INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
(Located in Australia):
BOOKS FOR SALE: RECENT ACQUISITIONS APRIL 2019
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. Adulyadej, His Majesty King Bhumibol ; Rachawat, Chai (cartoonist); Sirindhorn, Princess Maha Chakri (preface) (2004). The Story of Tongdaeng, Cartoon Version: Biography of a Pet Dog (Reprint ed). Bangkok: Amarin Printing and Publishing Public Company. 172 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, colour cartoons, corner tips front cover little creased. In 2002 His Majesty the King wrote the book "Tongdaeng" which was the story of an intelligent and devoted dog. This was a very popular book which had the English version printed alongside the Thai version. For this version, Chai Rachawat illustrated the King's story. To enhance comprehension, Mr Chaiwent (the cartoonist) added more pictures, including the Chitralada Villa, Dusit Palace and Klaikangvol Palace in Huahin. The colourful cartoons were very lively, giving an illustration of movement. There is additional information about Tongdaeng and other dogs raised by the King. This very special book will help raise awareness about Thai stray dogs and if given the right home with plenty of love and kindness, they will give back what they are given. The cartoons will bring a smile to many faces. ISBN: 9742729174. Our Book No: 30212. $30 AUD.
2. Aitken, E. F.; Steele, Major-General C. S. (foreword) (1953). The Story of the 2/2nd Australian Pioneer Battalion. Melbourne: 2/2nd Pioneer Battalion Association. 288 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket (missing), good condition, cancelled EX-LIBRARY, red-brown cloth cover (spine & edges little faded), black & white photos (including frontispiece), maps, pictorial single-colour endpapers, library marks (rubber stamp, lettering base spine, pocket & date due sheet neatly removed rear endpapers, white ink & brief annotation title page, faint tape marks endpapers), prelim page REMOVED, pages faintly toned, some edgewear. A regimental history of this battalion that served during World War 2 in Palestine, Syria, and finally Java (becoming POWs in Java, and then moved to the notorious Thailand-Burma Railway). A newly formed battalion later served in New Guinea and Borneo (Tarakan and Balikpapan). Includes nominal rolls of awards and deaths. ISBN: 0195826663. Our Book No: 17646. $220 AUD.
3. Almond, David (2009). Skellig (Reprint ed). London: Hodder Children's Books. 170 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, corner tips covers & last few pages little creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This story for young adults is about an angel named Skellig. Michael and his friend Mina find a strange creature in their garage. They carry it into the light, and Michael's world changes forever. Winner of the Carnegie Medal and the Whitbread Children's Book of the Year. ISBN: 9780340944950. Our Book No: 30230. $10 AUD.
4. American Army Y.M.C.A., Navy Paris Division (1918). Musical Festival Programme: New Years Eve, December 31st, 1918 at the Theatre des Champs-Elysees (1st ed). Paris: Theatre des Champs-Elysees. 8 pp. Paperback small trade, good condition, stapled pamphlet (single staple, rusted), cream pages with red borders, one black & white photo, good condition, light toning & foxing pages, small mark front cover, fold across pages, tiny tear spine ends, minor edgewear. This program for a musical festival is for the members of the American Expeditionary Force under the distinguished patronage of President and Mme Poincare. Principal choral works of Cesar Franck and The Beautiful Oratorio of TH. Dubois: "The Seven Last Words of Christ". Our Book No: 40119. $15 AUD.
5. Anastasios, Andrew; Wilson-Anastasios, Meaghan (2015). The Water Diviner: Based on the Original Script by Andrew Knight and Andrew Anastasios (Reprint ed). Sydney: Pan Macmillan Australia. 348 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, few light creases covers, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. This novel tells the complete story of The Water Diviner and is based on the original screenplay (now a major motion picture). It is inspired by true events found within personal accounts and official records from the Great War (WW1) about actions at Gallipoli. Joshua Connor, a grieving farmer and sometime water diviner from the Mallee in Victoria, sets out to fulfil his wife's dying wish, to travel to Gallipoli to recover the bodies of his three sons and bury them in consecrated ground. He discovers that his eldest son, Art, may still be alive. When Connor makes a desperate dash into the perilous heart of Anatolia one question haunts him: if Art is alive, why hasn't he come home? ISBN: 9781743534281. Our Book No: 30221. $15 AUD.
6. Atkinson, Louisa (1983). Tom Hellicar's Children. Canberra, Cook: Mulini Press. 103 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. This historical novel is set in Australia after the gold rushes, and was first published as a serial in the Sydney Mail. The story is about three children, left in the guardianship of their Uncle, and the treatment which they and their mother received at his hands. The author has included many realistic descriptions of colonial life. The rounding up of brumbies is a very vivid description of one of the boys in a dramatic ride down a rocky hillside after one of the wild horses: this scene was written over 30 years before, and may have been a model for, the same scene in “The Man From Snowy River”. (Originally published in 1871 as 21 parts in the Sydney Mail newspaper.). ISBN: 0949910104. Our Book No: 29783. $18 AUD.
7. Atkinson, Louisa (1988). Myra. Canberra, Cook: Mulini Press. 53 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, spine faintly faded, minor edgewear. This novel is set in the 1850s in a farming community west of Sydney on the Nepean River. This is a domestic novel dealing with human relationships, which gives a picture of life as it was often lived by women in the 1860s. An excellent novel about early colonial Australia. (Originally published in 1864 in six parts in the Sydney Mail newspaper.). ISBN: 0949910171. Our Book No: 29820. $20 AUD.
8. Attwood, Tony (1998). Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals (Reprint ed). London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers. 223 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, top corner front cover creased, minor edgewear, small owner's written name (covered black texta). A definitive guide to this syndrome that is closely related to autism. Describes and analyses the unusual characteristics of Asperger's syndrome, with strategies to reduce the most conspicuous and debilitating symptoms. This bestselling guide brings together the most relevant and useful information on all aspects of the syndrome, from language and social behavior to motor clumsiness. Incorporates case studies from his own practical experience, as well as many examples of - and quotations from - people with Asperger's syndrome. ISBN: 1853025771. Our Book No: 2479. $15 AUD.
9. Battalion A.I.F., 41st (1918). Remembrance Christmas 1918 (1st ed). Paris: Bishop & Garret, Printers. 4 pp. Ephemera, card small, pages attached to card covers by fine blue string, very good condition, light toning, light foxing pages, minor edgewear. This small card has the insignia of the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces on the cover. Remembrance on the cover. Christmas 1918 is on the first page. The message inside reads: "To you, our own dear loved ones, way o'er the other side. We wish the best and brightest to bless this Christmas tide. And tho' perforce "Somewhere in France”. In body we must stay, In spirit we shall cross to you. To share your Christmas day". Printed on inside page: "With Best Wishes from 41st Battalion, A.I.F. France". Our Book No: 40120. $25 AUD.
10. Bayley, William A. (1976). Border City: History of Albury (Revised, updated ed). Albury: Albury City Council. 239 pp. Revised edition. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white text-photos (including frontispiece), illustrated endpapers, light toning pages, minor edgewear jacket (spine ends & corners scuffed, spine little faded, small closed edge tears, little rubbed), two small marks front pastedown, non-author written and dated dedication front flyleaf. The history of Albury which is the only city in Australia situated on the border between two states (with Victoria). This book traces in words and pictures the development of Albury from a bark hut beside a river, through its golden years when it aspired to be the capital city of federated Australia - until it became the appealing city of today. The new revised edition has been extended to include the events following its initial publication. ISBN: 0959927603. Our Book No: 30213. $20 AUD.
11. Bean, C. E. W. (1947). On the Wool Track. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons. 210 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, good condition (in fair only dustjacket), endpapers & pages little toned, pieces missing top edge & top spine jacket (edgewear, spine faded, flap not price-clipped), copy 1. A young reporter from the Sydney Morning Herald travels through western New South Wales in search of colourful stories about the wool industry. (1 of 2 available copies.). Our Book No: 17108. $20 AUD.
12. Becker, Carl L. (1979). The Heavenly City of the Eighteenth-century Philosophers (Reprint ed). London: Yale University Press (YUP). 168 pp. Paperback small trade, good plus condition, spine ends rubbed, front cover creased top corner & along spine, edges lightly foxed (mostly top edge), light toning inside covers, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. These graceful and witty essays by a distinguished American historian disclose the fallacy of believing that the 18th century was mostly modern in its temper. The author demonstrates that the period commonly known as The Age of Reason was, in fact, very far from that. Voltaire, Hume, Diderot and Locke were actually living in a medieval world, and that the philosophers "demolished the Heavenly City of St. Augustine only to rebuild it with more up-to-date materials". ISBN: 0300000170. Our Book No: 30204. $15 AUD.
13. Boone, J. Allen (1979). Kinship with All Life (P/b, reprint ed). New York: Harper & Row. 157 pp. Paperback, good plus condition, pages toned, spine faintly creased, minor edgewear, owner's written name, stock photo may differ. Cover subtitle: Real-life experiences of how animals communicate with each other and with the people who understand them. This classic text on animal-human communication is based on the author's personal experiences. ISBN: 0060609125. Our Book No: 3409. $10 AUD.
14. Bown, Stephen R. (2003). Scurvy: How a Surgeon, a Mariner and a Gentleman Solved the Greatest Medical Mystery of the Age of Sail (Australian ed). Melbourne: Viking / Penguin Books. 284 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white illustrations, maps, minor edgewear. This book is both a history and a detective story. It is about class, wilful ignorance and ludicrous decision-making, and about how a cure for scurvy (good nutrition) was found, ignored, lost, and finally implemented to the great benefit of all seafaring nations. ISBN: 0670041203. Our Book No: 27214. $15 AUD.
15. Brash, Nicholas; de Paauw, Wendy (illustrator) (1989). Alphacats (1st ed). Sydney: Hutchinson Australia/ Bow Press. Unnum 54 pp. Hardback large square quarto, dustjacket, pictorial cover, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), full-page colour illustrations, minimal edgewear jacket. This beautiful picture book is a fun and unusual way to teach children the letters of the alphabet. Australian towns are added to some of the cat's names to make a rhyme, except the final letter which is something cats do a lot! ISBN: 0091696305. Our Book No: 27817. $20 AUD.
16. Broinowski, Richard Philip (2001). A Witness to History: The Life and Times of Robert Arthur Broinowski. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 257 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos centre spread, front cover jacket little rubbed. minor edgewear. Biography of Polish-Australian public servant, by his grandson. He was secretary to three Defence Ministers, Federal parliamentary officer (Clerk of the Senate), broadcaster, and editor of two poetry magazines. ISBN: 0522849423. Our Book No: 11919. $20 AUD.
17. Browne, Gracius J.; Hollar, Wenceslaus (illustrator) (1879). Panoramic View of Old London A.D. 1647: Reproduced by Means of Photo-lithography from an Ancient Engraving by Wenceslaus Hollar, with an Historical Sketch of the Origin and Progress of London, compiled from Ancient Histories and Other Reliable Sources. Melbourne: Walker May & Co. 16 pp. Hardback very large folio (53 x 32 cm), no jacket as issued, fair only condition (but complete), paper-covered board cover (large gilt vignette, black cloth spine, top corner front cover SPLIT, little scratched), new front pastedown, booklet (pages lightly toned, some foxing, internal string binding, little LOOSE), very large foldout photo-lithograph (231 x 52 cm) at rear (edgewear & creases at folds, little toned & spotted mainly edges, large browned patch reverse side), significant edgewear cover corners (little loss). Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. An 1879 photo-lithographic reproduction of Wenceslaus Hollar's "Panoramic View of London AD 1647", also called the "Long View of London". Consists of a 16-page introductory booklet by Browne, and the foldout lithograph, which opens up to 231 cm (about 7 feet 6 inches) in length, by 52 cm (about 1 foot 8 inches tall). The introduction was printed by Walker & May, Mackillop Street, Melbourne. The lithograph is by Hamel & Ferguson, Queen Street, Melbourne. A very scarce item. Gracius J. Browne is also known as Gracius J. Broinowski, whose works include Birds of Australia. Our Book No: 13318. $1300 AUD.
18. Bruce, Mary Grant; Macfarlane, J. (illustrator) (1926). Timothy in Bushland (Reprint ed). London & Melbourne: Ward, Lock. 239 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, good plus condition (in good plus dustjacket), red cloth cover (embossed, black lettering), black & white plates (including frontispiece), front pastedown scuffed, some edge tears jacket (reverse side little foxed), endpapers toned, minor internal foxing, minor edgewear, owner's written name & non-author dedication. A scarce collectible novel for young adults. (Originally published 1912, this is the undated 1926 reprint.) Based on a series of tales originally written for "The Leader". Records the adventures of Timothy, a poor child, and his conversations with the animals of the Australian bush, including the mythical bunyip. Burnet 3.2 variant: has "The Tower Rooms" as last book on front booklist, published in London & Melbourne, and printed by Butler & Tanner, adverts at rear. There are 7 plates by J. Macfarlane (frontispiece, p.48, 80, 96, 112, 208, 224). However cloth cover is red, not green.). Our Book No: 15243. $80 AUD.
19. Bythell, Shaun (2017). The Diary of a Bookseller. London: Profile Books. 310 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good plus dustjacket), frontispiece, minor edgewear jacket, cover corners little bumped. A fascinating humorous daily diary of life in a bookshop, in the booktown, Wigtown, in the southwest corner of Scotland. It is the largest second-hand bookshop in Scotland. It is a Georgian townhouse full of twisting corridors and roaring fires, set in a beautiful town by the edge of the sea. The crooked shelves can produce a 16th-century leather-bound Bible to a first edition Agatha Christie. The owner, Shaun Bythell, is a bibliophile and misanthrope extraordinaire. Through his honest and very funny diaries, he gives a different view of bookselling. A true inside look at the trials, tribulations and joys of life in the book trade. ISBN: 9781781258620. Our Book No: 30234. $25 AUD.
20. Carrion, Jorge; Bush, Peter (translator) (2016). Bookshops (1st U.K. ed). London: Maclehose Press. 304 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, minor edgewear jacket. This fascinating book is a travelogue of a lucid and curious observer, full of anecdotes and stories from the universe of writing, publishing and selling books. The author travels to Shakespeare & Co in Paris, Wells in Winchester, Green Apple Books in San Francisco, Librairie des Colonnes in Tangier, and The Strand Book Store in New York. The author touches on the role of bookshops in today's ever-changing climate of globalisation, disappearing high streets, and e-readers, and gives a compelling case for hope. He underlines the importance of bookshops and the magic that happens there. (Translated from Spanish.). ISBN: 9780857054449. Our Book No: 30218. $20 AUD.
21. Carter, Melanie; Oram, Nicola (illustrator) (2012). Possum Goes to School (Reprint ed). Cairns, QLD: Childerset. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback square quarto, very good condition, stapled, full-page colour drawings, minor edgewear. Australian children's picture story about a possum who goes to school and caused havoc. This is the sequel to Possum in the House. The large colourful drawings and easy-to-read text will appeal to any age. ISBN: 9780949130488. Our Book No: 28778. $12 AUD.
22. Catterwell, Thelma; Argent, Kerry (illustrator) (2006). Sebastian Lives in a Hat (New ed). Adelaide, Malvern: Omnibus. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback square quarto, very good plus condition, full-page colour drawings, minimal edgewear. Children's story about a very special little wombat. The author cared for Sebastian when he was found beside the body of his dead mother, until he reached full maturity, and was returned to the wild. This delightful book will bring a smile to adults and children alike. ISBN: 1862910987. Our Book No: 23542. $15 AUD.
23. Chieh, Wang (1967). The Diary of Wang Chieh. Peking: Foreign Languages Press. 98 pp. Paperback trade, good plus condition, frontispiece photos (including portrait), front cover & endpapers foxed (little foxing edges), pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. The daily diary of Chairman Mao's good soldier, carrying out his duties and finding inspiration from the brilliance of Chairman Mao's writings. An initial biography describes him as a 23-year old sqad leader in an engineering company of the People's Liberation Army, who died a glorious death by saving the lives of militiamen during a blasting operation. Our Book No: 17647. $30 AUD.
24. Committee, Sports and Entertainments; Hocken, Captain A. (1960). Program: The Rangihahas in South Terrific (with Apologies). City Not Stated: R.M.S. Rangitata (Captain A. Hocken). 4 pp. Ephemera trade, folded card, very good condition, light toning, light mark rear cover, creases along fold, minor edgewear. Programme for a concert performed by The Rangihahas troupe on the R.M.S. Rangitata on Monday, 21st. March, 1960. Our Book No: 40106. $10 AUD.
25. Cookery Teachers' Association, NSW (1936). Modern Advanced Cookery. Sydney: George B. Philip & Son. 247 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, red cloth boards, few black & white text illustrations, few colour illustrations, slight loss top spine, spine little faded, top front cover & fore-edge little toned, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear, previous owner’s name & address in pencil title page Prepared by the members of the N.S.W. Cookery Teachers' Association for use by pupils taking a course of cookery lessons at High, Rural, Home Science or Primary Schools. It is written and arranged in the same simple form as the "Common Sense Cookery Book", and it should prove of value to homemakers as well as to school pupils and students of domestic science. (Estimated date, Trove catalogue.). Our Book No: 40134. $85 AUD.
26. Crittenden, Victor (1966). A Checklist of Books and Articles on New England Australia (1st ed). Armidale, NSW: Mulini Press. 32 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, card covers, black cloth spine, edges lightly toned, spine ends little scuffed, minor edgewear corners covers & few pages. The New England Regional Group of the Library Association of Australia was established in 1959, and one of the projects suggested was to compile a bibliography of New England, New South Wales. The plans did not come about. The author has revised the collected material, and compiled this book. The work has been titled a checklist because of its incomplete nature. Victor hopes that readers will send him any missing works so he can publish a more complete bibliography in the future. ISBN: 9780702234699. Our Book No: 40111. $20 AUD.
27. Crocker, Dr Ernest F. (2011). Nine Minutes Past Midnight: A Young Emergency Doctor Comes Face to Face with His Not So Silent Partner (1st ed). Milton Keynes: Authentic Media. 245 pp. Paperback trade, good plus condition, black & white & colour photos, cover corner tips & few pages & spine little creased, spine ends little rubbed, light creases covers, minor edgewear. The author was called out to a medical emergency, he became aware that God was working next to him. In this inspiring book he writes about this life-changing story which led him to talk with other doctors about their experiences of a 'silent partner'. Together, their testimonies create this account of how God interacts and intervenes in the world of medicine today. Dr Crocker continues to operate in a private nuclear medicine and ultrasound practice in Sydney. ISBN: 9781850789642. Our Book No: 30228. $15 AUD.
28. Drayton, Joanne (2009). Ngaio Marsh: Her Life in Crime (1st p/b ed). London: HarperCollins. 475 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, black & white photos centre spread, front cover top edge & spine little creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear corner tips. A biography of Ngaio Marsh, a died-in-the-wool New Zealander: lively, acute, sympathetic, a well-balanced story of a single woman who was never alone nor lonely. She was an Edwardian who followed her muses in a thoroughly modern manner, and a writer who, while invincibly colonial, celebrated England's Golden Age of mystery as royally as its other queens of crime - Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers and Margery Allingham. She wrote her first detective novel in a London flat in the 1930s: Detective Inspector Roderick Alleyn appeared in A Man Lay Dead. In 1932, a family tragedy brought Marsh home to New Zealand, to a life divided - between hemispheres, between passionate relationships at home and abroad, and between her life as crime fiction writer and stage director. ISBN: 9780007328680. Our Book No: 30216. $18 AUD.
29. Duff, R. E. B. (1969). 100 Years of the Suez Canal (1st ed). Brighton, Sussex: Clifton Books. 152 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & cream plates, endpaper maps, faint foxing top edge, minor edgewear jacket (corner tips little rubbed, faint foxing reverse side). This book has been written to commemorate the 100 year opening of the Suez Canal. The author describes the early attempts to forge a link between the Mediterranean and the Red Sea. He then describes de Lesseps himself and the political obstructions, financial problems and engineering hazards successfully overcome by this remarkable Frenchman. The author has worked for many years in the Middle East as a newspaperman and editor. Our Book No: 30222. $20 AUD.
30. Duffy, Michael (2003). Man of Honour: John Macarthur - Duellist, Rebel, Founding Father. Sydney: Pan Macmillan. 372 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white & colour photos, pages lightly toned as usual, minimal edgewear. This biography takes us into the intellectual and physical world of the late 18th century, and the fledgling Australian society precariously establishing itself around Sydney Cove. Argues that the Macarthurs were the first educated couple to choose to live in Australia. John Macarthur created the wool industry, fought three duels, and challenged successive governors - including the notorious Governor Bligh - on principle, being an honourable gentleman. ISBN: 0732911788. Our Book No: 20205. $45 AUD.
31. Dux, Monica; Simic, Zora (2008). The Great Feminist Denial (1st ed). Melbourne, Carlton: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 242 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, light bump top spine, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear corners. Examines the popular debates in which feminism stands accused. They show how the Great Feminist Denial is suppressing genuine debate about the problems that women face, and preventing real feminism from giving the solutions that it still has to offer. The book proposes a way forward that offers women a new way of calling themselves feminists. ISBN: 9780522854152. Our Book No: 30219. $18 AUD.
32. Ferro, Gaetano (editor); Caraci, Ilaria Luzzana (editor) (1988). The Italian Contribution to the Knowledge of the Fifth Continent: L. M. e E. A. D'Albertis / Il Contributo Italiano alla Conoscenza del Quinto Continente: L.M. e E. A. D'Albertis [XXVI Geographical International Congress: Memoire Societa Geografica Italiana]. Roma (Rome): Societa Geografica Italiana. 157 + 168 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear & rubbing. A summary of historical Italian knowledge about the Australian continent. Mostly about the voyages of Luigi Maria D’Albertis in the 1870s and later, including visits to Papua New Guinea, and an overland trip from Sydney to Melbourne by coach and train. Includes lengthy extracts from his diaries. This report is printed twice, at the rear being in the Italian language (upside down). Our Book No: 17648. $50 AUD.
33. Finney, Charles; Kuruvilla, F. G. (editor) (2003). True Christianity: A Collection of Classic Messages on What It Means to Truly Follow Jesus, by One of the Greatest Preachers of Modern History (1st ed). Cambridge, MA: Anchor-Cross Media. 263 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, top spine lightly bumped, minor edgewear cover corners & few pages. Charles Finney (1792-1875), was the most powerful Christian preacher of the 1800s who sought to clearly articulate what the scriptures say about living the true Christian life to please God. This book contains 16 messages from Finney that describe the essential practice of Christianity. ISBN: 0974272701. Our Book No: 30209. $30 AUD.
34. Fook, Jan (editor); Hawthorne, Susan (editor); Klein, Renate (editor) (2003). Cat Tales: The Meaning of Cats in Women's Lives (1st ed). Melbourne: Spinifex Press. 219 pp. Paperback small square quarto, very good condition, single-colour & black & white text-photos, minor edgewear corner tips, faint foxing edges, tiny black texta marks bottom edge & front cover. This beautiful book has more than 80 women from many countries and cultures who tell their stories about their feline friendships. There are cats of all colours and sizes from the city, the bush, and the farm. Cats who open fridges, sign contracts, and cats-in-drag. The many photos have different coloured backgrounds such as green, purple with the black or tabby cat the main feature. A wonderful gift fur a cat lover. ISBN: 1876756373. Our Book No: 30205. $20 AUD.
35. Fox, Mem; Vivas, Julie (illustrator) (2012). Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge (Reprint ed). Adelaide / Gosford, NSW: Omnibus Books / Scholastic Press. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, card covers, stapled, colour drawings, minor creasing & edgewear. Australian children's picture story about a boy with four names who lives next door to an old people's home. Wilfrid discovers that Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt Cooper has four names like him, and she has lost her memory, so he must help her find it. This is a delightful story that will appeal to any age. ISBN: 9781862918184. Our Book No: 17650. $12 AUD.
36. Gabrielle-Thompson, Anne (1986). The Southwest Pacific: An Annotated Guide to Bibliographies, Indexes and Collections in Australian Libraries (1st ed) [Aids to Research Series]. Canberra: Australian National University / Academy of Social Sciences in Australia. 127 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, minor edgewear, pencil & some biro annotation (note about annotations inside front cover). This guide is based primarily on reference works held in Australian Libraries. Most works listed in this guide refer specifically to the Southwest Pacific, Fiji, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, The Solomon Islands and Vanuatu (formerly the New Hebrides). The include: general and subject bibliographies, theses catalogues, guides to archival material and manuscripts, indexes to newspaper and journal articles, guides to official publications, guides to holdings of specialist libraries, guides to serial publications. Entries are alphabetically arranged by geographical unit under broad categories. Material held in a number of libraries is marked as “widely held”. (No A6 in this series.). ISBN: 0867848327. Our Book No: 40110. $25 AUD.
37. Gain, Geoffrey (1993). Phoenix and Other Poems (1st ed). Oxford: New Cherwell Press. 65 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, pages slightly wavy, minimal foxing fore-edge, faint marks top edge, minor edgewear. The British author of these poems spent time travelling widely in three continents, and he was a resident of India and Australia, where he became deeply involved in the life of both countries. India features in the collection as he paints vivid, unforgettable word-pictures of Indian city life, landscape and people. He has written a very moving poem about his wife as she was slowly dying. The collection ends with a forward look - to the century only six short years away. ISBN: 0951769537. Our Book No: 40125. $25 AUD.
38. Gibson, Ross; Emmett, Peter (foreword) (1996). The Bond Store Tales (1st ed). Sydney, Glebe: Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales / Museum of Sydney. 241 pp. Paperback small thick trade, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), parilux dull white covers, gilclear medium endpapers, single-colour photos, light foxing edges, novatech gloss jacket (small closed tear rear), corners little rubbed). A literary version of The Bond Store gallery at the Museum of Sydney. It is a book of stories and historical fragments blended together so that the flames of fiction come out from a tinder of records, from the everyday lives of colonial Sydney, 1788 to 1850. The seafaring tales of the South Pacific in this book are true stories in as much as they are inspired by material evidence. They are true to the spirit of people living everyday lives. At the end of each story there are research notes about the people in the story. (Foreword by senior curator, Museum of Sydney.). ISBN: 0949753610. Our Book No: 40107. $20 AUD.
39. Gladwell, Malcolm (2013). David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants (1st ed). New York: Little, Brown and Company. 305 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), rear flap jacket creased (light stain bottom edge, small stain top edge jacket, closed tear top corner), bottom corner rear cover little bumped, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Challenges how we think about obstacles and disadvantages, offering a new interpretation of what it means to be discriminated against, or cope with disability, or lose a parent, or attend a mediocre school, or suffer from any number of what appear to be setbacks. He explains the real story of what happened between the giant and the shepherd boys those many years ago. ISBN: 9780316204361. Our Book No: 30207. $15 AUD.
40. Goldin, Ian (2014). Divided Nations: Why Global Governance is Failing, and What We Can Do About It (1st p/b ed). Oxford: Oxford University Press (OUP). 207 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, figures, bottom corner front cover creased, minor edgewear. This book identifies the key challenges and explores new approaches to effective governance in our interconnected world. The author argues that the UN, World Bank, and other global institutions are not able to adequately tackle financial crises, cybercrime, climate change, migration, pandemics, and resource requirements that transcend out national boundaries. ISBN: 9780199689033. Our Book No: 30210. $18 AUD.
41. Goulston, S .J. M . Little, Miles (preface) (2007). Poetry for Pleasure (1st pb ed). Sydney: ETT Imprint. 93 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, tiny black & white photo title page. These wonderful poems are written by Stanley Jack Marcus Goulston who was born in Sydney in July 1915. He graduated with honours in Medicine in 1939 and was a resident at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He served in the 2nd World War as a Regimental Medical Officer to the 2/1st Australian Pioneers and went to the Middle East in the 6th Division. He was involved in the eight-month siege of Tobruk. Many of the poems in this book are about his family, and he is a treasured member of his large family. At the end of the book he has written a poem about turning 90, which is amazing and that he is still writing is very special and unique. ISBN: 9781875892365. Our Book No: 40123. $20 AUD.
42. Goulston, S. J. M. ; Little, Miles (preface) (2007). Poetry for Pleasure (1st ed). Sydney: ETT Imprint. 93 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket, green boards, gilt title on cover & spine, tiny black & white photo title page, small scuff one page, crease one page. These wonderful poems are written by Stanley Jack Marcus Goulston who was born in Sydney in July 1915. He graduated with honours in Medicine in 1939 and was a resident at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He served in the 2nd World War as a Regimental Medical Officer to the 2/1st Australian Pioneers and went to the Middle East in the 6th Division. He was involved in the eight-month siege of Tobruk. Many of the poems in this book are about his family, and he is a treasured member of his large family. At the end of the book he has written a poem about turning 90, which is amazing and that he is still writing is very special and unique. ISBN: 9781875892365. Our Book No: 40122. $30 AUD.
43. Groves, Mary (2011). An Outback Life: How Love Led Me Across the Vast Top End - from Campfires to Cattle Stations, and from Tragedy to Good Fortune (Reprint ed). Sydney: Arena / Allen & Unwin. 319 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, colour & black & white & sepia (brown-tinted) photos, top corner rear cover creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This is the author's fascinating memoir about her time in the outback. At the age of 14, her family moved from Melbourne to Mataranka, a small isolated town in the Northern Territory. In her early 20s, Mary met and fell in love with Joe Groves. They had four children and led an exciting and challenging life managing and owning an array of cattle stations. Mary states that she has not used real names in these stories, and the terminology is that of the 60s and 70s, and some remarks may seem sexist or racist - they are not intended to be derogatory, but were terms used in the Territory in her time there. ISBN: 9781742377056. Our Book No: 30203. $15 AUD.
44. Haines, Gregory (1976). Lay Catholics and the Education Question in Nineteenth Century New South Wales: The Shaping of a Decision (1st ed) [Studies in the Christian Movement]. Sydney: Catholic Theological Faculty. 230 pp. Hardback, no jacket as issued), very good condition, top edge minimally foxed, small mark fore-edge, faint toning edges, spine little faded, written name & date flyleaf. This book is based on the author's PhD. thesis, The Catholic Laity and Secular Education in New South Wales 1860 - 1885, which he presented to the University of New South Wales in 1974. (No 2 in this series.). ISBN: 0909246289. Our Book No: 30217. $18 AUD.
45. Halmagyi, Ed (2004). Nove Cucina: Recipes From an Italian Trattoria (1st ed). Sydney: Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC). 214 pp. Paperback small quarto, card covers (with flaps), very good condition, full-page colour photos, covers little rubbed, minor edgewear, small owner's written name title page. Heavy. This book is based on dishes from the trattoria Nove Cucina, where the author is the head chef. He is known as Fast Ed in cooking segments on Australian TV programs. ISBN: 0733314023. Our Book No: 24968. $25 AUD.
46. Hann, Chris (editor); Dunn, Elizabeth (editor) (1996). Civil Society: Challenging Western Models [European Association of Social Anthropologists Series]. London: Routledge. 248 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, spine lightly creased, minor edgewear. Draws on case materials from the USA, Britain, four of the former communist countries of Eastern Europe, Turkey and the Middle East, Indonesia, China and Japan. How relevant is the individualistic-liberal model of Western society? Demonstrates the contribution that anthropology can make to the current debate in the social sciences. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0415132193. Our Book No: 21023. $10 AUD.
47. Harding, Ford (2008). Rain Making: Attract New Clients No Matter What Your Field (2nd or revised ed). Avon, MA: Adams Business. 314 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, tables, checklists, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear corners. This new revised and updated edition is filled with easy-to-use strategies, checklists, tables, and guides. The author discusses how to write articles for professional publications, make cold calls, network to build a lasting customer base, and develop a winning sales strategy. ISBN: 9781598695885. Our Book No: 30226. $15 AUD.
48. Harwood, Gwen (1998). Gwen Harwood: Selected Poems (Reprint ed). Sydney: ETT Imprint. 216 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, pages toned as usual, minor edgewear. This is the third revised edition of Gwen Harwood’s poems, spanning 30 years, including poems from "The Lion’s Bride" and "Bone Scan”. One of Australia's finest poets. ISBN: 187589229X. Our Book No: 4476. $10 AUD.
49. Heron, Laurence Tunstall; Bro, Marguerite Harmon (foreword) (1974). ESP in the Bible: The Psychic Roots of Religion. Garden City, NY: Doubleday. 212 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good jacket), red cloth boards (grey cloth spine), red spine lettering largely faded, edges & endpapers little foxed, minor edgewear, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve (acetate). Asserts that psychic experiences have vastly influenced the Judeo-Christian experience and the Bible, and still continue to be a motivating force in all religious phenomena. Includes the visionary revelations of the Biblical Moses, Joseph and Gideon, but also the later Rene Descartes and Joan of Arc. The author is a journalist and member of the Spiritual Frontiers Fellowship. ISBN: 0385096038. Our Book No: 4479. $15 AUD.
50. Hutchinson, Frank; Myers, Francis (1885). The Australian Contingent: A History of the Patriotic Movement in New South Wales, and an Account of the Despatch of Troops to the Assistance of the Imperial Forces in the Soudan. Sydney: Thomas Richards, Government Printer. 286 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, quarter brown leather with marbled boards, spine with raised bands & gilt lettering on red-brown title label, grey endpapers, appendices, endpapers & title page moderately toned & foxed, top corner tip clipped two pages, otherwise internally very good, notable edgewear (mostly leather corners & nearby), small sticker top corner title page. An account of how 800 Australian troops were recruited to assist the Imperial Forces in the Soudan [Sudan], subsequent to the tragic death of General Gordon in Khartoum. One chapter deals with their skirmishes in battle there. A complete list of the names all volunteers in the Soudan Contingent appears in an appendix. Our Book No: 12537. $400 AUD.
51. Indyk, Ivor (editor); Webby, Elizabeth (editor) (1992). Poetry: Southerly Number Three: A Review of Australian Literature. Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 222 pp. Paperback trade, faint foxing edges, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This selection of new poems and tributes to poets tells of the wide range of poets at work, and the different kinds of poems they are writing. There are tributes to A. D. Hope and Rosemary Dobson. There are poets as different as Kevin Hart and Rhyll McMaster, John Tranter and Ania Walwicz, Les Murray and Judith Beveridge, David Malouf and Alison Clark. ISBN: 0207177112. Our Book No: 40126. $15 AUD.
52. Irwin, Alison Mrs (compiler); Fox, Mrs Dorothea (assistant) (1940). Victorian Housewives Association's Better Housekeeping Bureau Cook Book. Melbourne: Better Housekeeping Bureau. 144 pp. Paperback trade, good plus, card covers, stapled, black & white illustrations, edges toned, pages lightly toned, small scuff rear cover, top corner covers & some pages lightly creased, bottom corner few pages slightly creased, staples lightly rusted, base spine & adjacent internal pages little creased, minor edgewear. From Alison Irwin’s foreword: As a result of numerous requests from listeners of our "Kitchen of the Air" sessions over station 3UZ (Melbourne), this book has been compiled to assist all housewives by courtesy of the Victorian Housewives Association. All of the recipes have not been published, but the most popular have been chosen and tested. (Estimated date, 1938 to 1942, Trove.). Our Book No: 40133. $30 AUD.
53. Jameson, Julietta (2003). Christmas Island: Indian Ocean. Sydney: Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC). 293 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, colour maps endpapers, spine faintly creased, minor edgewear. Fascinating first-hand account of the multicultural life in Australia's most isolated territory, in the Indian Ocean close to Indonesia. (Later, the island has been noted for hosting a detention centre for asylum seekers.). ISBN: 0733311954. Our Book No: 20160. $15 AUD.
54. Jansson, Tove; Hart, Kingsley (translator) (1978). The Dangerous Journey (1st English ed). London: Ernest Benn. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback large quarto, pictorial board covers (tan cloth spine, black lettering), very good condition, colour drawings, new endpapers, bottom corner rear cover bumped, minor edgewear, small sticker top corner title page. English translation of a Swedish-language Finnish children's picture book: "Den Farliga Resan" (Holger Schildts Forlag, Helsingfors, 1977). A little girl is transported with the help of magic glasses from a boring summer afternoon into an exciting world of mangrove swamps, volcanoes, and sea where birds fly upside down. Old friends from Moomin Valley - Hemulen, Sniff, Snufkin, Thingummy Bob - join her in her adventures. Moomin rescues them in his trusty striped balloon. An extension of the Moomin children's stories by the popular Swedish-Finnish novelist, who has received the Hans Christian Andersen award for children's literature. ISBN: 051000038X. Our Book No: 14810. $60 AUD.
55. Kahneman, Daniel (2011). Thinking, Fast and Slow (Reprint ed). Melbourne: Allen Lane / Penguin Books. 501 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear. Why is there more chance we'll believe something if it's in a bold type face? Why are judges more likely to deny parole before lunch? Why do we assume a good-looking person will be more competent? The answer lies in the two ways we make choices: fast, intuitive thinking, and slow, rational thinking. This book reveals how our minds are tripped up by error and prejudice (even when we think we are being logical), and gives you practical techniques for slower, smarter thinking. It will enable to you make better decisions at work, at home, and in everything you do. By American academic won the Nobel Prize in Economics in 2002. ISBN: 9781846146060. Our Book No: 15853. $30 AUD.
56. Kearns, R. H. B. (1996). Broken Hill (3 volumes) (Reprint ed). Broken Hill, NSW: Broken Hill Historical Society. 68 + 72 + 76 pp. Each volume: Paperback small quarto, stapled, card covers, very good condition, black & white text photos, plans inside covers, spines faded, minor edgewear, tiny scuff spine ends (v1), top corner creased & bottom corner rubbed (v1), crease fore-edge rear cover (v2), corners front cover rubbed & tips creased (v3). These three pamphlets have been produced by the Broken Hill Historical Society, and written by the President of the Society. Volume 1 (1883 - 1893) covers the initial ten years of the life of the new mining field, and is the first in the series. Inside the front cover there is a location plan of the principal mines, and inside the rear cover a plan of the Broken Hill leases as at 1893. The latest reprint is 1996, the this third edition has been expanded to include additional text and illustrations. Volume 2 (1894 - 1914) is a survey of the years 1894 to 1914 and is titled The Uncertain Years. Tensions were mounting in the industrial sphere but further confrontation was temporarily delayed by the outbreak of World War 1 in 1914. There is a list of the mines inside the rear cover. This volume was reprinted in 1993. Volume 3 (1915 - 1939) is titled New Horizons, and covers the chronological history from 1915 to 1939. The cautious return to more prosperous times, following the universal trade depression of the 1930s, was checked at the outbreak of World War 2. The is a plan of the regeneration area in 1939 inside the rear cover, and. The latest reprint is 1990. ISBN: 0949331023. Our Book No: 40109. $60 AUD.
57. Kimmerling, Baruch; Migdal, Joel S. (1994). Palestinians: The Making of a People. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press (HUP). 396 pp. Paperback thick octavo, good plus condition, edges lightly foxed (including margins endpapers & title page), light bump top spine, top corner rear cover creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear corners. This book is a timely and well-written story of the origins and history of the Palestinian people, including the current Israeli-Palestinian dispute. ISBN: 0674652231. Our Book No: 30215. $20 AUD.
58. Lack, John; Templeton, Jacqueline (1995). Bold Experiment: A Documentary History of Australian Immigration since 1945. Melbourne: Oxford University Press (OUP). 312 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, black & white text-photos, minimal edgewear. Mainly quotes from documents about Australia's postwar immigration boom. Policies were expected to preserve Australia's identity as a British outpost in Asia. Yet within 50 years, Australian society has been transformed into an ethnically diverse and culturally pluralist society. This is the first documentary history to address this paradox. By lecturers, University of Melbourne. ISBN: 0195535480. Our Book No: 9809. $30 AUD.
59. Lands, Department of (1974). Map: Queensland Four Mile Series (3 maps: Cooktown, Atherton, Mossman) (New, provisional ed). Brisbane: Department of Lands, Survey Office. N/a pp. Each map: Ephemera, large format folded map, very good condition, black & white drawing, minor edgewear. These three topographical maps are of the Cooktown, Atherton and Mossman regions of northern Queensland (nos 14, 25 and 19 in this series). Our Book No: 4490. $35 AUD.
60. Leach, Robert (1993). Political Ideologies: An Australian Perspective (2nd ed). Melbourne: Macmillan Education. 245 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, old price marks. Second edition. An excellent survey of the diversity of political ideologies. Separate chapters on fascism/nazism, conservatism, liberalism, democratic socialism, communism, anarchism, and cross-spectrum ideologies (imperialism, racism, feminism, greens). ISBN: 0732920019. Our Book No: 4495. $20 AUD.
61. Levy, David I.; Kirkpatrick, Joel (with) (2011). Gray Matter: A Neurosurgeon Discovers the Power of Prayer - One Patient at a Time (Reprint ed). Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers. 304 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few tiny dents covers, top corner creased front cover, covers little lifting outwards, minor edgewear corners. This inspiring book is a fascinating look into the elite field of neurosurgery. The American neurosurgeon writes about successful and unsuccessful surgical results, and what they mean about Christian faith, forgiveness, and the power of prayer. ISBN: 9781414339757. Our Book No: 30220. $15 AUD.
62. Lloyd George, Rt. Hon. David (1914). The Great War Speech at the Queen's Hall, London (1st ed). London: Clerkenwell Press (Printer). 12 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, stapled pamphlet, light toning, spotted foxing pages, staples rusted, foxing front cover, small mark last page, rubber stamp front cover, minor edgewear. This pamphlet is the authorised edition of The Great War Speech delivered by The Rt. Hon. David Lloyd George, M.P. (Chancellor of the Exchequer) at the Queen’s Hall, London on September 19th, 1914. He spoke about: Why Our National Honour is Involved, France and Belgium in 1870, A Scrap of Paper, Germany's Perjury, Belgium's Crime, The Right to Defend its Homes, The Case of Serbia, Serbia Faced the Situation with Dignity, Russia's Turn, The Little Nations, The Test of Our Faith, German Civilisation, A Philosophy of Blood and Iron, The Road-hog of Europe, Through Terror to Triumph, A Welsh Army in the Field, The Sacrifice, The New Patriotism, and The Vision. (Rubber stamp of Orient Line of Royal Mail Steamers.). Our Book No: 40118. $18 AUD.
63. Lopez Jr, Donald S. (2016). From Stone to Flesh: A Short History of the Buddha (Reprint ed) [Buddhism and Modernity]. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 286 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, faint sticker mark rear cover. This is a book about the Buddha before he was the Buddha. The author states that the narrative will be his own. Many of the words will come from figures of a forgotten past, expressed in the quaint language beloved by antiquarians. ISBN: 9780226333236. Our Book No: 30225. $24 AUD.
64. Macken, James J. (1994). Martin Burke: The Father of Pittwater (1st ed). Sydney, Pittwater: James J. Macken. 96 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, black & white photos, pages lightly toned, minimal edgewear corners. The author continues the work started by his father, Bud Macken, in compiling an overview of the 200-year history of Coasters Retreat. The book is part of a trilogy, and the story that features Martin Burke is the second part, the first being the book 'Coasters Retreat' published in 1991. The story is used as a window on the history of early Australia. The author and his family have been part of the small settlement for over 50 years and resident there for over 30 years. ISBN: 0646176048. Our Book No: 30223. $15 AUD.
65. Macleay, Fanny; Earnshaw, Beverley (editor); Hughes, Joy (editor); Davidson, Lindy (editor) (1993). Fanny to William: The Letters of Frances Leonora Macleay 1812 - 1836. Sydney: Historic Houses Trust / Macleay Museum, University of Sydney. 195 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, black & white text-photos, corner rear cover creased, minor edgewear. The letters describe her life in London, Godstone & Cambridge, and thence from Funchal, Rio de Janiero and Sydney (under Governor Darling and later Governor Burke). ISBN: 0949753467. Our Book No: 4496. $50 AUD.
66. Mapping and Surveying, Department of (1979). Map: Town of Chiilagoe, County of Lynd, Land Agents District of Cairns. Brisbane: Department of Mapping and Surveying [Queensland]. N/a pp. Ephemera, very large format folded map, very good condition, black & white drawing, some toning & edgewear. A map of real estate lots and subdivisions in the town of Chillagoe, Cairns region, north Queensland. Stated as within the Chillagoe Mining Field, though specific mining tenements are not shown. (Chillagoe is the site of retired heritage-listed mineral smelters, the subject of the Mungana corruption scandal.). Our Book No: 4484. $15 AUD.
67. Mapping and Surveying, Department of (1980). Map: Queensland 1:250,000 Series Cadastral Maps (2 Maps: Walsh, Hann River). Brisbane: Department of Mapping and Surveying. N/a pp. Each map: Ephemera, large format folded map, very good condition, black & white drawing, toned (1 map), minor edgewear. Two cadastral maps, which show all the cadastral (survey) plans for two north Queensland regions. Map 1 (1980) is the Walsh region. Map 2 (1978) is the Hann River region (largely toned orange-brown). Our Book No: 4492. $20 AUD.
68. Martin, Jean; Encel, S. (editor) (1981). The Ethnic Dimension: Papers on Ethnicity and Pluralism by Jean Martin [Studies in Society]. Sydney: George Allen & Unwin. 186 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, small stickers, owner's written name. A posthumous collection of papers by the Australian sociologist, Jean Martin, about the role of ethnic minorities in Australian society. She rejects both cultural pluralism and Marxism as valid models, in favour of structural pluralism - a model which Encel links to Weber. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 086861243X. Our Book No: 12379. $10 AUD.
69. McCloskey, Robert (1969). Make Way for Ducklings (Reprint ed). New York: Viking Press. Unnum 58 pp. Hardback large wide quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, full-page single-colour drawings, spine ends little rubbed, faint foxing endpapers, two tiny closed tears spine, slight ridging top part spine. A children's picture story, about a family of ducks who have many adventures before they find their forever home. A kind policeman helps them across a busy road on the way to their home. The large life-like drawings will appeal to all ages, and the text would suit older readers. Awarded The Caldecott Medal As "The most distinguished American picture book for children". ISBN: 0670451495. Our Book No: 30229. $18 AUD.
70. McIntosh, Fiona (2014). Nightingale. Melbourne: Penguin Group Australia. 385 + 16 pp. Paperback thick small trade, very good condition, black & white photo, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear corners. A British nurse named Claire Nightingale meets and falls in love with Australian Light Horseman Jamie Wren at the carnage of Gallipoli. After the war is over, Clare’s desperate search to find James takes her to Istanbul, and deep into the heart of a Turkish family. A wonderful historical novel of love, heartbreak and heroism. ISBN: 9780143572800. Our Book No: 40113. $18 AUD.
71. McIntosh, Fiona (2016). The Chocolate Tin (1st ed). Melbourne: Penguin Random House Australia. 411 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, pages faintly toned. This novel goes from the battlefields of northern France in WW1 to the medieval city of York. Alexandra Frobisher is a modern-thinking woman who wants a career in England’s famous chocolate-making town of York. At the end of the war Captain Harry Blakeney discovers a dead soldier in a trench in France. In the man’s possession is a secret love note, tucked inside a tin of chocolate that had been sent to the soldiers as a gift from the people back home. He sets out to find out about this note which leads him to Alexandra and Matthew Britten-Jones. A story full of adventure, heartbreak and chocolate. ISBN: 9780143797067. Our Book No: 40114. $20 AUD.
72. McKay, Sinclair (2011). The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The WWII Codebreaking Centre and the Men and Women who Worked There (1st p/b ed). London: Aurum Press. 336 pp. Paperback, good condition, black & white photos, light creases covers, pages lightly toned, corner tips covers & few pages little creased, minor edgewear. How the codebreakers of Bletchley Park ensured victory in Burma and elsewhere during WW2. The author's acclaimed book reveals what life was really like for the young people whose clandestine efforts were instrumental in winning the war. ISBN: 978178u1315866. Our Book No: 30231. $10 AUD.
73. McLean, Ruari (1973). Victorian Publishers' Book-bindings in Cloth and Leather (1st ed). Berkeley: University of California Press. 160 pp. Hardback large quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white & colour reproductions (mostly full-page), circular red pictorial inlay on front cover, minor edgewear jacket (reverse side & flaps lightly toned, few tiny chips & edge tears), boards slightly flecked, light foxing top edge (faintly other edges). Heavy (1.1 kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Assembles photos of over 150 of the best examples of publishers' bindings in cloth and leather: 24 are reproduced in full colour. He traces the evolution of these bindings from the printed paper wrappers which were normal at the beginning of the 19th century, through the introduction of cloth by Pickering in about 1820, and on through the heyday of gold and coloured blocking, down to the end of the Victorian period. This book would be a wonderful addition to any book lovers library. ISBN: 0520025989. Our Book No: 40108. $60 AUD.
74. Mebane, John S. (1992). Renaissance Magic and the Return of the Golden Age: The Occult Tradition and Marlowe, Jonson, and Shakespeare. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press. 309 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, bottom corner very creased rear cover, top corner little creased front cover, edges faintly foxed, bottom edge rubbed, minor edgewear. For all their pride in seeing this world clearly, the thinkers and artists of the English Renaissance were also fascinated by magic and the occult. The three greatest playwrights of the period devoted major plays (The Tempest, Doctor Faustus, The Alchemist) to magic. Francis Bacon often referred to it. And it was ever-present in the visual arts. Re-evaluates the significance of occult philosophy in Renaissance thought and literature, constructing the most detailed historical context for his subject yet attempted By American associate professor of English. ISBN: 080328179X. Our Book No: 17644. $30 AUD.
75. Mines, Department of (1978). Map: Mining Lease Atlas: Mossman 1:250,000 Series. Brisbane: Department of Mines. N/a pp. Ephemera, large format folded map, very good condition, colour drawing, minor edgewear. This colour topographical map of the Mossman region, northern Queensland (dated 1973), has superimposed current mining leases indicated in red (each lease identified by number). Our Book No: 4487. $15 AUD.
76. Monagan, David; Amor, Meaghan (editor) (2004). Jaywalking with the Irish (1st ed). Melbourne, Footscray: Lonely Planet. 239 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, map, edges faintly toned, minor edgewear corners. The author is a restless, middle-aged father of three who has for years dreamed of relocating from the USA to Ireland, the land of his forebears. In this book he describes his family's struggle to come to terms with life in their new land. He writes an honest, and penetrating story of a contemporary Ireland. ISBN: 1740595971. Our Book No: 30232. $15 AUD.
77. Muhl, Anita M.; Garrett, Eileen J. (foreword); White, William A. (introduction) (1963). Automatic Writing: An Approach to the Unconscious (2nd ed). New York: Helix Press. 186 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good jacket), figures, minor edgewear, sticker mark front free flyleaf, rubber stamp title page. German-American psychiatrist applies the method of automatic handwriting for discovering what was going on the minds of her patients which was inaccessible to ordinary questioning. (Second edition, updated from the orginal English-language German edition, 1930.). Our Book No: 4494. $60 AUD.
78. Mytting, Lars; Jacobsen, Roy (foreword); Ferguson, Robert (translator) (2015). Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way (1st translated ed). London: Maclehose Press. 191 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, colour photos (mostly full-page), frontispiece, single black & white illustration, base spine & corner tips lightly rubbed. This book is part guide to the best practice in every aspect of working with this renewable energy source, part meditation on the human instinct for survival. This definitive handbook on the art of chopping, stacking and drying wood in the Scandinavian way has resonated across the world. The author has spoken to enthusiasts, from experienced lifelong growers, stackers and burners to researchers and professionals of combustion and tree culture. ISBN: 9780857052551. Our Book No: 30233. $30 AUD.
79. Neppe, Vernon M. (1983). The Psychology of Deja Vu: Have I Been Here Before? Johannesburg: Witwatersrand University Press. 277 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good condition, flexible covers, minor edgewear, title handwritten on spine, owner's rubber stamps. A pioneering investigation of the deja vu phenomenon written from a psychological perspective, by a South African-American psychiatry professor and parapsychologist. Deja vu describes the feeling that one has lived through the present situation before. (Rubber stamps of Harvey J. Irwin, psychologist and parapsychologist.). ISBN: 0854947639. Our Book No: 17645. $80 AUD.
80. Newton-John, Olivia (2018). Don't Stop Believin' (1st ed). Melbourne: Penguin Random House Australia. 317 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white & colour photos, minor edgewear jacket, spine ends lightly rubbed, minor edgewear corner tips. Autobiography of one of Australia's favourite singer and film star. In this inspiring book Olivia shares her journey, from Melbourne schoolgirl to international superstar. This is her story in her very own words for the first time. The many photos help to tell this personal moving story. ISBN: 9780143788935. Our Book No: 30227. $28 AUD.
81. O'Crohan, Tomas; Flower, Robin (translator) (2000). The Islandman (Reissue ed). Oxford: Oxford University Press (OUP). 245 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos, rear cover little creased, tiny spot front cover, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Originally published in Gaelic in 1929. Tomas O'Crohan (1856 - 1937) narrates his dangerous life in a primitive Irish community (Great Blasket Island) - often stormbound, going hungry when the fish or crops failed, living well when the storm drove a wrecked cargo onshore. He was much respected, and possessed a shrewd and humorous detachment from the whirlwind of everyday crises. ISBN: 9780192812339. Our Book No: 30208. $18 AUD.
82. Paterson, Cecily (2006). Never Alone: The Remarkable Story of David and Robyn Claydon. Adelaide: SPCK. 224 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear, autograph (written names of subjects). A child with no name, no parents and no place in the world, grows up in war-time Israel, escapes death several times, is rescued, and brought to Australia. This is the story of David Claydon and his wife Robyn, and the work they do as Christian missionaries. ISBN: 1876106131. Our Book No: 22744. $15 AUD.
83. Pike, Glenville (1980). Map: Historical Map of North Queensland: Cardwell to Cooktown. Queensland: Glenville Pike. N/a pp. Ephemera, large format folded map, very good condition, black & white drawing, minor edgewear. This map of northern Queensland lists 112 historical features, mainly mine sites. Our Book No: 4483. $15 AUD.
84. Production, Scenic (1960). Scenes Around and About Cairns. Sydney, Chatswood: Thomas Tennant. 10 pp. Ephemera, fold-out square postcards, good condition, black & white photos, illustrated colour cover, light foxing & toning on folder, few tiny holes at fold single photo, minor edgewear. This small folder with flaps has a green & black illustrated cover with 10 black & white photos on paper that folds-out concertina style. The photos are glued inside of the folder, and depict scenes around Cairns. The written dedication is: To Dear Mother with love from Dorothy. The address is Mrs E Campbell 12 Morrow St Wagga Wagga N.S.W. (Estimated date, 1950s or 1960s.). Our Book No: 40115. $18 AUD.
85. Railways of Tasmania, Government (1936). Government Railways of Tasmania Official Time Table and General Information from 24th February, 1936, Until Further Notice (1st ed). Tasmania: Walter E. Shimmins, Government Printer. 106 + 22 pp. Paperback small trade, good plus condition, thin card covers, concealed staples, tables, fold-out map inside rear cover (small tear in foldline), black & white text-photos, adverts, pages little toned, few light stains front cover, top corner rear cover creased, corner tips covers & pages slightly creased. This wonderful but scarce little book is packed with time tables, advertisements and useful information. A great addition to any Australian history or train book collection. A well cared for copy of this rare book which is in good condition for its age. Our Book No: 40132. $160 AUD.
86. Rookes, Paul; Willson, Jane (2000). Perception: Theory, Development and Organisation [Routledge Modular Psychology Series]. London: Routledge. 141 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, figures, tables, rear cover creased along spine, minor edgewear. This book introduces students to the basic biological and psychological processes and their development, concentrating mainly on visual perception. It discusses influences on perception such as pattern recognition, culture and attention. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0415190940. Our Book No: 21075. $10 AUD.
87. Roskolenko, Harry (1947). Notes from a Journey: Poems (1st p/b ed). Melbourne: Meanjin Press. 45 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, card covers (with flaps), edgewear & light toning covers, edges chipped, cover partly split along spine, staples rusted (loose at one staple), rear cover lightly foxed, pages lightly toned, spine scuffed & worn. The poems are written by Harry Roskolenko (1907-1980) who was an American poet who spent much of the 1940s in Australia when he collaborated with Sidney Nolan. The dustjacket is a rare Sidney Nolan design. Our Book No: 40130. $25 AUD.
88. Ross, Shane (2010). The Bankers: How the Banks Brought Ireland to its Knees. London: Penguin Group. 293 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, colour & black & white photos, corners rear cover little creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This is the inside story of how Ireland's bankers - assisted by the government, the regulators, property developers and the media - torpedoed a booming economy, requiring government bailouts. ISBN: 9780141044446. Our Book No: 30202. $15 AUD.
89. Salom, Philip (1983). The Projectionist (1st ed) [West Coast Writing Series]. Fremantle: Fremantle Arts Centre Press (FACP). 77 pp. Paperback trade, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), card covers, satintone jacket, small mark bottom edge, minor edgewear, owner’s name in pencil flyleaf, bookshop label inside front cover. A sequence of poems that create a powerful world in which a particular landscape and its people become windows into a much larger exploration of personal perception, integration and belief. The author uses the richness of language, image and characterization to create a compelling landscape of the imagination. (No 17 in this series.). ISBN: 0909144699. Our Book No: 40129. $18 AUD.
90. Sheridan, Greg (2015). When We Were Young and Foolish: A Memoir of My Misguided Youth With Tony Abbott, Bob Carr, Malcolm Turnbull, Kevin Rudd and Other Reprobates. Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. 365 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, black & white & colour photos, minor edgewear. Journalist (foreign affairs reporter, Australian newspaper) records his determined and passionate journey from an underprivileged but emotionally rich childhood in Sydney's inner west, to the world of emotionally charged political fronts. The book gives a new and personal look at the people as they were as students and in their 20s, and the events, philosophies, relationships and inner demons that contributed to their current behaviour. ISBN: 9781760113391. Our Book No: 28949. $20 AUD.
91. Smith, Vivian (1956). The Other Meaning (1st ed). Sydney: Edwards & Shaw / Lyre-bird Writers and the Commonwealth Literary Fund. 34 pp. Paperback trade, dual covers, very good condition, minor edgewear His first book of poetry. He was a long time professor at the University of Sydney, until retirement in the 2000s. He has been an advocate of Australian literature and many individual Australian writers. Our Book No: 40124. $30 AUD.
92. Solbrig, Otto T.; Solbrig, Dorothy (1994). So Shall You Reap: Farming and Crops in Human Affairs (1st ed). Washington, DC: Island Press. 284 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white drawings, tables, printed on recycled acid-free paper, minimal edgewear. This book is about how farming evolved - when and how people learned to irrigate, to fertilize, and to rotate crops. A fascinating book for anyone interested in agricultural history and the environment. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 1559633093. Our Book No: 21082. $10 AUD.
93. Survey Corps, Royal Australian (1966). Map: Australia 1:100,000 Series (4 maps: Helenvale, Jedda Creek, Cooktown, Mount Mulgrave). Canberra: Royal Australian Survey Corps. N/a pp. Each map: Ephemera, large format folded map, very good condition, colour drawing, some light toning, minor edgewear. Topographical maps of four regions, northern Queensland: Helenvale (dated 1966), Jedda Creek (1978), Cooktown (1966), Mount Mulgrave (1979). Our Book No: 4493. $40 AUD.
94. Survey Corps, Royal Australian (1967). Map: Australia 1:250,000 Series (4 maps: Hann River, Walsh, Cooktown, Mossman). Canberra: Royal Australian Survey Corps. N/a pp. Each map: Ephemera, large format folded map, very good condition, colour drawing, some toning (2 maps), minor edgewear. Topographical maps of four regions, northern Queensland: Hann River (dated 1959), Walsh (1962), Cooktown (1965), Mossman (1967). Our Book No: 4493. $40 AUD.
95. Treloar, Bruce (1984). Kim (1st p/b ed). Sydney: Fontana Picture Lions / Collins. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback oblong octavo, card covers, very good condition, colour drawings, minor edgewear. A children's picture story about a young girl living with her grandmother on an island in the South Pacific Ocean. The large colourful illustrations make her adventures seen very real. Text and illustrations by Treloar. ISBN: 000662040X. Our Book No: 19968. $10 AUD.
96. Turner, Ethel (1955). The Family at Misrule. London & Melbourne: Ward, Lock. 192 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, good condition (in good dustjacket), blue cloth cover marked (tide mark bottom corner front cover), tide marks bottom edge reverse side jacket, some edgewear. Novel for young adults, originally published in 1895. It is a sequel to Seven Little Australians. Five years later, we find Meg, the eldest daughter helping her step-mother look after a larger family, including new baby Esther. (Estimated date, 1955, Burnet 3.17 variant. Printed by Northumberland Press, blurb only on front flap, with 900 1500 at the base.). Our Book No: 17654. $15 AUD.
97. Tweed, Newspaper (1960). Tourist and Mileage Road Map: Maroochydore, Mooloolaba, Mileage to Brisbane, Nambour, Rockhampton. [Queensland]: Publisher Not Stated / Tweed Newspaper print. 4 pp. Ephemera small trade, folded once, good condition, black & white photos, light foxing & toning, minor edgewear, few tiny holes at fold. This tourist souvenir has a location map with local business advertisements on one page and the other page has seven black & white camera photo studies. (Estimated date, 1960. The original price states 6d which suggests prior to 1966, and there is a rubber stamp from New Middy’s Store ’79 which suggests it could have been bought as a pre-loved souvenir. Our Book No: 40116. $10 AUD.
98. Webb, Francis; Meere, Peter (compiler) (2001). Francis Wedd : Poet and Brother: Some of His Letters and Poetry (1st ed). Pomona, QLD: P. V. Meere / Sage Old Books. 301 pp. Paperback large thick quarto, very good condition, flexible front cover (with glasine), card rear cover & spine, frontispiece, two black & white photos, few light marks edges, top corner front cover slightly creased, minor edgewear. Heavy (1.0 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. The principal author of this fascinating book is Francis Webb. About eighty-five percent of the words in the body of the text are his. The letters and poems were written over a period of thirty years from 1943 to 1973. The compilers have added linking material, information about place and time, and background material when needed. This book is to let Frank Webb, the man and the brother, speak of his life and times through his letters to his family. The core of the book comprises the texts of 56 letters written by Frank to his sisters and brothers-in-law- hence the title of the book. ISBN: 0957906609. Our Book No: 40128. $80 AUD.
99. White, W. L. (1943). They Were Expendable (Australian ed). Melbourne: George Jaboor. 128 pp. Hardcover small, no jacket, good condition, dark burgundy boards, spine & cover edges lightly faded, covers lightly rubbed, tiny bump bottom edge front cover, pages toned, owner's written name & date. The story of the American Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron, including the American retreat from the Philippines. The men who spoke to the author were involved in the campaigns in the Philippines, and in this little book they give their own personal narratives of their experiences. Our Book No: 40105. $15 AUD.
100. Whitington, R. S. (1964). Bradman, Benaud and Goddard's Cinderellas (1st ed). Adelaide: Rigby. 237 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white photos, closed edge tears jacket (top spine jacket rubbed, corners scuffed & chipped, lightly rubbed), minor edgewear. The author pulls no punches in this candid picture of a memorable tour. He accompanied the Springboks on their recent tour of Australasia. He gives a vivid picture of Don Bradman and Richie Benaud. A great book for any lover of cricket. Our Book No: 30211. $30 AUD.
101. Williams, Sue; Maguire, Father Bob (2013). Father Bob: The Larrikin Priest (1st ed). Melbourne: Penguin Group Australia. 347 pp. Paperback octavo, good plus condition, black & white & colour & sepia (brown-tinted) photos, front cover creased, faint foxing edges few pages, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This is the story of Father Bob Maguire, the Melbourne Catholic priest. The enigmatic champion of the down-and-out was shaped by a lonely childhood in poor circumstances, an early priesthood that collided with the upheaval of Vatican 2, and working with the army during the Vietnam War. Father Bob is a resilient social activist and popular media performer who refuses to be defeated by enforced retirement from the parish over which he presided for nearly 40 years. ISBN: 9781921901317. Our Book No: 30214. $15 AUD.
102. Windsor, Stuart; Jones, Graham (2011). God's Adventurer: The Story of Stuart Windsor and the Persecuted Church (1st ed). Oxford: Monarch Books. 286 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, colour & black & white photos, spine lightly faded, base spine little rubbed, minor edgewear corners. His story of his life in the RAF, British Intelligence, and now as an Assemblies of God pastor. A former Barnardo's boy, he has been involved in many adventures as he sought out and helped many of the heroes of today's persecuted church. ISBN: 9781854249999. Our Book No: 30206. $15 AUD.
103. Witts, Michael; Mitchell, Jenni (cover art) (1982). Dumb Music (1st ed) [Fling Poets Series]. Melbourne, Eltham: Fling Poetry. 64 pp. Paperback trade, good plus condition, illustrated cover, author photo rear cover, covers slightly foxed & toned, light foxing & creases spine, pages lightly toned, edges slightly foxed, old price mark front cover. The author was born in Wales in 1953 and has lived in Australia since 1959. He was one of the editors of Dodo magazine and has published two earlier collections of poetry: Sirens (1977) and South (1979). (No 1 in this series.). ISBN: 0959433252. Our Book No: 40131. $25 AUD.
104. Wright, Arthur, F. (editor) (1985). Confucianism and Chinese civilization (Reissue, reprint ed). Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. 368 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear. This selection of essays about Confucianism was initially published in 1964, and is reissued here. The essays were selected from three previous volumes: Confucianism in Action (1959), The Confucian Persuasion (1960) and Confucian Personalities (1962). ISBN: 0804708916. Our Book No: 3016. $15 AUD.
105. Wright, Judith (1989). Selected Poems: Five Senses [A&R Modern Poets]. Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 192 pp. Paperback, good plus condition, pages toned as common (endpapers very toned), minor edgewear, autograph (author's written name). The well-respected Australian poet provides a selection of her best poetry spanning her career, which helps to observe her development. Includes selection from "The Other Half" and "Collected Poems 1942-1970". ISBN: 0207133018. Our Book No: 4478. $10 AUD.
106. Y. M. C. A., Hotel Windsor (1918). British Australian New Zealand Xmas Dinner 1918 Menu cards (2 cards) (1st ed). Paris: Schmidlin, Gr. 9, Rue Vignon. 4 pp. Each card: Ephemera small thin card, folded once, gilt edges, very good condition, minor edgewear, light toning, light foxing, tiny piece missing top edge one card, small mark one card. These two small cards are the menus for Christmas Dinner at the Y. M. C. A. Hotel Windsor, Paris. The menus are the same on both cards. The menus are mostly in French with a few words in English. One card has the name Lucie E Boyd hand written on it, the other card is slightly smudged and hard to read, the name is possibly Frank Wright Tic-Toc. Our Book No: 40121. $20 AUD.
107. Yunus, Muhammad (2007). Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism (Reprint ed). New York: Public Affairs. 282 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear, edges & pages lightly toned. An inspiring book in which Yunus goes beyond his microcredit revolution. He pioneers the idea of social business which is a completely new way to use the creative vibrancy of business to solve social problems from poverty to pollution to inadequate health care and lack of education. ISBN: 9781586486679. Our Book No: 30224. $15 AUD.