INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
Equivalent to free postage
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
(Located in Australia):
BOOKS FOR SALE: RECENT ACQUISITIONS FEBRUARY 2020
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books (equivalent to free postage).
1. Albert, J. & Son (1934). Albert's Favourite Songs Album no 2. Sydney: J. Albert & Son. 32 pp. paperback folio, very good condition, stapled, card cover, pages toned as usual, minor edgewear. Sheet music for 10 favourite pieces that suit all types of musical instruments: If you were the only girl in the world - The old spinning wheel - Marie - In the valley of the moon - Shuffle off to Buffalo - The sheik of Araby - Chinatown, my Chinatown - Sing as we go - Some of these days - You made me love you (Dear Mr Gable). Our Book No: 17812. $20 AUD.
2. Appleton, Nancy (2005). Stopping Inflammation: Relieving the Cause of Degenerative Diseases (Reprint ed). Garden City, NY: Square One Publishers. 212 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, tables, figures, bottom corner tip front cover scuffed, minor edgewear. Using the latest medical research, this book begins with a full explanation of inflammation. It then looks at inflammation’s many causes, from food allergies to environmental factors to psychological stress. The book offers a variety of nondrug treatments aimed not at controlling the problem but at removing its cause. ISBN: 9780757001482. Our Book No: 40388. $20 AUD.
3. Art in Australia, Ltd (1934). Basic Recipes as a Key to the Art of Cooking. Sydney / London: Art In Australia Limited / Weldons Limited / Sun Engraving (Printer). 129 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in good only dustjacket), sepia (brown-tinted) text-photos, charts, pages lightly toned, minimal foxing inside rear cover, one letter missing title jacket (few closed tears, piece missing top spine & top edge, slight loss base & corners, few tiny marks, light foxing, slightly faded, spine worn & scuffed), small mark front cover, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. This book is a collectible “new way” cookery book.There are over 500 dishes that can be prepared from 80 recipes, including many continental dishes. The book has 478 illustrations. This book is reliable, practical, and economical, and the illustrations demonstrate, in many cases step by step, the stages to the final serving of the completed meal. (No date, but 1934, Trove, advert in Daily News Perth, June 16, 1934.). Our Book No: 30493. $40 AUD.
4. Augustine, St; Burton, Philip (translator, editor); Lane Fox, Robin (introduction) (2001). Augustine: The Confessions. London: Everyman's Library. 370 pp. Hardback small octavo, brown cloth boards, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), slight bump base spine, white background rear jacket little marked, minor edgewear jacket, ribbon bookmark. An autobiography of the Christian saint and mystic, a bishop in north Africa (born 354 A.D.), who wrote City of God and Confessions. His journey from schoolboy and student to bishop and champion of Western Christendom in a period of intense political upheaval is explained in this powerful narrative which continues to shape the way we write and behave today. ISBN: 1857151283. Our Book No: 30511. $30 AUD.
5. Bailey, John (2011). Into the Unknown: The Tormented Life and Expeditions of Ludwig Leichhardt. Sydney: Macmillan. 396 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, black & white photos centre spread, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. The story of Australia's most intriguing inland explorer, Ludwig Leichhardt, who vanished on his second major expedition. A masterful biography of this strange, brilliant, difficult, driven and tormented man. Born and educated in Prussia in the early 19th century, he was a polymath who was fascinated by the natural world, and possessed a longing for adventure and exploration. ISBN: 9781742610450. Our Book No: 26275. $30 AUD.
6. Battocletti, Joseph H. (1976). Electromagentism, Man and the Environment [Westview Environmental Studies]. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. 84 pp. Hardback small octavo, no jacket (missing, very good condition, cancelled EX-LIBRARY, library marks (labels including front cover, rubber stamps), minor edgewear, minor pencil annotation. An excellent academic survey of electromagnetic pollution in the modern world (and its potential benefits), with a focus on its effects on human physiology. By project director magnetic resonance at Medical College of Wisconsin. ISBN: 0891586121. Our Book No: 17802. $15 AUD.
7. Becker, Robert O. (1990). Cross Currents: The Startling Effects of Electromagnetic Radiation on Health (1st ed). London: Bloomsbury Books. 336 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear. American professor explores the meeting of two opposing trends: the rise of electromedicine (unlocking the secrets of healing) and electropollution (a pressing environmental danger from manmade electromagnetic fields). ISBN: 0747507619. Our Book No: 2756. $30 AUD.
8. Berki, R. N. (1984). Socialism (Reprint ed) [Modern Ideologies Series]. London: J. M. Dent. 184 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, top corner rear cover creased, spine edges little rubbed, minimal scuffing & foxing, inside covers lightly toned, minor edgewear. Discusses the doctrinal positions of major socialist thinkers, such as Saint Simon, Marx, Lenin and Mao Tse-tung, and argues that socialism can be better understood by reference to its four basic tendencies, moralism, rationalism, egalitarianism and libertarianism - than any attempts to reduce it to any one central idea. ISBN: 0460117211. Our Book No: 40386. $18 AUD.
9. Bligh, William; Mackaness, George (editor) (1976). Fresh Light on Bligh: Some Unpublished Correspondence 1776 - 1811 (Reprint ed) [Australian Historical Monographs]. Dubbo, NSW: Review Publications. 81 pp. Paperback trade, stapled pamphlet, flexible covers, very good condition, black & white text-illustrations, light foxing edges & title page, front cover little marked, staples slightly rusted, creases along the spine. Correspondence between Captain William Bligh and John & Francis Godolphin Bond. Lieutenant Bond's manuscript notes were made on the voyage of H.M.S. Providence 1791 - 1795. (No 5, new series.). Our Book No: 40378. $15 AUD.
10. Bodsworth, Nan (1994). Mike's Bulldozer and the Big Flood (1st ed). Melbourne: Viking / Penguin Books. Unnum 32 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, colour drawings, minor edgewear. First edition. Australian children's picture story in which Mike and his grandparents arrive at Uncle John's farm to dig a new dam and build a better road to the river. But it is raining up in the high country, and day by day the river rises - until it is lapping against the levee banks that protect the farm. Mike is able to help out with his earthmoving machines. ISBN: 0670845426. Our Book No: 17788. $15 AUD.
11. Bradley, Kevin (editor) (2006). John Meredith, a Tribute: Folklore Collector, Photographer, Writer, Performer. Canberra: National Library of Australia (NLA). 62 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, black & white photos (mostly full-page), minor edgewear corners, faint foxing title page. This book is the story of John Meredith who was born in 1920 and died in 2001. During his active life he was a folklore collector, developed an interest in photography, wrote several books (many about folk music), and became involved in the folk music scene. He came from a rural working class background. He was known to be a giving person and tended to make friends easily. ISBN: 0642276366. Our Book No: 30505. $20 AUD.
12. Bredesen, Dr Dale (2017). The End of Alzheimer's: The First Programme to Prevent and Reverse the Cognitive Decline of Dementia (Reprint ed). London: Vermilion. 308 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, top corner covers little creased, spine ends little bumped, minor edgewear. Offers hope to anyone looking to prevent and even reverse Alzheimer's Disease and the cognitive decline of dementia. The author reveals the 36 affecting metabolic factors and outlines a proven program to rebalance them, which patients can follow with the help of a healthcare professional. There are also general lifestyle and dietary changes all readers can adopt to improve cognitive health. ISBN: 9781785041228. Our Book No: 30512. $25 AUD.
13. Butt, Peter (2012). Who Killed Dr Bogle and Mrs Chandler? Sydney: New Holland. 272 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good dustjacket), sepia (brown-coloured) text-photos, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. The bizarre deaths of CSIRO physicist Dr Gilbert Bogle and Mrs Margaret Chandler (wife of a colleague) on the banks of Lane Cove River on New Years Day, 1963.remain unsolved. Local author and film-maker Peter Butt describes the most up-to-date, detailed investigation so far, which answers many curious issues, and comes up with good evidence for hydrogen sulphide poisoning from the putrid river. Why did both the original investigation and the Coronial Inquest fail the victims? Why was evidence concerning the private worlds of Bogle and Chandler suppressed? Who was the person who covered the bodies? Who was an ASIO agent? ISBN: 9781742573076. Our Book No: 17793. $25 AUD.
14. Byrne, Josh; Cundall, Peter (foreword) (2006). The Green Gardener: Sustainable Gardening In Your Own Backyard (Reprint ed). Melbourne: Viking / Penguin Books. 138 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, colour text-photos & full-page colour photos, spine little faded, minor edgewear. This timely and very down-to-earth book, written by Gardening Australia presenter Josh Byrne, gives ideas on how to contribute to a cleaner, greener world in your own backyard. Peter Cundall states this is the most unusual, informative and inspiring garden book he has read. ISBN: 9780670029419. Our Book No: 27535. $20 AUD.
15. Cadbury’s Fry Pascall, Pty Ltd (1935). Chocolate Cookery with Bournville Cocoa: 60 Delicious Bournville Cocoa Recipes. Tasmania / Sydney: Cadbury’s / W. C. Penfold (Printer). 30 pp. Paperback small, good condition, stapled, single-colour text-illustrations, colour illustrations, corners few pages creased, scattered faint foxing pages, few light marks rear cover, few small scuffs front cover, staples rusted, corners covers creased, few light creases covers, spine worn (slight loss spine ends), cover loose top staple (pages firm), some edgewear. This well-loved pamphlet has plenty of recipes based on the popular drinking and cooking cocoa. (No date but 1930s, Trove.) Our Book No: 30491. $15 AUD.
16. Case, Jo; Davis, Oslo (illustrator) (2013). Boomer and Me: A Memoir of Motherhood, and Asperger's (1st ed). Melbourne: Hardie Grant. 337 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white drawings, pages faintly toned, front hinge slightly split (pages firm), minor edgewear. Autobiography of an Australian mother who has a son with Asperger's syndrome, a type of autism. This is the bittersweet story of a 21st-century family, and why being different isn’t a disability - it just takes some getting used to. ISBN: 9781742702582. Our Book No: 40424. $15 AUD.
17. Cesari, Jocelyne (2013). Why the West Fears Islam: An Exploration of Muslims in Liberal Democracies (1st stated ed) [Culture and Religion in International Relations Series]. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. 381 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, figures, charts, minor edgewear, top corner front cover bent, bottom corner rear cover bent. An unprecedented exploration of Muslim religious and political life based on several years of field work in Europe and in the United States. The author gives original insights into the ways Muslims act as believers and citizens, and into the specifics of Western liberalism and secularism. The books unique interdisciplinary scope allows for an in-depth analysis of data polls and political discourses as well as first-hand interviews and focus groups with Muslims. ISBN: 9781403969538. Our Book No: 30495. $30 AUD.
18. Clark, Ricky (1994). Quilted Gardens: Floral Quilts of the Nineteenth Century (1st ed). Nashville, TN: Rutledge Hill Press. 115 pp. Paperback small quarto, very good condition, minimal edgewear corner tips. This is the story of the classic floral quilt which was one of the most popular styles used in the 19th century. From the 1840s through the 1870s, these attractive, eye-catching designs were very popular. The designs gradually declined after that. A fascinating look at these quilts, their makers, and the many influences that affected the development of the classic floral quilt style. ISBN: 1558532722. Our Book No: 30504. $18 AUD.
19. Cole, Pearl A. (complier) (1915). Novelty Evenings [The Pearl Series]. Melbourne: E. W. Cole. 133 pp. Paperback small trade, good condition, pages lightly toned, light foxing edges & few pages, slight loss spine ends, ridges in spine (due to binding), bottom corner front cover creased, covers lightly foxed & little soiled, some edgewear, rubber stamp (digits) title page, bookshop sticker, owner's name in pencil on flyleaf. This fascinating collectible book has a lot of games and suggestions for novelty evenings. (No date, but 1910s, Trove.). Our Book No: 40367. $18 AUD.
20. Cole, Tom (1991). Hell West and Crooked (Reprint ed) [Imprint Lives Series]. Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 360 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear & rubbing. Autobiography of real-life Crocodile Dundee - a young Englishman's life in the Australian Outback (Northern Territory) during the 1920s and 1930s, as drover, and as buffalo and crocodile hunter. ISBN: 0207166927. Our Book No: 18506. $12 AUD.
21. Crew, Gary; Gouldthorpe, Peter (illustrator) (1994). First Light (Reprint ed). Melbourne: Lothian. Unnum 32 pp. Hardback quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, colour drawings, spine little faded, minor edgewear. The Children's Book Council of Australia Short-listed picture book. A boy and his father go fishing before first light. The boy would rather be at home but his father insists. In the eerie dawn, the sea seems ominous and threatening. This beautiful story tells how a father and son are brought together by the mysterious power of the sea. ISBN: 0850915678. Our Book No: 40393. $20 AUD.
22. David-Neel, Alexandra; D'Arsonval, Dr A. (introduction) (1971). Magic and Mystery in Tibet (Reprint ed). New York: Dover Publications. 321 pp. Paperback small octavo, good plus condition, black & white text-photos, top edge foxed, pages lightly toned, bottom edge rubbed, some edgewear, owner's written name title page. This book records her fascinating travels, discoveries, and experiences in Tibet. She brings a commonsense and sceptical eye to the practices and beliefs of the magicians and mystic masters of this ancient dreamland, Tibet. ISBN: 0486226824. Our Book No: 17824. $12 AUD.
23. Dershowitz, Alan (2007). Blasphemy: How the Religious Right is Hijacking the Declaration of Independence (1st ed). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley. 195 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), small mark front free flyleaf, minor edgewear The American lawyer proves that no relation exists between the Declaration of Independence's "Creator and Nature's God", on the one hand, and the Judeo-Christian God of the Old and New Testaments, on the other hand. Learn about the religious right's goal to Christianize America by using the Declaration of Independence and arguing that this document proves that the United States was founded on Biblical law. Understand everything from the argument to the documentation that Dershowitz uses to disprove this historical distortion. ISBN: 9780470084557. Our Book No: 17799. $20 AUD.
24. Deveson, Anne (1998). Tell Me I'm Here (A Moving and Courageous Story of One Family's Experience of Schizophrenia) (Revised ed). Melbourne: Penguin Books. 283 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, corner front cover lightly creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. Revised edition. The writer and broadcaster describes living with her schizophrenic son Jonathon. Human Rights non-fiction award, 1991. There was a telephone call from a polite stranger who told me my son was living in a cave at the bottom of his garden, This Is Anne's story of her son who suffers from schizophrenia, and the difficult situations the family faced. ISBN: 0140272577. Our Book No: 2420. $10 AUD.
25. Dienstfrey, Harris (1992 ). Where the Mind Meets the Body: Type A, the Relaxation Response, Psychoneuroimmunology, Biofeedback, Neuropeptides, Hypnosis, Imagery - and the Search for the Mind's Effects on Physical Health (1st p/b ed). New York: HarperCollins. 154 pp. Paperback small trade, good condition, pages lightly toned, edges little foxed, spine little creased (during manufacture), minor edgewear. An analysis of seven major investigations into the mind’s effects on the health of the body. The investigations covered type A behavior, the relaxation response, biofeedback, psychoneuroimmunology, neuropeptides and their receptors, hypnosis, and imagery. ISBN: 0060922907. Our Book No: 40383. $12 AUD.
26. Dingwall, Eric J.; Hall, Trevor H. (1958). Four Modern Ghosts. London: Gerald Duckworth. 111 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, good plus condition (in good dustjacket), black & white photos centre spread, few diagrams, top edge jacket removed (front flap clipped), pages toned as usual, edges and rear page lightly foxed, some edgewear, bookshop sticker. Dr Eric Dingwall, well known for his investigations in the field of psychical research for the Society for Psychical Research, London, presents four intriguing new British cases from his investigations: the Yorkshire Museum Ghost; the Runcorn Poltergeist; Harry Price and Rosalie; and the Ousedale Haunt Our Book No: 17826. $30 AUD.
27. Durham, Martin (2007). White Rage: The Extreme Right and American Politics (1st p/b ed) [Extremism and Democracy Series]. Oxon: Routledge / Taylor & Francis. 180 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor crease top edge front cover & few pages, minor edgewear. This book examines the development of the modern American right and American politics from the 1950s to the present day. It explores the full panoply of extreme right groups, from the remnants of the Ku Klux Klan to skinhead groups and from the militia groups to Neo-Nazis. ISBN: 9780415362337. Our Book No: 23715. $40 AUD.
28. Edwards, Dave; Perry, Sam; Higgins, Ian (2015). The Grade Cricketer. Melbourne: Melbourne Books. 226 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, tiny spot fore-edge, minor edgewear. The most original humorous voice about cricket. The stories center on the fading hopes and dreams of some amateur sportsmen. ISBN: 9781922129819. Our Book No: 30499. $15 AUD.
29. Edwards, Tom; Chiera, Cosimo (2019). The Freedom of Virtue: Navigating Excellence in the Art of Living amongst a World of Instant Gratification (1st ed). Queensland: Australian Academic Press. 256 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, figures, tables, questions, minor edgewear. Argues our need to always feel comfortable, if not happy, has taken away our chances of achieving excellence in our own lives. Taking an evidence-based approach, the authors examine research findings from psychology, anthropology, and biology while also looking at religion and philosophy to identify six virtues which are foundational to our humanity and which orientate each of us to our best-lived life: Courage, diligence, wisdom, honour, justice, and kindness. ISBN: 9781925644142. Our Book No: 30510. $35 AUD.
30. England, Dr John; Gaul, Greg (illustrator) (2015 ). Kickstart: Recharge Your Life with a Pacemaker or Defibrillator: The Facts, the Figures and the Stories (Revised ed). Sydney, Blackheath: Brandl & Schlesinger. 210 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-illustrations, top spine slightly bumped, minor edgewear. This book includes all the information you might need once you are fitted with this brilliant piece of modern technology - how it is implanted, how it works, what you need to be careful about, and what to do in the unlikely event of anything going wrong. The author has had a pacemaker for 38 years, and as well as the heartening stories he has collected, he tells his own story about being both a cardiologist and a patient ISBN: 9781921556845. Our Book No: 40390. $30 AUD.
31. Flannery, Tim (20061). We Are the Weather Makers: The Story of Global Warming (Revised ed). Melbourne: Text Publishing. 275 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, colour photos, black & white text-photos, minor edgewear corners. Revised edition. This book is a concise and revised edition of "The Weather Makers" that will allow readers aged from nine to ninety to learn the facts about climate change. The author writes about cyclones and droughts, coral reefs and polar bears, wind energy, and nuclear power. He gives a timely reminder that we are all responsible for the way we influence our climate ISBN: 9781921145346. Our Book No: 40385. $12 AUD.
32. Forster Rutledge, Mrs (compiler) (1928). The Goulburn Cookery Book (33rd ed). Goulburn, NSW: Mrs Forster Rutledge / A. Johnstone (Printer). 200 pp. Paperback small trade, good condition, blue flexible cloth covers, black & white adverts, small faded patches covers, few marks front cover, foxing some pages, light toning pages, small mark spine, spine ends rubbed, bottom corner front cover creased, top corner rear cover rubbed, stain fore-edge two pages, top corners few pages creased, some edgewear. Thirty-third edition. This charming old recipe book has many recipes that were written to teach a beginner, many others are tested recipes given by friends. The ingredients are all carefully measured and weighed to help the cook get the best results Our Book No: 40364. $30 AUD.
33. Fowler, Frank; Geering, R. G. (introduction) (1975). Southern Lights and Shadows (Facsimile ed) [Australian literary reprints]. Sydney: Sydney University Press (SUP). 132 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minimal edgewear. A controversial description of the society and culture of Sydney in the 1850s. Differs from most books that focus on the goldfields and outback. Covers colonial society and youth in Sydney, politics, press, theatre, literature, lowlife and crime. Geering's introduction examines Fowler's career as a journalist, public lecturer, playwright and editor of the magazine 'The Month'. ISBN: 0424000172. Our Book No: 9056. $18 AUD.
34. Fox, Mem; Dyer, Jane (illustrator) (1996). Time for Bed (Reprint ed). Adelaide, Malvern: Omnibus Books / Scholastic Australia. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback large square quarto, card covers, stapled, very good condition, full-page colour drawings, minor edgewear. Australian children's picture story about animal babies and their mothers telling them it is time to go to bed. A beautiful story which will appeal to children of all ages with the easy-to-read text and large colourful pictures. A charming story for adults to read aloud because the little girl falls asleep at the end, too. ISBN: 9781862911949. Our Book No: 23248. $10 AUD.
35. Fox, Mem; Vivas, Julie (illustrator) (2008). Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge (Reprint ed). Sydney, Gosford: Omnibus Books / Scholastic Australia. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback square quarto, card covers, stapled, very good condition, colour drawings, minor edgewear. Australian children's picture story about a boy with four names who lives next door to an old people's home. Wilfrid discovers that Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt Cooper has four names like him, and she has lost her memory, so he must help her find it. This is a delightful story that will appeal to any age. ISBN: 9781862910645. Our Book No: 25020. $10 AUD.
36. Fox, Mem; Vivas, Julie (illustrator) (2008). Possum Magic (Reprint ed). Adelaide, Malvern: Omnibus Books / Scholastic Australia. Unnum 28 pp. Paperback square quarto, very good condition, colour drawings, minor edgewear. Classic Australian children's picture story. The large delightful drawings and simple text make this a wonderful story for all ages. ISBN: 9781862915657. Our Book No: 17792. $10 AUD.
37. Freedman, Sam (compiler) (1982). Solid Gold Maori Songs: 12 Best Sellers: Traditional and Contemporary Maori Music (Reprint ed). Wellington, NZ: Seven Seas Publications. 24 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, pictorial card cover, stapled, minor edgewear. Sheet music for 12 traditional Maori songs: Pokarekare - Manu rere - Karu karu - Hoki mai - Poi waka - Tahi nei taru kino - Haere mai - Hine e hine - Pania of the reef - E pari ra - Kamate! Kamate! - Haere ra e hine. Our Book No: 17817. $18 AUD.
38. French, Jacqueline [Jackie]; Thomas, Suzan (illustrator) (1999). Smudge. Cairns, QLD: Childerset. Unnum 28 pp. Paperback square quarto, very good condition, colour drawings (some full-page), minor edgewear. Australian children's picture story about a very special wombat in old age. The large drawings bring this story to life and will appeal to all ages. ISBN: 0949130729. Our Book No: 17787. $15 AUD.
39. Frost, Alan (2011). The First Fleet: The Real Story. Melbourne: Black Inc. 259 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minimal foxing edges, front cover & bottom corner rear cover creased, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. In 1787 a convoy of eleven ships, carrying 1400 people, set out from England for Botany Bay. According to the conventional account, it was a shambolic affair - underprepared, poorly equipped and ill-disciplined. Draws on hundreds of previously neglected records to debunk these persistent myths. He shows that the voyage was in fact meticulously planned - reflecting its importance to Britain's imperial and commercial ambitions. He examines the ships and supplies, passengers and behind-the-scenes discussions. Reveals the hopes and schemes of the planners of the voyage, and the experiences of those who made the voyage. ISBN: 9781863955294. Our Book No: 17786. $18 AUD.
40. Frylink Anderson, Linda (2016). Sailing in my Sarong: Around the World - a 30 Year Dream. Maroochydore, QLD: Linda Frylink Anderson / Express Print and Mail. 388 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, colour & black & white photos, minimal edgewear. The author and her husband set sail on a voyage around the world that took two years to complete. She suffered from sea sickness, was terrified of storms and had limited sailing experience, and they would take the trip in their home-built yacht. This 30,000-nautical-mile voyage was about achieving their dream. They gained a lot from their travels and gave a lot to the people they met on the journey. This is a story of overcomimg a challenge of massive proportions and leaving a small part of themselves in every single one of the 30 countries they visited in their swift yet tough yacht Valiam. ISBN: 9780980875300. Our Book No: 30509. $35 AUD.
41. Fyfe, Dorothy M. (1979). Maritime History of Wallaroo: An Outline 1802 - 1978 (1st ed). Adelaide: Dorothy M. Fyfe / Gillingham Printers. 64 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos, cover corners & spine little rubbed, minor edgewear, autograph (author's written & dated dedication title page). About Wallaroo, a port town on the western side of Yorke Peninsula in South Australia. From the introduction: This outline does not set out to cover all details of the maritime history of Wallaroo. It serves as a guide to the many facets of that development which has gone on over 100 years. Port Wallaroo has had its ups and downs, but even at its deepest descent into depression there remained the beautiful western-facing bay with its brooding feeling of history and its glorious sunsets. ISBN: 095955050X. Our Book No: 40408. $25 AUD.
42. Gallistel, Charles R.; Gibbon, John (2002). The Symbolic Foundations of Conditioned Behavior [John M. MacEachran Memorial Lecture Series]. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. 196 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, figures, tiny bump top spine, old price marks. This book looks at a new (cognitive) conceptual framework for the understanding of the learning that occurs in the Pavlovian and operant conditioning paradigms. ISBN: 0805829342. Our Book No: 21484. $15 AUD.
43. Garrett, Peter (2015). Big Blue Sky: A Memoir (1st ed). Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. 448 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), colour & black & white photos, pages faintly toned, base spine little rubbed. First edition. The Australian musician and politician writes about his childhood growing up in the northern suburbs of Sydney. His interest is in equality and justice. From the height of the 1960s culture shock at university, to being the lead of iconic Australian band Midnight Oil, his time as an activist for the environment, to being the only unaligned Cabinet minister in two Australian Labor (ALP) governments, he has an amazing story to tell. ISBN: 9781760110413. Our Book No: 30496. $30 AUD.
44. Gauld, Alan; Cornell, A. D. (1979). Poltergeists (1st ed). London: Routledge Kegan Paul (RKP). 406 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minimal foxing jacket (rear flap creased), edges lightly foxed, minor edgewear, rubber stamp on title page. First edition. A classic textbook on poltergeist phenomena, by two British parapsychologists associated with the Society for Psychical Research, London. (Rubber stamp of parapsychologist, Harvey J. Irwin.). ISBN: 0710001851. Our Book No: 10297. $40 AUD.
45. Ghani, Ashraf; Lockhart, Clare (2009). Fixing Failed States: A Framework for Rebuilding a Fractured World. New York: Oxford University Press (OUP). 254 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minimal edgewear. Today between 40 to 60 nations, home to more than one billion people, have either collapsed or are on the brink of failure. Ghani and Lockhart have long been active in the effort to save failed states, serving as World Bank officials, as advisers to the UN, and as high-level participants in the government of Afghanistan. (Ghani later became Finance Minister, and from 2014, President of Afghanistan.) They describe the issue vividly, offering an on-the-ground picture of why past efforts have not worked. They advance a groundbreaking 10-point new solution. This paperback edition adds a new preface. Many failing countries already have the resources they need, if only we knew how to connect them to global knowledge and put them to work in the right way. Supports their case with first-hand examples of struggling territories such as Afghanistan, Sudan, Kosovo and Nepal, as well as the world's success stories such as Singapore. ISBN: 9780195398618. Our Book No: 17802. $25 AUD.
46. Gleeson, Libby (2016). Eleanor, Elizabeth (New ed) [Alvarez, Beattie (illustrator)]. Armidale, NSW: Christmas Press. 120 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, black & white drawings, minor edgewear. New edition. Novel for young adults about a twelve year girl named Eleanor who does not want to move from her home in the cool New England region of New South Wales, to the hot dry Western Plains and a new home on her mothers's farm. One day she finds her grandmother's diary, written when she was Eleanor's own age. Eleanor reads the diary and comes to understand her grandmother's life, and to like the special qualities of the region she now lives in. Vividly written, this new edition of the author's first novel, originally published in 1984, features a new introduction. ISBN: 9780994234070. Our Book No: 40368. $15 AUD.
47. Gold, Dore (2004). Hatred's Kingdom: How Saudi Arabia Supports the New Global Terrorism (1st p/b, updated ed). Washington, DC: Regnery Publishing / Eagle Publishing. 335 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos centre spread, pages little toned, minor edgewear. Dore Gold describes how Saudi Arabia actively supporting terrorism. Using previously unpublished documents, the former Israeli Ambassador to the UN and internationally known Middle East strategy expert, pieces together the links between the current wave of global terrorism - from the World Trade Center to Bali, Indonesia - and the ideology of hatred taught in the schools and mosques of Saudi Arabia. This updated paperback edition has a new chapter on the War in Iraq. ISBN: 0895260611. Our Book No: 17808. $18 AUD.
48. Graves, Robert; Langley, Michael (editor) (2013). Robert Graves: Selected Poems (1st ed). London: Faber & Faber. 135 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket. This edition of Robert Graves's poems is selected with great care by the editor from across the full range of his lifetime's verse. In the introduction Longley makes a convincing case for the importance of this remarkable British poet who was born in London in 1895. He died in 1985 and is commemorated at Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey. ISBN: 9780571283835. Our Book No: 40370. $20 AUD.
49. Green, Peter; Jones, Rory (2016). Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic (Revised, updated ed). New York: William Morrow. 338 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, figures, small tear top spine at cover join, minor edgewear, texta stripe bottom edge. A guide on how celiac disease is properly diagnosed, treated, and managed. This revised edition includes the latest medical research on celiac disease, gluten intolerance, and gluten sensitivity, and a section on coping with the psychological aspects of living with a chronic illness and following a gluten-free diet. ISBN: 9780060766948. Our Book No: 40422. $18 AUD.
50. Hall, Timothy (1984). Tobruk 1941: The Desert Siege (1st ed). Sydney, North Ryde: Methuen. 224 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos, endpaper maps, reverse side jacket lightly foxed (spine ends creased), faint foxing edges, spine ends little creased & rubbed, small mark fore-edge rear cover, minor edgewear. The real story of the battle for Tobruk during WW2: the follies as well as the bravery - the inexplicable acts of humanness on both sides - the mutual respect of the opposing armies locked together in the brutalities of siege warfare - and of the enemy they shared, the North African desert. ISBN: 0454006675. Our Book No: 30503. $20 AUD.
51. Hamilton, Duchess of (Jill); Bruce, Julia (1998). The Flower Chain: The Early Discovery of Australian Plants. Sydney: Kangaroo Press. 160 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white drawings, colour photos, few full-page colour plates, top spine jacket torn repaired, minor edgewear. This richly illustrated book shows the chain of events that made Australia's rich and diverse flora known worldwide. A story that covers 200 remarkable years of discovery and settlement, from the first sightings of the Australian coast by the Dutch navigators, to the publication of the first comprehensive book on Australian flora in 1804. ISBN: 0864179227. Our Book No: 21716. $30 AUD.
52. Harvey, Roland (2011). All the Way to W.A.: Our Search for Uncle Kev (1st ed). Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. Unnum 28 pp. Hardback small square quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial covers, colour drawings & endpapers, minor edgewear. This is a family journey to Western Australia. Uncle Kev is lost. He is looking for the rare Bearded Night Parrot, and his family are looking for him! This delightful children's picture story with the easy-to-read text and full-colour full-page drawings will suit all ages. ISBN: 9781741758856. Our Book No: 40394. $15 AUD.
53. Herfurth, C. Paul (1958). A Tune a Day for String Bass: First Book for String Bass Instruction by Individual Lessons or Class Tuition (Revised ed) [Book 1: Plate: BM.10162]. Melbourne / Boston: Chappell & Company / Boston Music Company. 30 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, card cover, stapled, minor edgewear. Sheet music that provides training in ensemble playing when used with violin, viola, and cello books. Contains sheet music for 25 lessons, rudiments, plus test questions. (Copyright date, 1958.). Our Book No: 17823. $18 AUD.
54. Heritage, Helen; Bird, Carmel (foreword) (1994). The Messenger: Stories. Melbourne, North Carlton: Waxflower Press. 112 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, frontispiece, light foxing inside covers & flyleaf, light foxing edges, minor edgewear. This is a collection of fictional short stories that are subtle, compassionate and lucid. The author writes about cultural and political differences and goes into the lives of people on the edge of society. ISBN: 0646178172. Our Book No: 30513. $10 AUD.
55. Howell, Connie (2017). Lifting the Veil: Raising Consciousness (1st ed). Sydney, Hazelbrook: MoshPit Publishing. 140 pp. Paperback large wide octavo, very good condition, slight bump fore-edge, minor edgewear. The Australian author asks thoughtful new age questions about consciousness and reality. Some of the chapters include: The nature of reality - Resistance: friend or foe? - Love as a vibration - Earth: the great mother. ISBN: 9781925739213. Our Book No: 30492. $18 AUD.
56. Jacobi, Jolande (1975). The Psychology of C. G. Jung: An Introduction with Illustrations (7th, reprint ed). London: Routledge & Kegan Paul (RKP). 199 pp. Paperback large trade, very good condition, colour & black & white photos centre spread, drawings, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. Seventh edition. As an associate of C. G. Jung for many years, Jolande Jacobi is in a unique position to provide an interpretation of his work. This popular textbook provides a definitive and fascinating introduction to the Analytical Psychology of Carl Jung. ISBN: 0710015968. Our Book No: 17790. $20 AUD.
57. Jericho, Greg (2012). The Rise of the Fifth Estate: Social Media and Blogging in Australian Politics. Melbourne: Scribe Publications. 313 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear. The first book to examine social media (particularly Twitter) as a new force in covering Australian politics. Reveals who makes up the Australian political blogosphere, and tackles how journalists and federal politicians use social media and digital news, the motivations of bloggers and tweeters, and the eruption of Twitter wars. The mainstream media's reaction to all this tends to be defensive and dismissive. As Jericho found to his own cost when he was outed by The Australian as the anonymous media critic and blogger Grog's Gamut. Journalists welcome Twitter as a work tool but they have to deal with vitriolic online comments. ISBN: 9781921844935. Our Book No: 17818. $15 AUD.
58. Kelly, Max (1982). Faces of the Street: William Street Sydney 1916 (1st ed). Sydney, Paddington: Doak Press. 174 pp. Paperback large wide octavo, very good condition, sepia (brown-tinted) text-photos, minor edgewear A fascinating narrative of one of Sydney's most well-known streets. The many sepia photos help to tell the fascinating history of this part of Sydney. All the photos of people and places were taken between the 10th and 19th June, 1916. Their location is William Street and its surrounding lanes. ISBN: 0959670246. Our Book No: 40375. $30 AUD.
59. Kiddle, Margaret (1969). Caroline Chisholm (Abridged ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 208 pp. Hardback small octavo, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), pages faintly toned as usual, minor edgewear. Caroline Chisholm (1808 - 1877) worked tirelessly to assist single women and families to migrate and settle in colonial Australia. ISBN: 0522839126. Our Book No: 4556. $15 AUD.
60. King, Petrea (2004). Quest for Life: A Handbook for People with Cancer and Life-threatening Illnesses (3rd or new ed). Sydney: Random House. 377 pp. Paperback large trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos centre spread, minor edgewear. This third edition offers an improved quality of life and practical assistance to people with life-threatening illnesses and their families. Petrea describes her own personal experience (cured from leukaemia in 1983 after retreating to a monastery), her work with cancer and HIV/AIDS patients, as well as offering complementary supplements to orthodox treatment. ISBN: 1740513398. Our Book No: 15177. $15 AUD.
61. Knox, Malcolm (2013 ). Never a Gentlemen's Game: Blood, Boycotts and Bullyboys (1st p/b ed). Melbourne, Richmond: Hardie Grant. 442 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, frontispiece, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. A history of cricket that brings to life famous aspects: the crusades against chucking - the short and often tragic lives of many of the early Test cricketers - the riots on the field, and fisticuffs behind the scenes - and the lust for money on all sides. It was a time when the rules were still evolving, and the shape and form of modern cricket was being cast. Shortlisted for the 2013 Cricket Society and MCC Book of the Year award. ISBN: 9781742706641. Our Book No: 30506. $20 AUD.
62. Landsberg, Max (2015). The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You (Revised, reprint ed). London: Profile Books. 145 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, figures, exercises, black & white drawings, small light stain rear cover & last two pages, minor edgewear. This inspiring book provides practical tips and techniques for making work more rewarding through the habit of coaching. Now completely updated and featuring two brand new chapters. ISBN: 9781781253328. Our Book No: 40403. $16 AUD.
63. Lauder, Robert E.; Ullmann, Liv (prologue) (1989). God, Death, Art and Love: The Philosophical Vision of Ingmar Bergman. New York: Paulist Press. 198 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos, light toning pages, light foxing edges, minor edgewear. This is one of the few books devoted entirely to a critical discussion of the philosophic vision of the famous Swedish film-maker and director, written by a professional philosopher from a philosophic viewpoint. Written for anyone interested in Western culture, and for lovers of film. ISBN: 0809131080. Our Book No: 40372. $18 AUD.
64. Lindsay, Norman; Lindsay, Lionel (essay) (1974). Norman Lindsay's Pen Drawings. Sydney: Ure Smith. 56 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white drawings, frontispiece black & white portrait, edge tear rear cover jacket (7 cm) repaired, endpapers faintly toned, bottom edge cover little rubbed, minor edgewear, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. This edition is a reproduction of 56 art works taken from a book published in 1931. It includes some of Norman Lindsay's finest drawings, and all the major series are represented: Dumas, Rabelais, Shakespeare, Decameron of Boccaccio, the Memoirs of Casanova, Petronius, and pastoral scenes. Includes an essay by Lionel Lindsay on Norman's life, inspiration and technique. ISBN: 072540194X. Our Book No: 21780. $25 AUD.
65. Lindsay, Norman (1977). Saturdee. Sydney: Arkon / Angus & Robertson. 208 pp. Paperback, good plus condition, small black & white drawings, pages lightly toned, plastic coating cover lifting edges, some edgewear, owner's written name (crossed out). A true classic of Australian literature, originally published in 1934, text and illustrations by Norman Lindsay. A humorous tale of small boys growing up in Redheap - the town that is the setting for Norman Lindsay's three novels about boyhood and adolescence in the Ballarat district of Victoria, where he himself grew up. It is very much a book about boys - not at all a book for boys. ISBN: 0207134812. Our Book No: 17785. $20 AUD.
66. Lowe, Ian (2005). Living in the Hothouse: How Global Warming Affects Australia. Melbourne: Scribe Publications. 232 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, tables, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear, remainder stripe bottom edge. A comprehensive review of the current scientific knowledge of global warming and a balanced explanation of the effects it will have on our daily lives. The author has studied climate change for many years. ISBN: 1920769412. Our Book No: 40387. $15 AUD.
67. Macfie, Rebecca (2017). Tragedy at Pike River Mine: How and Why 29 Men Died (Reprint ed). Wellington, NZ: AWA Press. 276 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, colour & black & white photos, corner tips covers little scuffed, minor edgewear. The story of a massive explosion that rocked the underground Pike River coal mine, deep in a mountain range in New Zealand's South Island. Twenty-nine men were trapped inside. Tests showed very high levels of carbon monoxide in the mine and the presence of fire - conditions deemed unsurvivable. For five days families and friends waited, after a second violent blast, all hope was extinguished. Based on extensive research and over a hundred interviews, this powerful book provides chilling insights into the causes of the tragedy, and puts a human face on the people who suffered, and suffer still. Winner of two NZ Book Awards, and one Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy Media Award 2014. ISBN: 9781877551901. Our Book No: 40423. $45 AUD.
68. Mackay Brown, George (2012). Six Lives of Fankle the Cat (Reprint ed). Edinburgh: Kelpies / Floris Books. 128 pp. Paperback small trade, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. This is the story for young adults of Fankle, the skinny black kitten that Jenny has adopted. He is no ordinary kitten, he has lived six lives so far and tells Jenny tales of his former lives. This very special book is a rich and rewarding read for adults and children alike. ISBN: 9780863159824. Our Book No: 40373. $10 AUD.
69. Manbulloo, Karen; Angelo, Denise (illustrator); Haysom, Julie (illustrator); (illustrator), Binjari Buk Mob (2019). Molly the Pig (Moli det Bigibigi) (Reprint ed). Sydney: Indigenous Literacy Foundation. 23 pp. Paperback oblong, very good plus condition, colour drawings, minimal edgewear. Australian children's picture book about a pig named Molly who was found in the bush by Karen’s brother (Katherine, Northern Territory). This is a true story from Karen Manbulloo. Molly loves eating weetbix and soon grows into a large pig who scares away the dogs that used to chase her when she was tiny. This is a beautiful positive story that will make children and adults happy to read it. ISBN: 9780648155430. Our Book No: 40371. $15 AUD.
70. Mass, Nurino; Mass, Tess (illustrator) (1966). China: The Waking Giant. Sydney, Summer Hill: The Writer's Press. 103 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, illustrated endpapers, black & white drawings, spine little faded, corner tip rear cover little rubbed, pages lightly toned, faint foxing covers, minor edgewear. This small collectible book for young adults has a big purpose in a changing world. It is a simple, friendly introduction to China. In its few pages and its simple language, this book sums up the country's remarkable history. The cover, and the expressive line drawings throughout, are the work of the author's 13-year-old daughter, Tess. (No date, but 1966, Trove.). Our Book No: 40374. $30 AUD.
71. Mayne, Alan (2014). Alternative Interventions: Aboriginal Homelands, Outback Australia and the Centre for Appropriate Technology. Adelaide, Kent Town: Wakefield Press. 172 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, colour photos, one sepia (brown-tinted) photo, minimal edgewear. This book is about an Aboriginal-owned science and technology organisation (CAT). In 2010, thirty years after an initial start-up grant of $40,000 the group was operating with an annual turnover in excess of $20 million and a staff of 130 providing technical services to over 500 remote Aboriginal communities spread across the northern half of Australia. The author is an historian who has unraveled a story of people, place and relationships. This is a personal and political journey of ideas into action, intervention through innovation. This is a very readable book that helps broaden our understanding of Indigenous Australia. ISBN: 9781743052723. Our Book No: 40377. $30 AUD.
72. McGonigal, Kelly (2015). The Upside of Stress: Why Stress is Good for You (and How to Get Good at It) (Reprint ed). London: Vermilion Publishing. 279 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, small mark bottom edge, minor edgewear, edges & pages lightly toned. This book shows ways to use stress to improve learning and performance. The author is a health psychologist and lecturer at Stanford University. The book is based on cutting-edge research and draws on entertaining stories and practical exercises to help you make stress work for you. ISBN: 9780091955267. Our Book No: 40418. $20 AUD.
73. McLeod, Judyth (1994). Fragrant Native Gardens [Mount Annan Botanic Garden Native Plant Series]. Sydney: Simon & Schuster. 144 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, colour text-photos (few full-page), bottom corner front cover creased, light foxing title page & inside covers, minimal foxing fore-edge, minor edgewear. By Australian university lecturer in horticulture, and co-owner of Honeysuckle Cottage, a specialist nursery for cottage gardens. This book is a comprehensive guide to the fragrances of many Australian plants. There are details of the different smells of flowers, foliage and bark, the appearance of the plants, their native habitats and their growing requirements. ISBN: 0731804228. Our Book No: 40400. $20 AUD.
74. McNeill Carley, Isabel (1991). Eleven Miniatures: Early Piano Recital Pieces [Allans Edition no 1148]. [Melbourne]: Allans Publishing. 16 pp. Paperback small folio, very good condition, stapled, card cover, minor edgewear. Sheet music for 11 piano pieces: March of the little men - A sad song - Play party - Dawn - Spring solstice - The shepherd boy - Hoe down - Spring morning - Hide and seek - A fairy tale - On parade. (Copyright, 1962, renewed 1991.). Our Book No: 17811. $15 AUD.
75. McQueen, Humphrey (1986). Social Sketches of Australia 1888 - 1975 (Reprint ed). Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. 255 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, black & white text-photos & drawings, pages lightly toned, edges lightly foxed, rear cover little creased, tiny mark front cover, minimal edgewear & scuffing. This book is about the lives and times of ordinary people who lived in Australia from1888 to 1975. Using accounts from regional histories, pen portraits, anecdotes, diaries and photographs, examines everyday life - what people wore, ate, houses they lived in, what they learned at school, and how the environment , health, and working conditions affected them. There are many illustrations to describe this fascinating look at the last 100 years. ISBN: 0140044353. Our Book No: 30502. $20 AUD.
76. Mercier, Emile (1954). Hang on Please! (1st ed). Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 120 pp. Paperback small oblong, good condition, card covers (blue cloth spine, little flecked), black & white cartoons, rear cover DETACHED, covers & endpapers foxed, front cover creased, pages toned, some edgewear. A great little book of Emile Mercier's cartoons that appeared in The Sun newspaper. Our Book No: 21598. $15 AUD.
77. Mercier, Emile (1958). My Wife's Swallowed a Bishop (1st ed). Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 128 pp. Paperback small oblong, good condition, card covers (red cloth spine), black & white cartoons, pages toned, covers little marked, covers & reverse side little foxed, some edgewear, red texta mark front free flyleaf. A great little book of Emile Mercier's cartoons that appeared in The Sun newspaper. Our Book No: 21552. $20 AUD.
78. Milne, Elissa (1999). Little Peppers (A Vibrant Collection of Compositions Written Especially for the Young Performer) (Australian ed). Sydney: Paperbox Music. 20 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, stapled, card cover, minor edgewear. Nine simple pieces of sheet music for young players: Wake up - Sunshower - Chase - Lost - Found - Times two - Cat's whiskers - Rhyme time - Skedaddle. ISBN: 1876639016. Our Book No: 17814. $15 AUD.
79. Milne, Elissa (2000). Even More Little Peppers (A Vibrant Collection of Compositions Written Especially for the Young Performer) (1st ed). Sydney: Paperbox Music. 20 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, stapled, card cover, minor edgewear. Nine simple pieces of sheet music for young players: Have a nice day - Lizard - Mister Bumble - Smarty pants - Too cool - Chatterbox - Larrikin - Ashes - Zigzag. ISBN: 1876639024. Our Book No: 17815. $15 AUD.
80. Mitchell, Elyne; Power, Margaret (illustrator) (2003). The Silver Brumby [and] Wild Echoes Ringing (Recent reprint ed). Sydney: Angus & Robertson / HarperCollins. 263 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, small black & white drawings (vignettes), top spine little creased, minor edgewear. A novel for young adults about Australia's wild horses. This is the first book in the series, and includes the last story written by Elyne Mitchell: Wild Echoes Ringing. ISBN: 0207198624. Our Book No: 26949. $12 AUD.
81. Monro, Amie M. (1922). The Practical Australian Cookery: A Collection of Up-to-date Tried Recipes for Domestic and General Use (7th revised & enlarged ed). Sydney: Dymock's Book Arcade. 207 pp. Hardback small trade, no jacket, good condition, red cloth-covered boards, new black cloth spine, black & white adverts, faded patches covers, foxing some pages & edges, light toning pages, few small stains covers, closed tear rear cover, minimal pencil annotation. This charming old recipe book was written by the instructress for Cookery and Domestic Science, Sydney Technical College. The recipes cover Beverages, Breakfast And Luncheon Dishes, Cakes, Scones Etc, Fish, Invalid Cookery, Jam Making, Meats, Cold Meat Cookery, Miscellaneous Recipes, Puddings, Soups, Sandwiches and Vegetables. Our Book No: 40362. $30 AUD.
82. Morrison, Alec (2003). Frank Gardiner: Bushranger to Businessman (1830 to 1904). Brisbane, Milton: John Wiley. 162 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, few black & white drawings, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. This book is about the bushranger Frank Gardiner. In 1862, his gang pulled off the biggest robbery of colonial times, relieving the Forbes-Sydney gold escort of bullion and banknotes worth $4 million in today's money. He was given ten years in Darlinghurst Gaol, then he emigrated to California where he began a new life as a prosperous businessman, running a saloon in San Francisco's notorious 'Barbary Coast' district, before marrying a rich widow and retiring to a fine ranch. (1 of 2 available copies.). ISBN: 1740310810. Our Book No: 23972. $18 AUD.
83. Morrissey, Di (2019). Arcadia: A Modern Mystery Born in a Timeless Tasmanian Forest (1st p/b ed). Sydney: Pan Macmillan. 387 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good plus condition, minimal edgewear. Romance novel set in Tasmania. This book is a Tasmanian tale of ancient forests, art and science, love and above all, friendship. An adventure road trip becomes a hunt for the story of the past, to solve the present, and save their future. ISBN: 9781760784911. Our Book No: 40389. $20 AUD.
84. Napier, Valantyne (1986). Act as Known: Australian Speciality Acts on the World Vaudeville Variety Circuits from 1900 to 1960. Melbourne, Brunswick: Globe Press. 216 pp. Paperback large trade, very good condition, black & white photos & drawings, programs, pages lightly toned, faint foxing edges & few pages, minor bump top edge rear cover, minor edgewear. Documents the fascinating lives of Australian vaudeville and variety acts. It is about the theatres, the agents, the special theatrical accommodation, the travel and the institutions which once served this very large commercial enterprise. Many of the best speciality acts were Australian and they toured the world taking their special skills to the beautiful theatres which were once found in every city. The author herself performed on the world circuits and her parents also toured the world with their very successful acts "Napier and Yvonne" and "The Spider and the Butterfly". A wonderful book about Australia's entertainment sector. ISBN: 0958854319. Our Book No: 40366. $35 AUD.
85. Newnham, Richard; Lin-tung, Tan (helper) (1971). About Chinese (1st ed). Harmondsworth: Pelican Original / Penguin Books. 188 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, pages & lightly toned, some small indentions rear cover & last few pages, minor edgewear. An excellent overview of the Chinese language, highlighting main features such as ideograms and spoken tones, and suggests how these affect the exchange of ideas among the Chinese. Includes two texts - a classical poem, and a speech by Chairman Mao - that are analysed in clear non-technical terms. ISBN: 0140211314. Our Book No: 4557. $10 AUD.
86. O'Brien, John; Linane, Fr T. J. (editor); Mecham, Fr F. A. (editor); Freeman, Cardinal James (foreword) (1975). The Men of '38 and Other Pioneer Priests. Kilmore, VIC: Lowden Publishing Co. 247 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), green cloth boards, black & white photos, faint foxing reverse side jacket, minimal foxing foxing edges, top corner little bumped front cover, sticker mark free flyleaf, loosely inserted documents. John O'Brien was the pen-name of Monsignor Patrick Joseph Hartigan, who wrote "Around The Boree Log" and other popular books of poems. This book is a reprint of a series of articles originally published in the Australasian Catholic Record (1943 - 1945), about Dr Ullathorne’s recruiting visit to the Irish seminaries in 1837. The book is set against the background of the harsh and lonely life of the recruited pioneer priests in the early settlements. Vividly recalls numerous incidents of Australia’s past and people, told with the rich understanding and humour that is the hallmark of this well-known Australian writer. (Loosely inserted: photocopied obituary of Rev. Eugene Luckie, and an archivist letter about him.). ISBN: 0909706050. Our Book No: 40381. $25 AUD.
87. Owen, A. R. G. (1964). Can We Explain the Poltergeist? (1st ed). New York: Garrett Publications. 436 pp. Hardback thick octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), light foxing edges, faint foxing reverse side jacket (top corner front flap removed, tiny scuffs rear side), light foxing endpapers, light foxing flyleaves & title page, rubber stamps, protected by removable plastic archival sleeve. A comprehensive and stimulating book about poltergeists experiences by a leading Canadian parapsychologist. Examines various theories of both classical and modern physics, and considers the findings of medicine, psychology, and parapsychology in attempting to discover the reasons and operational methods behind poltergeist outbreaks Our Book No: 40401. $60 AUD.
88. Pascoe, Bruce; AIATSIS (2009). The Little Red Yellow Black Book (2nd, reprint ed). Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press. 139 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, colour text-photos, little crease front cover, few black & white text-photos, minor edgewear. This book is an invaluable pocket-sized guide written from an Indigenous perspective, with mini-essays providing a range of views. Some of the topics covered include: Australian Aboriginal history, culture, arts, sport, languages, health, employment, resistance and reconciliation. ISBN: 0855756152. Our Book No: 40406. $18 AUD.
89. Patterson, Brian (1998). Fresh! Seeds from the Past and Food for Tomorrow: Using Plant Food in Your Daily Life. Sydney, St Leonards: Allen & Unwin. 170g pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, light foxing edges & inside covers top edge, minimal foxing top edge flyleaf, minor edgewear. This book is about buying better food, eating an interesting and varied diet, and will to help to produce safer and more innovative results in the kitchen. It covers how to best store food in the fridge and freezer, and how to keep pests out of the flour and spices. Modern processes like controlled atmosphere storage and genetic engineering are discussed. The book will interest students looking for an introduction to the history and future of plant foods, anyone concerned about where technology is going, and anyone involved in the production, distribution or selling of plant foods. ISBN: 1864487356. Our Book No: 30497. $18 AUD.
90. Perry, Norma (et al.) (2017). The Witches' Houses of Annandale [AURA Annandale Urban Research Association Journal, no 2]. Sydney, Annandale: Annandale Urban Research Association (AURA). 82 pp. Paperback small folios, as new condition, card cover, black & white & colour text-photos, black & white drawings, maps, minimal edgewear. An illustrated and documented history of each of eight elegant Victorian gothic mansions in Johnston Street, Annandale (The Abbey, Oybin, Greba, Roselle, Highroyd, Hockingdon, Kenilworth, Claremont). Plus a biography of five persons associated with these heritage treasures. Unfortunately some have been demolished for ugly blocks of flats. (No date, but 2017.). Our Book No: 17800. $25 AUD.
91. Phippen, Angela; Macarthur, Scott (assistant) (2002). The War Memorials of St Peters Municipality Sydney, New South Wales (Incorporating the Suburbs of St Peters, Sydenham and Tempe). Sydney: Marrickville Heritage Society. 133 pp. Paperback small folio, as new condition, black & white photos, glossy paper, copy 2. A record of the men and women of this inner Sydney municipality who served their country in the wars of the 20th century, and whose names were memorialized on war memorials and honour rolls. ISBN: 0958077304. Our Book No: 6344A. $30 AUD.
92. Pinhey, Sally (2014). The Botanical Illustrator's Handbook (1st ed). Wiltshire: Crowood Press. 128 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, colour illustrations (few full-page), few black & white sketches, bottom corner tip front cover little scuffed, minor edgewear. Takes a closer look at how to portray the riches of the botanical world. Written by a respected British artist and drawing on her wealth of experience, the book offers new insights and a fresh approach to the wonders of botanical illustration. There is advice on labelling and quality of paper, and choice of pencils, paints and brushes, techniques for the mixing and handling of greens, chapters on magnification, managing detail and using scale bars, instructions for using perspective techniques, and painting complex structures such as pine cones and umbellifers, and tricky details such as hairs. The author has been a freelance horticultural and garden illustrator for over 20 years. ISBN: 9781847977175. Our Book No: 40413. $30 AUD.
93. Pinto, Octavio (1934). Scenas Infantis (Memories of Childhood): Five Pieces for Piano [Imperial Edition 1001: Plate B.8757]. Melbourne / New York: Allans Music / G. Schirmer Inc. 14 pp. Paperback small folio, very good condition, stapled, card cover, minor edgewear. Sheet music for five piano pieces for children: Run, run! - Ring around the rosy - March, little soldier - Sleeping time - Hobby horse. (Copyright, 1934, but later decimal reprint.). Our Book No: 17813. $15 AUD.
94. Pizzey, Graham; Doyle, Roy (illustrator) (1986). A Field Guide to the Birds of Australia (Reprint ed). Sydney: Collins. 460 pp. Paperback small thick octavo, very good condition, stiffened cover, full-page colour & black & white drawings, endpaper map, single-colour distribution maps, minor edgewear, owner's written name & details. The most comprehensive work yet published in one volume on Australian bird life. Full details are given of the field marks, habits, voice characteristics, breeding and nesting habits, and range of each species. To enable quick field identification each description is linked by a serial number to its illustration and also to its relevant distribution map. ISBN: 0002172828. Our Book No: 3958. $25 AUD.
95. Popovic, Dr Helena (2012). In Search of My Father: Dementia is No Match for a Daughter's Determination (Reprint ed). Brisbane: Choose Health. 346 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, autograph (author's written dedication title page). An inspiring story of a daughter (a Serbian-Australian medical practitioner and motivational speaker) who is carer for her father: the man beyond the grief, despair and dementia. This moving story is part personal diary, part scientific treatise and part practical guide, put together with humorous anecdotes. (Written dedication: Live life as a daring adventure! With best wishes, Helena.). ISBN: 9781742840048. Our Book No: 26664. $30 AUD.
96. Presbyterian Church of New South Wales, Women's Missionary Association (compiler) (1931). Cookery Book of Good and Tried Receipts [Recipes] (20th ed). Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 231 pp. Hardback small trade, good condition, red cloth covered boards, new black cloth spine, black & white adverts, cover corners rubbed, foxing some pages & edges, light toning edges & pages, few scuffs rear cover, small stain bottom corner inside rear cover & last few pages, some edgewear. Twentieth edition, revised, enlarged, and re-arranged. This new edition of this very popular cookbook has been brought up to date by the inclusion of many new receipts (recipes), and the contents have been classified and re-arranged to assist with finding what is needed. Our Book No: 40363. $55 AUD.
97. Ryan, Maurice (editor); Jensen, Harry (foreword); Duncan, R. B. (preface) (1979). The Story of a North Coast City: Lismore (1st ed). Sydney, Milsons Point / Lismore, NSW: Currawong Press / Lismore City Council. 205 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition, (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, minor edgewear dustjacket, faint foxing book edges, base of spine little rubbed, few little dents dustjacket, dustjacket little rubbed, tiny scuff bottom edge rear cover, small part top edge rear cover slightly rubbed, tiny rubbed spot top edge near spine inside front cover, errata page pasted to front endpaper, autograph (signed by Lismore city mayor on flyleaf). This fascinating comprehensive history of Lismore, New South Wales, has been published to celebrate the centenary of the Lismore City Council’s first 100 years. The book will interest anyone who is interested in the Lismore district. Heavy. ISBN: 0908001142. Our Book No: 40376. $30 AUD.
98. Rybarz, Beverley (2005). The Bridge Builder. Adelaide, Kent Town: Wakefield Press. 181 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, colour photos, minor edgewear. Fascinating autobiography of Australian woman who lived in Papua New Guinea (PNG) from 1951 until 1961, and worked as confidential secretary to the District Commissioner. It is a story filled with adventure, passion and risk taking. Mostly about life with her husband, Stam Rybarz, a complex Polish man, whose construction company built roads and bridges for the PNG government. Reveals a rich and beautiful country struggling to come to terms with approaching independence. ISBN: 1862546592. Our Book No: 20716. $15 AUD.
99. Sachs, Jeffrey (2012). The Price of Civilization (Reawakening Virtue and Prosperity after the Economic Fall). London: Vintage / Random House. 322 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition. The brilliant economist and the bestselling author of The End of Poverty and Common Wealth, has written an essential book for the modern world. In this time of crisis, he sets out a bold and provocative, yet responsible and achievable, plan. Reveals why we must, and how we can, change our economic culture in this time of crisis. A masterful roadmap for prosperity, a programme designed to bridge divides and provide a way forward that we, and our leaders, ignore at our peril. ISBN: 9780099535768. Our Book No: 17809. $15 AUD.
100. Sardar, Ziauddin; Davies, Merryl Wyn (2002). Why do People Hate America? (Australian ed). Sydney / Cambridge: Allen & Unwin / Icon Books. 231 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minimal edgewear. In the billowing white dust of Lower Manhattan on September 11, 2001, a woman, bewildered and emotional asks: Why do they hate us? Many people throughout the world do hate America. Understand their rational - and irrational - feelings in this timely exploration of America as seen through non-Western eyes. ISBN: 184046383X. Our Book No: 4558. $10 AUD.
101. Satel, Sally; Lilienfeld, Scott O. (2013). Brainwashed: The Seductive Appeal of Mindless Neuroscience (Reprint ed). New York: New York. 226 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket (front flap little creased), pages faintly toned, few tiny marks bottom edge. Provocative examination of the human obsession with neuroscience, illuminating what contemporary neuroscience and brain imaging can - and cannot - tell us about ourselves. Provides a much-needed reminder about the many factors that make us who we are. Written by a psychiatrist and a psychologist. ISBN: 9780465018772. Our Book No: 40382. $30 AUD.
102. Schultz, Julianne (editor); Phillips, Sandra (editor) (2018). Griffith Review 60: First Things First. Melbourne: Text Publishing. 344 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good plus condition, colour photos spread, minimal edgewear. Inspired by the Uluru Statement from the Heart, and featuring outstanding Indigenous writers, this book of essays is an urgent, nuanced and robust call to listen, hear and respond to questions of Indigenous constitutional recognition. More than 200 years after European settlers arrived, the need to find an honourable way to recognise and celebrate the unique history of this country as home to the oldest living civilisation is long overdue. A Makaratta Commission is the preferred way to do this, to make agreements and enable truth-telling about our history. Are we ready to make peace and devise firmer ground for laws, policies and outcomes that improve Indigenous and non-Indigenous life in Australia? With this special edition, Griffith Review excavates history and re-imagines the future, while not forgetting the urgencies of the present. ISBN: 9781925603316. Our Book No: 17798. $25 AUD.
103. Scott-James, Anne (1987). The Cottage Garden (Reprint ed). Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. 159 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good condition, colour full-page photos, black & white drawings & text-photos, pages lightly toned, faint foxing inside covers, minor edgewear. This is the history of the cottage garden in Britain, from Chaucer’s time until now. The many colour photos and black & white drawings bring this book to life. This would be a charming and inspiring book for any garden lover. ISBN: 0140463976. Our Book No: 40384. $18 AUD.
104. Selikowitz, Mark (2003). Dyslexia and Other Learning Difficulties (2nd, reprint ed) [The Facts Series]. London: Oxford University Press (OUP). 159 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, figures, minor edgewear. This book is about the problems of intelligent children who nevertheless struggle to learn. The author has written a clear and sympathetic guide to the often controversial subject of dyslexia and other learning disorders. ISBN: 0192626612. Our Book No: 40391. $15 AUD.
105. Shaw, Claudia Chan (2012). Collectomania: From Objects of Desire to Magnificent Obsession. Sydney: HarperCollins. 293 pp. Paperback large wide octavo, very good condition, colour text-photos (few black & white), corner tips little scuffed, minor edgewear. The author is a passionate collector of many interesting collectables. In this fascinating book the author visits the world of collectors and their collections with anything from tin robots, classic cars, letters from celebrities, snow domes, books, vintage fashion, modern art, bakelite radios and wine. The author shares secrets about her own love of Humphrey Bogart memorabilia to Astro Boy. She was a presenter and co-host of the ABC-TV program "Collectors". ISBN: 9780733325977. Our Book No: 30060. $30 AUD.
106. Simpson, Catherine; Snook-Hann, Joanne (illustrator) (2006). Sailor: The Hangashore Newfoundland Dog (8th Printing ed). St John's, Newfoundland: Tuckamore Books. Unnum 28 pp. Paperback small wide quarto, good plus condition, full-page colour drawings, few small creases covers & internally, minor edgewear corner tips. A delightful children's picture story about a very special Newfoundland dog named Sailor. He did not like water until he had to save his owner Ike when he fell in the water. The cute illustrations will bring joy to any age. The story is inspired by Bosun, Cormack and Dory, three beautiful Newfoundland dogs. The author and illustrator both live in Newfoundland ISBN: 1895387981. Our Book No: 40404. $12 AUD.
107. Sinclair, Anne; Whiteside, Shaun (translator) (2014). My Grandfather's Gallery: A Family Memoir of Art and War (1st translated ed). Melbourne: Text Publishing. 224 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white & sepia (brown-tinted) & few colour photos, corners front cover creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear corners. This is the story of her grandfather. In September 1940, a famous European art dealer disembarked in New York, one of many Jewish refugees fleeing Vichy France. He left behind his beloved Paris gallery: he saved his family, but his paintings - masterpieces by Cezanne, Monet, Sisley and others - were sized by the Nazis and the art dealer's own legacy was obliterated. More than 50 years later, the author found a box of letters and she discovered who her mother's father really was. Drawing on his intimate correspondence with Picasso, Matisse, Braque and others, she traces the life of a legendary member of the Parisian art scene. The author both reframes 20th century art history and reclaims family history. ISBN: 9781922147288. Our Book No: 30500. $18 AUD.
108. Sitsky, Larry (1986). Century: 128 Piano Pieces for Young Players in Four Volumes (Volume 1). Sydney, Chatswood: Magpie Music. 20 pp. Paperback quarto, very good condition, card cover, stapled (little rusted), minor edgewear, rubber stamps. Multicultural piano sheet music for young adults. This Volume 1 consists of: Chinese teasing song - Sadly - Korean song - Lasers - Chinese folktune - Percussion study - Hybrid - Rounds - Frere Jacques - Force field - Drone - Background - Alternate hands - Echo song - Ad infinitum - Israeli acceleration dance - Red Indian hand game song - Embellishment - Korean mirror song - Hassidic dance tune - Prism - March of the robots - Ukrainian folksong - Jewish dance melody - Armenian melody - Piece for piano and metronome - Vilna ghetto song - Heatwave - With footstamping - Duet. (Copyright, 1986. Rubber stamps, complimentary copy, and "these words appear black on illegal copies": red on our copy.). Our Book No: 17810. $15 AUD.
109. Sparrow, Jacqueline; Hanly, Gil (photographer) (2002). Subtropical Plants: A Practical Gardening Guide (Australian ed). Melbourne, Camberwell: Viking / Penguin Books. 176 pp. Paperback large quarto (with flaps), very good condition, colour photos, faint foxing edges, minimal edgewear. Scarce Australian edition, by New Zealand authors. This book is a guide not only to the range of attractive subtropical but also to selected tropical plants that can be grown in subtropical areas. A great source of ideas, this inspiring book is a delightful look at an increasingly popular style of gardening. Illustrated throughout with 200 colour photos, making it an important reference to a gardening library. ISBN: 0670040029. Our Book No: 40402. $30 AUD.
110. Street, Andrew P. (2016). The Short and Excruciatingly Embarrassing Reign of Captain Abbott. Sydney: Allen & Unwin. 293 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, figures, minimal edgewear. In August 2013, Australia welcomed Tony Abbott as its new prime minister. Voters were tired of the endless drama of the Gillard-Rudd years. But, as the Fairfax columnist details, a litany of gaffes, blunders and questionable captain's calls characterised the subsequent reign of the Abbott government, following the trail from bold promises to questionable realities, unlikely recoveries to inexplicable own goals. And Malcolm Turnbull's assurances of support to the day he pushed the Captain off his bike once and for all. Comes with a colourful supporting characters and dangerous loons that only a nation unfamiliar with the concept of below-the-line voting could elect. ISBN: 9781760290542. Our Book No: 17784. $18 AUD.
111. Streibich, Karl-Heinz (2014). The Digital Enterprise: The Moves and Motives of the Digital Leaders. Darmstadt, Germany: Karl-Heinz Streibich. 353 pp. Hardback octavo, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), minimal edgewear. A comprehensive report on the digital revolution that is transforming all businesses, regardless of industry and company size. Every business should take advantage of the four new digital forces: mobile, social, cloud, and big data). The author is CEO of a leading German software company: Software AG. This book catalogs digital innovation across 30 industries and 35 countries, including many industry leaders. ISBN: 9780989756402. Our Book No: 17793. $30 AUD.
112. Sturgess, Des (2001). The Tangled Web. Brisbane: Bedside Books. 349 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, minimal foxing title page & edges, minor edgewear. The author regularly appeared for the defence in the criminal courts of Queensland. In 1984 he became a QC and the state's first director of prosecutions. He describes what he found, rightly or wrongly, to be shortcomings in the management of the criminal justice system regarding extensive corruption in the Queensland police force (Terry Lewis, Jack Herbert, etc.). He is now retired. ISBN: 0646411241. Our Book No: 26781. $90 AUD.
113. Sunbeam, Corporation Limited (1955). How to use Your Sunbeam Mixmaster. Sydney: Sunbeam Corporation Limited. 48 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, stapled pamphlet, new black cloth spine, two coloured adverts, pages lightly toned, bottom corner front cover & top corner rear cover creased, few light creases covers, covers little marked. This pamphlet gives full instructions for the Sunbeam mixmaster. There are 172 tested recipes included. (No date, but 1950s, Trove.). Our Book No: 40365. $30 AUD.
114. Suttor, George; Mackaness, George (editor); Suttor, Sir Francis B. (introduction) (1977). Memoirs of George Suttor F.L.S., Banksian Collector (1774 - 1859) (Reprint ed) [Australian Historical Monographs]. Dubbo, NSW: Review Publications. 79 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, stapled pamphlet, flexible covers, black & white illustrations, faint foxing edges, staples faintly rusted, tiny scuff top spine, minor edgewear. George Suttor, the family founder in Australia, was born at Chelsea, near London, in 1774, being the third and youngest son of William Suttor. George Suttor married in 1798, Sarah Maria Dobinson, who was born in 1775. The account of Captain Cook's voyage and his discoveries in Australia determined George Suttor to seek his fortune in the new country, and having become acquainted with Sir Joseph Banks, who had accompanied Cook to Australia, the botanist encouraged the idea of a man who loved plants and understood their cultivation to come out here. (No XIII in this new series.). Our Book No: 40379. $16 AUD.
115. Tench, Watkin; Flannery, Tim (editor) (2000). 1788: Comprising "A Narrative of the Expedition to Botany Bay" and "A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson" (Reprint ed). Melbourne: Text Publishing. 276 pp. Paperback, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear. Watkin Tench stepped ashore at Botany Bay with the First Fleet in January 1788. He was in his late twenties, a captain of the marines, and on the adventure of his life. Insatiably curious, with a natural genius for storytelling, Tench wrote two enthralling accounts of the infant colony (both shortened, edited and introduced here by Tim Flannery). Tench brings to life the legendary figures of Bennelong, Arabanoo and Governor Phillip, and records the voices of convicts trying to make lives in their new country. ISBN: 1875847278. Our Book No: 14626. $12 AUD.
116. Thompson, Colin (1999). The Last Alchemist (1st ed). Sydney, Milsons Point: Random House. Unnum 32 pp. Hardback quarto, dustjacket, pictorial cover, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), full-page colour drawings, minor edgewear jacket. A children's picture story about a 19th century alchemist named Spinifex who must discover the secret of turning base metals into gold before the dawn of the new Millennium or he is finished. Will he succeed? This delightful book with the fascinating illustrations will appeal to older children. ISBN: 0091839637. Our Book No: 30498. $18 AUD.
117. Toyne, Phillip; Vachon, Daniel (1987). Growing Up the Country: The Pitjantjatjara Struggle for their Land (Reprint ed). Melbourne, Fitzroy: McPhee Gribble / Penguin Books. 157 pp. Paperback trade, good plus condition, map, pages lightly toned, corner rear cover creased, minor edgewear, book exchange sticker & rubber stamp. This is the Pitjantjatjara story - an Aboriginal people who believe that their survival rests in protecting their traditional relationship with their lands (located near the South Australian, Western Australian and Northern Territory border area). ISBN: 0140076417. Our Book No: 3404. $10 AUD.
118. Walker, Gabrielle; King, Sir David; Gilkes, John (illustrator) (2008). The Hot Topic: How to Tackle Global Warming and Still Keep the Lights On (Reprint ed). London: Bloomsbury. 309 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, figures, diagrams, top corner rear cover creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. This book shows how to break through denial, accept reality, and thus solve the climate crisis. The book will interest scientists, university students, climate change activists as well as the general public wanting to help reverse the current situation with action. ISBN: 9780757593959. Our Book No: 40392. $16 AUD.
119. Westgarth, William (1853). Victoria, late Australia Felix; or, Port Phillip District of New South Wales, being an Historical and Descriptive Account of the Colony and its Gold Mines [etc] (1st ed). Edinburgh: Oliver & Boyd. 390 + 96 + 8 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good plus condition, quarter-leather & marbled boards, marbled endpapers & edges, raised bands spine, fold-out colour map, tables (one fold-out, small tear base), few toned spots some pages, leather cover little rubbed at top spine & fore-edge & corners, marbled boards little rubbed, some pencil annotation, errata slip bound in, two bookplates. Title continues: "With an Appendix, containing the Reports of the Melbourne Chamber of Commerce for the Last Two Years upon the Condition and Progress of the Colony." A history of the new colony of Victoria. An expansion of his earlier book written in 1848 when the Port Phillip District was part of New South Wales. The book covers the gold mines, squatting, climate, Aborigines, politics and government. (One of the two bookplate is of Mabel Brookes.). Our Book No: 40361. $300 AUD.
120. White, Gilbert; Davidson-Houston, Ronald (compile5); Chatfield, June E. (introduction) (2004). The Illustrated Natural History of Selborne (Revised format, reprint ed). London: Thames & Hudson. 255 pp. Paperback large octavo, thick card covers (with flaps), very good condition, colour text-photos, few pinhead spots top edge, top corner rear cover slightly bumped & scuffed, minor edgewear. A delightful collection of letters by an English country clergyman about local natural history, originally published in 1789. This book has great appeal and is the fourth most published book in English. This beautifully illustrated book has 124 colour plates that have been faithfully reproduced from the hand-coloured engravings of Gilbert White's contemporaries, giving an invaluable extra dimension to this captivating book. (Chatfield is the former Curator of The Gilbert White Museum.). ISBN: 0500284784. Our Book No: 30501. $30 AUD.
121. Williams, Luke (2016). The Ice Age: A Journey into Crystal-meth Addiction. Melbourne: Scribe Publications. 365 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear. The author was a journalist and former drug addict researching addiction to crystallised meth-amphetamine (commonly known as crystal meth or ice) when he became addicted to it himself. Over the next three months, he was seduced by the drug and descended into psychosis. He tells him story, and charts his recovery from the drug, and his investigation into its usage and prevalence in Australia and the Western world. As he searched for answers, he looked at meth labs, interviewed addicts and law-enforcement officials, and witnessed firsthand the effects of the drug on individuals, and the healthcare system. ISBN: 9781925106848. Our Book No: 40398. $20 AUD.
122. Williams, Roy; Beazley, Kim (foreword) (2013). In God They Trust? The Religious Beliefs of Australia's Prime Ministers 1901 - 2013. [Australia]: Bible Society. 288 pp. Hardback octavo, jacket, very good plus condition, pictorial cover, minimal edgewear. This original book examines the spiritual life of each of Australia's Prime Ministers from Edmund Barton to Julia Gillard. Explores the ways in which their beliefs (or agnosticism) shaped the history and development of the nation. Includes extensive interviews with former Prime Ministers John Howard and Kevin Rudd. Most of Australia's leaders since Federation believed in God. Some were serious Christians and very few were indifferent towards religion. ISBN: 9780647518557. Our Book No: 30508. $35 AUD.
123. Wilson, Edwin; Farrant, Penny (editor) (2004). Poetry of Place: Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney (Revised ed). Sydney: Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust. 208 pp. Paperback small quarto, card covers (with flaps), very good condition, black & white & colour text-photos, pictorial endpapers, covers little scratched, minor edgewear. This book explores the memorials, buildings, roads, gates, holes in the ground, and special plantings that litter one of the world's most spectacularly sited botanic gardens. The author is a poet and botanist with an interest in history. Revised edition of "The Wishing Tree" published in 1992 by Kangaroo Press. Includes a section on Centennial Park, which was under the administration of the Botanic Gardens from 1888 until 1980. ISBN: 0975670808. Our Book No: 23130. $30 AUD.
124. Wilson, Ian (1982). Reincarnation? The Claims Investigated. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. 271 pp. Paperback, very good condition, black & white photos centre spread, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear, owner's written name. This enthralling book recognises that 20th-century science may not yet have all the answers for reincarnation claims, but shows that there are perfectly rational explanations for some of the best ones. It offers challenging new insights into some of the least uncharted territories of the human mind. This revised edition contains dramatic new information about the Bloxham Tapes. ISBN: 0140061231. Our Book No: 4554. $10 AUD.
125. Winer, Yvonne; Lloyd-Jones, Karen (illustrator) (2000). Butterflies Fly (1st ed). Sydney: Margaret Hamilton / Scholastic Australia. Unnum 32 pp. Hardback large quarto, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, full-page colour drawings, some faint creasing pages, minor edgewear corners, sticker mark front free flyleaf. First edition. This fascinating children's picture book features a variety of butterflies from around the world and makes a plea for their conservation. The author's charming whimsical verses create the mood for each butterfly, and the life-like illustrations bring them to life. There is a butterfly identification guide at the back with factual information about each butterfly. ISBN: 1876289015. Our Book No: 17791. $20 AUD.
126. Women's Auxiliary, Sydney Industrial Blind Institution N.S.W. (1940). Australian Kitchen Craft (1st ed). Sydney: Women's Auxiliary of the Sydney Blind Institution of New South Wales / Deaton & Spencer (Printer). 157 pp. Hardback small octavo, good condition, paper covered thick boards, black title front cover, few black & white adverts, pages lightly toned, light foxing some pages & edges, covers & spine little marked & faded & rubbed, few scuffs rear cover, edges of covers little toned, spine ends slightly worn, rear hinge slightly split (pages firm), some edgewear, owner's written name on front cover & title page, written recipe blank page at rear. This special book has been compiled by a committee of people uniquely qualified to produce it. All the recipes have been tested in this first edition of the book. A good addition to any old cookbook collection. Our Book No: 30494. $30 AUD.
127. Woolcock Withycombe, Susan Mary (1985). Town in Transition: A Socio-economic History of Queanbeyan, New South Wales, 1945 - 1985 (1st ed). Canberra: Susan Mary Withycombe / Canberra Publishing and Printing Co. 243 pp. Paperback octavo, good condition, black & white photos, few tables & graphs, spine creased, pages lightly toned, spine & covers slightly faded, slight bump top spine, bottom corner rear cover creased, minor edgewear. This book has been written to commemorate the Queanbeyan centenary of local government. Examines the changes that have taken place in Queanbeyan since the Second World War, with a reference to the wider pattern of changes in Australian society as a whole. Shows how the two cities of Queanbeyan and Canberra have grown inextricably together and yet distinct, and how the Queanbeyan people have responded to the challenges and opportunities offered by the Capital City. About ordinary Australian people who are building a community that is in many ways out of the ordinary. ISBN: 0959989544. Our Book No: 30507. $16 AUD.
128. Wright, Judith (1976). Fourth Quarter and Other Poems. Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 71 pp. Hardback small octavo, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear. This is Judith Wright's 11th volume of poetry. She is concerned increasingly with the problems of mankind and the mystery of human destiny. ISBN: 0207134030. Our Book No: 27313. $16 AUD.
129. Wright Wexman, Virginia (editor) (1999). Jane Campion Interviews (1st ed) [Conversations with Filmmakers Series]. Mississippi: University Press of Mississippi. 216 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, black & white photos, frontispiece, minimal edgewear. In this collection of interviews Jane Campion speaks of her films, of her early life in Wellington, New Zealand, and of her training as a filmmaker in the 1980s at the Australian School of Film and Television. Jane Campion is best known for her award-winning film "The Piano". ISBN: 1578060834. Our Book No: 40369. $25 AUD.
130. Zwartz, Morag (2004). Fractured Families: The Story of a Melbourne Church Cult. Melbourne, Boronia: Parenesis Publishing. 192 pp. Paperback wide trade, very good condition, front cover corner tips lightly creased, minor edgewear. Exposes a secretive cult (sect) within the Presbyterian and Anglican churches in Melbourne since the 1930s. This book does more than reveal tragically broken lives. It is a warning to all churches of the far-reaching and destructive repercussions of false Christian teachings - however subtle, however sincere the teachings may be. ISBN: 0958795517. Our Book No: 12963. $25 AUD.