INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
(Located in Australia):
BOOKS FOR SALE: RECENT ACQUISITIONS JULY 2019
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. Adams, L.; Adams, G.; Olive, Barry (illustrator) (1979). How Echidna Got His Quills (1st ed) [SRA Australian Legend Series]. Sydney: Science Research Associates (SRA). Unnum 24 pp. Hardback small quarto, pictorial cover, very good condition, colour drawings (many double-page), minor edgewear. A children's picture story based on Aboriginal mythology. In the beginning when animals are given their attributes, echidna receives nothing, and to save himself from predators he seeks out the Great One who still has nothing to give but some old bones. The bright sketches will delight children of all ages. A great book to add to the collection for someone who has the other books in this wonderful series. (This copy, ISBN apparently incorrectly printed as 0574282041.). ISBN: 0574282033. Our Book No: 2255. $30 AUD.
2. Anonymous (1955). Postcard: Dachshund Puppy Wearing a Red Cap. City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated. N/A pp. Postcard oblong, colour picture one side, crease top edge, no written text on rear side, minor edgewear. Postcard oblong, colour photo. This beautiful Dachshund is very life-like with large brown eyes. The dachshund came from Egypt, but however ihas become the national dog of Germany. (Broadly estimated date, 1950s.). Our Book No: 40191. $10 AUD.
3. Auld, Eileen Moya (2008). Suffer Little Children to Come Unto Me. [Singleton, NSW]: Eileen Moya Auld. 131 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good condition, colour drawings, colour & black & white & sepia (brown-tinted) photos, spine ends little scuffed, minor edgewear. The author writes about her childhood and the abuse she suffered at the hands of her grandfather, and the problems that come with growing up with alcoholic parents in rural New South Wales. The story is written with warmth and a sense of humour which has helped her cope with a very hard childhood. The illustrations help her to tell this very difficult autobiography. ISBN: 9780646507552. Our Book No: 40207. $30 AUD.
4. Bacal, Robert (2005). Perfect Phrases for Customer Service: Hundreds of Tools, Techniques, and Scripts for Handling Any Situation (1st, reprint ed). New York: McGraw Hill. 222 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, spine little creased, minor edgewear corners. This book provides solutions for everyday customer service situations for your business. ISBN: 007144453X. Our Book No: 25090. $10 AUD.
5. Barlow, Wilfred (1990). The Alexander Technique: How to Use Your Body without Stress (Revised ed). Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press. 237 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few figures, minor edgewear & rubbing. Revised edition. The Alexander Technique, a revolutionary method of bodywork pioneered by the late Australian F. M. Alexander, provides the key to successful body dynamics. Now, in this updated and revised edition, the British physician and a practitioner of the Alexander technique for 40 years, provides a classic guide to every aspect of the technique. ISBN: 0892813857. Our Book No: 4533. $13 AUD.
6. Base, Graeme (1997). The Eleventh Hour: A Curious Mystery (New ed). Melbourne: Viking / Penguin Books Australia. Unnum 32 pp. Hardback large quarto, very good plus condition, pictorial cover, colour drawings, minimal edgewear. Prize-winning children's A-Z fantasy picture book, with text as poetry, about familiar animals in unusual situations. Sealed section intact and unopened at rear. ISBN: 0670879150. Our Book No: 17696. $15 AUD.
7. Beck, Aaron T. (2012). Prisoners of Hate: The Cognitive Basis of Anger, Hostility, and Violence (Modern reprint ed). New York: Harper Perennial / HarperCollins. 354 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. The world-renowned psychiatrist, widely hailed as the father of cognitive therapy, presents a revolutionary and eye-opening look at destructive behaviour - domestic abuse, bigotry, genocide, war. All these share patterns of distorted thinking in common with everyday frustrations in out lives. Provides a blueprint for correcting warped thinking and belief systems and, consequently, undercutting various forms of hate. ISBN: 9780060932008. Our Book No: 17691. $18 AUD.
8. Best, Elsdon (1954). Some Aspects of Maori Myth and Religion (New ed) [Dominion Museum Monograph]. Wellington: R. E. Owen, Government Printer. 43 pp. Paperback octavo, good condition, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), few black & white photos, few pages notably toned & foxed, edges little foxed, minor edgewear. This is a new edition of this classic text on Maori myth and religion, originally published in 1922. The text has not been changed. But the font is larger, which explains the increased number of pages. Our Book No: 15155. $10 AUD.
9. bin Mohamad, Mahathir (1982). The Malay Dilemma. Kuala Lumpur: Federal Publications. 128 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. This controversial bestselling book describes how Malays view their own country in which about 50% of the population are immigrants from China and India, and whom have become more prosperous at the expense of the Malays. Originally published in 1970, this book is the best-known treatise in Malaysian politics. It greatly enhanced Mahathir's political career, and he eventually became the longest serving Malaysian prime minister from 1981 and 2003, and again in 2018. Our Book No: 17694. $25 AUD.
10. Brennan, John (2014). Brenno: The Life and Times of a Media Godfather. London: New Holland. 320 pp. Hardback thick octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), sepia (brown-tinted) & colour photos, minor edgewear jacket, spine ends little rubbed. This book is the story of an amazing life and influential career. Brenno spent more than 60 years in the radio industry - first as an on-air announcer in Country NSW, then as a ground-breaking Top 40 DJ at 2SM at the height of the rock and roll era. A flawless sports broadcaster on TV and radio in the 1970s and 1980s, he was later the program director behind talkback radio at No. 1 stations 2UE and 2GB in the 1990s and 2000s. He tells his story in an engaging and conversational style, outlining the the secrets of his success. There are breakout chapters from many of his contemporaries who highlight his wonderful achievements. The many photos include Bob Rogers, Alan Jones, Tom Jones, Abba, Petula Clark, Ray Martin, Jeff Harvey, and the Seekers. ISBN: 9781742575728. Our Book No: 30343. $30 AUD.
11. Brown, Helen (2018). Bono: The Rescue Cat who Helped Me Find My Way Home (1st ed). Sydney: HarperCollins. 303 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minimal edgewear corner tips. This is a warm and often funny book about love, life and recovery. It's also a book about a very special rock-star rescue cat with a big heart that Helen was enticed to adopt upon coming to live in New York. By the author of "Cleo”, and based on her Huffington Post blog. ISBN: 9780733338045. Our Book No: 40193. $20 AUD.
12. Bruce, Mary Grant; Ker Wilson, Barbara (afterword) (1992). A Little Bush Maid (Revised ed) [Bluegum Classic / Billabong Book 1]. Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 244 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear (mostly fore-edge). Billabong, a large cattle and sheep property in the Australian countryside, is home to 12-year-old Norah Linton, her widowed father, David and her elder brother, Jim. This is the first book in the popular Billabong books for young adults, originally published in 1910. This revision removes a few paragraphs now considered racist. ISBN: 0207175098. Our Book No: 2617. $10 AUD.
13. Chang, Jenevieve (2017). The Good Girl of Chinatown (1st ed). Sydney: Viking / Penguin Books. 278 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear corner tips. This memoir of a Chinese-Australian lady, whose family is from Shanghai, weaves multiple narratives across three generations and continents. It is a story about the roles we choose to play and the boundaries we choose to cross. It is a non-fiction story about family and the ways that we try to be good but sometimes fail to be good for them. ISBN: 9780670078516. Our Book No: 30352. $18 AUD.
14. Clune, Frank (1965). Bound for Botany Bay: Narrative of a Voyage in 1798 Aboard the Death Ship Hillsborough (Reprint ed). Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 203 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos (plates), illustrated endpapers, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear jacket (front flap sticker mark & clipped, minimal chipping & creasing). The story of the convict transport Hillsborough that left Portsmouth for New South Wales in 1798, with 300 convicts aboard, but about 100 died on the voyage. Based on the diary of convict William Noah. Also records the careers of some of the convicts who became well known in Sydney and married into prominent families. Our Book No: 25005. $30 AUD.
15. Coetzee, J. M. (2009). Disgrace: What Is a Mad Heart? (New ed). London: Vintage. 219 pp. Paperback small trade, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This novel is about a man named David Lurie who has spent years teaching romantic poetry at the technical University of Cape Town. Middle aged and twice divorced, he has an affair with a student. The affair turns sour - he is denounced and summoned before a committee of inquiry. He refuses to repent publicly, and resigns and retreats to his daughter Lucy’s isolated farm. He and Lucy become victims of a savage and disturbing attack which brings into relief all the faultlines in their relationship. ISBN: 9780099526834. Our Book No: 40203. $15 AUD.
16. Coleman, Claire G. (2017). Terra Nullius: A Novel (1st ed). Sydney: Hachette. 294 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear corner tips. Historical novel set in early colonial australia. The natives of the colony were restless. The settlers are eager to have a nation of peace. Families are torn apart, re-education is enforced. This rich land will provide for all. The author, identifies with the South Coast Nyoongar people. Winner of the Black&write Fellowship 2016. ISBN: 9780733638312. Our Book No: 40199. $18 AUD.
17. Colvin, Mark (2016). Light and Shadow: Memoirs of a Spy's Son (Reprint ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 304 pp. Paperback octavo, good plus condition, black & white photos centre spread, corner tips covers creased, some edgewear corners. Mark Colvin (1952 - 2017) was a broadcasting legend. He was the voice of ABC Radio's leading current affairs program PM. He was a founding broadcaster for the groundbreaking youth station Double J. He initiated The World Today program, and he's one of the most popular and influential journalists in the twittersphere. Mark has been covering local and global events for more than four decades. In the midst of all this he discovered that his father was an MI6 spy: the incredible story of a father waging a secret war against communism during the Cold War. But when he contracted a life-threatening illness while working in the field, his life changed forever, involving organ donation. ISBN: 9780522870893. Our Book No: 17634. $15 AUD.
18. Cook, Thomas (1896). Days of God's Right Hand: Our Mission Tour in Australasia and Ceylon. London: Charles H. Kelly. 327 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket as issued, good condition, burgundy cloth cover (gilt & black lettering, little flecked), black & white plates, spine little slack, inner hinge split (pages firm), edges little foxed, rear free flyleaf torn at base, some edgewear. Travels by the British Wesleyan Methodist minister (1859 - 1912) regarding missionary work in Australia, New Zealand and Ceylon. (Not the Thomas Cook of the travel company.) With numerous illustrations. Our Book No: 17657. $20 AUD.
19. Cooper, H. M. (1952). Australian Aboriginal Words: 2000 Examples and Their Meanings (2nd revised & enlarged ed). Adelaide: South Australian Museum. 40 pp. Paperback wide octavo, good condition, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), some creasing (mainly bottom corner covers & pages), rear cover little foxed, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This booklet has a selection of 3,000 Australian Aboriginal words and their equivalents - as closely as possible - in English. These may be of interest to the general reader and, in addition, offer a means of providing names for private homes, properties, institutions, streets, boats, ships and commercial products. This booklet is a guide for general use and should not be considered as purely scientific. Our Book No: 29241. $10 AUD.
20. Crittenden, Victor; Bennet, Arthur (illustrator) (1982). An Autumn Visit: Historic Gardens in Sydney and the Blue Mountains. Canberra: Mulini Press. 48 pp. Paperback small quarto (with flaps), very good condition, thin pictorial card covers (little faded near top spine), drawings (including frontispiece), minor edgewear. This booklet describes the visits in May 1981 to historic gardens at Mount Wilson and a few other gardens in the Sydney area, as part of the Australian Garden History Society's annual conference. Includes biographical notes on the people who planned and constructed the gardens. (Edition limited to 650 copies.) ISBN: 0949910074. Our Book No: 29722. $18 AUD.
21. Durer, Albrecht (1963). Postcard: Albrecht Durer: The Hare (Albertina, Vienna) (Reprint ed) [No P.C.708]. London: Medici Society Ltd. N/A pp. Postcard oblong, brown & cream picture, some light toning, no written text on rear side, one corner tip little creased, minor edgewear. The date 1502 is printed under the Hare. Albrecht Durer (1471 - 1528), born in Nuremberg., was probably the greatest painter of the German School. Worked in Venice for two years with Giorgione and Titian. Famous not only for paintings but also for his engravings, woodcuts and drawings. This postcard has been published in London. (Estimated date, 1963, other listings.). Our Book No: 40186. $15 AUD.
22. Ferguson, Ruby; Caney, illustrator (1953). A Paintbox for Pauline (1st ed). London: Hodder & Stoughton. 160 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, good condition (in good dustjacket), full-page black & white illustrations, drawing front board, reverse side jacket lightly toned (small edge tears, slight loss base spine, little rubbed), edges foxed, light foxing some pages, endpapers lightly toned & foxed, top corners front cover little bumped. A charming story for young adults about four sisters who decide not to go with their parents to their usual holiday hotel. Each sister did something different, and when Pauline (who went painting in Wales), returned and wrote a book about their diverse adventures. Our Book No: 40200. $20 AUD.
23. Frame, T. R. (Tom) (1990). The Garden Island. Sydney: Kangaroo Press. 240 pp. Paperback large trade, very good condition, black & white photos, maps, appendices, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. The story of this historic island in Sydney Harbour, formerly used as a naval dockyard. It was the original home of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) from 1911. ISBN: 0864173555. Our Book No: 2575. $20 AUD.
24. Garner, Helen (2016). Everywhere I Look. Melbourne: Text Publishing. 229 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good condition, minor edgewear corner tips front cover. This book is a collection of essays, diary entries and true stories covering more than 15 years of the life of the Australian writer. ISBN: 9781925355369. Our Book No: 30350. $18 AUD.
25. Gill, Alan (1997). Orphans of the Empire: The Shocking Story of Child Migration to Australia (1st ed). Sydney: Millennium Books. 701 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, bottom corner rear cover creased, minor edgewear. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. First edition. The story of how thousands of destitute children were shipped from Britain to Australia. The child migrants suffered horrific abuse in the supposed care of their guardians in both countries. ISBN: 1864290625. Our Book No: 3498. $40 AUD.
26. Gleeson, Irene; Partridge, Nicole (with) (2014). Heart of a Lioness: The True Story of Mama Irene (Reprint ed). Franklin, TN: Authentic Publishers. 317 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, colour photos & few sepia (brown-tinted), pages faintly toned, minimal edgewear. This is the story of a mother and grandmother working tirelessly in the slums of Kitgum, Uganda. Affirming and inspiring, her story is about resilience and renewal in the face of poverty and death. Over 22 years, Irene rescued more than 20,000 traumatised children, providing them with free education, food, and medicine. Along the way, she earned the love and respect of the locals, who called her "Mama Irene". Irene died in 2013 after a courageous battle with cancer. Today, the staff of the Irene Gleeson Foundation educate, medicate and feed thousands of children, helping them achieve their full potential. ISBN: 9781780780474. Our Book No: 40184. $18 AUD.
27. Golinwski, Jan (2005). Making Natural Knowledge: Constructivism and the History of Science: With a New Preface (New ed). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 236 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, figures, corner tips front cover lightly creased, faint foxing edges, minor edgewear. An introduction to constructivism, a research paradigm that has dominated the history of science for the past 40 years. Reflects on the importance of this theory, tells the history of its rise to prominence, and traces its most important tensions. This book shows new light on the relations between science and other cultural domains. ISBN: 0226302318. Our Book No: 30339. $40 AUD.
28. Goodall, Gladys M. (No Date). Postcard: Kiwi and Egg, Stewart Island, New Zealand [Colourchrome Series W.T.677]. City Not Stated: Felicity Card Co. / Whitcoulls Ltd (Printer). N/A pp. Postcard Oblong colour picture one side, minor edgewear, no text. Postcard with a kiwi and an egg on the front side. The rear side has a full description of the kiwi shown in the photo. This kiwi is the Stewart Island Kiwi (Apteryx lawryi), the largest of the species. Our Book No: 40188. $10 AUD.
29. Goodrick-Clarke, Claire; Goodrick-Clarke, Nicholas (2005). G. R. S. Mead and the Gnostic Quest (1st ed) [Western Esoteric Masters Series]. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books. 236 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few tiny marks fore-edge, minor edgewear. This book combines a substantial biography on G. R. S. Mead with an annotated anthology of his most important writings, which give the reader both a contextualizing overview and representative samples from Meads's large amount of work. Mead was a leading theosophist and founder of the Quest Society. His works dealt mainly with the Hermetic and Gnostic religions, and which significantly influenced Carl Jung. ISBN: 155643572X. Our Book No: 30347. $30 AUD.
30. Gulino, Paul Joseph (2012). Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach: The Hidden Structure of Successful Screenplays (Reprint ed). New York: Continuum International Publishing. 230 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition, few black & white text-photos, corner rear cover faintly creased, minimal edgewear. This concise, book explains the Sequence Approach to a wide audience for the first time, introducing the concept and then providing a sequence analysis of eleven significant feature films made between 1940 and 2001. ISBN: 9780826415684. Our Book No: 28532. $25 AUD.
31. Haigh, Gideon (2006). The Summer Game: Cricket and Australia in the 50s and 60s (Revised & updated ed). Sydney: Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC). 342 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, slight bump top edge, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear corner tips. This book is a biography of Australian cricket in the 1950s and 1960s. It starts with the departure of one epoch-making Australian captain, Bradman, at the zenith of the Test match. It ends with the appointment of another, Ian Chappell, in the summer of the inaugural one-day international. Includes the stories of some of our greatest cricketers: Richie Benaud, Keith Miller, Ray Lindwall, Neil Harvey, Bob Simpson, Bill Lawry and Alan Davidson. ISBN: 9780733320033. Our Book No: 40195. $30 AUD.
32. Hale, Kathleen (1990). Orlando: The Marmalade Cat: A Camping Holiday (Revised, reprint ed). London: Frederick Warne / Penguin Books. 279 pp. Hardback folio (very large format), dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), colour drawings, minor edgewear, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. Revised edition (originally published 1938.) The first book in a series about Orlando, the famous marmalade cat. He and Grace, his tabby wife, have three kittens - Pansy, Blanche and Tinkle. Orlando and family go off on a camping trip where the kittens learn to swim, paint pictures of the scenery, and enjoy sleeping and playing under the stars. ISBN: 0723236488. Our Book No: 17681. $30 AUD.
33. Holthouse, Hector (1991). The Australian Geographic Book of Cape York (1st ed). Sydney, Terrey Hills: Australian Geographic. 161 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, very good condition, maps (including lift-out), colour text-photos (some full-page), minor edgewear, owner's written name. First edition. This book is a comprehensive guide to Cape York Peninsula, one of Australia's last great wilderness areas. There are more than 200 photos, and a dozen maps, together with a large lift-out (loosely inserted) poster-map of the peninsula. ISBN: 1862760020. Our Book No: 25114. $20 AUD.
34. Hulme, Mike (Michael) (2010). Why We Disagree About Climate Change: Understanding Controversy, Inaction and Opportunity (Reprint ed). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (CUP). 392 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear corner tips, top corner few pages folded, some pencil annotation. Climate change is not 'a problem' waiting for 'a solution'. It is an environmental, cultural and political phenomenon which is re-shaping the way we think about ourselves, our societies and humanity's place on Earth. Drawing upon 25 years of professional work as an international climate change scientist and public commentator, Mike Hulme provides a unique insider's account of the emergence of this phenomenon and the diverse ways in which it is understood. He uses different standpoints from science, economics, faith, psychology, communication, sociology, politics and development to explain why we disagree about climate change. In this way he shows that climate change, far from being simply an 'issue' or a 'threat', can act as a catalyst to revise our perception of our place in the world. An important contribution to the ongoing debate over climate change and its likely impact on our lives. ISBN: 9780521898690. Our Book No: 16849. $25 AUD.
35. Hurley, Frank; Hoade, Father Eugene (introduction) (1949). The Holy City: A Camera Study of Jerusalem and Its Borderlands (1st ed) [[Jerusalem: The Holy City: A Camera Study of Jerusalem and Its Surroundings]]. Sydney: Angus & Robertson. Unnum (abt 200) pp. Hardback quarto, two dustjackets, very good condition (in good condition jacket), black & white full-page photos, few full-page colour photos, endpaper maps, red top edge, light foxing edges, light foxing & marking boards, some edge tears & chipping jackets, light foxing reverse side jacket 2 (creased, flap clipped), tiny tear front endpaper near spine, some edgewear. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This beautiful book of photos presents the Holy City - old Jerusalem. Within the walls, city life has gone on almost unchanged for centuries, while outside has sprung up the modern Jerusalem, a place of cafes and cinemas, of commercialism and noisy life. The Australian photographer Frank Hurley was official photographer to the British Ministry of Information in the Middle East, when he took these photos. Father Eugene Hoade, from his special knowledge of the Holy Places, contributes an interesting and valuable introduction. Frank Hurley's photographic studies will appeal to people of all creeds and denominations and they will have special interest for those people who served or are serving with the forces in the Middle East, and for their friends and family. (A scarce copy with two dustjackets. Jacket 1 has a white background behind a building, is titled The Holy City, with "surroundings" in the subtitle. Jacket 2 has a purple band at top, a panorama, a portrait possibly of Father Hoade, is titled Jerusalem The Holy City, and lacks a subtitle.). Our Book No: 30349. $60 AUD.
36. Hutton, Drew; Connors, Libby (1999). A History of the Australian Environmental Movement (Reprint ed). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (CUP). 324 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos centre spread, minor edgewear corners. A unique and important study by two academics from Queensland. They trace the environmental movement in Australia from the first visionaries who pushed to preserve our native fauna, and to improve sanitation in our cities - to the modern mass social movement (for example, Lake Pedder, Kakadu, Fraser Island). ISBN: 052145686X. Our Book No: 2662. $30 AUD.
37. Irvine, Susan; Griffiths, Simon (photographer) (2003). The Garden at Forest Hall (1st p/b ed). Melbourne, Camberwell: Viking / Penguin Books. 268 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, card covers, colour photos (mostly full-page), minor edgewear. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. The old house at Forest Hall, near Launceston, Tasmania, was almost derelict: the garden beneath the blackberry could only be guessed at. This is the story of a special place and a special island. The author's memoir is as personal and engrossing as the garden she builds. Rose lovers will appreciate the depth of knowledge Susan Irvine imparts with such passion, and garden lovers will be inspired by the grand garden design captured in the atmospheric photography of Simon Griffiths. ISBN: 0670041408. Our Book No: 22289. $30 AUD.
38. Ivanoff, George; Wood, Ben (illustrator) (2017). Meet: The Flying Doctors (New ed) [Meet Series]. Sydney: Penguin Random House Australia. Unnum 28 pp. Paperback oblong small quarto, card covers, very good plus condition, colour drawings (some full-page), minor edgewear. This is the story of The Royal Flying Doctor Service which provides emergency and primary health care across outback Australia. Explains how the life-saving service was created and grew to become an Australian icon. The illustrations will appeal to all ages. ISBN: 9780143780670. Our Book No: 40192. $15 AUD.
39. Ivory, Lesley Anne (1991). Cats in the Sun (1st ed). London: Collins. Unnum 24 pp. Hardback oblong quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), pictorial cover, pictorial endpapers, colour drawings (some full-page), minor edgewear. Cat lovers will love this delightful book with the bright artistic sketches and happy stories, by the well-known English illustrator. The author tells one story about her visit to Africa where she saw two nests of kittens at a cafe; she visited daily for a week to see how they were going, the owner said "she could have one kitten, no problem!" "Oh yes, there is a problem," said her husband. "She already has twelve at home"! ISBN: 0001913921. Our Book No: 2502. $15 AUD.
40. Keen, Ian (editor) (1994). Being Black: Aboriginal Cultures in Settled Australia. Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press. 273 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, bottom corner front cover little creased, spine faintly faded as common, minor edgewear. Reports anthropological studies of how Aboriginal people of mixed descent have retained their Aboriginal identity (culture) although living within white communities, despite losing obvious markers such as Aboriginal language and ceremonies. ISBN: 0855751851. Our Book No: 10405. $20 AUD.
41. Keene, Carolyn (2006). The Secret of the Old Clock (New, reprint ed) [Nancy Drew Series]. New York: Grosset & Dunlap. 180 pp. Hardback small, very good condition, pictorial cover, black & white drawings, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Crime fiction for young adults. Nancy Drew is excited to become involved in her first mystery which is centered around an old clock . (No 1 in this series.). ISBN: 0448095017. Our Book No: 40201. $12 AUD.
42. Kelsang Gyatso, Geshe (1999). Guide to Dakini Land: The Highest Yoga Tantra Practice of Buddha Vajrayogini (Revised, reprint ed). London: Tharpa Publications. 532 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few drawings, few light scratches rear cover, faint foxing edges, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear corners. This book is the first complete explanation in English of the Tantric practice of Vajrayogini, the female Buddha of wisdom. Detailed instructions on the eleven yogas of the generation stage, which are special methods for transforming all our daily activities into a blissful spiritual path. He also explains very clearly the essential completion stage practices of Vajrayogini that lead to full enlightenment. ISBN: 0948006390. Our Book No: 30338. $25 AUD.
43. Kent, Hannah (2016). The Good People (1st ed). Sydney: Picador / Pan Macmillan Australia. 386 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear. This novel is by an Australian author who wrote "Burial Rites" set in Iceland. This novel is set in Ireland in 1825, in a remote valley between the mountains of south-west Ireland, near the Flesk river of Killarney. Three women are brought together by strange and troubling events centered around a four-year-old boy named Michael who cannot walk, or speak ISBN: 9781743534908. Our Book No: 40194. $18 AUD.
44. Kent, Jacqueline (2002). A Certain Style: Beatrice Davis: A Literary Life. Melbourne: Penguin Books. 349 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos centre spread, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. This book is about Beatrice Davis, 1909 - 1992, who was Australia's most acclaimed book editor, the 'backroom girl of Australian literature'. As general editor at Angus & Robertson from the late thirties to the early seventies, she nurtured the talents of a host of well-known writers. In the course of her outstanding career Beatrice Davis saw Australian publishing change from a genteel pursuit to a market-dominated industry. The book also tells the story of that change, illustrated by the decline and fall of Beatrice's beloved Angus & Robertson, for almost a century Australia's premier publishing house. The author portrays a woman whose passion for living was as great as her passion for Australian literature. ISBN: 0143000675. Our Book No: 27380. $12 AUD.
45. Ker Wilson, Barbara; Fielding, David (illustrator) (1988). Acacia Terrace (1st ed). Gosford, NSW: Ashton Scholastic. Unnum 34 pp. Hardback oblong small quarto, dustjacket (with flaps all sides), pictorial cover (inlaid colour drawing), decorative endpapers, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), full-page colour drawings, minor edgewear (mainly top edge). First edition. This beautiful inspiring children’s picture book tells a story of an typical corner of Sydney, a terrace of houses built in the 1860s, and the people who lived there, then and later, set against the background of an ever changing world. It is part of the larger history of Australia, from goldrush days of canvas towns, to our modern cityscapes of fast freeways and high-rise buildings. A wonderful book to add to any literature collection. Suitable for older readers and adults with an interest in Australian history. ISBN: 0868963496. Our Book No: 27395. $15 AUD.
46. Lassetters; Hutton, Peter (introduction) (1977). Australia in the Good Old Days: Facsimile Pages from Lassetters' Commercial Review, no 26, 1911 (An Edwardian Catalogue: Everything Solid Value) (Reprint ed). Sydney: Ure Smith. 264 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, decorative cloth cover, good plus condition (in good plus jacket), many black & white drawings, spine faded jacket as common, edges little foxed, minor edgewear, owner's rubber stamps (including title page & edges). Heavy (1.1 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Reproduction of part of a catalogue produced by Lassetter's, a largest Sydney department store (F. Lassetter & Co.), showing a fascinating selection of Edwardian goods for sale. Lasseters was famous for its 1000-page catalogues distributed widely throughout Australia, which today provides a valuable guide to Edwardian Australia. ISBN: 0725403365. Our Book No: 8233. $30 AUD.
47. Leigh, Andrew (2015). The Luck of Politics: True Tales of Disaster and Outrageous Fortune Melbourne: Black Inc. 228 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition. Leigh is a former professor of economics at ANU, and the federal Labor member for Fraser He weaves together fascinating facts and intriguing findings to show how luck can change the course of political events. A fascinating look at chance, the covert kingmaker in politics. For example, John Howard missed out on winning the NSW state seat of Drummoyne by just 420 votes. Howard reflects how fortunate he lost. It left him free to stand for a safe federal seat in 1974 and become a long-serving Australian prime minister. Why is politics more like poker than chess? Does the length of your surname affect your political prospects? What about your gender? From Winston Churchill to George Bush, Margaret Thatcher to Paul Keating, this book will persuade you that luck shapes politics. ISBN: 9781863957557. Our Book No: 17679. $15 AUD.
48. Mallinson, Julie (2017). A Pearl from Ashes: Abandoned, Unloved and Left for Dead: This Remarkable Story will Inspire You to Believe that Miracles do Come True. Sydney, Mona Vale: Ark House Press. 201 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. This is the story of Little Pearl who was found abandoned outside an internet cafe in central China in the spring of 2008. Pearl was admitted to an orphanage. Upon discovery she was infected with HIV, she was isolated and had no hope or future. The author is a missionary who was living abroad and how, amidst the fears and cultural challenges, she and her family were able to bring Little Pearl to Australia to start a new life. ISBN: 9780987583949. Our Book No: 30346. $16 AUD.
49. Manning, Paddy (2015). Born to Rule: The Unauthorised Biography of Malcolm Turnbull (1st ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 442 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos centre spread, minimal edgewear jacket, base spine little rubbed. An unauthorised biograhy that looks at the many layers of businessman and politician Malcolm Turnbull. Based on interviews and long research, it is a forensic investigation into one of Australia’s most well-known politicians, who later became Prime Minister. ISBN: 9780522868807. Our Book No: 40198. $25 AUD.
50. Marshall, Tim (2003). Recycle Your Garden: The Essential Guide to Composting (1st ed). Sydney: ABC Books. 112 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good plus condition, colour photos, black & white drawings, minor edgewear. This book not only explores how composting works and outlines the multiple benefits for your garden, but it also shows how to build a foolproof heap and maintain it well. The author has been at the forefront of the Australian organic industry, as an innovative grower, inspector, trainer and writer. He contributes regularly to Gardening Australia magazine, and is based in South Australia. ISBN: 0733309844. Our Book No: 24052. $15 AUD.
51. McChesney, Robert W.; Nichols, John (2010). The Death and Life of American Journalism: The Media Revolution that Will Begin the World Again. Philadelphia, PA: Nation Books. 334 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), pages faintly toned, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve (Brodart). A leading American media academic and a journalist study the collapse of American newspapers and television newsrooms. The authors explain why it is not all caused by the new digital media, but stems from the hollowing out of journalism under corporate control, which has increased rapidly since the 1970s. A valuable detailed study of how to rejuvenate media in the modern world. ISBN: 9781568586052. Our Book No: 40209. $30 AUD.
52. McFarlane, Fiona (2014). The Night Guest (New ed). Melbourne: Penguin Group Australia. 275 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minimal edgewear. This novel by Australian writer is the story of Ruth who wakes thinking a tiger has been in her seaside house. Later that day a formidable woman called Frida arrives, saying she has come to care for Ruth. Frida and the tiger: both are here to stay, and neither is what they seem. Who can she trust? Winner of the NSW Premiers Literary Award 2014. ISBN: 9780143571339. Our Book No: 40196. $18 AUD.
53. McKnight, David (2018). Populism Now! The Case for Progressive Populism (1st ed). Sydney, Kensington: NewSouth / University of New South Wales Press. 200 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear, autograph (author's written dedication title page). Populism is currently seen as a dirty word, because of Brexit and the election of Donald Trump. However, it is better seen as a backlash against free market globalisation, that can be harnessed as a positive force in difficult times. This timely book exposes the failures of globalisation: greedy banks, predatory privatisation, corporate tax avoidance, and a growing underclass of temporary foreign workers. Progressive populism could address the genuine economic grievances of everyday people, without scapegoating immigrants or ethnic minorities, that is, it may be the best way to defeat the racist backlash of right-wing populism. ISBN: 9781742235639. Our Book No: 17695. $25 AUD.
54. McLeod, Rosslyn (2004). Up from Down Under: The Australian Origins of Frederick Matthias Alexander and the Alexander Technique. Melbourne, Canterbury: Council of Adult Education (Printer). 104 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, map, minimal edgewear. Australian music teacher and Alexander technique instructor tells the little-known story of Alexander’s early life in Australia (Tasmania, Melbourne, including a tour of New Zealand). ISBN: 0646195689. Our Book No: 17682. $30 AUD.
55. Meggitt, M. J.; Elkin, Prof. A. P. (introduction) (1962). Desert People: A Study of the Walbiri Aborigines of Central Australia (1st ed). Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 348 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, black & white text-photos, figures, tables, pages lightly toned, faint foxing edges. This is one of the few complete ethnographies of an Aboriginal tribe. This study of the Walbiri of Central Australia describes at first hand a way of life that was still, in the 1950s, largely autonomous. It deals with the tribe's history, contact with European settlers, relationships with neighbouring tribes, internal groupings and their economic, political and religious significance, family and kinship system, and sexual and educational practices. Our Book No: 30355. $25 AUD.
56. Meredith, Mrs Charles (Louisa Anne) (1973). Notes and Sketches of New South Wales (Facsimile ed) [Penguin Colonial Facsimiles]. Melbourne: Penguin Books. 164 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, pages lightly toned as usual. One of the most penetrating descriptions of life in Colonial Australia from a woman's viewpoint. Mrs Meredith writes with keen observation and biting wit. ISBN: 0140700358. Our Book No: 23317. $20 AUD.
57. Mitchell, Craig (1996). Near Death: Stories from the Other Side. Melbourne: Mandarin. 143 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. Cases of near-death experiences (NDEs) investigated by Australian ambulance officer who now owns a pet cemetery (1 of 2 copies available.). ISBN: 1863305092. Our Book No: 1783. $15 AUD.
58. Mitchell, Susan (2011). Tony Abbott: A Man's Man. Melbourne: Scribe Publications. 197 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minimal edgewear. A blistering critique of the conservative Australian politician. When Julia Gillard - a woman who was unmarried and childless, and an atheist - became prime minister in 2010, Tony Abbott was left boiling with rage. Not only had he lost, but he had been defeated by a modern woman. For the time being, the ambitions of this fundamentalist Catholic and fiercely combative reactionary politician had been thwarted. (The former pugilist and would-be priest did later indeed destroy the Gillard-Rudd Labor government, and become PM - but was himself ousted later after losing the support of the Liberal party room.). ISBN: 9781921844300. Our Book No: 14899. $15 AUD.
59. Mountford, Pamela (2011). William Edward Learoyd: Citizen Soldier of New South Wales in the Early Volunteer Contingents of Australia (1st ed). [Sydney, North Sydney]: Pamela Mountford. 191 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, black & white text-photos, maps, minimal edgewear, bottom corner tip front cover little scuffed, sentence crossed out with biro on page one as a research error by Pamela Mountford. The story of the early life of William Edward Learoyd's (Will to his family). William was born in Tasmania in 1854 to Edward Learoyd and Hannah Griffins. William joined the Field Battalion NSW Artillery 1880, the Army Medical Corps Soudan 1885, and served in South Africa in 1900. Citizen Soldier Volunteers of New South Wales were present in NSW from an early date: a community initiative and a natural part of British institutions in a new land. Sergeant Learoyd held the Soudan Egypt Medal with Bar 1885, the Khedive's Bronze Medal and the Mayor of Sydney Silver Soudan Medal. For Service in the South African (Boer) War, he was awarded the Queens South Africa Medal and clasps. This very special story has been written by his granddaugher. ISBN: 9780646569758. Our Book No: 30341. $70 AUD.
60. Muir, Marcie (1980). Charlotte Barton: Australia's First Children's Author. Sydney: Wentworth Books. 35 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, card cover, stapled pamphlet (rusted staples), frontispiece drawing, black & white photos (portraits), some insect damage covers (mainly front cover edges), minor edgewear. Marcie Muir describes her patient detective work that revealed the true author of the first children's book published in Australia (A Mother's Offering to her Children, published in Sydney in 1841). Charlotte Barton was the mother of Australian novelist and artist Louisa Atkinson. (No 247 of a limited edition of 500 copies, all autographed.). ISBN: 0855871547. Our Book No: 17693. $10 AUD.
61. Munro, Barbara Hazard (2001). Statistical Methods for Health Care Research (4th, reprint ed). Philadelphia: Lippincott. 459 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear & rubbing, data disk in rear pocket. Fourth edition (with 3.5 inch data disk). Bestselling guide which simply explains health care statistics: terms and principles, interpretation, and hands-on practical examples. Includes confirmatory factor analysis, plus a better discussion of measurement error, outliers and missing data. ISBN: 078172175X. Our Book No: 17694. $25 AUD.
62. Navy, Royal Australian (1984). Welcome Aboard (11 Naval Brochures). City Not Stated: Royal Australian Navy (RAN). Each 4 pp. Each brochure: Pamphlet oblong trade, single folded sheet, black & white text-photos, minor edgewear. Eleven promotional brochures about the Royal Australian Navy. Five describe warships: HMAS Darwin, HMAS Hobart, HMAS Townsville, HMAS Vampire, HMAS Yarra. The other six are: Australian Submarine Squadron (consists of six diesel-electric submarines of the Oberon class based at HMAS Platypus, North Sydney) (3 copies), HMAS Nirimba (Quakers Hill, Sydney, established 1956), HMAS Penguin (Balmoral, Sydney, provides technical and advanced training of officers and sailors), HMAS Waterhen (Waverton, Sydney - the first Australian warship sunk during WW2). (Estimated date, 1984 or later, internal evidence.). Our Book No: 40058. $20 AUD.
63. Osborne, Larry (2015). Thriving in Babylon: Why Hope, Humility, and Wisdom Matter in a Godless Culture. Colorado Springs: David C. Cook. 199 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. American pastor shows how the story of Daniel (from the prophetic Book of Daniel in the Bible, named for a Jew exiled to Babylon) shows how a man can survive in a fast changing and godless society. With the power of hope, humility, and wisdom, he not only thrived, but changed an empire while he was at it. His story has a much to teach us today. Why panic and despair are never from God. What true optimism looks like. How humility disarms even our greatest of enemies. Why respect causes even those who will have nothing to do with God to listen. How wisdom can snatch victory out of the jaws of defeat. For those who know Jesus and understand the full implications of the cross, the resurrection, and the promises of Jesus, everything changes - in us, and also in our world. ISBN: 9781434704214. Our Book No: 4535. $10 AUD.
64. Outhwaite, Annie R.; Peterson, Georgette (music); Outhwaite, Ida S. (illustrator) (1924). Australian Songs for Young and Old [Imperial Edition 335: Plate A.P.K.7072]. Melbourne, Adelaide, Bendigo: Allan & Co. 28 pp. Paperback large oblong quarto, good condition, music scripts, full-page black & white drawings, inside covers foxed, minor creasing & foxing, edgewear, string binding, rubber stamp. Delightful collectible book children's picture book of sheet music, verse and illustrations by the two Outhwaite sisters. Dedication page to Lady Northcote. The nine verses with sheet music are: Gobble wobbles - A little Aboriginee [sic] - Mother sea - Baby bear - Catching birds - Goldilocks - A strayed sunbeam - Autumn wind - Good night. (Estimated date, 1924. Muir 6339. Imperial edition bottom of front cover. Three shillings printed price. Plate number bottom corner rear cover. Originally published by George Robertson, 1907.). Our Book No: 17685. $150 AUD.
65. Outhwaite, Annie R.; Peterson, Georgette (music); Rentoul-Outhwaite, Ida S. (illustrator) (1924). Bush Songs of Australia for Young and Old [Imperial Edition 336: Plate A.P. K 7337]. Melbourne, Adelaide, Bendigo, Geelong: Allan & Co. 36 pp. Paperback large oblong quarto, good condition, red coloured cover (red, orange & black pictorial), music scripts, full-page black & white drawings, string binding, top corner front cover thinned, otherwise minor creasing & foxing, ink stain rear cover, edgewear, rubber stamp. Delightful collectible book children's picture book of sheet music, verse and illustrations by the two Outhwaite sisters. Dedication page to Melba. The eight verses with sheet music are: Bell bird - Little mia mia - Kookaburra (laughing jackass) - Moonboat - Billy tea - 'Way back - Kangaroo song - Fairy fleet. Advert for two companion songbooks at rear. (Estimated date, 1924. Muir 6347. Imperial edition bottom of front cover. Three shillings printed price (pencil annotation as 3/6). Plate number bottom corner rear cover. Originally published by George Robertson, 1910.). Our Book No: 17688. $135 AUD.
66. Parkin, L. W. (editor); Firman, J. B.; Johns, R. K.; Ludbrook, N. H.; Thomson, B. P.; Wopfner, H. (1969). Handbook of South Australian Geology. Adelaide: Geological Survey of South Australia / A. B. James, Government Printer. 268 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), figures, illustrated endpapers, frontispiece, black & white figures, maps, single colour map, minor edgewear jacket, top corners few pages little creased & bumped, minor annotation front flap (black texta over prices). This book is designed to to meet the needs of both the student of geology and the interested layperson and to provide background material from which the text references can be followed when more detail is required. The many maps, photos and diagrams make this a fascinating book to add to any earth sciences collection. Our Book No: 30345. $30 AUD.
67. Patchett Martin, A. (Arthur) (1998). The Beginnings of an Australian Literature [Bibliographica Historica Australia Series]. Canberra: Mulini Press. 48 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, stapled pamphlet, card cover, minor edgewear, annotation inside front cover, copy 2. Facsimile, originally published in London in 1898, and based on an address delivered at the South Place Institute, London. The author was the publicist who introduced Adam Lindsay Gordon to English readers. He had long advocated for a distinctive Australian literature criticism of Australian writers. (No 6 in this series.) (1 of 2 available copies. This copy is annotated by Canberra book collector Alan Ives, who states: "Reprinted by facsimile from the copy of the first edition in my collection, 27-2-1998."). ISBN: 0949910775. Our Book No: 16546A. $15 AUD.
68. Patrick, Aaron (2016). Credlin and Co: How The Abbott Government Destroyed Itself. Melbourne, Carlton: Black Inc. 312 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minimal edgewear, sticker inside rear cover. This is the story of a dysfunctional relationship that determined the fate of a government (Prime Minister Tony Abbott and his chief-of-staff Peta Credlin). The book shows in detail the disastrous consequences of power abused, and the broken people left in its wake ISBN: 9781863958097. Our Book No: 40208. $16 AUD.
69. Perez-Reverte, Arturo; Soto, Sonia (translator) (1996). The Club Dumas: A Novel (1st translated ed). New York: Harcourt Brace & Company. 362 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), cloth spine, top corners covers bumped, edges lightly foxed, minor edgewear jacket (spine ends little rubbed). First translated edition (from Spanish). This an inventive and stylish historical novel of intrigue about a secret society of antiquarians and the hunt for a rare book of satanic lore. The search takes Lucas Corso from Madrid to Paris and he enters a world of a secret society of antiquarians, the occult, 19th-century popular literature, fictional and historical characters. ISBN: 0151001820. Our Book No: 30354. $30 AUD.
70. Photo, Globe (1983). Postcard: Cat and Horse [No FPC.199]. Fort Lauderdale, FL: Flashcards, Inc. N/A pp. Postcard oblong, black & white photo one side, some light toning, no written text on rear side, corner tips little creased, minor edgewear. This beautiful grey & white kitten is very life-like. The horse seems quite happy to have the company. A very special card to bring a smile to any face. (Estimated date.). Our Book No: 40187. $10 AUD.
71. Pinker, Susan (2015). The Village Effect: Why Face-to-face Contact Matters (1st U.K. ed). London: Atlantic Books. 418 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, few drawings, cover corner tips little creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. A psychologist explores the impact of face-to-face contact from cradle to grave, from city to Sardinian mountain village, from classroom to workplace, from love to marriage to divorce. Combining the findings of the new field of social neuroscience together with human stories she has written a challenging and enlightening book. ISBN: 9781848878587. Our Book No: 40197. $25 AUD.
72. Riemer, Andrew (1998). Sandstone Gothic: Confessions of an Accidental Academic. Sydney: Allen & Unwin. 225 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, pages lightly toned as usual, minor edgewear, bookplate inside front cover. Enlightening autobiography of an academic (English Department, University of Sydney), including dealing with internal politics. ISBN: 1864486260. Our Book No: 8391. $14 AUD.
73. Robertson, Geoffrey (1999). The Justice Game (Modern reprint ed). London: Vintage. 415 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear corners. The well-known Australian lawyer (who practices in Britain) attempts to explain why justice matters, and the recounting of actual cases helps to explain this statement. This book argues for freedom of information and libel law changes, for abolition of blasphemy, for proper inquiries into violent deaths, for a privacy law, for an Independent Commission Against Corruption. The chapters are arranged chronologically rather than logically, spanning 25 years. ISBN: 9780099581918. Our Book No: 28523. $12 AUD.
74. Sibley, Irena (1998). The Bilbies First Easter (Reprint ed). Sydney: Silver Gum Press / Allen & Unwin. 28 pp. Paperback quarto, stapled, very good condition, stapled, full-page colour drawings, minor edgewear. Children's picture story: their farm was baked dry by drought - but with the help of the bilbies, William makes an Easter surprise magical. (The colour plates were made using tempera and gouache on handmade paper with sable brushes.). ISBN: 1875843124. Our Book No: 2139. $15 AUD.
75. Simpson, Graham; Durham, Judith (afterword); York, Duchess of (foreword); Redgrave, Lynn (foreword); Bovey, Shelley (foreword) (2003). Colours of My Life: The Judith Durham Story (New ed). London: Virgin Books. 384 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white & colour photos centre spread, front free flyleaf little creased, minor edgewear. A frank and revealing biography of Australia's first international female pop star (the voice of The Seekers). She also cares for her husband who suffers motor neurone disease (MND). Originally published in 1994, this new edition contains an afterword by Judith Durham, dated 2003. ISBN: 1852270381. Our Book No: 17653. $50 AUD.
76. Souvenirs, Australia (No Date). Postcard: Greetings from Cobar, N.S.W.: Australia Sturt's Desert Pea. Adelaide: Souvenirs Australia Pty Ltd. N/A pp. Postcard oblong, colour picture one side, no written text rear side, lightly toned rear side, minor edgewear. Postcard oblong, colour photo Sturt's Desert Pea. This beautiful card is very life-like with the sturt peas growing in the bush, with other native plants in the background. Our Book No: 40190. $10 AUD.
77. Starr, Paul (2007). Freedom's Power: The True Force of Liberalism. New York: Basic Books. 276 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket, bottom corner front cover little bumped, pages faintly toned. Liberalism is a sturdy public philosophy, an important part of American traditions, and capable of making America and the world more free and secure. ISBN: 9780465081868. Our Book No: 30353. $20 AUD.
78. Stein, Gordon (editor); Sagan, Carl (foreword) (1996). The Encyclopedia of the Paranormal. New York: Prometheus Books. 859 pp. Hardback thick octavo, no jacket, very good condition, tables, top corners covers little bumped, small mark bottom edge, faint foxing edges, owner's rubber stamps front endpapers. Heavy (1.4 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This is the first scientifically based skeptical encyclopedia to deal with the paranormal. Arranged alphabetically by topic from Alchemy to Zombies. The term paranormal is defined broadly and includes parapsychology, extrasensory perception (ESP), fairies, psychic healing, talking apes, bigfoot and crop circles. ISBN: 1573920215. Our Book No: 40206. $50 AUD.
79. Summers, Anne; Park, Ruth (foreword) (2000). Ducks on the Pond: An Autobiography 1945 - 1976. Melbourne: Viking / Penguin Books Australia. 438 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos, transparent glasine jacket, minor edgewear. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. The unflinching personal story of Anne Summers. It covers the conformity and repression of the 1950s, the political radicalism and rock music of the 1960s, and the sexual revolution, women's liberation and the Whitlam phenomenon of the 1970s. Written with wit and wry humour, this story is one of success and fulfilment achieved against considerable odds. Concludes with the aftermath of the publication of her best-selling book 'Damn Whores and God's Police' (1975). Foreword by Ruth Park. ISBN: 0670882623. Our Book No: 17692. $40 AUD.
80. Thiele, Colin; Hunnam, Lucinda (illustrator) (1990). Farmer Pelz's Pumpkins (1st p/b ed). Sydney: Walter McVitty Books. 28 pp. Paperback oblong quarto, very good condition, colour drawings, minor edgewear corners. This Australian children's picture story about a farmer and his love of his farm and growing pumpkins will please children of all ages. The very colourful illustrations are delightful. SALE PRICE. ISBN: 0949183350. Our Book No: 20052. $10 AUD.
81. Thompson, Jane (1991). Postcard: Bloodwood Encircled from an Original Australia Flora Collage (New ed) [No. P143]. City Not Stated: Blue Moon Postcards, Australia / Beaver Press (Printer). N/A pp. Postcard oblong, colour picture one side, one corner tip little creased, no written text rear side, minor edgewear. Colour photo of an original Australian flora collage. This beautiful card is very life-like with the native plants looking like they are growing in a natural setting. (Estimated date.). Our Book No: 40189. $10 AUD.
82. Trickett, Joyce (1987). The Cattitudes of Chairman Miaow. Sydney: Spastic Centre of New South Wales. Unnum 48 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, beautiful colour drawings (some full-page), minor edgewear. A beautifully illustrated book about an educated ginger cat. The rhymes that go with each drawing are just a purrfect way to appeal to all cat lovers, both children and adults alike. The author has had a versatile career including teaching speech and drama. This book is her gift to raise funds for the Spastic Centre. ISBN: 0959865756. Our Book No: 20363. $25 AUD.
83. Turnley, Cole; Cole, E. W. (1974). Cole's Funny Picture Book, No. 3 (2nd, reprint ed). Sydney: Cole Publications. 193 pp. Hardback quarto, pictorial cover, good condition, black & white drawings & cartoons & text-photos, colour photos, covers little distorted (lifting, pages firm), pages faintly toned as usual, minor edgewear, owner's written name. A book of humour, cartoons, puzzles and wisdom for young adults. Inspired by two original picture books by E. W. Cole (this one edited by his grandson, Cole Turnley). The pictorial cover contains a rainbow pattern. Cover text includes: "Family amuser and instructor, to delight the children and make home happier. The best child's picture book in the world.". ISBN: 0909900043. Our Book No: 13701. $30 AUD.
84. Walsh, Richard (1993). Ferretabilia: Life and Times of Nation Review. Brisbane, St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (UQP). 231 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, black & white cartoons, minimal foxing fore-edge, minor edgewear. Lean and nosey like a ferret - extracts from Nation Review, the satirical Australian newspaper, collected by its founding editor. Launched in 1970, Nation Review showcased the journalism of Richard Beckett, Bob Ellis, John Hepworth, Michael Leunig, Morris Lurie and Mungo McCallum, among others. Its heady mixture of iconoclasm and wit attracted the cream of Australian journalism to its pages. An irresistible snapshot of the turbulent world of the early 1970s. ISBN: 0702224502. Our Book No: 13173. $20 AUD.
85. Waterhouse, E. G.; Feint, Adrian (illustrator); Jones, Paul (illustrator) (1947). Camellia Quest: With Four Plates in Colour and Six in Monochrome (1st ed). Sydney: Ure Smith. 30 pp. Hardback folio, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), tipped in plates (colour & monochrome), edgewear jacket (chipped, rear cover little rubbed & marked, few tiny dents front cover, lightly foxed & faded, small piece missing bottom corner front flap), few light creases along spine, bottom edge untrimmed, endpapers lightly toned, few foxed spots throughout, autograph (written names author & artists). No 132 of a limited to 550 copies, of which 500 are for sale, each autographed by the author and artists. Written after many years of research, much after long and patient delving into old records at the Mitchell Library. The exquisite illustrations will delight not only camellia growers, who will value them for their accuracy of detail, but also all lovers of this wonderful flower. Waterhouse was an Emeritus Professor of the University of Sydney. He has long been famous for his knowledge of camellias in Australia, both as a grower and a student of its history. Our Book No: 30356. $150 AUD.
86. Waterhouse, E. G.; Jones, Paul (illustrator) (1952). Camellia Trail: With Twenty-one Plates in Colour (1st ed). Sydney: Ure Smith. 44 + 21 pp. Hardback folio, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), tipped in colour plates, edgewear jacket (little chipped, small thinned area rear cover, little rubbed & marked, lightly foxed & faded, few light creases along spine), bottom edge untrimmed, endpapers lightly toned, few foxed spots throughout, autograph (author and artist.) Heavy (1.0 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. First edition: An autographed unnumbered copy of a limited edition to 1000 copies. Written after many years of research, much after long and patient delving into old records at the Mitchell Library. The exquisite illustrations (21 plates) will delight not only camellia growers, who will value them for their accuracy of detail, but also all lovers of this wonderful flower. By Emeritus Professor of the University of Sydney, who has long been famous for his knowledge of camellias in Australia, both as a grower and a student of its history. Our Book No: 30357. $200 AUD.
87. Werner Schroeder, Hans (2010). The Christian Creed: A Meditative Path (Reprint ed). Edinburgh: Floris Books. 109 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, tiny scuff & bump top spine, edges faintly toned, minor edgewear. In the Eucharist service of the Christian Community, the act of the Consecration of Man, a new form of the Creed, is read. The author goes step by step through this Creed, explaining it as a spiritual path which can truly be transforming. Essential for members of the Christian Community, and will interest all those searching for spirituality. ISBN: 9780863156793. Our Book No: 40205. $18 AUD.
88. Wharton, Herb (1996). Where Ya' Been, Mate?: Stories of the City and the Bush from a Masterly Yarn-teller [UQP Black Australian Writers]. Brisbane: St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (UQP). 130 pp. Paperback small trade, good condition, inside covers lightly toned, pages toned, bottom corner tip rear cover creased, minor edgewear. A collection of stories by Aboriginal writer, set in rural Queensland (Mt Isa) and the city. Along with campfire yarns and memories drawn from childhood are stories from Herb's other life in the big city and on the literary trail. ISBN: 0702228036. Our Book No: 30340. $15 AUD.
89. White, Patrick (1955). The Tree of Man (1st edition, 1st printing ed). New York: Viking Press. 499 pp. Hardback thick octavo, no jacket, very good condition, blue cloth cover, rebound leather spine (gilt spine lettering & vignette, decorative edges), new endpapers, pages faintly toned, bottom corner tips first several pages removed, otherwise minor edgewear. First edition (prior to English edition). Stan and Amy Parker are a young couple at the turn of the century set up home on a farm in an undeveloped area near the outskirts of a large Australian city. They grew up with the landscape, the trees, the new neighbours, droughts, floods. A timeless classic, radiating the beauty and tragedy of humanity. (Expert leather rebinding by David J. Newbold: his card loosely inserted.). Our Book No: 40204. $50 AUD.
90. Williams, Margery; Percy, Graham (illustrator); Qualie, Christopher (illustrator) (1988). The Velveteen Rabbit (Reprint ed). London: Octopus Books. 59 pp. Hardback small quarto, very good condition, pictorial cover, colour & black & white drawings, illustrated endpapers, spine ends & cover corners lightly bumped, edges lightly foxed, spine little faded, few light scratches covers. A beautiful children's picture story about a toy rabbit who wanted to become real. He had to wait a long time before the magic happened that granted him his wish. The bright illustrations will delight all ages. ISBN: 0706430298. Our Book No: 30344. $14 AUD.
91. Wiseman, Liz; McKeown, Greg (with); Covey, Stephen (foreword) (2010). Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter (1st ed). New York: Harper Collins. 268 pp. Paperback small trade, good condition, spine lightly rubbed, pages faintly toned, light foxing few pages, minor edgewear. From the publisher's summary: A thought-provoking, accessible and essential exploration of why some leaders (called Diminishers) drain capability and intelligence from their teams, while others (called Multipliers) amplify it to produce better results. A truly inspiring book. ISBN: 9780062390660. Our Book No: 30348. $20 AUD.
92. Wolff, Michael (2018). Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House (Reprint ed). London: Little Brown. 322 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, front cover scratched, minor edgewear corner tips. The inside story of the most controversial presidency of our time. The first nine months of Donald Trump's term were stormy, outrageous - and absolutely mesmerising. Now, thanks to his deep access to the West Wing, bestselling author Michael Wolff tells the riveting story of how Trump launched a tenure as volatile and fiery as the man himself. In this explosive book, Wolff provides a wealth of new details about the chaos in the Oval Office. Among the revelations: Why FBI director James Comey was really fired. Why chief strategist Steve Bannon and Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner couldn't be in the same room. ISBN: 9781408711392. Our Book No: 17689. $14 AUD.
93. Wright, Judith; Kinsella, John (introduction) (2010). A Human Pattern: Selected Poems (New ed). Manchester: Carcanet Press. 242 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, few tiny marks top edge, small dent spine edge, corner tips front cover little creased, minor edgewear. The well-respected Australian poet and environmentalist provides a definitive selection of her own poetry. This book is her best work from 1946 to her last collection, Phantom Dwelling (1986). ISBN: 9781847770516. Our Book No: 30351. $18 AUD.
94. Young, Leonie; Riddle, Tohby (illustrator) (1993). I Wish I'd Sailed With Captain Cook. Sydney: Weldon Kids. Unnum 30 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, colour drawings (some full-page), poster in card pocket inside rear cover, minor edgewear. This exciting collectable children's picture book features Captain Cook and his voyage to Australia, 1768 - 1771. I wonder what he would think of Australia now? (1 of 2 available copies.). ISBN: 1863021639. Our Book No: 17690. $20 AUD.
95. Yusoff, Nik Mohamed Affandi Bin Nik; Noor, Ismail (editor) (2002). Islam and Business. Selangor, Malaysia: Pelanduk. 279 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear. Demonstrates how in business, Muslims are expected to be compassionate. The first part of the book describes the Islamic economic system. The second part details how the concepts and principles of Islam are to be applied in commerce. Islamic business must strike a balance between commercialism and humanitarianism, profit and social responsibility. Islamic regulations regarding business were adopted over 14 centuries ago, prior to Western efforts at regulation. ISBN: 9679787680. Our Book No: 20953. $30 AUD.