INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
(Located in Australia):
BOOKS FOR SALE: RECENT ACQUISITIONS MARCH 2019
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. Abercrombie, Barbara; Graham, Mark (illustrator) (1994). Charlie Anderson. London: Puffin Books / Penguin Group (NZ). Unnum 28 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, stapled (rusted), colour drawings, creases & scuffing spine, minor edgewear, label on flyleaf. Delightful children's picture story about a cat called Charlie who has two homes and two families who love him. The full-age illustrations bring the story of this very lucky cat to life. ISBN: 014054464X. Our Book No: 40087. $10 AUD.
2. Advanx; Mercier, Emile (1926). Advanx: Service with a Smile. Sydney: Advanx Australia / Marchant & Co. (Printer). Unnum 28 pp. Paperback oblong octavo, good plus condition, card covers, stapled (rusted), colour cartoons, corners some pages creased, spine rubbed, scuff mark top corner front cover, minor edgewear. A scarce Emile Mercier cartoon booklet that advertises Advanx Australia (headquarters in Sydney), which manufactures retread tyres. Mostly double-page spreads, consisting of a cartoon with caption on one side, and jingle advert on the other side. (Estimated date, 1926. Contains the name "Advanx Australia Organised Tyre Service”, which was trademarked in 1926 by the Advanx Tyre & Rubber Company. Not the 1927 Advanx brochure stating "Invite Us to Your Flat". Advanx was founded in 1921.). Our Book No: 4474. $250 AUD.
3. Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland, Royal National; Watson, H. W. (secretary) (1951). Royal National Show 1951 Daily Ring Programme: Commonwealth Jubilee Souvenir, Bowen Park, Brisbane (1st ed). Brisbane: Royal National Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland. 64 pp. Paperback small quarto, good condition, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), thin card covers, black & white text-photos & drawings & adverts, colour illustration front cover, colour advert rear cover & inside front cover, single-colour adverts inside rear cover, cover & centre page LOOSE, slight loss bottom corner front cover, top corner front cover creased, short tear along spine, spine rubbed, covers lightly creased, pages lightly toned, slight loss top spine on, edgewear. This is the Commonwealth Jubilee Souvenir Ring Programme for the Royal National Show at Bowen Park, Brisbane held on 3-11 August, 1951. This is a daily programme and this one is for Wednesday 8th August. The colour photo on the cover shows two horses with riders. There is a plan of the show grounds, and the events of the day are listed. A great little book with some early history. Our Book No: 40104. $15 AUD.
4. Agus, David B. (2012). The End of Illness. New York: Simon & Schuster. 336 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition. A cancer specialist Introduces a new holistic way of looking at illness and health. The result is both a useful guide on how to stay healthy and a fascinating analysis of the latest in medical science ISBN: 9781849839150. Our Book No: 17640. $15 AUD.
5. Air Force, Royal Australian (1971). Aircraft of the Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF]. Melbourne: Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). Unnum 144 pp. Paperback wide octavo, thick stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), card cover (rear corner creased), good plus condition, black & white photos, base spine bumped, minor edgewear. Recruiting booklet for the RAAF, apparently marking the 50th anniversary of the founding of the RAAF in Australia in 1921. Consists mostly of photos of all current and previous aircraft in use. (Estimated date: 1971, Trove catalogue. No ISBN in book.) SALE PRICE. Our Book No: 12296. $10 AUD.
6. Al Muderis, Munjed; Weaver, Patrick (with) (2014). Walking Free (Reprint ed). Sydney: Allen & Unwin. 325 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white & colour photos, few sepia (brown-tinted) photos, top corner tip front cover creased, pages faintly toned as usual, minor edgewear corners, copy 2. This autobiography is the true story of a young doctor who fled war-torn Iraq, came to Australia as a refugee by boat, spent months in a detention centre, and went on to become a pioneering surgeon at the forefront of medicine. ISBN: 9781760110727. Our Book No: 28277A. $15 AUD.
7. Baum, Caroline (2017). Only: A Singular Memoir (Reprint ed). Sydney: Allen & Unwin. 372 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minimal edgewear. A painfully honest autobiography of the Australian journalist & writers unconventional childhood. The author is an only child and she writes about her life as a child and being the main focal point of two people damaged by trauma and tragedy. ISBN: 9781760293970. Our Book No: 40089. $18 AUD.
8. Bradley, Joan (1971). Bush Regeneration (1st ed). Sydney: Mosman Parklands and Ashton Park Association. 16 pp. Paperback quarto, card covers, stapled, very good condition, typewritten text, stencilled, foldout chart (last page), minor edgewear, small owner’s name front cover corner tip (covered by texta). Describes her successful method of bush regeneration in Sydney nature reserves, based on selective removing of exotic plants and weeds, to allow native plants regenerate there. The notes are typewritten and stencilled. (First edition, undated but 1971.). ISBN: 0959966501. Our Book No: 22822. $30 AUD.
9. Bramston, Troy (editor) (2011). Looking for the Light on the Hill: Modern Labor's Challenges (1st ed). Melbourne: Scribe Publications. 202279 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Written by a party insider and former Rudd Government adviser, this book looks at Labor’s history with fresh perspectives, and includes the secret components of the party's recent internal review. Included are: new interviews with former party leaders, current and former ministers, and union leaders and party figures. This book is relevant to what is happening now. ISBN: 9781921844379. Our Book No: 30174. $20 AUD.
10. Bruce, Mary Grant (1940). Captain Jim (Reprint ed). London & Melbourne: Ward, Lock & Co. 311 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, very good condition, green pictorial cloth cover, black & white plates (including frontispiece), edges lightly foxed, pages faintly toned (endpapers toned), minor edgewear, small shop label (toned mark facing page), owner's written name & details. The sixth book in the Billabong series. It is 1916 in England and the dark days of World War 1 drag on. Jim and Wally return to the front line, when Norah discovers she has been left a legacy - a large house in the Surrey countryside. Norah and her father turn "Homewood" into a house for wounded and exhausted civilians. A telegram arrives with the worst news of all - until a miracle happens. (Estimated date, 1940, Burnet 11.7. Printed by Butler & Tanner. Plates by J. McFarlane. Three plates including frontispiece - though Burnet states four plates. Originally published, 1919.). Our Book No: 17643. $30 AUD.
11. Bryan, Gregory (2012). To Hell and High Water: Walking in the Footsteps of Henry Lawson (1st ed). Sydney, Newport: Big Sky Publishing. 358 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, colour photos, tiny bump top spine, minor edgewear. This book follows the author's quest to conquer the extremes of some of Australia's most remote country, and follow his dream of walking in Henry Lawson's footsteps. He shared the experience with his brother Baz. They walked the 450 kilometres from Bourke to Hungerford and back again. He blends in a biography of Henry Lawson, and includes extracts of Lawson's own writing. This is a story of Australia's past and present, and the life of a literary legend. It is also the story of an ordinary person achieving extraordinary things through unwavering mateship and a dogged determination to never give up. ISBN: 9781921941788. Our Book No: 30180. $30 AUD.
12. Campbell, Eric (2017). Silly Isles: A Riotous Journey through Weird and Wonderful Places. Sydney: Fourth Estate. 312 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, colour photos centre spread, minor edgewear. The Australian journalist has travelled throughout his career to many fascinating islands. He finds microcosms of society, complete with enduring blood feuds, hidden wars and strange histories. The book is wry, witty and clever. ISBN: 9780732285944. Our Book No: 30192. $18 AUD.
13. Chatterjee, Arup K. (2017). The Purveyors of Destiny: A Cultural Biography of the Indian Railways (1st ed). New Delhi: Bloomsbury. 321 pp. Paperback trade (with flaps), very good condition, sepia (brown-tinted) & few colour photos, tiny bump base spine. This book brings together all the elements that go together to make the Indian Railway Systems and the stations so interesting for many people.This is the first time they have appeared in a book replete with anecdotes from colonial and Indian accounts, the nationalist movement, Indian cinema, advertisements, and a lot more - in an ever expanding cultural biography of the Great Indian Railways. The old sepia photos add a charming appeal to the book. ISBN: 9789386950147. Our Book No: 30187. $30 AUD.
14. Clearfield, Chris; Tilcsik, Andras (2018). Meltdown: Why Our Systems Fail and What We Can Do About It. London: Atlantic Books. 294 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, figures, bottom corner last page little creased, minor edgewear. The authors uncover the shared DNA of failures - and reveal how we can help our teams be more productive, improve systems, and transform how we make decisions at work and home. ISBN: 9781786492241. Our Book No: 30196. $30 AUD.
15. Clegg, Brian (2013). Gravity: Why What Goes Up, Must Come Down. London: Duckworth Overlook. 322 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, few diagrams, spine little creased, tiny bump top spine, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This book is a fascinating modern examination of how the mysterious force of gravity works, from the theories of the Greeks to Newton to Einstein. ISBN: 9780715644072. Our Book No: 30193. $20 AUD.
16. Cohen, David (1987). The Development of Play (1st U.S. ed). New York: New York University Press. 184 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), few small edge tears & creases jacket. The popular science writer and editor of Psychology News explains the nature and development of play in children. ISBN: 0814714056. Our Book No: 12338. $12 AUD.
17. Cole, E. W. (editor) (1891). Advice of Ten Doctors (1st Australian ed). Melbourne: E. W. Cole. 248 pp. Paperback small trade, card covers, good condition, new black cloth spine (repair), top corner front cover creased, pages lightly toned, few marks covers & edges, edges lightly foxed & toned, corner tips front cover repaired, little insect damage front cover, minor edgewear. Collection of medical advice from ten doctors, mainly about enema cures and water cures. A preface by E. W. Cole severely criticises the remedies (quackery) of Dr. A. Wilford Hall. (Estimated date, 1891, Trove. Second edition not stated?). Our Book No: 40084. $50 AUD.
18. Collins (1941). Collins' Street Directory: Melbourne and Suburbs 1941 (16th ed). Melbourne: Collins Book Depot. 514 pp. Hardback very small, no jacket as issued, very good condition, colour pictorial cover, red cloth spine (repair, archival tape along hinge), single-colour maps, adverts, foldout colour map MISSING, pages toned, minor edgewear. (Large foldout colour map of Melbourne, in folder inside front cover, MISSING.) Title continues: Containing 100 Authentic and Official Postal District Maps, each divided into sections for quick reference, and embracing the whole of Melbourne and Suburbs, and also Belgrave, Upwey, Tecoma, Noble Park, Springvale, Dandenong, Blackburn, Tunstall, Mitcham, Ringwood, Carrum, Seaford, Frankston, and Mornington - together with duplicate street indices, one (coloured section) arranged wholly alphabetically and showing postal district numbers and map references, and other (white section) collated under district headings. Also: Large coloured key map of Melbourne and suburbs, showing all main roads, railways, tramways, postal districts, and places of interest. Wharves and docks map with steamer berths officially numbered. Bayside resorts map. Our Book No: 17631. $120 AUD.
19. Colvin, Mark (2016). Light and Shadow: Memoirs of a Spy's Son (Reprint ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 304 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, black & white photos centre spread. Mark Colvin is a broadcasting legend. He is the voice of ABC Radio's leading current affairs program PM> He was a founding broadcaster for the groundbreaking youth station Double J. He initiated The World Today program, and he's one of the most popular and influential journalists in the twittersphere. Mark has been covering local and global events for more than four decades. In the midst of all this he discovered that his father was an MI6 spy: the incredible story of a father waging a secret war against communism during the Cold War. But when he contracted a life-threatening illness while working in the field, his life changed forever. ISBN: 9780522870893. Our Book No: 17634. $15 AUD.
20. Dahimene, Adelheid; Stollinger, Heide; Chidey, Catherine (translator); Todd, Penelope (editor) (2005). Donkeys (1st English ed). Wellington, NZ: Gecko Press. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, full-page colour drawings, minor edgewear. This is a children’s story of two donkeys who have loved each other for many years, and then they have a silly argument. They each go away to find someone new, but find the task impossible. The illustrations make this a beautiful book to be enjoyed by older children and adults alike. Winner of the 2003 White Raven award, Bologna International Book Fair. (Originally published 2002 in Austria under the title Esel by Niederosterreichisches Pressehaus.). ISBN: 0958259801. Our Book No: 40088. $20 AUD.
21. de Valera, Danielle (2014). MagnifiCat: An Animal Fantasy (New ed). San Bernardino, CA: Old Tiger Books. 183 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, covers little scratched, bottom corner front cover creased, some edgewear corner tips. This is an animal fantasy. The Katt family: Claude, Mao, Sylvia, Pussywillow and Rupert. They have plenty of love in their little cottage, but are finding it hard to make ends meet. A feel-good trip through the Rainbow Region of Australia, with a fairy tale ending. Cats feature - however, there is a porcupine policeman and a kangaroo in the milk delivery business, and lots of other animals in this fantasy for adults. (Originally published in the Cat Catalogue, 1976, by Workman Publishing.). ISBN: 9780992331108. Our Book No: 30182. $16 AUD.
22. Departments of English, Members of (1940). Some Modern Writers: Two Courses of Sydney University Extension Lectures on Ezra Pound, Charles Morgan, A. E. Houseman, James Joyce, Edith Sitwell, T. S. Eliot. Sydney: Australasian Medical Publishing Company. 119 pp. Paperback small quarto, card covers, good condition, pages lightly toned, top corner tips pages little creased, top corner few pages creased, covers lightly toned & little marked, few small stains spine & front cover, minor foxing edges & the first few pages, little loss top spine, spine lightly worn, minor pencil annotation, owner's written name title page. From Preparatory Note: The lectures on Pound, Morgan, and Houseman, delivered for the Sydney University Extension Board in September, 1938, have not been printed before. The other three appeared together, in 1935, as Some Recent Developments in English Literature, and are here reprinted with the original preface and a few additional notes. Our Book No: 40090. $30 AUD.
23. Dobson, Rosemary; McCooey, David (introduction) (2015). Rosemary Dobson Collected (Reprint ed). Brisbane, St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (UQP). 358 pp. Paperback thick trade, very good condition, corners front cover creased, small section fore-edge rear cover little crushed, minor edgewear. This book celebrates the author's long and distinguished career as a leading Australian poet, bringing together a large volume of her work. ISBN: 9780702239113. Our Book No: 30200. $20 AUD.
24. Du Perron, Edgar; Bulhof, Francis (translator); Daverman, Elizabeth (introduction, notes); Beekman, E. M. (editor) (1999). Country of Origin: A Novel (1st translated ed) [Library of the Indies]. Singapore: Periplus Editions (HK). 438 pp. Paperback thick trade, very good condition, tiny bump top spine, minor edgewear. This largely autobiographical novel opens at the turn of the century with the story of a young Dutchman growing up on the island of Java, and ends against the backdrop of the growth of fascism in Europe (Netherlands) in the 1930s. ISBN: 962593510X. Our Book No: 30177. $25 AUD.
25. Dyer, Colin (2009). The French Explorers and Sydney 1788 - 1831 (1st ed). Brisbane, St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (UQP). 200 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white illustrations, corner tips covers little creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. A very readable account of the early European exploration of Australia. The French explorers and scientists kept journals, many of which, until very recently, remained obscure and untranslated. Their revealing accounts present intimate details of the everyday lives at all levels of society. The journals and records of these French explorers, scientists and anthropologists offer surprising cultural insights and interesting outsiders perspectives on the new colony and its residents. ISBN: 9780702237034. Our Book No: 40082. $30 AUD.
26. Elias, Frank; Whitwell, T. M. R. (illustrator) (1925). The Shadow on the School: A Story of Public School Life. London: Boy's Own Paper Office. 192 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, good condition, pictorial green cloth cover, frontispiece drawing, edges lightly foxed, pages & endpapers lightly toned, edgewear, written & dated dedication (prize presentation). Collectible novel for young adults about boys in a public school. Written dedication: First prize, presented to Ferdinand Pegg, for general proficiency. Petersham Baptist, May 1925, J. Rupp (Ruff?), Supt. Our Book No: 17639. $20 AUD.
27. Ellis, Elizabeth (2011). Rare and Curious: The Secret History of Governor Macquarie's Collector's Chest (Reprint ed). Melbourne / Sydney: Miegunyah / Melbourne University Press (MUP) / State Library of New South Wales (SLNSW). 275 pp. Hardback oblong quarto, pictorial covers, very good condition, colour & black & white & a few sepia (brown-tinted) photos, minimal edgewear. This fascinating book is about the secret histories of the Macquarie and Dixson Galleries collectors chests. The Macquarie collectors' chest is an enigmatic wooden cabinet filled with painted panels and exotic treasures, created in Australia for Governor Lachlan Macquarie around 1818. It was taken to the United Kingdom, and left forgotten and unnoticed in a Scottish castle until it was rediscovered in the late 1970s. The Mitchell Library of New South Wales acquired the chest, and its remarkable similarity to the Dixson Galleries collectors chest, acquired by the Library in 1937, raised questions about the cabinets creators, owners and purpose. The chest is filled with more than 150 stunning photos and paintings. This beautiful book tells the story of these unusual chests. ISBN: 9780522861174. Our Book No: 30184. $50 AUD.
28. Ellis, Ulrich (2007). A Pen in Politics. Canberra, Charnwood: Ginninderra Press. 271 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, tiny bump top spine, minor edgewear. The autobiography of his life in journalism, political activism and public servant (in support of Country Party leaders). They include snippets on the the history of journalism, the early years and growth of Canberra as the national capital, the Country Party, and his role in the New England New State Movement. On a planned trip to Italy in 1971, he became ill with aphasia, which disturbs the language function of the brain. In the Editor's note, the author explains that he started his memoirs in 1973, taking five years, and his wife and a friend assisted with editing. This book will fascinate anyone interested Australian politics. ISBN: 9781740274067. Our Book No: 30178. $30 AUD.
29. Erickson, Rica (2005). A Naturalist's Life. Perth, Crawley: University of Western Australia Press. 144 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, black & white photos & drawings, colour photos,, minor edgewear. In this inspiring book, the Western Australian botanical artist writes about how she became interested in natural history, her guides, mentors and associates, and how she did her research. The book is interspersed with reproductions of some of her writings, drawings and paintings from the 1940s, 50s and 60s. ISBN: 1920694277. Our Book No: 17633. $22 AUD.
30. Family History Society, Nepean (1982). Timespan (1 issue) [No 6]. Sydney, Penrith: Nepean Family History Society. 39 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, stapled pamphlet, pink card covers, text-photos, minor edgewear, . This local history journal for Western Sydney is edited by Jan Thomas. This small booklet is packed with interesting facts and photos about the local people and places. These journals are a wonderful way to learn a little bit about local history. Our Book No: 40078. $15 AUD.
31. Field, Anthony (2012). How I Got My Wiggle Back: The Remarkable Health and Fitness Regimen that Turned My Life Around. Sydney: HarperCollins. 272 pp. Paperback octavo, good condition, black & white text-photos, front cover & corner tips lightly creased, spine & adjacent cover creased, edges lightly marked, light creases front cover, pages lightly toned, barcode sticker inside front cover. This is the story of 'blue wiggle' Anthony Field who is a major part of the children's (and many parents) supergroup 'The Wiggles' in stage performances and TV. For the first time, Anthony tells his inspiring, behind-the-scenes story of how he overcame depression, life-threatening illness and chronic pain to get his life back. ISBN: 9780733329685. Our Book No: 30173. $15 AUD.
32. Fleay, David (1994). We Breed the Platypus (50th anniversary ed). Brisbane: Boolarong Publications. 44 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos, charts, top edge front cover little creased. David Fleay investigates the life of the platypus. A valuable scientific record and a story of considerable human interest, as the only successful and scientifically documented platypus breeding program in captivity. Fleay designed the Australian section of Melbourne Zoo, and also was a builder and director of Healesville Sanctuary. (Originally published, 1944.). ISBN: 0864391714. Our Book No: 20952. $10 AUD.
33. Gillespie, Richard (2003). Manufacturing Knowledge: A History of the Hawthorne Experiments [Studies in Economic History and Policy: USA in the Twentieth Century]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (CUP). 282 pp. Paperback octavo, good plus condition, cancelled EX-LIBRARY (spine labels, rubber stamps, sticker), figures, corner tip front cover creased, base spine bumped, minor edgewear, internally excellent, owner's written name. What motivates workers to work harder? How can management create a contented and productive workforce? Discussion of these questions is incomplete without referring to the Hawthorne experiments (at Bell’s Hawthorne Works, USA, 1924 to 1933), one of the most famous research projects in the social and behavioural sciences. Drawing on the original records of the experiments and the personal papers of the researchers, reconstructs the intellectual and political dynamics of the experiments as they evolved from the tentative experimentation to apparent authoritative publications. Raises fundamental questions about the nature of scientific knowledge, and about the assumptions and evidence that underlies debate on worker productivity. Or did the constant presence of the experimenters accidentally create their own effect (the so-called "Hawthorne effect"). ISBN: 0521456436. Our Book No: 17632. $20 AUD.
34. Greene, Gracie; Tramacchi, Joe; Gill, Lucille (1999). Tjarany Tjaranykura Tjukurrpa Ngaanpa Kalkinpa Wangka Tjukurrtjanu: Roughtail the Dreaming of the Roughtail Lizard and Other Stories Told by the Kukatja (Reprint ed). Broome, WA: Magabala Books. 53 pp. Paperback square quarto, red & black drawings, colour illustrations, tiny closed tears spine ends, minor edgewear corners, sticker mark rear cover. This is a very special book with the stories from the Kukatja (Gugadja) people, who have given permission for Gracie, Lucy and Joe to tell their stories, which are written in English and Kukatja. The stories were told to Gracie in Kukatja and English, while she was visiting Lucy and Joe at Noonkanbah, about halfway between Wirrumanu (Balgo) and Broome,at Christmas 1987. This children’s picture book for older children is also suitable as an art book for adults. The main story is called: The Roughtail Lizard Dreaming. The other stories are: The Crow and the Eagle, The Emu and the Turkey, The Black Goanna, The Witchetty Grub Man Dreaming, Kalpartu the Dreamtime Snake, How the Emu got Short Wings, and The Seven Sisters. Chosen for the Children's Book Council of Australia Eve Pownall Award for Information Books. ISBN: 1875641300. Our Book No: 40069. $20 AUD.
35. Guyer, Barbara P. (1997). The Pretenders: Gifted People who Have Difficulty Learning. Homewood, IL: High Tide Press. 197 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear. Eight case studies of gifted people who suffer from learning disabilities. What would you do if, no matter how hard you tried, you could not learn to read? Would you continue to try, or would you resign yourself to pretending, for the benefit of others, that you could read. ISBN: 1892696061. Our Book No: 10945. $10 AUD.
36. Hall, Stephen S. (2010). Wisdom: From Philosophy to Neuroscience. Brisbane, St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (UQP). 333 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, corner tips front cover little creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. In this journey from philosophy to science, the author traces the path of wisdom, from its sudden emergence in the fifth century B.C. to its modern manifestation in education, politics, and the workplace. He explores the neural mechanisms for wise decision making; the conflict between the emotional and cognitive parts of the brain; how compassion, humility, and empathy develops, the effect of adversity and the impact of early-life stress on the development of wisdom; and how our future choices and future selves can be improved. Despite modern science's most powerful efforts, wisdom still remains hard to understand. ISBN: 9780702238673. Our Book No: 30179. $28 AUD.
37. Hennessy, B. G.; Wheeler, Jody (illustrator) (2006). Corduroy Lost and Found. New York: Penguin Group. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback small square quarto, no dustjacket, pictorial cover, very good plus condition, colour drawings (mostly full-page), top of spine little rubbed. Children's picture story based on the character created by Don Freeman. Corduroy the teddy bear sets out one night to find a birthday present for his owner, Lisa, but soon realizes that he can not find his way home. ISBN: 067006100X. Our Book No: 40092. $13 AUD.
38. Historical Society, Nepean District (1965). Nepean District Historical Society (8 reports). Sydney, Penrith: Nepean District Historical Society. Each: 6 to 12 pp. Each issue: Paperback quarto, card covers, maps, hand-written details on front cover (author, title, year, issue), pages stencilled & lightly toned, staples covered with silver grey tape along spine, minor edgewear, minor insect damage cover (1 report), tape along spine little loose (some reports), staples rusted, label with a name & number inside cover (1 report). Eight issues of this scarce journal about the Nepean District of Sydney, New South Wales, as follows. Some Bridges around Penrith (1965/3), compiled by H. Palmer. Early Richmond, compiled by F. & H. Palmer (1966/2). A Chapter of Accidents and Other Notes (1966/3). West from Richmond compiled by F. & H. Palmer (1966/4). Maryland, Bringelly, compiled by Freda Palmer, (1966/5). Emu Hall, compiled by Freda Palmer (1967/1). Pitt Town, compiled by Freda Palmer. Springwood - Its Beginnings, compiled by Freda Palmer. The first six have two adverts on the back cover. These journals are a wonderful way to learn a little bit about local history. Our Book No: 40077. $80 AUD.
39. Holmes, Melissa (2010). Reynolds' Cottages: Living History (Reprint ed). Sydney, Woollahra: Green Olive Press. 85 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos, plans, minor edgewear corners. The Reynolds' Cottages are outstanding examples of living history. Built in 1829 by convicts as working class dwellings, they are the earliest remaining dwellings in Sydney’s historic precinct of The Rocks. The author's mother owned a restaurant there for 27 years, and she wanted to promote the history of these important cottages. This book will be of interest to anyone with an interest in Australia's early history. ISBN: 9780980701524. Our Book No: 40068. $18 AUD.
40. Hornung, Eva (2017). The Last Garden. Melbourne: Text Publishing. 235 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, light bump base spine, bottom corner front cover creased, minor edgewear. This is a compelling story of loss and rediscovery rendered in great, lucid prose. The story is about a boy named Benedict Orion who returns home from boarding school to find both parents dead. He moves into the barn with the horses, and they help him keep his shattered self together. ISBN: 9781925498127. Our Book No: 30186. $15 AUD.
41. Hoyningen-Huene, Paul; Levine, Alexander T. (translator) (1993). Reconstructing Scientific Revolutions: Thomas S. Kuhn's Philosophy of Science. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 310 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, corner front cover creased, cover little marked & rubbed, minor edgewear. The first comprehensive study of the influential theories of the philosopher Thomas S. Kuhn, particularly his book "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions", in which he proposed his paradigm theory. The discussion is anchored by the historiographic foundations of Kuhn's philosophy. (Translated from the German.). ISBN: 0226355519. Our Book No: 12336. $15 AUD.
42. Hyeon-suk, Park; Jong-kuk, Lee (food styling); Jong-keun, Lee (photos) (2016). Hansik Korean Cuisine (1st ed). South Korea: Korea Tourism Organization. 63 pp. Paperback small quarto, colour text-photos, few black & white drawings at rear, bottom corner tip rear cover creased, minor edgewear. Introduces the foundation and uniqueness of traditional Korean cuisine via popular and representative dishes, including fermented foods such as kimchi and traditional condiments. Also has various food storing containers. There is information on Korean food experience centers, food festivals, street foods, and various culinary cultures such as company gatherings and late night snacking. Our Book No: 40086. $30 AUD.
43. Jenner, Margaret (1987). Yungaba 1887 - 1987: A Century of Service to Migrants. Brisbane: Boolarong Publications / Department of Family and Youth Services - Ethnic Affairs. 44 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, stapled pamphlet, black & white text-photos, spine little faded, minor edgewear, owner's written name inside front cover. Brief study of Yungaba's history. During its 100 years, this Brisbane building known until 1947 simply as the Immigration Depot has seen far-reaching social and economic changes. Because of the loss or destruction of files that significant events have gone unrecorded, which made the gathering of information about Yungaba’s history difficult. ISBN: 0724215239. Our Book No: 40074. $20 AUD.
44. Jolliffe, Jill (2014). Run For Your Life: A Memoir. Melbourne: Affirm Press. 321 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white & sepia (brown tinted) & colour photos, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. The author was unwillingly given up by her birth mother, and adopted into a violent household. Following her instincts, she became a foreign correspondent - risking her life to report on Indonesia's occupation of East Timor. In the course of writing this book, an unexpected meeting with her birth mother takes her life full circle. ISBN: 9781922213273. Our Book No: 30194. $25 AUD.
45. Keneally, Tom (1995). A River Town. Melbourne: William Heinemann Australia. 330 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, rear cover little creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. In 1900 the beginning of a new century excites even the isolated riverside town of Kempsey in New South Wales, accessible from Sydney only by a long steamer trip. Tim Shea, the young Irish immigrant is still pursued by the politics of a wider world. This is the tale of a reluctant hero, an endearing, if flawed, man whose stubborn integrity is nearly his undoing. The author's vibrant portrait of the river town of Kempsey manifests the inescapability of human malice in a place of natural splendour. (Historical Australian fiction, by Irish-Australian author.). ISBN: 0855616466. Our Book No: 30195. $18 AUD.
46. Kennedy, Lisa (2001). Nick's Amazing Journey (1st ed). Melbourne: Koorie Heritage Trust Inc. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback square quarto, very good plus condition, stapled, full-page colour illustrations, minimal edgewear. Australian children's picture book about an Indigenous boy named Nicholas who has some very exciting adventures following the Dreaming paths. The author is descended from the Trawlwoolway people of northeast Tasmania and born in Victoria. Lisa has written this fascinating story for her son Nicholas. The bright colourful art work will appeal to any age. ISBN: 0957865104. Our Book No: 40067. $25 AUD.
47. Kwaymullina, Ambelin; Tobin, Leanne (illustrator) (2014). The Lost Girl (1st ed). Sydney: Walker Books Australia. Unnum 26 pp. Hardcover oblong small quarto, very good plus condition, pictorial cover, colour illustrations (mostly full-page). Children's picture story about an indigenous girl wandering away from her family and not being able to find her way home. Who will help her to find her way - the animals she meets? Suggested reading age primary school age. The beautiful life-like illustrations help to tell this fascinating story. ISBN: 9781921529634. Our Book No: 40064. $18 AUD.
48. Laing, Jennifer (1996). The Complete Book of Teddy Bear Artists in Australia and New Zealand: A Who's Who of Bear Artists in the Antipodes. Burra Creek, NSW: Sally Milner. 81 pp. Hardback large quarto, no jacket as issued, very good condition, pictorial cover, colour text-photos, few tiny bumps edges, minor edgewear. This beautiful book profiles more than 70 artists and includes over 200 superb colour photographs of their work. This is a very useful and informative resource for bear lovers and collectors everywhere. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 186351189X. Our Book No: 20831. $12 AUD.
49. Lennon, Charlie (1993). Musical Melodies: Traditional Irish Music: Volume 1. Dublin: WorldMusic Publications. 88 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good plus condition, glossy paper, black & white text-photos & drawings, map, minimal creasing corners, autograph (owner's written dedication). A collection of his 30 favourite compositions, complete with piano accompaniment and the story behind each tune. Some examples: The Road to Cashel - Kilty Town - The Flying Wheelchair - The Emigrant Suite (four tunes). ISBN: 0952120003. Our Book No: 17625. $60 AUD.
50. Lines, Orient (1953). Menu: Orient Lines: S.S. Orontes (1 card) (1st ed). City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated. 2 pp. Ephemera small trade, folded card, good condition, light toning & foxing front & back cover, light foxing along fold line, few creases pages & along fold line. Menu for S.S. Orontes. Dinner menu card for Monday 11th May, 1953. This card has a point of interest stating that S.S. Orontes is due in Backstairs Passage about 10.00 p.m [a strait lying between Kangaroo Island and the South Australian mainland]. Our Book No: 40102. $10 AUD.
51. Malless, Stanley; McQuain, Jeffrey (2003). Coined by God: Words and Phrases that First Appear in the English Translations of the Bible (1st stated ed). New York: W. W. Norton. 221 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket (little rubbed). This book has 130 entries, with meanings and sources, of words and phrases first published in English translations of the Bible. The authors cite chapter and verse and trace these biblical words right up to today's headlines. Arranged from A to Z, and reader-friendly regardless of faith, the book offers entries about Biblical words and phrases that have moved into the culture at large. ISBN: 0393020452. Our Book No: 30197. $20 AUD.
52. Maltby, Peg (1945). Pepita's Party (1st & only ed). Melbourne: Murphett Pty Ltd. 32 pp. Hardback wide octavo, no jacket as issued, fair condition only, pictorial board cover (little marked, tiny dent), stapled (covered by black cloth strip as issued), full-page colour drawings, small sepia (brown-tinted) drawings, one page torn (non-archival tape repair not rusted), cover corners bumped (exposing boards), tide marks (previous water contact now dry) bottom corner pages, rubbed patch front cover, edgewear. (Estimated date, 1945, Trove catalogue.) A collectible Australian children's picture story about the adventures of two mice. Our Book No: 17628. $20 AUD.
53. Manos, Helen; Vivas, Julie (2007). Samsara Dog (1st U.S. ed). La Jolla, CA: Kane / Miller Book Publishers. Unnum 32 pp. Hardback large quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), pictorial cover, colour drawings (some full-page), tiny scuff top spine jacket (small closed tear, minor edgewear). A children's picture story by Australian writer about a dog who lived many lives. Some of his lives were long. Some lasted only a few days. Dog never remembered them. He lived each life as it came, until he learned the most important lesson of all. Based on the Buddhist concepts of Samsara and Nirvana, this moving story about love and life, death and dying will touch every reader. Suitable for older readers or families with an interest in Eastern religions. ISBN: 9781933605517. Our Book No: 40066. $30 AUD.
54. Marcus, James (2004). Amazonia (Five Years at the Epicenter of the Dot.Com Juggernaut). New York: The New Press. 263 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), paper-covered board covers (cloth spine), minimal edgewear. A tale of internet euphoria, by Employee #55. He was a senior editor at Amazon.com from 1996 to 2001, and hired to craft the 45-word authoritative review of a book or other product for sale. Explains how the geeky low-key internet startup became a billion-dollar sensation by employing innovative non-conformists ISBN: 1565848705. Our Book No: 17642. $12 AUD.
55. Marsh, Henry (2014). Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery (1st ed). London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. 278 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good plus dustjacket), pages faintly toned. The author is a Consultant Neurosurgeon at Atkinson Morley's / St Georges Hospital in London. In this fascinating book he gives a brutally honest account of his joy of operating, the moving triumphs, the harrowing disasters, his regrets, and the moments of black humour that make up a brain surgeon's life. This book is an unforgettable look at the countless human dramas that take place in a busy modern hospital. It is an important lesson in the need for hope when faced with life's most difficult decisions. ISBN: 9780297869870. Our Book No: 30201. $30 AUD.
56. Martin, Megan (1994). Slazenzers Shipyard on the Parramatta River at Putney [Local Studies Leaflet Series]. Sydney, Ryde: Ryde City Council. 4 pp. Folded trade leaflet, very good condition, two black & white photos, lightly toned. This leaflet has been written by Ryde City Council Local Studies Librarian, based on resources held in their local studies collection. There is a lot of interesting information packed into this leaflet which would be of interest to anyone wanting to learn about early local maritime history. Our Book No: 40100. $10 AUD.
57. McIntosh, Fiona (2015). The Perfumer's Secret (1st ed). Melbourne: Penguin Group. 384 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear corners. First edition. This historical novel of passion and determination, by Australian writer, begins on the eve of the First World War. Fleurette is the only daughter of the wealthy Delacroix perfume dynasty, and she is being forced to marry a man she loathes. This is a very passionate and dramatic story of duty, deception and desire. ISBN: 9780143799764. Our Book No: 29221. $20 AUD.
58. Mead, Rebecca (2014). The Road to Middlemarch (1st this ed). Melbourne: Text Publishing. 293 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, pages lightly toned, cover corner tips little creased, minor edgewear. The author read Middlemarch for the first time at the age of 17, and she has read it again every five years since, interpreting and discovering it anew each time. She writes passionately about her relationship with this remarkable Victorian novel, and explores how its characters and their stories, along with George Eliot's own life experiences, make it so special. This book is a sensitive work of deep reading and biography. ISBN: 9781922079329. Our Book No: 30198. $18 AUD.
59. Milne, A. A.; Shepard, E. H. (illustrator) (2007). The World of Pooh Collection (4 books in slipcase). London: Egmont UK Limited. 186 + 210 + 123 + 124 pp. Each book: Paperback small, very good plus condition, black & white drawings. In pictorial slipcase. The four volumes are: 1. Winnie the Pooh in which Winnie and his friends hunt Woozles and catch a Heffalump, go to the North Pole, and save Piglet from the flood. 2. The House at Pooh Corner in which Pooh and his friends build a house for Eeyore and find a Wolery for Owl, play Poohsticks and try to unbounce Tigger. 3. When We Were Very Young is the author's first book of verses for children, inspired by the nursery games played with his son, Christopher Robin. First published in 1924, and based on the toys in Christopher Robin's nursery. 4. Now We Are Six is the author’s second book of verses about Christopher Robin, Winnie-the-Pooh, who does not want to be forgotten. First published in 1927, they are reproduced here, all with E. H. Shepard's classic line drawings. ISBN: 9781405231008. Our Book No: 40076. $40 AUD.
60. Molkentin, Michael (2010). Fire in the Sky: The Australian Flying Corps in the First World War (Reprint ed). Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. 404 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, black & white photos & text-photos, minimal edgewear. He consulted private letters, diaries and official records, to reveal for the first time in over 90 years, the story of the airmen and mechanics of the Australian Flying Corps who fought in World War 1 (WW1). ISBN: 9781742370729. Our Book No: 27888. $20 AUD.
61. Moore; Wright (1946). Moore and Wright (Sheffield) Ltd: Catalogue, no. 45. Sheffield, UK: Moore & Wright. 151 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, stapled, thin dark red card covers, numerous black & white drawings, black & white photo first page, staples rusted, spine faded (covers lightly faded), minor foxing some pages, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear, sticker mark front cover. This catalogue contains the tools manufactured by Moore & Wright in Sheffield, England. The founder Frank Moore was born in 1875 and died in 1941. The catalogue contains the most complete range of engineers' hand tools ever issued by a British manufacturer. A great book to add to a technology book collection. Our Book No: 40101. $35 AUD.
62. Moore, Kevin (editor) (1980). Blacktown and District Historical Society Quarterly Journal (1 issue) [Vol 1, no 11]. Sydney, Blacktown: Blacktown and District Historical Society. 20 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, stapled, thin card covers, staples little rusted, pages lightly toned, tiny pinholes spine (old staples), top edge front cover lightly creased, minor edgewear. This quarterly journal is full of interesting historical facts about early people and buildings around Blacktown, Western Sydney. Includes the Riddle of Rooty Hill and how and when it gots its name. Our Book No: 40079. $15 AUD.
63. More, St Thomas; Wegemer, Gerard (editor/introduction); Miller, Clarence (translator) (2007). The Sadness of Christ and Final Prayers and Benedictions (Reprint ed). New York: Scepter Publishers. 162 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, top corner front cover creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear corners. This is the author’s last work, written in the Tower of London while he waited to be executed. He turns to Christ as a model of virtue in the face of suffering and persecution. In summary: the story of that time when the Apostles were sleeping as the Son of Man was being betrayed (from the introduction by More scholar Gerard Wegemer). ISBN: 9780933932661. Our Book No: 40081. $20 AUD.
64. Morrissey, Di (2015). Rain Music (1st ed). Sydney: Pan Macmillan. 374 pp. Hardcover octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This Australian novel is inspired by her adventures in Far North Queensland - its characters, its forgotten history, its modern dilemmas. The story is centered around brother and sister Ned and Bella Chisholm who are struggling to come to terms with a family tragedy that has set them on different paths. Ned disappears, and Bella goes in search of him, to Cooktown, the isolated, little-known gem of the far north of Australia - it is here that their lives will change dramatically forever. The black & white photos at the start of each chapter are unique. ISBN: 9781743533307. Our Book No: 40098. $20 AUD.
65. Muller, Theodor; Garland, Maurie (editor); Ramsland, John (editor); Pammer, Frank (translator) (2007). The Swiss Swagman: Theodor Muller's Nineteen Years In Australia. Melbourne: Brolga Publishing. 330 pp. Paperback trade, black & white photos & drawings, minor edgewear. This book is about Theodor Muller who came from Switzerland in 1857, and roamed Australia. He spent time in the sparsely settled regions of Australia, travelling as far north as Brisbane, west to Mudgee, south to Gundagai. He returned home eventually to write his memoirs - Neunzehn Jahre in Australien. This current edition has been translated into English and expanded with maps, illustrations and historical insights. A great read for anyone who loves Australia or anyone wanting to learn about backpacking in the 1850s. ISBN: 9781921221026. Our Book No: 40083. $30 AUD.
66. Normile, Jo Anne; Lindner, Lawrence; Richards, Susan (introduction) (2015). Saving Baby: How One Woman's Love for a Racehorse Led to Her Redemption (1st Australian ed). Sydney: Pan Macmillan. 313 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, crease top corner few pages (possible former bookmark clip), minor edgewear. A beautiful story about a special relationship between the author and the horses that she has worked with, in particular a horse named Baby. After an accident on a poorly maintained track, she went on to found the most successful horse rescue in the United States. ISBN: 9781743535479. Our Book No: 30199. $15 AUD.
67. Nucolorvue (1965). Postcard: Port Fairy, Victoria's Complete Holiday Resort. Melbourne, Moorabbin: Nucolorvue Productions Pty. Ltd. N/A pp. Postcard oblong, very good condition, tucked-in flap, colour photos, tiny tear edge flap, minor edgewear, postage stamp (little torn), owner's written name & address, annotation (sender’s note & drawing one card). Novelty set of 12 full-colour postcards joined to form a fold-out concertina. The postage stamp is 5d with the Queens head on it (that is, card is before 1966). Our Book No: 40094. $20 AUD.
68. O'Toole, Fintan (editor) (2012). Up the Republic! Towards a New Ireland (1st ed). London: Faber & Faber. 227 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, few tables, corner tips covers little creased, tiny bump base spine, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. In this provocative book, some of Ireland's leading scholars, writers and journalists - Fintan O'Toole, Elaine Byrne, Dearbhail McDonald, Fred Powell, Theo Dorgan, Tom Hickey, Iseult Honohan and Philip Pettit, suggest answers to the questions about Ireland being a republic or not. They suggest that the idea of a republic can be taken back from those who have abused it - and that it can give hope to a society struggling to move on from cynicism and anger. ISBN: 9780571289004. Our Book No: 30185. $18 AUD.
69. Palmer, Lucy (2016). A Bird on My Shoulder: A Memoir. Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. 327 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, bottom corner tip front cover creased, minor edgewear. This inspiring memoir tells the story of how the author and her husband Julian fell in love, and with Papua New Guinea, and traces their family's return to Australia to face the daunting task of Julian's journey with cancer. The author looks back with both sadness and joy. Julian died over a decade ago, leaving her alone to raise three young children on a farm south of Sydney. ISBN: 9781743311530. Our Book No: 30191. $20 AUD.
70. Pearse, Guy (2007). High and Dry: John Howard, Climate Change and the Selling of Australia's Future. Melbourne: Viking / Penguin Books. 480 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, minimal edgewear. A damning insider's account by a Liberal party member and lobbyist. The author explains how government policy under John Howard's Liberal Coalition government was to increase carbon emissions rather than reduce them. it is a devastating indictment of how the Greenhouse Mafia (coal industry and other resources representatives and supporters) dominated the Howard government decision-making. ISBN: 9780670070633. Our Book No: 12600. $20 AUD.
71. Pfeiffer, Mary Beth (2018). Lyme: The First Epidemic of Climate Change (1st ed). Washington, DC: Island Press. 288 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket, light mark flyleaf, cover corners lightly bumped. This book is about a disease called Lyme which is spread by ticks. The author traces how people have contributed to this growing disease, and how modern medicine has underestimated its danger. This book is a well researched account of an enigmatic disease, making a powerful case for action to fight ticks, heal patients, and understand humanity's role in this modern scourge. ISBN: 9781610918442. Our Book No: 30175. $30 AUD.
72. Printing, Offset (1943). Mr Bug Goes to Town [OPC series A147]. Sydney, Waterloo: Offset Printing Coy. 24 pp. Paperback quarto, good condition, card covers, colour drawings covers, black & white drawings, scuffs spine ends, staples rusted, faint marks bottom edge some pages, covers little marked, tiny hole front cover & title page, edgewear, written & dated dedication inside front cover. This book is a fully illustrated story for children based on the Paramount Picture Mr Bug Goes To Town. The characters are: Hoppity the Grasshopper, Honey Bee his sweetheart, Mr Bumble - Honey’s father, C. Bagley Beetle - the villain who wants Honey to marry him, Swat the Fly, Smack the Mosquito, Busy Bee -the bee scout, and Mr Jeepers Creepers - the pessimistic snail. (Estimated date, 1943, date of written dedication.) Our Book No: 40091. $15 AUD.
73. Pullen, H. W. (anon); Scott, Walter (English publisher); Cole, E. W. (Australian publisher) (1895). The World of Cant (1st Australian ed). Melbourne: E. W. Cole. 403 + 14 pp. Paperback small, card covers, good condition, corners front & rear covers creased, pages lightly toned, few marks edges, edges lightly foxed & toned, minor edgewear, corner tips front cover repaired, new black cloth spine edges with original spine repaired, few marks covers, some pages foxed at rear. From the Prologue: The writer's aim has been to deal with systems, and not with individuals; with a whole genus, and not with isolated members of a particular fraternity. A "Scotsman" review on the front cover states that this book is a clever, vigorous and almost ferocious exposure, in the form of a story, of the numerous shams and injustices in society. ("Cant" refers to insincere, sham or self-serving statements, that today might be called political correctness, virtue-signalling, etc. Cover has E. W. Cole as publisher. Title page has Walter Scott as publisher.). Our Book No: 40085. $50 AUD.
74. Purcell, Leigh (1982). Photos: 50th Anniversary: Sydney Harbour Bridge 1932 - 1982. Sydney: Daily Mirror. N/A pp. Photos in souvenir envelope, very good condition. Contents: four black & white photos. Envelope: cardboard, oblong small quarto format, flaps at back, sticker seal torn (rear flap scuffed from part sticker removal), minor edgewear. (Limited edition: no 977 of 1000 copies.) Souvenir envelope (designed by Purcell) containing photographs, published by the Sydney tabloid newspaper, the Daily Mirror, to mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Our Book No: 12299. $10 AUD.
75. Qantas (1970). The Spirit of Australia: Qantas Airways. Not Stated: Qantas Airways. Unnum 24 pp. Paperback trade, stapled pamphlet, very good plus condition, sepia (brown-coloured sketches), colour photos, minimal edgewear. (Estimated date, 1970.) An easy to read pamphlet about the Australian airline, the oldest in the English-speaking world. SALE PRICE. Our Book No: 20881. $10 AUD.
76. Ralston, Basil (2010). The Men of Jenolan Caves (1838 - 1964) (3rd revised ed) [Sydney Speleological Society Occasional Paper]. Sydney, Broadway: Sydney Speleological Society Inc. 82 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, black & white & colour photos, few sepia (brown-tinted) photos, map inside front cover, plan inside back cover, bottom corner tips few pages little creased, minor edgewear. This book is the story of the men who explored, guided, and helped with the development of the magnificent caves at Jenolan, west of Sydney. There are many old and new photos, and rare and interesting postcards, and first pages of Jenolan-related pamphlets and books have been reprinted. There are more than 160 illustrations. The author was a guide at the caves from 1964 to 1965. (No 14 in this series. Originally published as "Jenolan: The Golden Ages of Caving", 1990.). Our Book No: 40075. $30 AUD.
77. Rapaport, Herman (2011). The Literary Theory Toolkit: A Compendium of Concepts and Methods. West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell. 295 pp. Paperback octavo, good condition, figures, top corner rear cover creased, corner tips covers little creased, top spine bumped, small mark bottom corner last page & fore-edge, minor edgewear. This book is a compendium of key terms, concepts, and arguments necessary for the study of literature in a critical-theoretical context. A lucid overview of the field of literary study, and provides the intellectual tools necessary to construct an effective foundation for literary analysis and a richer appreciation of world literature. The topics that are looked at are narrative, poetic, and performance analysis, the study of textual systems, and key aspects of social theory relevant to literary study. There are examples from literary texts covering all periods and genres. ISBN: 9781405170475. Our Book No: 40073. $20 AUD.
78. Rogak, Lisa (2012). Dogs of Courage: The Heroism and Heart of Working Dogs from Around the World. Sydney: Pan Macmillan Australia. 273 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, few black & white text-photos, corner tips covers little creased, tiny mark fore-edge last few pages, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Scarce Australian edition. A celebration of the amazing canines who perform feats of bravery every day. These very special dogs work in police work, therapy, service, and more. They help humans in countless ways. The author covers the many ways dogs help on a daily basis, and the surprising stories of regular dogs who have gone above and beyond to help their owners and even each other. The book honours their sacrifices and rewards their years of service. ISBN: 9781742612553. Our Book No: 40097. $20 AUD.
79. Sandercock, Daphne (1979). Help Yourself to Sight-reading: A Practical Tutor for Pianists [Oxford Instrumental Tutors]. London: Oxford University Press (OUP). 48 pp. Paperback folio, very good plus condition, stapled, minimal edgewear. Sheet music for 28 exercises for piano, each accompanied by an explanation about the purpose of the exercise. ISBN: 0193223538. Our Book No: 17626. $60 AUD.
80. Saunders, Malcolm; Summy, Ralph (1986). The Australian Peace Movement: A Short History. Canberra: Australian National University Press (ANU Press). 78 pp. Paperback thin trade, very good plus condition, black & white photos (mostly full-page), cartoon, light foxing top edge, minor edgewear. The first general history of the Australian peace movement. The main story begins in 1885 when the decision of the colonial government of New South Wales to send troops to the Sudan generated opposition. This historical chronicle tries to trace and explain the periodic waxing and waning of the peace movement. ISBN: 0867847972. Our Book No: 40080. $30 AUD.
81. Savkay, Tugrul (2002). Turkish Cuisine. Istanbul: Revak / Rehber Basim Yayin Dagitim. 192 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, full-page colour photos, rear cover little scratched, minor edgewear corners, little annotation front endpaper. An excellent guide to Turkish cuisine, approved and recommended by "Foundation of Tour Guides of Turkey”. Revak is a publisher of travel guides. ISBN: 9758212761. Our Book No: 15596. $12 AUD.
82. Schachtel, Andrew; Lim, Choon-Hwa; Wilson, Michael K; Lim, T S (illustrator) (2016). Changing Lanes, Crossing Cultures: Equipping Christians and Churches For Ministry in a Culturally Diverse Society. Sydney: Great Western Press. 194 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, black & white drawings, modules, figures, minimal edgewear. This book is a practical guide to cross-cultural ministry, aimed at helping Christians as they undertake the crucial, challenging but rewarding process of interacting across cultures. The book includes an examination of the Biblical motivation for cross-cultural ministry, steps to overcome obstacles, practical information on how to get involved and many helpful anecdotes and case studies. The cartoons add a unique touch to this helpful book. ISBN: 9780869010808. Our Book No: 30183. $25 AUD.
83. Schmidt, Ulf (2006). Justice at Nuremberg: Leo Alexander and the Nazi Doctors' Trial. Basingstoke, Hamps: Palgrave Macmillan. 386 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos, minor foxing edges, minor edgewear. Traces the history of how medicine became the subject of greater ethical accountability and scrutiny through the medium of the biography of Dr Leo Alexander (a medical consultant to the Nazi Doctors Trail at Nuremberg). It explores the social and political forces that called for the protection of subject-citizens in experimental research, as specified in the Nuremberg Code. The Code reminds us that the only protection of human beings, their lives, dignity and human rights, really matters. ISBN: 0230006418. Our Book No: 30181. $30 AUD.
84. Smarsh, Sarah (2018). Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth. Melbourne, Brunswick: Scribe Publications. 290 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, tiny bump top spine, top corners few pages creased (bookmarks), minor edgewear corner tips. This biography is her topical and moving memoir of one woman's experience of working-class poverty in America. The book combines memoir with powerful analysis and cultural commentary, and looks at class, identity, and the problems of having less in a country known for its excess. ISBN: 9781925713633. Our Book No: 30176. $26 AUD.
85. Smith, Eleanor (1981). The Beckoning West: The Story of H. S. Trotman and the Canning Stock Route (Reprint ed). Perth: St George Books. 220 pp. Hardcover octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket (faint toning reverse side, spine ends & corner tips little rubbed & chipped), pages faintly toned, inside edges covers little rubbed & flecked, written dedication flyleaf. This is the story of the surveyor, H. S. Trotman. The story is the result of a collaboration between the author, and Mr Trotman. He joined The Lands and Surveys Department of Western Australia in 1894. He was a member of five major expeditions into the interior, including the search for lost members of the Calvert Expedition, the survey for the Rabbit-proof Fence, and Alfred Canning's arduous journeys to establish a stock route, and a system of wells, for stock to travel 870 miles over the desert from Hall's Creek to Wiluna. Printed dedication: "To Slim Dusty, To commemorate your visit to the Telfer Project, August 30, 1981, from the residents of Telfer". ISBN: 0909699216. Our Book No: 40070. $40 AUD.
86. Squibbs, Amy E. A.; Le Fleming Burrow, J. (foreword) (1946). Aids to Materia Medica for Nurses (Reprint ed) [Nurses Aids Series]. London: Bailliere Tindall & Cox. 196 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, good condition, red cloth cover, tables, few black & white drawings, endpapers lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, two faded spots rear cover, spine ends little rubbed, spine little faded, bookseller’s label front pastedown, owner's written name. A complete textbook for nurses. These small books are designed to be easy to carry around so the nurse has an easy-to-read book at hand when needed. This edition has been thoroughly revised, the chapters on Specific Drugs and Vitamins virtually rewritten, and a table of Doses and Drugs in common use added. A wonderful little book for the collector of old medical books. Our Book No: 40071. $18 AUD.
87. Stern, Robert; Hegel, G. W. F. (subject) (2002). Hegel and the Phenomenology of Spirit [Routledge Philosophy Guidebooks]. London: Routledge. 234 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, spine creased, minor edgewear. "Phenomenology of Spirit" is Hegel's most influential and famous work. It is essential to understanding Hegel's philosophical system and why he is still a major figure in Western philosophy. This book introduces and assesses Hegel's life and background to the book, the goals and text, and the continuing importance of Hegel's work for philosophy. ISBN: 0415217881. Our Book No: 30188. $20 AUD.
88. Stone, Louis; McCuaig, Ronald (introduction) (1965). Jonah (3rd Australian ed). Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 216 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), top edge toned, pages & jacket edges faintly toned as usual, small edge tears jacket (flap not clipped, rear flap little creased, minor edgewear). Novel about the larrikin gangs of the early 1900s in inner Sydney (Redfern, Waterloo). Jonah is the tough larrikin who rises to success in big business. A pioneering Australian novel that was first to the larrikin a popular topic of discussion. (Originally published, 1911.). Our Book No: 1763738800. $18 AUD.
89. Stork, Jane (2009). Breaking the Spell: My Life as a Rajneeshee, and the Long Journey Back to Freedom (1st ed). Sydney: Pan Macmillan. 342 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, sepia (brown-tinted) & colour photos, corner one page creased (bookmarked), bottom corners few pages little creased, edges lightly toned, minor edgewear. The story of her life after she became devoted to the Indian guru Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. She changed her name, wore the orange robes of a sannyasin, and moved her family to live first in an ashram in India and then in the Bhagwan-created city of Rajneeshpuram in Oregon, USA. Jane sacrificed her marriage and children, and eventually - through an act of attempted murder - her freedom. This incredible true story is a profound meditation on the nature of self-determination and the human spirit’s capacity for redemption. ISBN: 9781405039055. Our Book No: 40072. $26 AUD.
90. Tudball, Ruthanne (1996). Soda Glazing (1st Australian ed) [Ceramics Handbooks]. Sydney: Kangaroo Press. 95 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white drawings, black & white & colour text-photos, minor edgewear. Discusses the history of and techniques involved in soda glazing, which was the neglected cousin of salt glazing for many years. Scarce Australian edition. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 086417750X. Our Book No: 20897. $10 AUD.
91. Valentine (No Date). Postcard: Greetings from Port Fairy. Melbourne / Printed in Great Britain: Valentine Publishing Co. Pty Ltd. N/A pp. Postcard oblong, very good condition, lift-up flap, colour drawing, black & white miniature concertina pull-out photos, tiny tear at corner join of flap, minor edgewear. Novelty Australian postcard. Picture of Australian lyre bird on front. Lift-up flap reveals a set of seven miniature black & white photos of scenes at Port Fairy, Victoria. The photos form a concertina pull-out which sits under the flap. Our Book No: 40093. $15 AUD.
92. Wallace, Ivy L. (1955). Pookie Puts the World Right (Reprint ed). London: Collins Publishers for the Children. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket as issued, very good condition, red cloth spine (repair), pictorial cover & endpapers, full-page colour drawings, black & white drawings, edge tears bottom edge most pages (archival repairs), minimal creasing some pages, little biro scribble rear endpaper, edgewear. Pookie (the rabbit with wings) sets out on another classic adventure. This time he has to fix the weather. The beautiful full-page illustrations will appeal to children of all ages. (Originally published in 1949.). ISBN: 1863884742. Our Book No: 17629. $60 AUD.
93. Wallace, Ivy L. (1955). Pookie (Reprint ed). London: Collins Publishers for the Children. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket as issued, very good condition, colour pictorial cover & endpapers, red cloth spine (repair), full-page colour drawings, black & white drawings, minimal foxing & creasing, edgewear. Pookie (the flying rabbit with wings) has many adventures. A girl called Belinda changed the small wings that he did not like into large wings. Pookie runs away from home, almost dies of a broken heart but finds love in a woodcutter's cottage. The charming drawings will suit all ages. (Eighth reprint of the first Pookie book. This classic children's picture story was originally published in 1946.). Our Book No: 17630. $80 AUD.
94. Walling, Edna (1944). Gardens in Australia: Their Design and Care (2nd ed). Melbourne / London: Oxford University Press (OUP) / Humphrey Milford. 148 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket (missing), good plus condition, black & white text-photos & drawings, plans, tan cloth cover (top edge front cover little flecked), tide marks bottom corner tips many pages (previous water damage now dry), endpapers little toned & foxed, spine ends little chipped, pages toned, minor edgewear. Second edition (actually a reprint of the first edition). This well-illustrated book has a twofold purpose - to give pleasure, as a thing of beauty, while also providing practical help to those making new gardens, or intending to reconstruct old ones. Note that gardens planned for and constructed upon large estates are quite applicable to much small areas. Our Book No: 17627. $40 AUD.
95. Watts, W. W. (1926). Geology for Beginner's (Reprint ed). London: Macmillan & Co. 352 pp. Hardcover small, no jacket, good plus condition, red boards (black lettering), figures, few tables, frontispiece, cover corners little bumped, spine little faded, edges lightly foxed, pages & endpapers lightly toned, owner's written name & details inside front cover, minor pencil annotation. This small book on geology, which while short and elementary in treatment, is accurate and fairly up to date. The many photos and diagrams are a helpful part of the book. Written for school work and for the examinations of the Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board. This book would also interest anyone who would like to learn a little about this fascinating subject Our Book No: 40099. $20 AUD.
96. White, Patrick (1988). The Burnt Ones (Reprint ed). London: Penguin Group. 316 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minor toning rear cover, tiny scuff top spine, minor edgewear. A collection of nine short stories and two novellas by the Australian winner of the Nobel prize for Literature. Reveals the disparities - funny and sad, ironic and compassionate, between life's expectations and its realities. ISBN: 0140027769. Our Book No: 30189. $10 AUD.
97. Wild, Margaret; Stewart, Chantal (illustrator) (1992). When Penny was Mum (Reprint ed). Melbourne: Roads and Traffic Authority New South Wales and VicRoads. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, stapled, full-page colour drawings, small dent front cover, staples rusted, laminate coating little lifting along spine edge, minor edgewear. One Monday morning Penny asked her mother if they could play Swaps? Penny wanted to play at being her mother and her mother would be Penny. This children's picture story will delight adults and children alike. This book is one of four children’s picture storybooks developed to support the early childhood road safety education program Kids and Traffic. ISBN: 0730626830. Our Book No: 40065. $18 AUD.
98. Wiseman, Rosalind (2013). Ringleaders and Sidekicks: How to Help Your Son Cope with Classroom Politics, Bullying, Girls and Growing Up. London: Piatkus. 371 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, bump top of spine, minimal edgewear, edges & pages lightly toned, top corner tip rear cover bent. The American author has worked with a large team of boys aged between 11 and18 years to create this book. Includes innovative strategies to help you deal with a range of issues, from video games, online identities and body-image worries, bullies, school and girls. ISBN: 9780749958251. Our Book No: 30190. $20 AUD.
99. Yapp, Nick (1992). Hoaxers and Their Victims. London: Robson Books. 231 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos centre spread, spine lettering jacket little faded (flaps little foxed), minor edgewear. An entertaining examination of hoaxes and hoaxers, including the famous Cottingley Fairies, Piltdown Man and the Hitler diaries. Includes chapters on the psychology of both hoaxers and victims, and on the prevalence of hoaxing. And what is the blurred boundary line between faking and copying a painting? ISBN: 08650517810. Our Book No: 17641. $15 AUD.