INTERNET BOOKSHOP: SELLING BOOKS SINCE 1998
ORDER 2 OR MORE BOOKS: RECEIVE 20% DISCOUNT !!
PO Box 176, Annandale NSW 2038, Australia.
Phone: (02) 9550-1258 (late afternoon or message).
BOOKS FOR SALE:
TECHNOLOGY ** MACHINERY ** MACHINES ** ENGINEERING **COMPUTERS ** COMPUTING ** INTERNET ** EMAIL ** WORLD WIDE WEB (WWW) ** DIGITAL ECONOMY ** NUCLEAR POWER ** ATOMIC BOMBS ** NUCLEAR WEAPONS.
Check this on our online database, updated weekly !!
All books are in stock (except for a few recent sales). Plus postage at cost.
We offer 20% discount for orders of 2 or more books.
1. Abrasives Pty Ltd, Australian (1959). Handbook on Grinding and Grinding Wheels (1st ed). Sydney, Auburn: Australian Abrasives Pty Ltd. 100 pp. Paperback trade, card covers, stapled (little rusted), very good condition, black & white drawings & figures, minor edgewear, tiny scuff edges rear cover, edges lightly foxed, cover lightly faded, edges & pages lightly toned, white background rear cover lightly foxed & toned. This book is a handbook on the use of grinding wheels. There is a grinding wheel recommendations table at the rear of the book. Our Book No: 26662. $15 AUD.
2. Adler, Irving (1962). Thinking Machines: A Layman's Introduction to Logic, Boolean Algebra, and Computers (Reprint ed) [Signet Science Library]. New York: New American Library. 159 pp. Paperback small, very good condition, figures, pages & edges lightly toned, minor edgewear, old price marks. Electronic computers are the great "thinkers" of today. A fascinating and lucid book explaining these complex thinking machines in terms that everyone can understand. Our Book No: 21043. $10 AUD.
3. Agar, Jon (2003). Constant Touch: A Global History of the Mobile Phone (1st ed) [Revolutions in Science]. Cambridge: Icon Books. 172 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), black & white text-photos, minor edgewear jacket. This book takes the mobile phone to pieces, tracing what makes it work, and puts it together again, showing how it was built in different ways in different national contexts in the United states, Europe and the Far East. Jon Agar tells a truly global history of the mobile phone. ISBN: 1840464194. Our Book No: 20792. $10 AUD.
4. Agrawal, Abha (2006). EndNote 1-2-3 Easy!: Reference Management for the Professional (1st ed). New York: Springer Science + Business. 241 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, CD-ROM in rear pocket. ISBN: 0387249915. Our Book No: 14795. $13 AUD.
5. Anderson, Chris (2006). The Long Tail: How Endless Choice is Creating Unlimited Potential (1st UK ed). London: Random House. 238 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition. In the new economics of online commerce, the combined value of the millions of items that only sell in small quantities exceeds that of the few best-sellers. The 80/20 rule (that 20% of items produce 80% of sales revenue) no longer applies. Chris Anderson first explored the Long Tail in an article in Wired magazine that soon become the most influential business essay of our time. Now, in this book, he takes a closer look at the new economics of the internet age, and he sets down the rules for operating in a long-tail economy that applies across a wide range of merchandise categories. ISBN: 190521121X. Our Book No: 12741. $10 AUD.
6. Arbuckle, James L. (1998). AMOS User's Guide Version 3.6 (Reprint ed). Chicago: Smallwaters Corporation / SPSS Inc. 600 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good plus condition, figures. Heavy (1.0 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This statistical computer package performs structural equation modelling and path analysis. ISBN: 1568271255. Our Book No: 13545. $20 AUD.
7. Bainbridge, William Sims (1992). Social Research Methods and Statistics: A Computer Assisted Introduction (Reprint ed). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Publishing. 573 pp. Paperback large octavo, very good plus condition, computer disk at rear. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This book explains the principles, techniques, and underlying logic that guide qualitative and quantitative social research from start to finish. the focus is on methods, and basic statistical concepts are introduced - revealing the vital link between data gathering and analysis. The software contains two programs to assist qualitative research, including interviewing, sampling, coding, and data analysis of secondary government records. Includes some classic studies to reveal the realities of conducting research. ISBN: 0534131220. Our Book No: 5671. $32 AUD.
8. Baldwin, Neil (2002). Edison: Inventing the Century: A Biography. New York: Hyperion. 531 pp. Paperback thick octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, corner front cover creased, bottom edge rubbed, minor edgewear. The first biography of one of the seminal figures in American history to examine Thomas Edison as both myth and man, assessing his remarkable accomplishments (phonograph, motion picture camera, practical electric light bulb, electrification), as well as providing thorough measure of the many paradoxes of his character. ISBN: 0786881194. Our Book No: 16652. $20 AUD.
9. Barnard, J. A.; Bradley, J. N. (1985). Flame and Combustion (2nd revised ed). London: Chapman & Hall. 308 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, tables, figures, spine little creased, light foxing edges, crease top corner rear cover, minor edgewear corners, owner's written names including edges. A wide-ranging introduction to flames and combustion. The fundamentals of combustion and a discussion of the practical applications of this knowledge in technology is given. This second edition has been revised. problems for student solution, with answers, have been added. A new section has been included on the environmental aspects of combustion. ISBN: 0412230402. Our Book No: 25560. $20 AUD.
10. Barrass, Robert (1978). Scientists Must Write: A Guide to Better Writing for Scientists, Engineers and Students (1st p/b ed). London: Science Paperbacks / Chapman & Hall. 176 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition. A concise guide to scientists who wish to improve their writing, by lecturer at Sunderland Polytechnic. ISBN: 047099388X. Our Book No: 1879. $10 AUD.
11. Barton, Rod (2006). The Weapons Detective: The Inside Story of Australia's Top Weapons Inspector (1st ed) [Agenda series]. Melbourne: Black Inc. 278 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear. The author tells of a professional life replete with adventure, urgency and achievement. This book describes the fascinating chess-game of weapons inspection (eg, as United Nations inspector in Iraq), with a mixture of detective work, scientific analysis and mind-games. Written with humour and authority, it reveals an unsung Australian hero and sheds new light on a vital chapter of contemporary history. ISBN: 0975076957. Our Book No: 22564. $20 AUD.
12. Basu, Dipak (editor) (2001). Dictionary of Material Science and High Energy Physics (1st ed) [Comprehensive Dictionary of Physics]. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. 346 pp. Hardback small quarto, no jacket as issued, very good plus condition, figures, owner's rubber stamp front flyleaf. Heavy. This dictionary offers concise, authoritative definitions of more than 3,000 terms. It covers a range of matter and high energy disciplines, with natural overlap into mathematics, engineering, chemistry, and biology. The editor has provided a lucid, accessible, and convenient reference valuable to both the novice and the professional. ISBN: 0849328896. Our Book No: 25550. $25 AUD.
13. Beadell, Len; Penney, W. G. (foreword) (2006). Blast the Bush (Reprint ed). Sydney: New Holland. 212 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos & drawings (cartoons), rear cover scratched, minor edgewear, owner's written name. When the time came to explore part of Australia's outback for a nuclear weapons testing program, Len Beadell was the natural choice to select and help prepare the site (Maralinga) and roads for an historic detonation in the lonely South Australian back country. With his characteristic humour and embellished with his own cartoons, he tells the story of the people who worked on the project, and he recounts the sequence of events that led up to the gigantic explosion that blasted the bush. ISBN: 1864367369. Our Book No: 4146. $15 AUD.
14. Behforooz, Ali; Sharma, Onkar P. (1986). Fortran 77 Syntax. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall. 136 pp. Paperback small quarto, good plus condition, front cover corner creased, minor edgewear, owner's written name. The purpose of this book is to present the syntax of the pioneer computer language FORTRAN. It assumes that readers have acquired problem-solving skills and have learned about problem-solving structures and algorithm development. The book has been designed with the philosophy that problem solving is best learned independent of and before learning a program language. ISBN: 0835932737. Our Book No: 21242. $10 AUD.
15. Behrens, Theodor Heinrich; Stevens, Richard E. (translator) (1988). Microscopical Identification of Organic Compounds (Reprint ed). Chicago: Microscope Publications. 234 pp. Paperback quarto, thin card covers, very good condition, tables, few figures, minor edgewear corners, few tiny creases & edge tears front cover, owner's rubber stamps including edges. From the German original "Organische Mikrochemische Analyse" by Behrens-Kley, published by Leopold Voss, Leipzig 1922. This translation represents the first systematic classification in English of organic materials, based on the microscopical properties of crystalline compounds and their derivatives. Our Book No: 25600. $55 AUD.
16. Bentley, Judy; Bentley, James; Bates, Geoff (2003). The Lithgow Zig Zag: A Masterpiece of Railway Engineering (Reprint ed) [Lithgow Zigzag]. Corinda, QLD / Lithgow, NSW: Pictorial Press / Zig Zag Railway Co-Op. 28 pp. Paperback quarto, card cover, very good plus condition, colour & black & white text-photos. A picture booklet about this unusual zigzag railway (1869 to 1910), built to bring trains down a steep slope from the Blue Mountains to the Lithgow Valley. A masterpiece of engineering. Re-opened as a tourist railway in 1975. ISBN: 1876561262. Our Book No: 9616. $10 AUD.
17. Bilton, Nick (2013). Hatching Twitter: How a Fledgling Start-Up Became a Multimillion-Dollar Business & Accidentally Changed the World (Australian printed ed). London: Sceptre. 302 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition. In barely six years, a small group of young, ambitious programmers in Silicon Valley built an $11.5 billion business out of the ashes of a failed podcasting company. Today Twitter boasts more 200 million active users [old data]. Now Nick Bilton of the New York Times takes readers behind the scenes as Twitter grew at exponential speeds. This is a tale of betrayed friendships and high-stakes power struggles as the four founders - Biz Stone, Evan Williams, Jack Dorsey, and Noah Glass - went from everyday engineers to wealthy celebrities, featured on Time's list of the world's most influential people. Bilton's exclusive access and exhaustive investigative reporting - drawing on hundreds of sources, documents, and internal e-mails - have enabled him to write an intimate portrait of fame, influence, and power. ISBN: 9781444767049. Our Book No: 16685. $15 AUD.
18. Black, Rex C. (1979). Learning Morse Code: A Course for Novice Licence Candidates (3rd ed). Sydney: Wireless Institute of Australia (N.S.W. Division). 48 pp. Paperback small quarto, stapled pamphlet, card cover, cassette tapes MISSING, very good condition, black & white figures, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear, rear cover lightly marked, staples rusted. This is the third edition of this booklet, and the two cassette tapes mentioned are missing. This booklet offers the course in a number of progressive steps, and would interest anyone wanting to learn about Morse code, or has a collection of radio-related books. ISBN: 095961611X. Our Book No: 25837. $15 AUD.
19. Blanksby, Peter E.; Barber, James G. (2005). SPSS for Social Workers: An Introductory Workbook with CDROM. Boston: Allyn & Bacon / Pearson Education. 286 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good plus condition, cdrom in rear pocket. Teaches SPSS and statistical skills using research problems drawn from typical areas of social work practice or policy, including: children of divorcing couples, children drifting in foster care, poverty and income, parenting practices and adolescent adjustment, history of sexual abuse, and youth suicide. ISBN: 020539566X. Our Book No: 13543. $20 AUD.
20. Bodanis, David (2005). Electric Universe: How Electricity Switched on the Modern World. London: Little Brown. 237 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, edges & pages faintly toned, minor edgewear corners. Explains the many uses of electricity in the modern world. He weaves stories of divine inspiration, romance, and fraud through lucid accounts of scientific breakthrough. The journey of discovery goes to the Atlantic, Hamburg, and the insides of the human body. ISBN: 0316729728. Our Book No: 28196. $15 AUD.
21. Botsman, Rachel; Rogers, Roo (2010). What's Mine is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption. New York: Harper Business. 279 pp. Paperback octavo, as new condition. Discusses a new, emerging economy made possible by online social networks and fueled by increasing cost consciousness and environmental necessity. Collaborative Consumption occurs when people participate in organized sharing, bartering, trading, renting, swapping, and collectives to get the same pleasures of ownership with reduced personal cost and burden, and lower environmental impact. The book addresses three growing models: Product Service Systems (eg, Ziploc, Zipcar), Communal Economies (eg, Etsy), and Redistribution Markets (eg, eBay). Social networks facilitate consumer-to-consumer marketplaces that redistribute goods from where they are not needed to somewhere or someone where they are. This trend is in conjunction with the emergence of shared collective information sites such as Wikipedia and Flickr. ISBN: 9780062046451. Our Book No: 16381. $22 AUD.
22. Brier, Eric (2002). To Talk of Many Things: Some Experiences During My Life as an Engineer. Brisbane: CopyRight Publishing Company. 264 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos, small mark inside front cover, minor edgewear, autograph (written dedication title page, first name only). The author has written a very important book about his experiences as an Australian engineer which will be of interest to historians and young people entering the profession. His stories about projects in the Australian hinterland explain the difficulty his generation faced and shows the enormous contribution modern technology has made to assist the work of engineers. ISBN: 1876344067. Our Book No: 27905. $35 AUD.
23. Broderick, Damien (1999). The Last Mortal Generation: How Science will Alter Our lives in the 21st Century (Reprint ed). Sydney: New Holland. 256 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, rear cover corner faintly creased, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. An explanation of the latest scientific research into genetic engineering, neuroscience, quantum theory and cosmology. Science is on the verge of providing what - up till now - only religion has claimed to offer - a genuine prospect of immortality, and the ability to understand the deepest mysteries of life. ISBN: 1864364408. Our Book No: 23083. $10 AUD.
24. Broinowski, Richard (2012). Fallout from Fukushima (1st ed). Melbourne, Brunswick: Scribe Publications. 273 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. The story of Japan's worst nuclear disaster, and the attempts to suppress, downplay, and obscure its consequences. The author, a former diplomat travelled into the irradiated zone to speak to those affected, and to find out why authorities delayed warning the public about the severity of the radiation. Combining interviews, research and analysis, he reveals the extent of the disaster's consequences. ISBN: 9781922070166. Our Book No: 27402. $18 AUD.
25. Brosnan, Mark (1998). Technophobia: The Psychological Impact of Information Technology. London: Routledge. 220 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear & rubbing, remainder mark base fore-edge. Technology is taking over all aspects of life. Yet studies have shown that up to 50% of the population is technophobic to some extent, that is, they have negative opinions or are anxious about information technology such as personal computers. This text examines the origins of technophobia - what it is, who has it and what causes it. The impact of gender is examined and the social and cognitive psychological factors underlying technophobia are reviewed and combined into an overall psychological model. Techniques for reducing technophobia are discussed. ISBN: 0415135974. Our Book No: 16251. $12 AUD.
26. Byrnes, Paul; Strong, James (foreword) (2000). Qantas by George: The Remarkable Story of George Roberts. Sydney: Watermark Press. 196 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, minor edgewear. Biography of the colourful engineer who joined Qantas in 1936, and therefore grew up with early Australian aviation. ISBN: 0949284521. Our Book No: 8621. $15 AUD.
27. Cadbury, Deborah (2004). Space Race: The Untold Story of Two Rivals & Their Struggle for the Moon. London: Fourth Estate. 372 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, black & white photos. This book combines adventure and suspense with a moving portrayal of the human dimension to this epic struggle between the United States and the Soviet Union to land the first man on the moon. Using source material never before seen, the author tells the story of the Cold War, espionage and ambition, of ingenuity, passion, and the final mindbending voyage beyond the bounds of the earth. ISBN: 0007212992. Our Book No: 21510. $15 AUD.
28. Calce, Michael; Silverman, Craig (with) (2008). Mafiaboy: How I Cracked the Internet and Why It's Still Broken (1st ed). Toronto: Viking Canada / Penguin Books. 277 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), promotional strip wraparound taped to jacket. First edition. The amazing untold story of how a 15-year-old Canadian boy shut down the world's biggest websites. In 2000, an unknown attacker brought down the websites of Amazon, CNN, Dell, E-Trade, eBay, and Yahoo, inciting panic from Silicon Valley to the FBI and the White House. ISBN: 9780670067480. Our Book No: 15642. $20 AUD.
29. Cawsey, Alison (1998). The Essence of Artificial Intelligence [Essence of Computing Series]. Herts: Prentice Hall Europe. 190 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition. This university textbook provides a concise, practical introduction to artificial intelligence (AI). Starts with the fundamentals of knowledge representation, inference, expert systems, natural language processing, machine learning, neural networks, agents, robots and much more. Examples and algorithms are presented throughout, and includes a complete glossary. ISBN: 0135717795. Our Book No: 13890. $13 AUD.
30. Childe, H. L. (1949). An Introduction to Concrete Work (3rd, reprint ed). London: Concrete Publications Limited. 136 pp. Hardback small, board covers, good condition, edgewear, figures (including black & white text-photos), tables, faint tide marks strip top front cover (previous water contact now dry), faint ring mark rear cover, pages little toned. The third edition of this popular textbook written for students at technical schools, but which has also proved useful for builders. Provides an introduction to the principles and practice of reinforced concrete construction, a branch of civil engineering. Our Book No: 14076. $10 AUD.
31. Clark, Robert; Thomson, Mark (2014). Transport Fuels from Australia's Gas Resources (1st ed). Sydney: NewSouth / University of New South Wales Press. 308 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, tables, figures, minor edgewear corners. A comprehensive study by Australia's leading experts into converting our gas resources into fuel for transport, which will reduce Australia's dependence on imported oil. The book demonstrates how the use of natural gas as a transport fuel could increase Australia's fuel self-sufficiency to 50-70 per cent by 2030. ISBN: 9781742232386. Our Book No: 28151. $50 AUD.
32. Clarke, Arthur C. (1958). The Exploration of Space (Revised ed) [No A434]. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. 192 pp. Paperback, good plus condition, black & white photos, figures, pages toned, spine ends little worn, minor edgewear, faint rubber stamp. This book is a fascinating readable introduction to astronomy and the new science of 'astronautics' (space travel). Our Book No: 24180. $10 AUD.
33. Clary, David A (2003). Rocket Man: Robert H. Goddard and the Birth of the Space Age. New York: Hyperion. 324 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos (including frontispiece), top corner rear cover little creased, small mark fore-edge, minor edgewear. The life and work of the troubled, solitary genius Robert H. Goddard, who was the American father of rocketry and space flight, launching the world's first liquid-fuel rockets and the first powered vehicles to break the sound barrier. He was supported by Charles Lindbergh and Harry Guggenheim, when he devised the methods that carried men to the moon. His inventions are used today to fly rockets and jet planes. ISBN: 0786887052. Our Book No: 28734. $20 AUD.
34. Coakes, Sheridan J.; Steed, Lyndall; Ong, Clara (2009). SPSS Analysis Without Anguish: Version 16.0 for Windows (Reprint ed). Brisbane, Milton: John Wiley. 285 pp. Paperback large quarto, spiral bound, very good plus condition, drawings (computer output), old price marks. Heavy. A practical guide to univariate and multivariate statistical analysis using the SPSS computer program, including many worked examples with window displays and output printouts. ISBN: 9780470817797. Our Book No: 15707. $30 AUD.
35. Cockett, S. R. (1966). An Introduction to Man-Made Fibres (1st ed) [Pitman's Common Commodities and Industries]. London: Pitman & Sons. 135 pp. Hardback dustjacket, minimal cancelled EX-LIBRARY, very good condition (in good dustjacket), figures, crease top edge jacket (edgewear, minor loss top spine, small closed tears, flap clipped), owner's initials top edge, rubber stamp owner's name front free flyleaf, faint foxing edges. A comprehensive and intelligent summary of this growing industry. The historical background, the underlying chemical theory, and the uses of the various fibres, as well as outlining their production are all described. Our Book No: 25798. $15 AUD.
36. Cohen, Adam (2003). The Perfect Store: Inside eBay. London: Piatkus. 332 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. Ebay is the single most visited commercial site on the internet - and one of the most successful. The story of its humble beginnings, launched from a spare bedroom in Pierre Omidyar's house, to its current status today - with 1,664,000 visitors a day, 20 million registered users and 75,000 people relying on eBay for their income. ISBN: 0749924039. Our Book No: 16225. $10 AUD.
37. Collis, Brad (1990). Snowy: The Making of Modern Australia (1st p/b ed). Sydney: Hodder & Stoughton. 304 pp. Paperback large octavo (with flaps), very good condition, black & white text-photos, small mark front flyleaf, minor edgewear. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. First paperback edition. The Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric Scheme is one of the world's greatest engineering achievements. Its development involved blasting 12 tunnels through the mountains, the building of 16 dams to hold the water, and feed it through seven power stations, two being deep in the mountains. This book interweaves the technical achievement and political background with the story of the hardships suffered and the contribution of the thousands (mainly European migrants - "New Australians") who helped to build it - the people, the dramas, the tragedy, the triumphs and the humour. ISBN: 0340533854. Our Book No: 15370. $30 AUD.
38. Cottler, Joseph (1946). Man With Wings: The Story of Leonardo da Vinci (Reprint ed). London: George G. Harrap. 174 pp. Hardback dustjacket, good condition (in good dustjacket), black & white drawings, faint foxing edges, tiny ink mark front flyleaf, boards lightly marked, corners bumped, small ink stain bottom edge jacket (edge tears, flap clipped, few tiny pieces missing edges), sticker front pastedown, minor edgewear, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. The author devotes most of his book to the inventor rather than the painter. Leonardo da Vinci was more interested in inventing than painting. This book will interest younger readers as well as adults because it gives a simple and direct picture of a man whose laboratory was the world around him. Our Book No: 24465. $18 AUD.
39. Cresciani, Gianfranco (2006). Transfield: The First Fifty Years (1st ed). Sydney: ABC Books. 336 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), additional banner wrapper, black & white text-photos, colour photos, minor edgewear, non-author written dedication on title page. Celebrates 50 years of this iconic and dynamic Australian business. Its founder, Franco Belgiorno-Nettis, and his partner, Carlo Salteri, were Italian immigrants, two engineers who came to Australia to do one thing - to set up EPT, an electric power transmission company - but ultimately did something much more. They went on to create a company unique in Australia's corporate history. The company they established, Transfield, was to become a model of post-World War 2 enterprise and initiative. Franco also became a patron of Australian arts and literature. ISBN: 0733317286. Our Book No: 21532. $25 AUD.
40. Cribb, Julian; Sari, Tjempaka (2010). Open Science: Sharing Knowledge in the Global Century (1st ed). Melbourne, Collingwood: CSIRO Publishing. 221 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, last page little creased, minor edgewear, top spine & most pages little bumped. Offers practical ways to communicate science in a highly networked world where billions of people still have little or no access to advanced knowledge or technologies. The authors describe low-cost, effective means to transfer knowledge to target audiences in industry, government, the community and to the public at large. ISBN: 9780643097636. Our Book No: 27227. $15 AUD.
41. Crystal, David (2001). Language and the Internet (1st ed). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 272 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear, old price marks. Investigates the nature of the impact that the internet is making on language. This book will interest anyone who has used the internet, and to all who are interested in one of the most vital cultural issues associated with global technology. ISBN: 0521802121. Our Book No: 23161. $15 AUD.
42. Daisey, Mike (2002). 21 Dog Years: Doing Time at Amazon Com (1st ed). London: Fourth Estate. 222 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. This book tells the bizarre but real story of life in the dotcom world - as a staffer of Amazon, the pioneering internet success story. ISBN: 1841157651. Our Book No: 21467. $10 AUD.
43. Davison, Graeme; Yelland, Sheryl (with) (2004). Car Wars: How the Car Won Our Hearts and Conquered Our Cities (1st ed). Sydney, Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin. 308 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, frontispiece, minor edgewear, faint remainder mark top edge. The story of how the motor car changed Australia's cities. A history of people, politics, landscapes, conflict, engineering, social movements and the environment. ISBN: 1741142075. Our Book No: 28414. $18 AUD.
44. Deitz, Milissa (2010). Watch This Space: The Future of Australian Journalism. Melbourne: Cambridge University Press (CUP) / Monash University National Centre for Australian Studies. 145 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition. With traditional print media sinking under shrinking readerships, redundancies and declining advertising revenue, the imminent death of 'quality' journalism is being prophesied. Lecturer at University of Western Sydney argues that the internet is in fact reinvigorating news and journalism, being more democratic through participation, more readily responsive to rapidly changing events. A mediascape composed of dedicated online journals, blogs, social networking and mobile phones is returning journalism to its radical and democratic roots. ISBN: 9780521144285. Our Book No: 16133. $20 AUD.
45. Deutschman, Alan (2000). The Second Coming of Steve Jobs (1st p/b ed). New York: Broadway Books. 335 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. How Steve Jobs returned to leadership of the Apple company and precipitated one of the biggest turnarounds in American business history. Written by acclaimed journalist to "Vanity Fair" and "GQ". ISBN: 0767904338. Our Book No: 15456. $10 AUD.
46. Dickson, Paul (2001). Sputnik: The Shock of the Century (1st ed). New York: Walker & Co. 310 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white text-photos, minor edgewear jacket. Reports the dramatic events and developments leading up to and following the Soviet launch of the satellite Sputnik in 1957. This book is a strikingly revised picture of the politics and personalities behind the facade of America's fledgling efforts to get into space exploration (the start of the space race, part of the Cold War). ISBN: 0802713653. Our Book No: 28830. $20 AUD.
47. Dickson, Paul (2011). Sputnik: The Shock of the Century (1st p/b ed). New York: Walker & Co. 310 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, minor edgewear, remainder mark (spot). The author writes about the dramatic events and developments leading up to and following the Soviet launch of the satellite Sputnik in 1957. This book is a strikingly revised picture of the politics and personalities behind the facade of America's fledgling efforts to get into space exploration (the start of the space race, part of the Cold War). ISBN: 9780802779519. Our Book No: 26787. $15 AUD.
48. Donaldson, Mike (Michael) (1996). Taking Our Time: Remaking the Temporal Order. Perth: University of Western Australia Press. 206 pp. Paperback trade, as new condition. Sociologist, University of Wollongong, examines how in modern society people are being robbed of their time, eg, by technological change, and longer hours of paid work, including evenings and weekends. Challenges us to remake the temporal order. Australian examples. ISBN: 1875560645. Our Book No: 13816. $15 AUD.
49. Doughney, James (2002). The Poker Machine State: Dilemmas in Ethics, Economics and Governance. Melbourne, Altona: Common Ground. 190 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, figures, tables. Interrogates the ethical and political context in which decisions about poker machines are made. Refutes claims by the gambling industry and its consultants that poker machines measurably and substantially improve the quality of life of those that play them. Argues for a reflection on the type of economics that should more generally guide the formation of public policy. ISBN: 1863355030. Our Book No: 22291. $10 AUD.
50. Drewe, Robert (1998). The Drowner (Reprint ed). Sydney: Picador Pan Macmillan. 329 pp. Paperback, very good condition, tiny mark top edge, pages lightly toned as usual. A novel about the romance of water. Will Dance, a young water engineer, finds himself in the heart of the Western Australian desert on a project to bring fresh water to the area. ISBN: 0330360124. Our Book No: 22926. $10 AUD.
51. Drewe, Robert (2012). Montebello: A Memoir (1st ed). Melbourne: Hamish Hamilton / Penguin Books. 291 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, reader crease in spine, edges & pages lightly toned, small slightly faded area rear cover (sticker removal). This book is a moving sequel to "The Shark Net". The author writes with his characteristic frankness, humour and cinematic imagery. He travels to the Montebellos (site of atomic tests) to visit the territory that has held his imagination since childhood. ISBN: 9780670893473. Our Book No: 27369. $18 AUD.
52. Dunn, G.; Everitt, B.; Pickles, A. (1993). Modelling Covariances and Latent Variables using EQS. London: Chapman & Hall. 201 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, owner's written name. A self-instructional textbook about the principles of statistical modelling of covariance structures by using the EQS software package (structural equations program). ISBN: 0412489902. Our Book No: 12188. $15 AUD.
53. Edhlund, Bengt M. (2005). Manuscript Writing using EndNote and Word. Sweden: Form & Kunskap. 116 pp. Paperback large quarto, as new condition, figures (screenshots). (Copyright, 2005. Later printed POD copy.) The author is a Swedish specialist consultant on Endnote and other similar informatics products. This user's guide makes your scientific writing easier. The reference handling software EndNote offers benefits to writers in virtually any science or discipline, enabling you to transfer literature references instantly whilst writing in Word. This book will help you get your bibliography perfected in Word. It tells you how to manage your libraries, insert citations, footnotes, graphs, images, notes and how to create bibliographies. (Note: Based on an earlier version of Endnote, but similar principles still apply.). ISBN: 1411625064. Our Book No: 15423. $10 AUD.
54. Emmott (1937). Electrical Year Book 1937: A Collection of Electrical Engineering Notes, Rules, Tables and Data [Electrical Yearbook 1937]. Manchester & London: Emmott & Company. 380 pp. Hardback very small, green cloth cover (black lettering), good plus condition, tables, black & white drawings, adverts, spine ends lightly worn, scuff mark prelim page, owner's written name & details. The 30th year of publication of this little handbook for electrical engineers and contractors. Includes daily diary at rear. (Sticker of N.S.W. Bookstall Co.). Our Book No: 2478. $13 AUD.
55. Emmott (1946). Mechanical World Year Book 1946 [Mechanical World Yearbook 1946]. Manchester & London: Emmott & Company. 268 pp. Hardback very small, original orange cloth cover, good plus condition, tables, black & white drawings, card adverts (two pages with tabs, worn), spine & top edge front cover lightly faded, edges lightly foxed, minor edgewear, owner's written name. The 59th year of publication of this handbook for engineers containing helpful advice, tables, and lists of (and adverts from) suppliers of parts. Our Book No: 1526. $15 AUD.
56. Farben (1926). Pocket Manual for the Dyeing of Cotton and Other Vegetable Fibres (5th ed). Hoechst am Main: I. G. Farbenindustrie. 400 pp. Paperback small, thick khaki green cover (lightly soiled), good plus condition, black endpapers, red-tinted edges, pages lightly toned, lightly foxed. Fifth edition. Procedures and formulas for industrial dyeing, promoted by the German dye manufacturer Farben. Our Book No: 13824. $25 AUD.
57. Fischer, Tim (2014). Maestro John Monash, Melbourne, Jerilderie, Gallipoli, Amiens and Beyond: Australia's Greatest Citizen General. Melbourne, Clayton: Monash University Publishing. 268 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white & colour photos, few light scratches covers, light creases in front cover, minor edgewear corners. General Sir John Monash was an engineer and reserve soldier who served at Gallipoli and rose to command all the Australian forces on the Western Front in France. This biography is a record of historical importance, and details the contribution made to Australia and the world by General Monash. The author has used new material in this very special look at one of Australia's greatest citizens. ISBN: 9781922235596. Our Book No: 29145. $25 AUD.
58. Francis, Glenda (2004). Introduction to SPSS for Windows: Versions 12.0 & 11.0 with Notes for Studentware (4th ed). Sydney: Prentice Hall / Pearson Education. 271 pp. Paperback large quarto, spiral binding, card cover very good plus condition, drawings. Fourth edition. An illustrated instruction manual for computing statistics using the popular SPSS program. Glenda Francis is senior lecturer in social statistics, Swinburne University of Technology. ISBN: 1741032334. Our Book No: 15313. $25 AUD.
59. Gerster, Robin (2008). Travels in Atomic Sunshine: Australia and the Occupation of Japan (1st ed). Melbourne: Scribe Publications. 327 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos, map, minor edgewear jacket (top corner front cover), pages faintly toned, spine ends & cover corners little rubbed. A study of the neocolonialism of foreign occupation. Reports on the Australians of the British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF) moving into western Japan in February 1946, to "demilitarise and democratise" the atom-bombed backwater of Hiroshima Prefecture. Up to 20,000 Australian servicemen, including wives and children, took part in an historic experiment in nation-rebuilding dominated by the United States and the occupation's supreme commander, General MacArthur. Winner NSW Premier's History Awards 2009. ISBN: 9781921215346. Our Book No: 28859. $25 AUD.
60. Gibson, William (2012). Distrust That Particular Flavor. London: Viking / Penguin Books. 259 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, single black & white photo, minor edgewear. A collection of non-fiction essays by the noted science fiction writer, based on the new technology that has opened doors into the future. The essays reveal autobiographical pieces and show the development of the author's sharp perceptions of modern life. ISBN: 9780670921546. Our Book No: 28031. $15 AUD.
61. Gillespie, Richard (2011). The Great Melbourne Telescope (1st ed). Melbourne: Museum Victoria. 188 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good plus condition, black & white & sepia (brown-tinted) photos, minor edgewear. This book is about the Great Melbourne Telescope designed by leading British astronomers and erected at Melbourne Observatory in 1869 - it was the second largest telescope in the world. The telescope had a second and third life, transferred to Mount Stromlo Observatory near Canberra in 1945 - it was rebuilt for new astronomical projects. In the 1990s it detected compelling evidence of dark matter. Now returned to Melbourne, it is being restored for a new life. ISBN: 1921833052978. Our Book No: 26576. $36 AUD.
62. Goodger, E. M. (1975). Hydrocarbon Fuels: Production, Properties and Performance of Liquids and Gases (1st ed). London: Macmillan Press. 270 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), tables, figures, light toning flyleaves, edges creased jacket (edge tears, edgewear, slight loss top spine), minor annotation, owner's written names including edges. This book looks at the world energy scene, and of the place of hydrocarbon fuels within it, and includes the problems and techniques associated with the winning of crude oil. ISBN: 0333185226. Our Book No: 25564. $20 AUD.
63. Governmental Industrial Hygienists, American Conference of (1989). Advances in Air Sampling (Reprint ed) [Industrial Hygiene Science]. Chelsea, MI: Lewis Publishers, Inc. 409 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, figures, tables, few tiny dents fore-edge, owner's rubber stamps including edges. Papers from the ACGIH Symposium, held in 1987 at Pacific Grove, California, and organized by the ACGIH Air Sampling Procedures Committee. The symposium was organized to discuss the establishment of Threshold Limit Values (TLVs) for particulate substances based on size-selective sampling, to review new developments in techniques for the sampling of workplace and community atmospheres, and to stimulate the exchange of ideas and information on the sampling of gases and vapors. ISBN: 0873711157. Our Book No: 25546. $30 AUD.
64. Gunst, J. (editor) (1948). Workshop Practice Notes (Fitting - Machining - Patternmaking - Blacksmithing - Boilermaking - Welding). Sydney: Sydney University Engineering Undergraduates Association. 203 pp. Paperback trade, good condition, black & white drawings, adverts, tide marks bottom corner covers & several end pages (previous water contact now dry), top spine chipped, pages lightly toned, edgewear, owner's pencil written name. Our Book No: 16267. $25 AUD.
65. Hansen, David L. (1999). Indoor Air Quality Issues (1st ed). New York: Taylor & Francis. 100 pp. Hardback thin, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, few figures, owner's rubber stamp front free flyleaf. This book uses a multi-disciplined approach in examining the causes and effects of the interactions between humans and the non-industrial environment. This book will be of interest to specialists in different fields as well as the general practitioner, building manager or office worker. ISBN: 1560328665. Our Book No: 25557. $35 AUD.
66. Hawkins, C. C; Smith, S. P.; Neville, S. (1919). Papers on the Design of Alternating Current Machinery (1st ed). London: Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons. 392 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, navy boards (embossed, gilt lettering cover & spine), good plus condition, figures (some fold-out), edges & pages lightly toned, edges & endpapers lightly foxed, minor edgewear, owner's written name. Heavy. This book (of historical interest) originated out of many discussions on technical subjects. The papers collected here find a connecting link in their common purpose, which is to deal scientifically and practically with problems arising in the design of alternating current machinery, and the point of view adopted throughout is that of the practical designer. Our Book No: 25888. $30 AUD.
67. Heath, Chas. E (1930). The Beginner's Guide to the Microscope: With a Section on Mounting Slides (3rd, revised ed). London: Percival Marshall & Co., Ltd. 116 pp. Hardback small, papered boards, condition, black & white drawings (including frontispiece), stains bottom edge few rear pages, edges lightly toned & foxed, pages lightly toned, spine creased & lightly worn (texta mark, little loss base spine), light scuff & sticker marks front cover, owner's rubber stamp. Third revised edition. (Estimated date, 1930s, Trove catalogue.) This little book is packed with information to help the ordinary person by giving instructions to use the microscope to discover the hidden wonders that are all around us. Our Book No: 26709. $15 AUD.
68. Henderson, J.; Marshall, C. W. (1923). A.C. Protective Systems and Gear [Pitman's Technical Primers]. London: Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons. 108 + 12 pp. Hardback very small, orange cloth cover (little mottled), good plus condition, figures, tables, publisher catalogue at rear, edgewear, owner's written name & date. Practical little guide to the methods and equipment used to protect high-tension AC systems, with notes on various faults such as short circuits. Our Book No: 13115. $12 AUD.
69. Hess-Kosa, Kathleen (2002). Indoor Air Quality Sampling Methodologies (1st ed). Boca Raton, FL: Lewis Publishers, Inc. 300 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, pictorial cover, very good plus condition, figures, charts, photos, tables, owner's rubber stamp. A brief overview of air handling systems, step-by-step instructions for all sampling tasks, and a means of interpreting your results, complemented by helpful hints based on the author's observations and experience. There are more than 150 charts, tables, photos, and drawings and includes an extensive glossary and symptoms index. ISBN: 1566705398. Our Book No: 25599. $90 AUD.
70. Hills, Adelma (2010). Foolproof Guide to Statistics Using PASW: SPSS Version 15 for Windows (New ed). Sydney, Frenchs Forest: Pearson Originals / Pearson Education. 345 pp. Paperback large quarto, spiral binding, as new condition, figures, tables. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. An excellent foundation for understanding statistics and the use of SPSS. Each chapter contains a worked example in a tutorial format, which clearly goes through of the required SPSS procedures, and the output for each step is interpreted. Covers an extensive array of statistics, including the ANOVA, correlation and nominal data families (beyond what is found in most similar guides: includes MANOVA, discriminant function analysis, exploratory factor analysis, reliability analysis and loglinear analysis).The examples are primarily for psychology students, but has application for other disciplines. The author is a professor of psychology, University of Western Sydney. ISBN: 9781442531604. Our Book No: 16782. $40 AUD.
71. Hoffman, Paul (2004). Wings of Madness: Albert Santos-Dumont and the Invention of Flight (Reprint ed). London: HarperCollins. 369 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos & drawings, pages faintly toned, light crease spine, minor edgewear corners, remainder mark. The story of the Brazilian 'father of aviation'. An engineer and dandy, Santos-Dumont was the darling of the international press in the first decade of the 20th century. The author tells the tale of Santos-Dumont and modern flight with wit and sympathy. ISBN: 1841153699. Our Book No: 27289. $10 AUD.
72. Holland, Owen (editor) (2003). Machine Consciousness [Journal of Consciousness Studies Special Issue]. Thorverton, UK: Imprint Academic. 202 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition. Can a machine really have feelings? Well, even a humble thermostat knows when it gets too hot -- and can do something about it. But can a machine think? Does it have a personality How would you know? In this collection of essays we hear from an international array of computer and brain scientists who are actively working from both the machine and human ends of things to bridge the gap between the mind and the machine. ISBN: 090784524X. Our Book No: 15922. $20 AUD.
73. Huizenga, John R. (1993). Cold Fusion: The Scientific Fiasco of the Century (1st p/b ed). Oxford: Oxford University Press. 318 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, few tiny scratches covers, bottom edge rubbed, minor edgewear. This book documents the development of the cold fusion saga up to July 1993, and provides a careful and thorough study of the scientific and other issues relating to the controversy. A classic study of pseudoscience. ISBN: 0198558171. Our Book No: 21579. $15 AUD.
74. Ikoku, Chi U. (1984). Natural Gas Reservoir Engineering (1st ed). New York: John Wiley & Sons. 503 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), figures, tables, jacket lightly marked (edges & corners rubbed & chipped, closed tears), edges lightly foxed, pastedowns lightly toned. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This is the first complete collection of the concepts and applications of reservoir engineering principles essential to optimum development of natural gas reservoirs. A systems approach is emphasized throughout this book; a change in a single component of the field production system will affect the performance of the other components. There are examples of reservoir performance techniques and field development patterns. This book is organized so that it can be used as either a text or a reference for students, practicing engineers, geologists, and managers in the crude oil and natural gas production industry. ISBN: 0471894826. Our Book No: 25968. $50 AUD.
75. Institute, Safety (1978). Rural Safety Manual: Published Papers Presented at the 1978 Royal Easter Show. [Sydney]: Safety Institute of Australia. 164 pp. Hardback octavo, very good plus condition, compliments slip affixed. Includes papers on child and home safety, machinery accidents, insecticide poisoning, bushfires, animal-derived diseases, and explosions in the grain industry. Our Book No: 12147. $15 AUD.
76. Jay, Mike; Sacks, Oliver (foreword) (2012). The Influencing Machine: James Tilly Matthews and the Air Loom (Revised ed). London: Strange Attractor Press. 283 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, few black & white illustrations, tiny bump base spine, minor edgewear. This book looks at the case of James Tilly Matthews, a brilliant architect who, in 1797 was confined to Bedlam as an incurable lunatic. He was the first person to insist that his mind was being controlled by a machine: the Air Loom, a frightening secret weapon whose rays and mysterious gases were brainwashing politicians and putting Europe into revolution, terror and war. ISBN: 9781907222139. Our Book No: 28560. $20 AUD.
77. Jensen, Peter R. (1994). In Marconi's Footsteps 1894 to 1920: Early Radio. Sydney, Kenthurst: Kangaroo Press. 176 pp. Hardback large quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white & colour text-photos & drawings, frontispiece, reverse side jacket lightly foxed, minor edgewear, old price marks, small texta autograph front free flyleaf. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. The system of radio communication developed by Guglielmo Marconi pulled together the scientific threads of a new technology and rivalled the inventions of Morse, Wheatstone and Bell. The story of how simple means were bent to extraordinary ends. Explains the technology that Marconi put to use. Based on written records of the time and the replication of some of the more significant devices. The material in this book has been collected through research both in the United Kingdom and elsewhere overseas. Many of the photos and illustrations have never been published before. The appendixes include extracts from a variety of rare and highly significant early documents concerning the development of radio. ISBN: 0864176074. Our Book No: 26440. $50 AUD.
78. Jobs, Steve; Beahm, George (editor) (2011). I, Steve: Steve Jobs in His Own Words (1st ed). Melbourne: Hardie Grant. 168 pp. Paperback small trade, very good condition, edges & pages lightly toned, minor edgewear. Inspiring story about Steve Jobs who co-founded and was longtime CEO of Apple, Inc. The editor has used more than three decades of media coverage-print, electronic and online to collect the best, most thought-provoking insights spoken by Steve Jobs. ISBN: 9781742703589. Our Book No: 27903. $15 AUD.
79. Kamkwamba, William; Mealer, Bryan (2009). The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope (1st UK ed). London: HarperCollins. 273 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white drawings & text-photos, corners front cover minimally creased, spine little faded, minor edgewear. The author was born in Malawi, an African country where magic ruled, modern science was a mystery, finding food is an ongoing battle, and opportunity and hope were difficult to come by. With only a few old text books and his determination, he constructed a crude windmill. This windmill would prove to be a small miracle that would eventually bring electricity and water to William's little village, changing the community and the lives of the people in the village. This is an inspiring story about one person who was faced with adversity and how he made a difference by using his passion for science and technology. ISBN: 9780007316182. Our Book No: 28694. $20 AUD.
80. Kaplan, Fred (2016). Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War (1st p/b export ed). New York: Simon & Schuster Paperbacks. 339 pp. Paperback octavo, as new condition. iAs cyber-attacks dominate front-page news, ands as hackers displace terrorists on the list of global threats, few books are more timely and enlightening. Written by a Slate columnist and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist. Probes the inner corridors of the National Security Agency (NSA), the super-secret cyber units in the Pentagon, the information warfare squads of the military services, and national security debates, to reveal the story of the officers, policymakers, scientists, and spies who devised this new warfare. and who have been fighting these wars for decades. From the 1991 Gulf War to conflicts in Haiti, Serbia, Syria, the former Soviet republics, Iraq, and Iran, this book chronicles a little-known past that shines an unsettling light on the future. ISBN: 9781501140839. Our Book No: 16698. $20 AUD.
81. Kennedy, Brian; Kennedy, Barbara (1993). Sydney Tunnels (1st ed). Sydney, Kenthurst: Kangaroo Press. 96 pp. Paperback small quarto, good plus condition, maps, black & white text-photos, light foxing edges & endpapers, minor edgewear. A fascinating look at the underground tunnels in Sydney. This book is a comprehensive survey of all the underground ways dug beneath the city - from Sydney's first water supply tunnel dug not long after the first European settlement, to the recently constructed Sydney Harbour Tunnel, built using the latest technology. ISBN: 0864175256. Our Book No: 16884. $18 AUD.
82. Keyes, D .B.; Deem, A .G. (1942). Chemical Engineers' Manual: Professional Edition (1st ed). New York: John Wiley & Sons. 221 pp. Hardback small, thick flexible burgundy cloth cover (gilt title & spine lettering), very good condition, figures, tables, light foxing endpapers, slight crease front cover & last few pages, light toning edges & pages, owner's written name on front free flyleaf (another crossed out), owner's initials top & bottom edges. The purpose of this manual is to present to the chemical engineering student and practicing engineer those equations and tables which are used by the profession. The material has been taken largely from well-known textbooks and handbooks, and a serious attempt has been made to standardize the symbols throughout the entire book. This would be a great little addition to a collection of old engineering books. Our Book No: 26332. $15 AUD.
83. Kieve, Jeffrey (J. L.) (1973). Electric Telegraph: A Social and Economic History. Newton Abbot, Devon: David & Charles. 310 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), black & white photos & drawings, minor edgewear. Documents the history of the telegraph, the first method of rapid worldwide communication, from invention to the present day, and an assessment of its social and economic effects. The telegraph became, in 1886, the first private industry to be nationalised, in Britain, and so was the first to face the dilemma of providing a social service on a commercially viable basis. ISBN: 0715358839. Our Book No: 13588. $30 AUD.
84. Kok, L. P.; Boon, Mathilde E. (2003). Microwaves for the Art of Microscopy. Leiden: Coulomb Press Leyden. 368 pp. Hardback wide octavo, no jacket as issued, very good plus condition, pictorial cover, many figures (including black & white & colour text-photos), sticker rear cover. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This passionate book summarises 20 years of work by a physicist (Kok) and pathologist (Boon) to improve the microscopic examination of specimens (particularly pathological) with the use of innovative microwave techniques. ISBN: 9071421414. Our Book No: 16269. $100 AUD.
85. Kowalski, Robin M.; Limber, Susan P.; Agatston, Patricia W. (2008). Cyber Bullying: Bullying in the Digital Age (1st ed) [Cyberbullying]. Malden, MA: Blackwell. 218 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, figures, boxes, tables, minor edgewear. Provides current and essential information on the nature and prevalence of the cyberbullying epidemic. Looking at latest research, the authors have utilized vital studies involving over 3500 middle school students, online research projects and the use of social network sites, and data from focus groups of victims and perpetrators and their parents. This easy-to-read book provides educators, parents, psychologists, and policymakers with critical prevention techniques and strategies for effectively addressing electronic bullying. ISBN: 9781405159920. Our Book No: 26472. $20 AUD.
86. Labour and National Service Industrial Training Division, Department of (1950). Painting and Decorating (Reprint ed) [Technical Publication]. Melbourne: McCarron Bird Pty Ltd / Department of Labour and National Service. 155 pp. Paperback wide octavo, flexible orange cover, very good condition, typewritten-style text, drawings, edges & pages lightly toned, owner's written name. Published by arrangement with the Department of Labour and National Service of the Commonwealth of Australia, presumably for TAFE courses. Contains 21 chapters including the painter's tool kit, power tools, scaffolding, miscellaneous basic materials, surface finishes, preparing the surface for painting, colour, painting with the brush, prevention and treatment of defects, glazing, decorative wall finishes, paperhanging. Our Book No: 26674. $25 AUD.
87. Lamont-Brown, Raymond (2006). Carnegie: The Richest Man in the World (1st p/b ed). Gloucestershire: Sutton Publishing. 284 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white photos centre spread, front cover little creased & scuffed, pages faintly toned as usual, minor creasing spine, minor edgewear. Charts the life of Andrew Carnegie, from Scottish bobbin boy to steel king of America. The empire he forged in the steel furnaces of Pittsburg was sold in 1901 for $480 million, and he retired from business life as the richest man in the world. ISBN: 0750933712. Our Book No: 23268. $10 AUD.
88. Lankshear, Colin; Snyder, Ilana; Green, Bill (with) (2000). Teachers and Technoliteracy: Managing Literacy, Technology and Learning in Schools [Techno-literacy]. Sydney: Allen & Unwin. 178 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition. ISBN: 1864489464. Our Book No: 15270. $15 AUD.
89. Larkins, John (1980). Story of The Snowy Mountains: Its History and People. Sydney: Reed. 80 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white & colour photos, minor edgewear jacket (minor foxing reverse side), bottom edge lightly rubbed, spine ends lightly scuffed, faint foxing edges. The author tells the amazing story of the Snowy Mountains Scheme to build hydroelectric power stations. The photos enhance this book as a splendid look at the people's hard-won heritage. ISBN: 0589502018. Our Book No: 25023. $20 AUD.
90. Laura, Ronald S.; Ashton, John F. (1991). Hidden Hazards: The Dark Side of Everyday Technology and How It Affects Your Health and Environment. Sydney: Bantam Books. 296 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition. Two health educators, University of Newcastle, explore (and often expose) the little-known environmental and health hazards of everyday technology, such as mobile phones, microwave ovens, food additives, fluoridated water, computers and air conditioners. ISBN: 1863590382. Our Book No: 13576. $15 AUD.
91. Levine, Gustav (1991). A Guide to SPSS for Analysis of Variance (Reprint ed). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. 151 pp. Paperback small octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear. First edition, reprint. A popular review of how to compute the various types of analysis of variance (ANOVA) with the SPSS statistical program. By academic, Arizona State University. ISBN: 0805809414. Our Book No: 15437. $15 AUD.
92. Liddell, Donald M. (1930). Metallurgists and Chemists' Handbook: A Reference Book of Tables and Data for the Student and Metallurgist (3rd, reprint ed). New York: McGraw-Hill. 847 pp. Hardback small, no jacket, green cloth cover, very good condition, flyleaves lightly toned, owner's written name & date. Our Book No: 14668. $20 AUD.
93. Livett, Jill; O'Leary, Jacinta (2007). Design and Technology: VCE Units 1 - 4 (2nd, reprint ed). Melbourne: Social Science Press / Thomson. 280 pp. Paperback quarto, as new condition, black & white drawings & text-photos, colour boxes (summaries, examples), old price marks (covered by sticker). Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. The second edition of the highly regarded textbook about industrial design, materials, processes, product development, evaluation and promotion. ISBN: 9780170130639. Our Book No: 14175. $25 AUD.
94. Loewenstein, Antony (2008). The Blogging Revolution (1st ed). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press (MUP). 294 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear corners. This book is an account of bloggers around the world. The author visits Iran and Egypt, internet cafes in Saudi Arabia and Damascus, the homes of Cuban dissidents and newspaper offices in Beijing. The book examines the nature of repression in the 21st century, and the power of brave individuals who try to overcome thid tyranny. ISBN: 9780522854909. Our Book No: 28874. $15 AUD.
95. Lom, W. L.; Williams, A. F. (1976). Substitute Natural Gas: Manufacture and Properties (1st ed). London: Applied Science Publishers Ltd. 244 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, cancelled EX-LIBRARY, good plus condition, figures, tables, front cover slightly marked, top spine edge worn. Places emphasis on processes for the manufacture of substitute natural gas (SNG) from coal, but SNG manufacture from petroleum feedstocks is also covered from both technical and economic angles. These subjects are supplemented by introductory chapters on gas, and comments on replacement energy sources. ISBN: 0853346712. Our Book No: 22668. $30 AUD.
96. Maclellan, Nic; Chesneaux, Jean (1998). After Moruroa: France in the South Pacific (1st ed). Melbourne: Ocean Press. 279 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. Looks at the history of French colonialism in the Pacific - from the French Revolution to the Matigon Accords in New Caledonia, and the end of nuclear testing at Moruroa and Fangataufa atolls. The authors review the social, cultural, political and environmental impact of France's presence in the region. Document French policy over two centuries, drawing on sources from Europe, Australia and the Pacific. ISBN: 1876175052. Our Book No: 21967. $10 AUD.
97. Major, John (1971). The Oppenheimer Hearing [Historic Trials Series]. London: B. T. Batsford. 336 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos, edges lightly foxed. Relates the McCarthyite campaign against the major American contributor to the atomic bomb. Oppenheimer was the victim of the dual stupidities of postwar America, extreme anti-Communism & the cult of weapons of mass destruction as the embodiment of US national strength. ISBN: 0713412550. Our Book No: 13161. $15 AUD.
98. Manual (1950). Fork Lift Operator's Guide [Forklift Operator's Guide]. City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated. 12 pp. Paperback small, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), card cover (rubbed), very good condition, black & white drawings, owner's rubber stamp, sticker mark front cover. Estimated date: 1950. Our Book No: 4577. $10 AUD.
99. Martin, J. Rogers; Wallace, Hugh A. (1958). Design and Construction of Asphalt Pavements (1st ed). New York: McGraw Hill. 305 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket (few marks covers, small edge tears, small piece missing spine ends, corners lightly worn). A thorough manual of modern methods and technology for the design and construction of the many types of asphalt pavements in use today. Our Book No: 22380. $18 AUD.
100. Mason, Peter; Petty, Bruce (illustrator) (1979). Cauchu the Weeping Wood: A History of Rubber. Sydney: Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC). 111 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, black & white cartoons. The story of rubber, based on the ABC-TV program. ISBN: 0642972052. Our Book No: 9790. $10 AUD.
101. Mattingley, Christobel; Yamaguchi, Marianne (illustrator) (1985). The Miracle Tree (1st ed). Sydney, Lane Cove: Hodder & Stoughton. Unnum 26 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, very good condition (in good dustjacket), illustrated endpapers, black & white drawings, minor edgewear & rubbing jacket (spine little faded, reverse side lightly foxed), edges lightly foxed & toned, corners little rubbed, autograph (author's written & dated dedication). A beautiful warm children's story about families, war, care, love and hope. Three people divided by the horror and devastation of atomic war - the story of Taro the gardener, his wife Hanako and her mother. Each of them hopes and prays for a miracle and their lives are as entwined as the branches of the pine tree Taro lovingly tends. Beautifully and sensitively illustrated with charcoal drawings, this book will touch the hearts of every reader. This book would appeal to older readers or collectors of children's books. ISBN: 034037604X. Our Book No: 27455. $15 AUD.
102. Mayo, Kent (1993). She'll Be Right, Mate - Tools That Shaped Australia: An Exhibition by Uralla Historical Society at McCrossin's Mill, Uralla, NSW. Uralla, NSW: Kent Mayo / Uralla Historical Society. Unnum 32 pp. Paperback quarto, stapled pamphlet, very good condition, pale yellow paper, printed one side page only, black & white drawings, minor edgewear. Our Book No: 12706. $15 AUD.
103. Mayo-Smith, Debbie (2005). Conquer Your Email Overload: Superb Tips and Tricks for Busy People (1st ed). Auckland: Penguin Books. 274 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition. Is email taking up too much of your valuable time? Tired of spending hours sorting through unwanted emails? Ever lost one of those really important emails? Australasian IT expert and expert on Microsoft Outlook show how to conquer your email fears. ISBN: 0143020315. Our Book No: 15440. $10 AUD.
104. McGuinness, Phillipa (editor) (2015). Copyfight. Sydney: NewSouth / University of New South Wales Press. 294 pp. Paperback trade, as new condition. We expect to log on and read, watch or listen, to anything, anywhere anytime. Then copy it, share it, quote it, sample it. This leave writers, designers, filmmakers, musicians, photographers, artists, and software and game developers with no rights at all. We have forgotten how to pay for content. Are big corporations and copyright lawyers the only ones making money? Illegal downloading has become the biggest industry of all, and copyright violation a way of life. In this provocative book John Birmingham, Linda Jaivin, Marc Fennell, Clem Bastow, Lindy Morrison, Imogen Banks, Dan Hunter, Angela Bowne and others fire up the copyright debate like never before. ISBN: 9781742231150. Our Book No: 16734. $20 AUD.
105. McHugh, Siobhan (1995). The Snowy: The People Behind the Power (1st p/b ed). Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 272 pp. Paperback large wide octavo, very good condition, black & white text-photos, maps, minor edgewear corners. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. The stories of the immigrant men and women who helped build Australia's giant hydroelectric and water-diversion scheme. With over 300 photos and based on interviews with hundreds of those who were part of the Snowy Scheme, this book is a definitive account of this unique project. ISBN: 0207188017. Our Book No: 26695. $25 AUD.
106. McPherson's (1961). Ajax Handbook of Bolts, Nuts, Rivets, Screws, Spikes, Washers, Pole Line Hardware and Other Fasteners (Revised ed). Melbourne: McPherson's Ltd / Ramsay, Ware Publishing Pty Ltd. 192 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, pictorial cover, black & white photos, figures, tables, single-colour drawings (blue background with white drawings), bottom edge lightly rubbed, top spine lightly bumped, rear cover lightly marked, pastedowns & flyleaves lightly foxed, tiny annotation top corner front cover. This handbook has been prepared for the engineering industry. In addition to details of bolt dimensions and weights, technical information has been included covering manufacturing processes, bolt and thread specifications, breaking and working loads, tightening, finishes and the like. A great book for anyone interested in the history of Ajax products, or in collecting hardware catalogues. There is a photo of part of the Sydney Harbour Bridge where five million Ajax rivets were used. Our Book No: 23036. $25 AUD.
107. Mercer, M.; Mercer, D.; Smit, Bram (illustrator) & Grogan, John (technical adviser) (1956). New Ways with Plastic [Series 1]. Sydney: Central Press. 16 pp. Paperback wide octavo, stapled pamphlet (staples rusted), card cover, good plus condition, black & white drawings, front cover creased, rear cover little toned, old price marks, sticker mark. (Estimated date, 1956, Trove catalogue.) This pamphlet celebrates the new wonderful world of the use of plastic in craft designs. A companion manual to the book "Plastic: The Wonder Handcraft", by the same authors. Our Book No: 11750. $10 AUD.
108. Morawska, L. (editor); Bofinger, N. D. (editor); Maroni, M. (editor) (1995). Indoor Air: An Integrated Approach (1st stated ed). Oxford: Elsevier Publishing. 515 pp. Hardback large thick octavo, no jacket as issued, very good condition, pictorial cover, figures, tables, owner's rubber stamps including edges. Heavy (1.2 Kg), and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. This book is a selection of working session summaries presented at the International Workshop: Indoor Air - An Integrated Approach, held at the Gold Coast, Australia, 27 November to 1st December, 1994. ISBN: 0080419178. Our Book No: 25584. $70 AUD.
109. Naughton, John (1999). A Brief History of the Future: The Origins of the Internet (1st ed). London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. 320 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), minor edgewear jacket, edges & pages lightly toned. This book is an intensely personal celebration of vision and altruism, ingenuity and determination that lead to the development of the Internet. Above all, the power of ideas to change the world. ISBN: 0297643304. Our Book No: 27040. $20 AUD.
110. Norman, Donald A. (1990). The Design of Everyday Things (Reprint ed). New York: Currency / Doubleday. 257 pp. Paperback trade, good plus condition, corner tip creased rear cover, bottom edge rubbed, fore-edge little foxed, minor edgewear. Originally published as "The Psychology of Everyday Things". This bestselling classic explains how correct design of products provides a significant competitive edge. He makes a strong case for the needlessness of badly conceived and badly designed everyday objects. Even simple objects, such as doors, and instructions for operating appliances, can cause confusion when poorly designed. ISBN: 0385267746. Our Book No: 15227. $10 AUD.
111. Norris, Malcolm (1977). Brass Rubbing: An Introduction to Brasses and Brass Rubbing [Pan Craft Series]. London: Pan Books. 112 pp. Paperback large wide octavo, very good condition, black & white illustrations, crease front cover, faint toning pages & edges, top edge rear cover little scuffed, minor edgewear. A complete guide for beginner and expert alike. There are full instructions on techniques and materials followed by a history of types of brass, chapters on the people and costumes they depict, and on the old engravers and their workshops. ISBN: 0330250957. Our Book No: 27879. $15 AUD.
112. Nunn, Judy (2009). Maralinga (1st ed). Sydney: Random House. 489 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear, corners covers little creased, light creasing covers, pages lightly toned. Australian novel set in South Australia. Maralinga (nuclear testing grounds) is a desolate place where history demands an emerging nation choose between hell and reason. ISBN: 9781741666786. Our Book No: 26024. $20 AUD.
113. O'Donahue, T. A. (1904). Colliery Surveying: A Primer Designed for the Use of Students and Colliery Manager Aspirants (Reprint ed). London: Macmillan & Co. 163 pp. Hardback small, no jacket as issued, good plus condition, black & white drawings, cover little flecked, spine lightly faded, edges lightly foxed, endpapers toned & little foxed, pages lightly toned, owner's written names, spine ends chipped, rubber stamp inside front cover. Written at the request of mining and engineering students who read his articles on surveying published in "Mining" journal. The book has an easy-to-understand text, practical use, and a variety of illustrations geared towards the students who have an elementary knowledge of arithmetic. This reprint is termed a second edition, but only a few corrections were made. Our Book No: 26211. $15 AUD.
114. Orton, A (1938). The Diesel Engine: An Introductory Treatment of the Principles of Working, Construction, and Operation of Diesel Engines (Revised, reprint ed) [Pitman's Technical Primers]. London: Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons. 121 + 12 pp. Hardback small, very good condition, black & white drawings (some full-page), endpapers & edges lightly foxed, pages faintly toned, slight colour loss patch front cover, top corner front cover & spine ends lightly bumped, bookshop label spine & front pastedown, owner's written name & date front pastedown, minor edgewear. This small book explains the elements of the various types of engines, and the basic principles, methods, and construction which applies to diesel engines of all types. The book has been revised since its first edition in 1923, to bring it generally into line with present knowledge and practice. Our Book No: 29167. $18 AUD.
115. Paul, Caroline; MacNaughton, Wendy (drawings) (2013). Lost Cat: A True Story of Love, Desperation, and GPS Technology. New York: Bloomsbury. 159 pp. Hardback small, dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), colour drawings, minor edgewear jacket. A very special story about the author and her partner's cat, Tibia, who went missing for five weeks and returned. They used a tracking device to find out where he went. The drawings are charming and really bring the book to life. This would make a great addition to a cat lover's library. ISBN: 9781608199778. Our Book No: 16616. $16 AUD.
116. Perry, Gina (2012). Behind the Shock Machine: The Untold Story of the Notorious Milgram Psychology Experiments (1st ed). Melbourne: Scribe Publications. 421 pp. Paperback thick trade, very good condition, minor edgewear. This book is the true story of the most controversial psychological research of the modern era. The author listened to participants' accounts and read Milgram's files and notebooks to put together an intriguing, sensational story: Milgram's plans had gone further than anyone imagined. This is the compelling tale of one man's ambition and of the experiment that defined a generation. Includes some Australian replications. ISBN: 9781921844553. Our Book No: 26580. $20 AUD.
117. Poirier, Jean-Paul (1985). Creep of Crystals: High-Temperature Deformation Processes in Metals, Ceramics and Minerals [Cambridge Earth Science Series]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (CUP). 260 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition. This textbook describes the physics of the plastic deformation of solids at high temperatures for geologists or geophysicists interested in the high-temperature behaviour of crystals. Acquaints with the methods of materials science. Explains the most important models and recent experimental results of materials science. Also explains the essential solid-state physics, thermodynamics and hydrostatics of creep, creep models and their applications in geology, diffusion creep, and superplastic deformation and deformation enhanced by phase transformations. Extensive bibliographies are presented. ISBN: 0521278511. Our Book No: 16328. $50 AUD.
118. Provost, Stephen (1995). Computers in Psychology: A Student Guide. Sydney: HarperEducational. 106 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good plus condition, black & white drawings, rubber stamp. An introduction to the use of computers by psychology students for research, statistical analysis, experiments, laboratory reports and assignments. Now dated, but of historical interest. ISBN: 0063121662. Our Book No: 3707. $15 AUD.
119. Puri, Basant K. (1996). Statistics in Practice: An Illustrated Guide to SPSS (1st ed). London: Arnold / Hodder Headline. 134 pp. Paperback wide octavo, very good condition, figures, minor edgewear. A practical guide to statistical analysis of data using SPSS, one of the most widely used statistical computer packages. The concise text is highly illustrated with actual SPSS screens that take the student through data entry, the choice of the appropriate test, and the implementation and interpretation of the test selected. ISBN: 0340662093. Our Book No: 21436. $10 AUD.
120. Remington (1908). Directions for Using the Remington Standard Typewriter: Visible Models 10 and 11. New York: Remington Typewriter Company. 22 pp. Paperback trade, stapled pamphlet, very good condition, black & white drawings, faint vertical crease covers & pages, pages lightly toned, minor foxing edges. (Estimated date, 1908.). Our Book No: 15011. $20 AUD.
121. Replee (1992). Nudist: The Software for Qualitative Data Analysis: Getting Started on a Stand-Alone Macintosh. Melbourne: Replee Pty Ltd. 26 pp. Paperback quarto, stapled card cover (cloth along spine), very good condition. Multi-platform release 2.3 for Macintoshes, IBM-PC/Windows, Unix and VAX/VMS. Our Book No: 13961. $15 AUD.
122. Riley, Karl (1995). Tracing EMFs in Building Wiring and Grounding: A Practical Guide for Reducing AC Magnetic Fields Produced by Building Wiring and Grounding Practices. Tucson, AZ: Magnetic Sciences International. 126 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition, figures. (No ISBN listed in book.). Our Book No: 13372. $27 AUD.
123. Roberts, J. C. (1996). The Chemistry of Paper (1st ed). Herts: Royal Society of Chemistry. 190 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, tables, figures, minor edgewear, corner tips few pages little creased, owner's rubber stamp including edges. Provides an overview of the process of making paper from a chemical perspective. It deals with both the chemistry of paper as material and the chemistry of its production. ISBN: 085404518X. Our Book No: 25544. $20 AUD.
124. Roscoe, Ken; Rowe, Barry (drawings) (1975). Inventors and Inventions [Brooke Bond Picture Card Series]. London: Brooke Bond Oxo Ltd / World Wildlife Fund (WWF). Unnum 16 pp. Paperback oblong, stapled pamphlet, very good condition, picture cards tipped in (pasted in), front cover creased. Estimated date: 1975 (Brooke Bond Collectables website). Consists of a set of 40 picture tea cards (complete set) in a booklet to inform about key technological inventions, such as the telephone and the steam engine. Brooke Bond is renowned for the attractive picture cards given away in packets of tea. Our Book No: 2291A. $12 AUD.
125. Rosen, Larry D. (2007). Me, MySpace and I: Parenting the Net Generation (1st ed). Basingstoke, Hamps: Palgrave Macmillan. 258 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, tables, minor edgewear, minor pencil annotation, faint toning edges & pages, bottom corner rear cover & some pages little creased, few tiny dents front cover. This book looks at the impact of the internet on teenagers. The author brings his experiences as a father and a research psychologist together in this readable book. ISBN: 9780230600034. Our Book No: 26294. $12 AUD.
126. Ross, Ronald K.; Hunter, T. G. (foreword) (1948). A Dictionary of Petroleum Terms (1st ed). Sydney: New Century Press. 119 pp. Paperback trade, brown flexible covers, very good condition, edges lightly foxed, pages faintly toned, spine little rubbed, corners covers little worn. This dictionary has been written to help people who need some knowledge of the meaning of the terms used in the petroleum industry. The author has used simple everyday language to explain the terms used. Also be of interest to people who collect old engineering and geology books. Our Book No: 29149. $35 AUD.
127. Royal (1922). The Van Sant System of Touch Typewriting for Royal Typewriters. [New York]: Royal Typewriter Company. 40 pp. Paperback large octavo, grey cover, stapled pamphlet (stapled top edge), good plus condition, black & white drawings, typewritten text, faint horizontal crease covers & pages, pages lightly toned, minor edgewear & corner creases, minor foxing edges, owner's name & address (typewritten). Instruction booklet: the top pages are read first, then - after turning the book over - continue reading the reverse pages. Our Book No: 15014. $30 AUD.
128. Sanderman, J. W. (editor) (1953). Ford Engines: Industrial, Agricultural, Marine and Automobile (8 and 10 h.p., V8 30 h.p., Major Tractor, Consul, Zephyr Six) (1st ed). London: George Newnes. 236 pp. Hardback very small, dustjacket, very good condition (in fair dustjacket), black & white text-photos & drawings, adverts, appendix, edge pieces missing jacket (about 80% complete), protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve. Specially compiled to meet the requirements of mechanically-minded owners and operators, and for all those engaged in the maintenance and repair of these popular Ford engines. Our Book No: 4567. $15 AUD.
129. Sassower, Raphael (1995). Cultural Collisions: Postmodern Technoscience (1st ed). London: Hutchinson University Library. 156 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, faint remainder stripe. Brings postmodernism face-to-face with technoscience, and considers the viability of public works, such as the superconducting supercollider, in a postmodern age. Technoscientific projects depend upon economic and political support, and not simply upon scientific feasibility. Illuminates the cultural context of postmodern technoscience by examing postmodernism and the philosophy of late 20th century science. Stresses the indispensable role imagination and art play in the teaching the responsible development of technology in the modern world. ISBN: 0415911109. Our Book No: 20514. $10 AUD.
130. Schultz, Julianne (1985). Steel City Blues: The Human Cost of Industrial Crisis. Melbourne: Penguin Books. 282 pp. Paperback, very good condition, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear, small crease bottom edge front cover. This book tells how people tried to adapt to the massive restructuring that happened to Wollongong's steel and coal mining industries during the 1980s. Publisher lists as fiction, but reads more like non-fiction (eg, minimal dialogue). ISBN: 0140071474. Our Book No: 22552. $10 AUD.
131. Scott, O. R. (1956). Fun with Foam: Handcraft with Plastic Foam. Sydney: Central Press. 16 pp. Paperback wide octavo, stapled pamphlet, card cover (slightly creased), very good condition, black & white drawings, minor edgewear, sticker mark. (Estimated date, 1956, Trove catalogue.) This pamphlet celebrates the new wonderful use of plastic foam in craft designs. Cover subtitle: "Do It Yourself ... Patterns." A companion manual to his books "Basketry the Easy Way" and "Cane Furniture the Easy Way". Our Book No: 17450. $13 AUD.
132. Sheridan, T. (1975). Mindful Militants: The Amalgamated Engineering Union in Australia 1920 - 72 (1st stated ed) [1970 - 1972]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 329 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good plus condition, tables, pages lightly toned, reverse side jacket lightly toned (minor edgewear, few closed edge tears, corners little scuffed), laminate coating little lifting fore-edge rear cover, minor pencil annotation, erratum slip pasted flyleaf. This book traces the development over 50 years (1920 to 1972) of Australia's unique and most powerful trade union. ISBN: 0521206804. Our Book No: 28282. $20 AUD.
133. Shulman, Seth (2008). The Telephone Gambit: Chasing Alexander Graham Bell's Secret. New York: W. W. Norton. 256 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white illustrations, minor edgewear jacket, tiny hole fore-edge last two pages. The inventor of the telephone and co-founder of the National Geographic Society is challenged by the author. A stellar example of historical investigation. Throughout his career, Bell was plagued by a secret: he stole the key idea behind the invention of the telephone. While researching at MIT, science journalist Shulman scrutinized Bell's journals and found the smoking gun: a deeply buried historical deception. Delving further into Bell's life, Shulman unearthed the surprising story behind the telephone, a tale of romance, corruption and unchecked ambition. ISBN: 9780393062069. Our Book No: 24834. $15 AUD.
134. Siegel, Lee (2008). Against the Machine: Being Human in the Era of the Electronic Mob. London: Serpent's Tail / Profile Books. 182 pp. Paperback, very good condition, rear cover corner creased. A ruthless challenge to the conventional wisdom about the Internet. Argues that our ever-deepening immersion in life online doesn't just reshape the ordinary rhythms of our days; it also reshapes our minds and culture, in ways that we haven't yet reckoned. The web and its cultural correlatives and byproducts - such as the dominance of reality television and the rise of the bourgeois bohemian - have turned privacy into performance, play into commerce, and confused self-expression with art. And even as technology gurus ply their trade using the language of freedom and democracy, we cede more and more control of our freedom and individuality to the needs of the machine. This book will force you to see our culture - for better and worse - in an entirely new way. (Later subtitle: How the Web Is Reshaping Culture and Commerce -- And Why It Matters.). ISBN: 1846686970. Our Book No: 14117. $10 AUD.
135. Sikes, Bartholomew (1860). Sikes' Tables of the Concentrated Strength of Spirits, with Directions for the Use of His Hydrometer [etc] (Revised ed). City Not Stated: Publisher Not Stated. 143 + 7 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, good condition, embossed purple cloth boards, gilt title, edges little foxed, minor foxing pages, pages lightly toned, boards & edges little rubbed, light stain front pastedown, inner hinge little split (pages firm), page of calculations tipped-in front free endpaper, minor annotation rear flyleaf, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve (acetate). Title continues: "Established throughout the United Kingdom for estimating the duties of spirituous liquors. By Act of Parliament, 58 Geo. III., cap. 28. To which is added, Tables of Specific Gravity adapted to the use of the hydrometer". This special book explains the use of a hydrometer to measure the concentrated strength of spirits. This book would be a wonderful addition to a collection of culinary books, or anyone interested in the history of making spirits. Tipped-in leaf contains thermometric calculations. Our Book No: 28856. $80 AUD.
136. Simon, Bart (2002). Undead Science: Science Studies and the Afterlife of Cold Fusion (1st p/b ed). New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press. 252 pp. Paperback octavo, very good plus condition. Examines the curious story of cold fusion, a highly publicized scientific controversy in the United States. Reveals a lot about pseudoscience, as well the emotional scientific and media response. ISBN: 0813531543. Our Book No: 20788. $15 AUD.
137. Solomon, R. C. (1990). The Convicted Gunsmiths of New South Wales: A Definitive History 1788 - 1850. Sydney, Rockdale: R. C. Solomon. Unnum 220 pp. Hardback large octavo, very good condition, pictorial cover, black & white text-photos & drawings, minor foxing front endpaper & top edge, bottom edge front cover bumped, minor edgewear. (Unnum. copy of a limited edition of 1100 copies.) Ron Solomon, a past president of the Antique Arms Collectors Society of Australia, has compiled a learned study of the lives of convict artisans (English gunsmiths transported to Australia for petty crimes) and their fate in the harsh environment of the penal colony. ISBN: 0646003429. Our Book No: 13361. $40 AUD.
138. Standage, Tom (2002). The Mechanical Turk: The True Story of the Chess-Playing Machine that Fooled the World. London: Penguin Books. 274 pp. Hardback octavo, two dustjackets, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), illustrated endpapers, black & white drawings (including frontispiece), minor edgewear jacket. The story of the Hungarian nobleman, Wolfgang von Kempelen, who in 1769 made a mechanical man called The Turk who was capable of playing chess. Part historical detective story, part real-life fairy tale, the mystery of The Turk has assumed a new significance in the computer age, as scientists and philosophers continue to debate the possibility of machine intelligence. ISBN: 0713995254. Our Book No: 26247. $20 AUD.
139. Steele Gordon, John (2002). A Thread Across the Ocean: The Heroic Story of the Transatlantic Cable (1st ed). London: Simon & Schuster. 238 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, black & white text-photos & drawings, pages & inside covers lightly toned, minor edgewear, barcode sticker inside rear cover. This book is about the spirit of an age as a group of Victorian entrepreneurs fought to realise a dream that revolutionised communication for ever. The book tells the story of this epic struggle that would require a decade of effort, millions of dollars in capital, the solution of innumerable technological problems and uncommon physical, financial, and intellectual courage. These men had changed the world when the project was completed. ISBN: 0743231279. Our Book No: 26919. $12 AUD.
140. Stott (1923). Stott & Hoare's Typewriting Manual: Touch Typewriting: Sections 1 & 2 (2 booklets). Sydney: Stott & Hoare's Business College. 32 + 42 pp. Each volume: Hardback small folio (30 x 21.3 cm), thick card cover (green cloth spine, little soiled), good condition, pages lightly toned, rubber stamps, edgewear. Volume 1: Front cover vertically torn (repaired), board exposed bottom corner front cover, owner's written name. Instruction booklets. Section 1 contains Lessons 1 - 52. Section 2 contains Lessons 51 - 69. Cover of both volumes has rubber stamp (over Stott & Hoare): "Chartres Business College amalgamated with". Loosely inserted: Remington Typewriter Keyboard Diagram (one sheet, edge tears repaired). Our Book No: 15015. $100 AUD.
141. Tapscott, Don; Williams, Anthony D. (2007). Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything (1st U.K. ed). London: Atlantic Books. 324 pp. Paperback trade, very good plus condition, minor edgewear. A definitive investigation into how small business can achieve success in the emerging world of advanced technology. Based on a $9 million research project, shows how masses of people can participate in the economy like never before. They are creating TV news stories, sequencing the human genome, remixing their favorite music, designing software, finding a cure for disease, editing school texts, inventing new cosmetics, or even building motorcycles. While some leaders fear the growth of massive online communities, this book proves this fear is folly. Smart firms can harness collective capability and genius to spur innovation, growth, and success. ISBN: 9781843547181. Our Book No: 23106. $10 AUD.
142. Tishkoff, J. M. (editor); Ingobe, R. D. (editor); Kennedy, J. B. (editor) (1984). Liquid Particle Size Measurement Techniques [ASTM Special Technical Publication]. Philadelphia: ASTM Publications. 197 pp. Hardback octavo, pictorial green cover, very good condition, figures (including text-photos), tables, minor edgewear. Conference proceedings from a symposium sponsored By ASTM Committee E-29 on Particle Size Measurement, Kansas City, MO, 23 - 24 June 1983. About methods of measuring particle sizes in liquid emitted by spraying equipment. ISBN: 0803102275. Our Book No: 14597. $16 AUD.
143. Tronson, Mark (1989). Australian Diesel Locomotive Handbook. Wallacia, NSW: IFH Publishing. 160 pp. Paperback trade, very good condition, many black & white text-photos, minor edgewear. A pictorial guide to Australian diesel locomotives. Each type has a short description, photo, and study questions for enthusiasts. The author is a trainee engineman, who became a Baptist minister, but still retained his love of trains. ISBN: 0959110283. Our Book No: 14061. $20 AUD.
144. Trower, Jonathan K. (1989). Using Minitab for Introductory Statistical Analysis. Columbus, OH: Merrill Publishing. 168 pp. Paperback large quarto, very good condition, minor edgewear. How to use Minitab, a popular and simple computer statistics program. Many exercises included. (Incorrect ISBN on rear cover.). ISBN: 0675210151. Our Book No: 11384. $15 AUD.
145. Utick, Stephen (2008). Captain Charles: Engineer of Charity: The Remarkable Life of Charles Gordon O'Neill. Sydney: Allen & Unwin. 276 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, colour & black & white photos centre spread, minor edgewear, presentation bookplate. The extraordinary saga of Irish-Scottish migrant 'Captain' Charles Gordon O'Neill. He was an engineer, inventor, parliamentarian and philanthropist, but is most noted as a principal co-founder of the St Vincent de Paul Society in Australia and New Zealand. Sponsored by the St Vincent de Paul Society. ISBN: 9781741753783. Our Book No: 16362. $20 AUD.
146. Vladimorov, Leonid (1971). The Russian Space Bluff [The Inside Story of the Soviet Drive to the Moon and Beyond]. London: Tom Stacey. 192 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good plus condition (in very good plus dustjacket), black & white photos centre spread. Inside story of the Soviet space drive, and how the Americans greatly over-rated the Soviet threat. Written by a Russian engineer and scientific editor, who had direct contact with the Soviet space scientists, who had to face immense bureaucratic, political and security precautions. ISBN: 0854680233. Our Book No: 2827. $18 AUD.
147. von Braun, Wernher; Ordway III, Frederick I. (1976). The Rockets' Red Glare (1st stated ed) [An Illustrated History of Rocketry Through the Ages]. Garden City, NY: Anchor Press / Doubleday. 212 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in good plus dustjacket), glossy paper, black & white & colour photos, dual binding (has superior binding along spine), edge tears jacket, protected by removable semiarchival plastic sleeve (secondhand Brodart). Two of the world's foremost authorities on rocketry trace its development from antiquity to modern times in this beautifully illustrated book. They describe the varied uses of rockets for fireworks, signals, harpooning whales, carrying mail, lifesaving, and high-altitude photography - and of course, military. Von Braun (father of the American space program) reveals little-known details of his invention of the V-2 rocket for Germany during World War 2 (WW2), which were used to blitz London. ISBN: 0385078471. Our Book No: 15843. $15 AUD.
148. Walker, R. R. (1973). The Magic Spark: The Story of the First Fifty Years of Radio in Australia (1st ed) [50 Years]. Melbourne: Hawthorn Press. 192 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), black & white photos, minor edgewear jacket, owner's written name title page. To celebrate radio's Golden Jubilee, the author has written a full and colourful description of this popular medium. This book is more than a history, it is a personal record of times past and present and a forecast of things to come. ISBN: 0725601167. Our Book No: 2589. $22 AUD.
149. Weil, Michelle; Rosen, Harry D. (1997). TechnoStress: Coping with Technology @Work @Home @Play (1st ed). New York: John Wiley. 240 pp. Hardback dustjacket, as new condition (in as new dustjacket). The authors - clinical psychologist and psychology professor - draw on 16 years studying the psychology of technology. The first substantial book about the stress caused by trying to operate modern technology - emails, web sites, VCRs, fax machines - and not forgetting multitasking. Shows how humans are losing control of the technology that was supposed to set us free. Shows how to banish technostress from your life. ISBN: 0471177091. Our Book No: 15531. $15 AUD.
150. Wertheim, Margaret (1999). The Pearly Gates of Cyberspace: A History of Space from Dante to the Internet (Australian ed). Sydney: Doubleday. 336 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), few black &white text-photos, pages toned as usual, bottom corners lightly bumped. Australian-born science writer explains the distinction between physical and spiritual space throughout history, and how the latter is re-emerging via the internet. Argues that one way of understanding cyberspace is as an attempt to realize an electronic version of heaven. Proposes that cyberspace, an outgrowth of modern science, represents a return to medieval, spiritual concerns. ISBN: 0868247448. Our Book No: 11719. $15 AUD.
151. Wilkinson, Stephan (2005). Man and Machine (1st ed). Guilford, CT: Lyons Press. 196 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, minor edgewear. A surprising report on the high-speed, high-risk world of restored jets, fast boats, and Formula 1 cars. He visits a factory where Amish men build custom ambulances, flies an airliner from the glory days of air travel, and has many adventures along the way. ISBN: 159228812X. Our Book No: 22619. $14 AUD.
152. Wood, John (2013). Creating Room to Read: A Story of Hope in the Battle for Global Literacy (1st thus ed). Melbourne: Penguin Group Australia. 290 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, minor edgewear. The American executive left Microsoft in 1999 to set up "Room to Read", a nonprofit organization that promotes reading books and education across the developing world, starting in Nepal. Followup book to "Leaving Microsoft to Change the World". This book shares moving stories of the people "Room to Read" works to help: impoverished children whose schools and villages have been swept away by war or natural disaster and girls whose education would otherwise be ignored. This is a very special story that will interest people at any level of finance, government, and philanthropy, as well as general readers. ISBN: 9780670015436. Our Book No: 28867. $18 AUD.
153. Wright, John M. (2000). John Wright Remembers (1st ed) [The Autobiography of John M. Wright]. Sydney, Avalon: Halbooks Publishing. 312 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, few black & white text-photos, minor edgewear, tiny scuff base spine, cover corners creased & lightly worn. The author writes about his rural English childhood, life and work in pre-War and Blitz London, emigrating to Australia 1941, establishing a cable-making factory in war-time Australia, technological and business recollections of the rubber and foam industries, and his travels in New Guinea and Bougainville Island. ISBN: 0958580758. Our Book No: 25686. $18 AUD.
154. Yu, Albert (1998). Creating the Digital Future: The Secrets of Consistent Innovation at Intel. New York: Free Press. 214 pp. Hardback dustjacket, very good condition (in very good dustjacket). Shows how, in an unforgiving technological environment, Intel Corporation has become the undisputed trailblazer of microprocessor and silicon technologies. An expert insider reveals that the key lies in Intel's ability to reinvent itself. Intel "obsoletes" its own products and relentlessly raises the bar to the next level. The results-oriented, hyper-innovative, creative Intel culture thrives on fresh ideas, risk-taking, and learning from failure. Volume is a key to profits. Interactions between customers, marketers and engineers often generate sparks that spawn great products. ISBN: 0684839881. Our Book No: 14359. $15 AUD.
155. Zannetti, Paola (1990). Air Pollution Modeling: Theories, Computational Methods and Available Software (Reprint ed). New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold. 444 pp. Hardback octavo, no jacket, very good condition, pictorial cover, figures, tables, rear cover top corner bumped, front cover bottom corner bumped, spine ends lightly bumped, owner's rubber stamps including edges. Heavy, and extra postage may be requested to destinations outside Australia. Introduces relevant historical and recently-developed examples of modelling techniques for traditional problems including point source dispersion, plume rise, windfield estimation, and surface deposition. Discussed are a number of contemporary and emergent air quality modeling issues including visibility, dense gas dispersion, indoor air pollution, photochemical oxidants, and global air quality. An invaluable resource to people in the scientific, educational and public policy communities dealing with these problems. ISBN: 0442308051. Our Book No: 25565. $30 AUD.
156. Zimmerman, Andrea; Clemesha, David; Rosenthal, Marc (illustrator) (2004). Dig! (Modern reprint ed). Orlando, FL: Harcourt Inc. Unnum 32 pp. Hardback small quarto, dustjacket, pictorial cover, orange endpapers, very good condition (in very good dustjacket), colour drawings, minor edgewear jacket (few light creases), few tiny dents along spine. This charming children's picture book follows Mr Rally and his dog, Lighting (or Lightning), as they travel the town on a big yellow digging machine, taking care of five important building jobs. ISBN: 9780152167851. Our Book No: 27955. $12 AUD.
157. Zuckerman, Gregory (2013). The Frackers: The Outrageous Inside Story of the New Energy Revolution. London: Portfolio / Penguin Books. 404 pp. Paperback octavo, very good condition, black & white photos, spine little creased, laminate top edge front cover lightly lifting, pages faintly toned, minor edgewear corners. Explains the meaning of fracking, which is hydraulic fracturing of extremely dense shale to extract natural gas, and how dangerous it is. The author gained exclusive access to the frackers, enabling him to write the untold story of how they transformed the world. This dramatic story tracks brutal competition among headstrong drillers, and the angry opposition brought about by this revolution. ISBN: 9780670923570. Our Book No: 28702. $20 AUD.