condition, quarter-bound patterned cloth (gilt title on spine), engraved frontispiece, four leaves of plates, edges & pages toned, small loss & closed tear top spine, light foxing endpapers & few pages, minor edgewear, front inner hinge little split (pages firm, free flyleaf little loose), owner's written name. (True first edition, undated but 1865, Trove catalogue & Muir 3936.) An early children's story set in Australia. Suitable for young adults and adults who like old collectable books. Our Book No: 28871. $50 AUD.
48. Knight, Peter (2000). Conspiracy Culture: From the Kennedy Assassination to the X-Files. London: Routledge. 287 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, corner creased rear cover. Conspiracy theories are everywhere in post-war American culture. From postmodern novels to The X-Files and from gangsta rap to feminist polemic, there is a widespread suspicion that sinister forces are conspiring to take control of our national destiny, our minds, and even our bodies. Conspiracy explanations can no longer be dismissed as the paranoid delusions of far-right crackpots. They have become a necessary response to a risky and increasingly globalized world, in which everything is connected but nothing adds up. An engaging and cogent analysis of the development of conspiracy culture, and about familiar topics like the Kennedy assassination, alien abduction, body horror, AIDS, crack cocaine, the New World Order, as well as more unusual ones like the conspiracies of patriarchy and white supremacy. By lecturer in American studies, Manchester University. ISBN: 0415189780. Our Book No: 16832. $20 AUD.
49. Kuchling, Guundie; Kuchling, Gerald (1997). Yakkinn the Swamp Tortoise Survival (Book Two) (1st ed). Flinders Park, SA: Era Publications. 32 pp. Paperback oblong large quarto, very good plus condition, colour drawings (many full-page), minor edgewear. Sequel to the award-winning "Yakkinn the Swamp Tortoise: The Most Dangerous Year" is a dramatic telling of the dangers the tortoise must face in order to survive - not only as an individual, but as a species. Aboriginal myths (Swan River Valley, Western Australia). The illustrations bring this wonderful book to life. (Yakkinn is the Aboriginal word for tortoise.). ISBN: 1863742743. Our Book No: 23961. $20 AUD.
50. Lambert, Amy (1977). Thirty Years of an Artist's Life: The Career of G. W. Lambert, A.R.A. (2nd ed). Sydney, Artarmon: Australian Artist Editions. 229 + 10 plates pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white photos (including frontispiece), black & white plates, black label with gilt title on spine, bottom corners covers little bumped, minor edgewear jacket (laminate coating lifting, flap clipped, little scratched, & rubbed, front flap creased). This is the story of George Washington Thomas Lambert who was born in St. Petersburg, September 13th, 1873, of a legally undefined nationality. He later became Australia's foremost artist. The book was written by his wife Amy, 200 copies were printed in 1938 of which a large number were lost at sea on the way to England during the Second World War. In 1963, the author wanted her book to be reprinted just as it was first published. The publisher suggested a few more plates be added to illustrate some of George's work. In 1977 Bloxham and Chambers were commissioned to reprint 1000 copies of the book for the Australian Artist Editions. ISBN: 0959839526. Our Book No: 28895. $30 AUD.
51. Leviston, Dorothy (2014). No Glass Ceiling For Me: A Self-Made Businesswoman in the 1970s (1st ed). Sydney, Epping: Delphian Books. 238 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, black & white & colour text-photos, minor edgewear, spine little faded. This autobiography is written by Dorothy Leviston who owned and ran a chain of independent hairdressing salons in Victoria in the 1970s. At the same time, she was a young wife and mother and was involved in a lot of community work. Dorothy overcame the handicaps of her childhood including deprivation of education to have a successful business. Depicts a woman of boundless energy, enterprise and resilience, determined to get past the obstacles in her life. ISBN: 9780987524843. Our Book No: 28910. $28 AUD.
52. Leyden, Peter (editor) (1958). The Australian Children's Pictorial Social Studies (25 parts). Sydney, North Sydney: Australian Visual Education / Schools Publishing House. Each issue: 28 to 32 pp. Each issue: Paparback large quarto (310 x 250mm), card cover (stapled, rusted), fair to very good condition, black & white or sepia (brown-coloured) drawings (strip cartoons), page edges little toned, minor foxing covers & endpapers (few issues moderate foxing), some edgewear, few defects (see below). Two slipcases MISSING. Very heavy (4.2 Kg). Australian history told in strip cartoon format for Australian school children. Complete set (except for the slipcases). The topics range from "The first Australians (The story of Aborigines)" (no 1), to "The story of Anzac" (no 25). Among the 25 parts are two parents' guide and revision manuals. A scarce complete set, good plus condition overall, with a few defects: tide marks bottom hinge (previous water contact now dry) (few issues), centre page loose (few issues), cartoon cut out one page (no 18), top hinge front cover bumped & dented (no 22). Our Book No: 12452. $200 AUD.
53. Lindrum, Walter; Spencer, Claude (foreword) (1937). Billiards and Snooker (1st ed). Sydney: Tooheys Ltd. Unnum 64 pp. Paperback small, very good condition, illustrated card cover, black & white drawings & text-photos, front hinge little split (pages firm), minor edgewear, autograph (author's written name). Unstated first edition (latest remarkable deed dated 1937.) The world champion Australian billiards player ("the world's greatest living player") explains how to play the game. An abundantly illustrated booklet sponsored by an Australian brewery (Tooheys banner across top & bottom of each page.). Our Book No: 4110. $80 AUD.
54. Lindsay, Norman; Bloomfield, Lin (editor) (1995). The World of Norman Lindsay (3rd ed). Sydney: Odana Editions. 158 pp. Paperback small quarto, as new condition, black & white & colour drawings & text-photos (some full-page), red lettering spine faded, autograph (editor's written name). Third edition. Contains a rich selection of Norman Lindsay's artwork - much of which has not previously been reproduced - as well as numerous photographs taken from family albums and unpublished letters and manuscripts. This third edition is updated and revised, and contains a new chapter and 20 different photographs. ISBN: 0908154402. Our Book No: 16834. $30 AUD.
55. Loewenstein, Antony (2008). The Blogging Revolution (1st ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 294 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear corners. This book is an account of bloggers around the world. The author visits Iran and Egypt, internet cafes in Saudi Arabia and Damascus, the homes of Cuban dissidents and newspaper offices in Beijing. The book examines the nature of repression in the 21st century, and the power of brave individuals who try to overcome thid tyranny. ISBN: 9780522854909. Our Book No: 28874. $15 AUD.
56. Lyon, Alan B. (2000). Japanese War Crimes: The Trials of the Naoetsu Camp Guards. Loftus, NSW: Australian Military History Publications (AMHP). 115 pp. Hardback small quarto, no dustjacket, pictorial cover, very good condition, black & white text-photos, few small dents top & bottom edges covers. This book covers what happened when the guards from the Naoetsu POW Camp 4-B in Japan were tried. In Naoetsu camp, 300 Australian prisoners of war were interned and 60 of them died because of ill-treatment between 1943 and 1944. The author describes events leading to the Japanese surrender, the Potsdam Declaration and why Emperor Hirohito was not charged as a war criminal. The book ends with a description of the "Peace and Friendship Park", which was dedicated on 8 October 1995, at the site of the Naoetsu Camp, to the memory of the 60 Australians who died there. ISBN: 1876439963. Our Book No: 28886. $40 AUD.
57. Lyons, Wendy J. (2010). Left of Tomorrow: A journey of Stroke Recovery. Victoria, Glen Waverley: Sid Harta Publishers. 187 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top spine little scuffed, minor edgewear, autograph (author's written name). This uplifting book tells the story of her recovery from stroke. In August 2000, Wendy suffered and survived a stroke. The small bleed in the left thalamus of the mid-brain caused a permanent shift in her innate ability to interpret and process sensory perceptions on the right side of her body. ISBN: 9781921642456. Our Book No: 28899. $18 AUD.
58. MacGregor, Sandy; Thomson, Jimmy (told to) (1993). No Need for Heroes (The Original Tunnel Rats: The True Story of the Aussies Who Were First to Explore the Viet Cong's Incredible Underground Cities). Sydney: Calm Pty Ltd. 268 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition, black & white text-photos, minor edgewear. The thrilling, inspiring and frequently hilarious story of the 3 Field Troop of volunteer engineers, who were some of the first Australians to fight in Vietnam. They were first to explore the underground cities, whereas the Americans were just blowing up the entrances and bombing them from the air. ISBN: 0646151673. Our Book No: 6491. $18 AUD.
59. Maga, Tim (2001). Judgment at Tokyo: The Japanese War Crimes Trials. Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky. 181 pp. Hardback wide octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, minor edgewear jacket (top & bottom edges lightly creased, closed tear bottom edge), label front pastedown (covers scuff mark). This book is a reassessment of the trials, in which defendants ranged from Japanese Imperial Army privates to former prime ministers. The author shows that these were cases in which good law was practiced and that they changed the way war crimes trials are approached today. ISBN: 0813121779. Our Book No: 28878. $20 AUD.
60. Magrs, Paul (2014). The Story of Fester Cat: How One Remarkable Cat Changed Two Men's Lives (1st ed). New York: Penguin Group. 295 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos, minor edgewear, corner tips covers little scuffed, reader crease at cover join to spine, spine edges little rubbed, spine ends little rubbed. This is the true story of an extraordinary little cat whose gentle ways and trusting soul changed two young men from Manchester into a family. This story is unique because Fester tells his story through his eyes, and the author writes the afterword. A warm story that will appeal to all cat lovers. ISBN: 9780425275047. Our Book No: 28914. $15 AUD.
61. Malouf, David (2007). Typewriter Music (1st ed). Brisbane, St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (UQP). 82 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), edges little foxed, pages lightly toned, few small marks jacket (few closed tears, title little faded spine). A new collection of poetry by the Australian novelist - intelligent, but steps lightly among the daily objects of life. The poems affirm the mystical delights of music, angels and fields. ISBN: 9780702236310. Our Book No: 28888. $17 AUD.
62. Marks, Kathy (1996). Faces of Right Wing Extremism. Boston: Branden Publishing. 238 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text photos, minor edgewear. A critical examination of right wing political violence in the United States over the previous 25 years, with a focus on David Koresh, Randy Weaver and the Oklahoma City bombing. ISBN: 0828320160. Our Book No: 16848. $15 AUD.
63. Marx, Enid (1972). Sam & Arry (1st ed). London: Chatto & Windus. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback oblong, very good condition, pictorial boards, beige cloth spine, brown & blue drawings, lillustrated endpapers, light toning pages, pages slightly loose at base spine (missing stitch), light foxing spine & edges, few little holes along spine edge, minor edgewear. This delightful collectible children's book, written and illustrated by Enid Marx, is about two Siamese kittens who have plenty of adventures. Arry was shy, Sam ruled everyone with a velvet paw, and was always up to something. The beautiful life-like drawings by the author will charm all ages. ISBN: 0701104929. Our Book No: 28932. $60 AUD.
64. Mernissi, Fatima (1992). Islam and Democracy: Fear of the Modern World. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley. 195 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), quarter-bound (superior cloth along spine), minor edgewear. Moroccan sociologist explores whether democracy and human rights can be compatible with Islam. ISBN: 0201608839. Our Book No: 4880. $15 AUD.
65. Moravec, Mark (1981). Psiufo Phenomena: A Study of UFOs and the Paranormal. Gosford, NSW: Australian Centre for UFO Studies (ACUFOS). 138 pp. Paperback large quarto, good condition, black spiral binding, typewritten text, covers & edges notably foxed, edgewear. A study of UFO reports in which paranormal phenomena (eg, mental communications, poltergeists, apparitions,healings, ghostlights, time lapses & abductions) were also reported. Includes a catalogue of 88 Australian case reports, including a summary of each case. Our Book No: 16856. $50 AUD.
66. Napier, Francis; Keddie, Mr. W. (notes) (1876). Notes of a Voyage from New South Wales to the North Coast of Australia, from the Journal of the Late Francis Napier (1st ed). [Glasgow]: [James R. Napier]. 96 pp. Hardback small (19.0 x 13.0 cm), no jacket as issued, very good condition, original blue cover (gilt vignette, border & spine lettering, little faded), black endpapers, full-page black & white plates, frontispiece portrait (tissue guard), errata page, maps (including foldouts at rear, creased at folds), minor foxing (mainly plates & maps & page edges), edges & pages faintly toned, bottom edge little bumped, some edgewear, two small bookshop stickers. (Estimated date, 1876, Trove catalogue.) In 1867 Francis Napier joined the South Australian Government expedition under Captain Francis Cadell to the north coast of the state (now the Northern Territory) searching for suitable sites for a capital and agricultural settlement. He examined the Liverpool River, went up the Roper River in a small steamer and visited Port Darwin, Anson Bay and the Victoria River. Cadell's report, published in the South Australian Parliamentary Papers for 1867, was criticised at the time. As a result, Napier’s “Notes” were the only public account of the expedition and are an important document of the early contact and charting of the region. It was compiled from Napier’s journal by his family and privately printed in Glasgow following his death in 1875. The plates, drawn with lithographic crayon, were done by a brother of Napier, and are signed “JMN”. (Ferguson 13058. Scarce. Small bookshop stickers: A. H. Spencer Hill of Content, Berkelouw Bookdealers. All five maps present: 1 internal page, and 4 as foldouts. All 8 lithographic plates present, as listed on contents page.). Our Book No: 16838. $880 AUD.
67. Neale, Margo (editor) (2000). Urban Dingo: The Art and Life of Lin Onus 1948 - 1996. Queensland: Queensland Art Gallery / Craftsman House. 144 pp. Paperback large wide quarto (french flaps), good condition, colour plates, black & white text-photos, frontispiece, spine ends & cover corner tips little worn, top corner tips few pages little worn, faint tide marks (previous water contact now dry) edge covers & pages (not affecting paintings & text), minor edgewear. Lin Onus died prematurely in 1996 at the age of 47. He was born in Melbourne in 1948, the only child of a Scottish mother and an Aboriginal father from the Yorta Yorta people of Victoria. This is the first publication to look at the art and life of this remarkable contemporary Australian artist. This beautifully illustrated book is published to coincide with a retrospective exhibition which brings together, for the first time, a large body of the artist's work. There are 58 paintings, prints and sculptures drawn from 31 private, public and corporate collections. There are previously unpublished photos from the Onus family albums. The photos reveal the interdependence of a Koori artist's personal, political, cultural and artistic lives. ISBN: 1876509848. Our Book No: 28898. $95 AUD.
68. O'Reilly, M.J. (Mulga Mick) (1944). Bowyangs and Boomerangs: Reminiscences of 40 years' Prospecting in Australia and Tasmania. Hobart: Oldham, Beddome, and Meredith. 164 pp. Paperback small, dustjacket (fixed to spine), fair condition (in good dustjacket), grey pictorial cover, tide marks (previous water contact now dry) top corner most pages, pages lightly toned, covers little creased, minor edgewear, rubber bookshop stamp. A fascinating life of prospecting in the Western Australian goldfields (Kalgoorlie, Murchison, Pilbara), Central Australia (Alice Springs), the opal firlds of South Australia, and finally for osmiridium at Adamsfield, Tasmania. Our Book No: 16830. $10 AUD.
69. Office, War (1955). Manual of Map Reading, Air Photo Reading and Field Sketching: Part 1: Map Reading. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office (HMSO). 132 pp. Hardback small, no jacket as issued, very good condition, red cloth cover, figures, black & white & colour maps (some foldout), front endpapers toned, minor foxing & edgewear. New edition 1955 (originally published 1929). A standard comprehensive guide to map reading. Includes mapcraft, sclaes, conventional signs, shape of the ground, greid references (including pre-UTM and UTM in Britain), direction, prismatoc compass, map setting and position finding, and map reading instructions. Many sample maps. Our Book No: 4124. $18 AUD.
70. Osment, Michelle; Jake, B. M. (illustrator) (2009). Ten Tuatara (1st ed). New Plymouth, NZ: Little Friends Publishing. Unnum 24 pp. Paperback small oblong quarto, stapled, very good condition, colour drawings, spine little creased, top spine little scuffed, minor edgewear corners, non-author written dedication inside front cover. This very special children's counting picture book is written in rhyme. It is about ten tuataras who try to find a place to hide, somewhere safe from predators, somewhere dark inside. The tuatara is a large lizard-like New Zealand reptile. ISBN: 9780473151379. Our Book No: 28902. $20 AUD.
71. Owen, Ray (2011). Facing the Storm: Using CBT, Mindfulness and Acceptance to Build Resilience When Your World's Falling Apart. London: Routledge. 204 pp. Paperback, very good plus condition. We live in a world where bad things can, and do, happen irrespective of whether we are good or bad, whether we consider ourselves lucky or doomed, and with no regard to fairness. Any of us can find ourselves facing redundancy, the breakdown of a relationship, bankruptcy or any number of life changing crises, or supporting someone else who is. But that doesn't mean you have to be helpless. There are things that you can do to become more resilient. Using cognitive-behaviour therapy (CBT) and the latest developments in mindfulness and acceptance-based therapies, this practical guide will take you through each stage of preparing for, enduring, and recovering from a major life crisis. ISBN: 9780415676595. Our Book No: 16860. $30 AUD.
72. Papageorgiou, Costas; Goring, Hannah; Haslam, Justin (2011). Coping with Depression: A Guide to What Works for Patients, Carers, and Professionals (1st ed) [Coping With Series]. Oxford: Oneworld Publications. 184 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear corners. This book is an easy-to-use manual that gives expert advice and explains key information about depression. The authors have drawn on their own clinicial expertise and research to write the book. ISBN: 9781851688357. Our Book No: 28924. $16 AUD.
73. Park, Alison (1994). Textured Canvas Work (1st ed) [Milner Craft Series]. Sydney: Sally Milner. 114 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, black & white illustrations, full-page colour photos, few pages edge creases, minor edgewear corners. This book covers the basics for a beginner, and also the experienced embroiderer. The Australian author shows the ease of adding texture and a third dimension using beautiful colours and a wide variety of threads. There are detailed instructions for selecting the appropriate canvas and threads for any project, easy-to-follow diagrams, traditional stitches, and other unusual techniques. A really inspiring book for lovers of craft. ISBN: 1863511326. Our Book No: 28915. $15 AUD.
74. Patience, Alison; Matheson, Sally (2010). Finding France in Australia: Your Guide to Finding Everything Essentially French in Australia (2nd or revised ed). Melbourne, South Yarra: Matheson Publishing. 176 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, colour text-photos, corner tip rear cover lightly scuffed, faint stain bottom fore-edge rear cover & last few pages, minor edgewear. An updated edition of this book in which "lovers of France" from all around Australia have contributed their own personal "French finds". ISBN: 9780980541298. Our Book No: 28901. $17 AUD.
75. Phillips, Juanita; Milostic, Mario (with) (2010). A Pressure Cooker Saved My Life: How to Have It All, Do It All and Keep It All Together. Sydney: HarperCollins. 259 pp. Paperback large octavo, thick card covers (with flaps), very good condition, colour & single-colour illustrations, minor edgewear. Written by the presenter of the ABC's 7pm News Bulletin in Sydney. She writes about her busy life and shares ways that families can have calmer and more productive lives. The illustrations bring the story to life, and the many suggestions that are made make this a great book to read. ISBN: 9780733325885. Our Book No: 28908. $20 AUD.
76. Purcell, Lorraine (2010). The Miners' Friend: A Brief Account of the Life of Ludwig Hugo (Louis) Beyers 1840 - 1910 in Hill End, New South Wales & the Eastern Goldfields of Western Australia. Sydney, Carlton: Hill End & Tambaroora Gathering Group. 44 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, colour photo rear cover, sepia (brown-tinted) text-photos, maps, minor edgewear. This brief biography, compiled by Purcell, is about Ludwig (Louis) Beyers who was the much loved Mayor of Hill End. He left the eastern states to go to Western Australia to gain his fortune in the gold rushes of 1892. This book has been produced for the centenary of his death. It commemorates the laying of a plaque on his grave in the Mt Morgans cementary on 30 November 2010. His great granddaughter, Helen Heath has written a dedication on behalf of the Beyer descendants. ISBN: 9780980613223. Our Book No: 28873. $25 AUD.
77. Rayman, Margaret; Ridland, Vanessa; Sharpe, Katie; Westcott, Patsy; Heap, Will (photos) (2015). Healthy Eating to Reduce the Risk of Dementia: 100 Fantastic Recipes Based on Extensive In-Depth Research (1st ed). London: Kyle Cathie. 175 pp. Paperback small square quarto (with flaps), very good plus condition, colour photos (most full-page), minor edgewear. The author and her team of nutritional experts give clear and effective guidlines on how to adapt your diet and lifestyle to help protect against dementia. There are 100 recipes, all well-researched. The introduction gives a summary of the team's findings and explains what foods help to protect the brain and make it function to the best capacity. ISBN: 9780857832283. Our Book No: 28918. $20 AUD.
78. Renton, N. E. (2001). Family Trusts: A Plain English Guide for Australian Families of Average Means (2nd ed). Sydney: Wrightbooks. 294 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition. Second edition. ISBN: 1876627662. Our Book No: 4122. $10 AUD.
79. Reynaud, Daniel; McKernan, Dr Michael (foreword) (2015). The Man the Anzacs Revered: William "Fighting Mac" McKenzie, Anzac Chaplain (1st ed). Warburton, VIC: Signs Publishing Company. 262 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, sepia (brown-tinted) photos, tiny scuff base spine, edges lightly toned, rear cover little creased, few creases flyleaf (printing error), minor edgewear. This is the story of William McKenzie who was one of the most famous of the Anzacs, a legend for his work on Gallipoli and in France. He was a Salvation Army Chaplain, who preached against alcohol, brothels, gambling and bad language, yet he was respected and revered by the soldiers he served. The author has written a sympathetic and caring story. ISBN: 9781925044164. Our Book No: 28917. $30 AUD.
80. Sandford, Christopher (2012). The Rolling Stones Fifty Years (1st ed). London: Simon & Schuster. 497 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, sepia (brown-tinted) & colour photos, few tiny dents front cover near spine join, pages faintly toned, minor crease front cover, minor edgewear. A fascinating biography tof the story of the famous British rock'n'roll group, the Rolling Stones. He tells the human drama at the centre of their story, and explains what has made them so popular in Britain, admired for their flamboyance, creativity and lifestyles by some people, and reviled elsewhere for the same reasons. ISBN: 9780857201034. Our Book No: 28916. $25 AUD.
81. Sangha, Kamaljit K.; Athanasiou, Julie (editor) (2015). Ways to Live in Harmony With Nature: Living Sustainably and Working with Passion (1st ed). Melbourne, Docklands: Classic Author and Publishing Services Pty Ltd. 212 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos, figures, faint toning pages, minor edgewear. This book looks at ways people can make a difference to the Australian environment by making little changes to the way we do things. Written by an ecological economist. This is a good book for anyone interested in a sustainable way of life. ISBN: 9780994183774. Our Book No: 28923. $18 AUD.
82. Scurr, John; Chappell, Mike (colour plates) (1986). The Malayan Campaign 1948 - 60 (Reprint ed) [Ospry Men-At-Arms Series]. London: Osprey Publishing. 40 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, colour plates, black & white text-photos, pages lightly toned, edges lightly foxed, inside covers lightly toned & foxed, minor edgewear, sticker mark inside rear cover. The story of the Malayan emergency campaign from1948 to 1960. Communist insurgent forces commenced a guerrilla war to end British rule in Malaya in June 1948. ISBN: 085045476X. Our Book No: 28889. $18 AUD.
83. Skinner, Jan (1996). Allura's Australia in Cross-Stitch (Reprint ed). Sydney, Lewisham: Off the Shelf Publishing. 192 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, black & white drawings, colour photos (mostly full-page), top corner tips covers & few pages faintly creased, minor edgewear. A collection of the best Australian needlework patterns from Allura Design, including animals, plants, buildings - illustrated by 65 colour photos. ISBN: 0958668221. Our Book No: 28909. $25 AUD.
84. Slayton, Robert A. (2010). Master of the Air: William Tunner and the Success of Military Airlift (1st ed). Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press. 291 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), black & white text-photos & drawings, minor edgewear jacket, top corners few pages little creased. This is the story of General William Henry Tunner. The author gives original insights into this legendary U.S. Air Force leader. During WW2 he served in Burma. He supplied supplied West Berlin with food and supplies to survive the Soviet blockade (1948 - 49) and its hold over two million people. The airlift demonstrated the unexpected capacity of air transport in a postwar world. ISBN: 9780817316921. Our Book No: 28919. $50 AUD.
85. Smith, Lieut-Col. Neil (1999). Nothing Short of War with the Australian Army in Borneo 1962 - 66 (1st stated ed). Victoria: Mostly Unsung Military History Research and Publications. 191 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition,(in good dustjacket), black & white photos, maps, jacket lightly chipped (tiny piece missing base spine, rear cover & edges little rubbed) autograph (author's written & dated dedication title page). About the role of the Australian Army in Borneo in 1962. The Australian troops operated with distinction against Indonesian aggression in Borneo. Their achievements included about 100 successful and highly secret cross-border operations, which continued until a peace agreement was reached in August 1966. The author spent 24 years in the Australian regular Army including a tour of duty in South Vietnam with the 8th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment. The book includes an appendix, which has a nominal roll. ISBN: 1876179074. Our Book No: 28869. $80 AUD.
86. Stewart, Robin; Crichton, Anna (illustrator) (2005). Darwin's Tortoise: The Amazing True Story of Harriet, the World's Oldest Living Creature (1st ed). Melbourne: Black Inc. 150 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, colour drawings (mostly full-page), few black & white & colour photos, map, small mark fore-edge, spine little faded, minor edgewear. This is the true story of Harriet the giant tortoise, believed to be the world's oldest living creature. Charles Darwin discovered Harriet when he visited the Galapagos Islands in 1835. He took her back to England in a box. He studied her appearance and eating habits which helped him to formulate his daring theory of evolution. He soon found that England was too cold for Harriet. Harriet travelled oceans and highways before finding her forever home at Australia Zoo on Queensland's Sunshine Coast. Harriet died in 2006 aged 175. This charming story will appeal to young readers, and anyone who believes that slow and steady wins the race. ISBN: 1863953736. Our Book No: 28900. $18 AUD.
87. Tanner, Jane (2006). Isabella's Secret (Reprint ed). Melbourne: Puffin / Penguin Books. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback small wide quarto, very good condition, full-page colour drawings, spine & few pages little creased, minor edgewear. This beautifully illustrated children's picture story, both written and illustrated by Jane Tanner, will delight adults and children alike. This charming picture book about fairies celebrates every child's need for time alone, time to enjoy nature, and time to dream. ISBN: 9780140555677. Our Book No: 28907. $12 AUD.
88. Thomas, N. W. (1906). Natives of Australia: With Thirty-Two Full-Page Illustrations and One Map (1st ed) [The Native Races of the British Empire]. London: Archibald Constable and Company. 256 + 32 plates pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, good condition, navy boards (gilt lettering front cover & spine), foldout map, black & white plates, frontispiece (tissue guard), page edges untrimmed (roughly cut), spine edges little rubbed, top corners covers little bumped, spine ends little chipped, pages lightly toned (scattered foxing), edges toned & foxed, small tear to map (edge creased), owner's written name front flyleaf. This wonderful old book covers many parts of the history of the Australian Aborigines. The language, art and science, food, law and order, games, society, marriage, myths, magic and religion are some of the topics the author has included. Our Book No: 28877. $150 AUD.
89. Trafford Walker, A. (Arthur) (1943). The Stranger. Sydney: A. Trafford Walker / Moderne Printing. 45 pp. Hardback small, very good condition, red thick board cover (spine faded, small stain front cover), pages faintly toned, minimal foxing endpapers & page margins, minor edgewear. (Estimated date, 1943, Trove catalogue.). A parable on Jesus, by the minister, Hunter-Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church, Annandale. Sticker of the Church Missionary Society Book Room, Bathurst St, Sydney. Our Book No: 16856. $40 AUD.
90. Tsicalas, Peter (2012). Mullumbimby Boom and Bust 1908 - 1928 (Revised or reprint ed). Mullumbimby, NSW: Brunswick Valley Historical Society Inc. 243 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, black & white text-photos, light crease cover near spine, few light creases rear cover, covers little scratched, minor edgewear. Local history of this northern New South Wales municipalty in the early 20th century. There are many heritage photos of local people and buildings of this period. ISBN: 9780958592178. Our Book No: 28881. $80 AUD.
91. Venn, Susan (1992). Roy & Matilda: The Gallery Mice (Reprint ed). Melbourne, Canterbury: Edwina Publishing. Unnum 32 pp. Hardback large quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in fair complete jacket), colour photos (paintings) & drawings, embossed pattern jacket (front & rear covers creased), edgewear. Delightful children's picture story about two mice in an art gallery who become part of the paintings. Designed to increase art appreciation in children, as first developed in Susan's kindergarten. The paintings are from the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV). ISBN: 0646051083. Our Book No: 4114. $20 AUD.
92. Warhurst, Peter; Goebel, Roger (2013). The Bee Book: Beekeeping in Australia (3rd ed). Queensland: Peter Warhurst & Roger Goebel. 295 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, black & white drawings & text-photos, tables, colour photos, minor edgewear, corner tips covers little worn, minor edgewear. Third edition. This comprehensive and practical self-published book has detailed information on honeybees and responsible, successful beekeeping. There is also information on the special requirement of managing hives in Australia, where, in contrast to cooler areas, bees often continue to breed and gather honey throughout the year. This third edition deals with palletisation and the small hive beetle, and there is also an expanded list of agricultural chemicals, and their known toxicities to bees. This very special book has been written and compiled by beekeepers who were apiary officers of the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, Queensland. ISBN: 073450330X. Our Book No: 28897. $50 AUD.
93. Williams, Kim (2014). Rules of Engagement: Foxtel, Football, News and Wine: The Secrets of a Business Builder and Cultural Maestro. Melbourne: Miegunyah / Melbourne University Press (MUP). 324 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), inner hinge little split front & rear (pages firm), minor edgewear, old price marks. From Foxtel to News Corp, film to football, opera to business, Kim Williams is a builder of Australian businesses and media empires. He has worked with the very best in their fields, for example, Rupert Murdoch, Kerry Packer, Kevin Sheedy, Gail Kelly and Don Burrows. A candid, up close and very personal account of the exercise of power in the nation's leading boardrooms, political parties and media organisations. Told with a deft touch and an energetic, at times mischievous spirit, shows how much one person can achieve if they have insatiable curiosity, limitless interests and impressive discipline. ISBN: 9780522866933. Our Book No: 16842. $20 AUD.
94. Williamson, George S. (2004). The Longing for Myth in Germany: Religion and Aesthetic Culture from Romanticism to Nietzsche (1st ed). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 428 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, bottom corner tips covers little scuffed, fore-edge lightly marked, minor edgewear, some annotation. This book is an intellectual history of mythical thought in 19th-century Germany. The author focuses on the tropic of a "new mythology", it looks at the influence of a persistent discourse on myth from the era of early Romanticism to the later thought of Friedrich Nietzsche. ISBN: 0226899462. Our Book No: 28876. $20 AUD.
95. Wood, David R. V. (editor) (1998). St John's Wahroonga: The First 100 Years 1898 - 1998. Sydney, Wahroonga: John's Uniting Church / Printed by Scanagraphics Pty. Ltd. 167 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, few colour plates, faint stain rear flap jacket (light foxing reverse side, minor edgewear). This book gives the Church's history from its earliest days at the turn of the century. The book has over 40 illustrations, some in colour. Anyone interested in the history of Sydney's Upper North Shore, members of the Church, the Wahroonga community, and educationalists will find this book worthwhile. The book has been composed by four main writers. ISBN: 064634463. Our Book No: 28920. $25 AUD.